Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 01:19 PM   #151
AmyandMichael
Mouseketeer

Husband and disabilities

First time on this board and I have a random question. In the past year my husband was diagnosed with a Charcot foot (diabetic disabilty) and will be using a handicapped sticker for the car along with a scooter. When we get to the parks, how do we get on the trams or is there a place to parks closer? We know the monorails will be no issue but are concerned about people waiting for us. Our daughter will also be coming with us and will have just had club foot surgery so she will not be able to walk far either and will probably need a stroller. I do not want to inconvenience anyone, just trying to take some stress away so they can have a magical time as we celebrate her 5th birthday and our Family Adoption Day! Thanks for any input!

Read our family's adoption story at www.thechristopherfamily.blogspot.com
AmyandMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #152
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyandMichael View Post
First time on this board and I have a random question. In the past year my husband was diagnosed with a Charcot foot (diabetic disabilty) and will be using a handicapped sticker for the car along with a scooter. When we get to the parks, how do we get on the trams or is there a place to parks closer? We know the monorails will be no issue but are concerned about people waiting for us. Our daughter will also be coming with us and will have just had club foot surgery so she will not be able to walk far either and will probably need a stroller. I do not want to inconvenience anyone, just trying to take some stress away so they can have a magical time as we celebrate her 5th birthday and our Family Adoption Day! Thanks for any input!
You can't get on the trams with a skooter. With a the sticker on the car you may follow the blue lines for parking.

Happy 5th Birthday to your dd. Be sure to stop at guest services at the park to be able to use the stroller as wheelchair.
lovethattink is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2013, 10:51 PM   #153
huhwhat
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=dsneprincess;47215175]I thank God every time we go that we do not need a GAC. However, our very close friends do need one for their ds that struggles daily with autism. My son & he are close friends: I *know* they wouldn't be able to visit WDW without the GAC accomadations. I do not know how they are accomadated & it is not my business to know. I know how quickly his disease makes circumstances change & a hand written return in 2 hours would NOT work. He needs a more concrete response than that, not that he can't wait, but he needs to "see" that he is waiting for, say, space mountain, not we can come back later. I don't think there is a whole lot of "time" understanding.

This is my story...if not for the GAC we wold not be able to attend WDW. We did try for two visits not to get the GAC because we did not want the judgemental stares because my sons outward appearence is "normal" ... we delt with many meltdowns....waiting in line for an hour only to get one ride way from getting on and my ds having a complete meltdown , leaving the line, to have him calm down , then meltdown again when we had to start the process all over !

This past trip was our first experience with the GAC , it was like a first trip experience. We did not get FOTL access bit what we did get was an enjoyable vacation, my ds was so happy I actually teared up a few times. I hope they do not change the current way they handle the GAC, it made such a difference to my family.
PoP 2010,2011,2011
WDL 2008
huhwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:52 PM   #154
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

[QUOTE=huhwhat;47529570]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsneprincess View Post
I thank God every time we go that we do not need a GAC. However, our very close friends do need one for their ds that struggles daily with autism. My son & he are close friends: I *know* they wouldn't be able to visit WDW without the GAC accomadations. I do not know how they are accomadated & it is not my business to know. I know how quickly his disease makes circumstances change & a hand written return in 2 hours would NOT work. He needs a more concrete response than that, not that he can't wait, but he needs to "see" that he is waiting for, say, space mountain, not we can come back later. I don't think there is a whole lot of "time" understanding.

This is my story...if not for the GAC we wold not be able to attend WDW. We did try for two visits not to get the GAC because we did not want the judgemental stares because my sons outward appearence is "normal" ... we delt with many meltdowns....waiting in line for an hour only to get one ride way from getting on and my ds having a complete meltdown , leaving the line, to have him calm down , then meltdown again when we had to start the process all over !

This past trip was our first experience with the GAC , it was like a first trip experience. We did not get FOTL access bit what we did get was an enjoyable vacation, my ds was so happy I actually teared up a few times. I hope they do not change the current way they handle the GAC, it made such a difference to my family.
Stories like this is exactly what the GAC is meant to do. So glad you had a great trip!

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:59 PM   #155
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
Interesting thing about the written word. It can be interpreted diferently by different people. I haven't read anything that I would consider nasty, just different people with different experiences talking about them.
As others have pointed out, a series of posts were deleted. They happened in quick succession, and the DIS only lets you know by email about the first post since your last visit to the site. This could be how you missed the whole exchange. Trust me, your day was brighter for having missed the drama. Luckily this thread overall has been a lot of good ideas, stories, and viewpoints. I hope that some of the people here will communicate this information to Disney corporate to include in their planning.

