Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #136
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran
 
tinkerpea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: RAF Henlow England
Posts: 2,106

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPeveler

The only ride I