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:41 AM   #156
3Leafs
DIS Veteran

I can so relate with the Autism. My ds9 is autistic. I am currently working on a schedule for him for our trip next month. I am making a book telling him what park we are going to each day and where we are eating. I have to go as far as printing the menu for him so he doesn't stress when we go to order. If it weren't for the GAC pass I know we would never be able to go. I am so grateful for it. I am also grateful for those of you that understand.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #157
huhwhat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Leafs View Post
I can so relate with the Autism. My ds9 is autistic. I am currently working on a schedule for him for our trip next month. I am making a book telling him what park we are going to each day and where we are eating. I have to go as far as printing the menu for him so he doesn't stress when we go to order. If it weren't for the GAC pass I know we would never be able to go. I am so grateful for it. I am also grateful for those of you that understand.
I know exactly how you feel...now if only they had something like this for meet and greets ! The GAC is a game changer for families with kids with ASD.
PoP 2010,2011,2011
WDL 2008
Old 02-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #158
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhwhat View Post
I know exactly how you feel...now if only they had something like this for meet and greets ! The GAC is a game changer for families with kids with ASD.
The only problem with that is the characters can only stay out for so long. So they have a good idea of when to cut the line off, but then people show up with a GAC that allows them to (for lack of a better word) cut the line...well what about those at the end of the line? They are now not going to get to see that character because the character CANNOT stay out past a certain point!
I understand what you are saying, but it just isn't reasonably possible. Your best bet is have someone wait in line and then join them.
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #159
3Leafs
DIS Veteran

That's how we do it. Just stinks with all the dirty looks we get. It's really hard to live in a world with such harsh judgements.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #160
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchlovestink View Post
The only problem with that is the characters can only stay out for so long. So they have a good idea of when to cut the line off, but then people show up with a GAC that allows them to (for lack of a better word) cut the line...well what about those at the end of the line? They are now not going to get to see that character because the character CANNOT stay out past a certain point!
I understand what you are saying, but it just isn't reasonably possible. Your best bet is have someone wait in line and then join them. es
That is a very good suggestion and gives the most predictable outcome for everyone.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:45 PM   #161
huhwhat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I understand what you are saying, but it just isn't reasonably possible. Your best bet is have someone wait in line and then join them.
When we were waiting so meet Tigger and Pooh , the CM announced that Tigger and Pooh would be right back, we had been waiting 20 minutes, not too long...well only Tigger came back....ugghhhhh...thankfully a child in line ahead of us had an Ipad and my ds was fixed on that....so we met Tigger and Pooh never returned, whew, avoided that one !
PoP 2010,2011,2011
WDL 2008
Old 02-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #162
3Leafs
DIS Veteran

We bought our son a tablet for Christmas and this has been such a blessing. I plan on taking it to Disney with us for when we do have to wait long. Even waiting for our food to come at dinner with all the stimulation around him can be a headache. We try to mainly do buffets so he can eat right away.

Glad you were able to distract your son with the tablet huhwhat. Nothing like a meltdown at Disney..
Old 02-18-2013, 04:01 PM   #163
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhwhat View Post
Yes. The fast pass with Mickey, Minnie, and the Princesses was a great improvement!

If only there were more airconditioned meet and greets! That had fast passes.

My son can only see the outdoor characters on cool days.

Quote:
Your best bet is have someone wait in line and then join them.
That works great for those parties of 2 or more adults or a responsible child who can hold the place in line; not so great for those parties of only 1 adult/gardian.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #164
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink

Yes. The fast pass with Mickey, Minnie, and the Princesses was a great improvement!

If only there were more airconditioned meet and greets!

My son can only see the outdoor characters on cool days.

That works great for those parties of 2 or more adults or a responsible child who can hold the place in line; not so great for those parties of only 1 adult/gardian.
I DO understand your phlight...but what "is" Disney to do??? The fur characters can only stay out 'so long'. And if they allow people with a GAC to 'cut the line', how is that fair to those who were in line on time and now don't get to see that character?? If the shoe was on the other foot and your child (who had their heart set on meeting that character and were in line in TIME to!) were now the person who got cut off from seeing that character because they let others cut in front...Well how would you feel?? The way they currently do it really is the only fair way to ALL guests. Yes, I agree it Sucks if you only have one parent/child, but I would imagine that there have to be other things/diversions you can use So I guess maybe using some of those 'tactics/devices/deversions' is the option if you really want to meet the characters. I'm truly sorry it's not a more positive answer but I DO understand why they don't accept the GAC at meet & greets. It's a recipe for disaster IMO.

Last edited by SueM in MN; 02-18-2013 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Sarcastic
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:33 PM   #165
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I DO understand your phlight...but what "is" Disney to do??? The fur characters can only stay out 'so long'. And if they allow people with a GAC to 'cut the line', how is that fair to those who were in line on time and now don't get to see that character?? If the shoe was on the other foot and your child (who had their heart set on meeting that character and were in line in TIME to!) were now the person who got cut off from seeing that character because they let others cut in front...Well how would you feel?? The way they currently do it really is the only fair way to ALL guests. Yes, I agree it Sucks if you only have one parent/child, but I would imagine that there have to be other things/diversions you can use . So I guess maybe using some of those 'tactics/devices/deversions' is the option if you really want to meet the characters. I'm truly sorry it's not a more positive answer but I DO understand why they don't accept the GAC at meet & greets. It's a recipe for disaster IMO.
My suggestion isn't accepting GACs, it's to continue to make new M&G's in the airconditioning and have fast passes for them.

I was disappointed with the new Ariel M&G. The noise level was horrible in there. We walked in and right back out on a passholder preview day with my son crying because it hurt his ears so badly. A cm saw this and took him a different way to see her. I assume that will be his last visit to Ariel unless something has been done to reduce the sound in the "cave".

Last edited by SueM in MN; 02-18-2013 at 05:00 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: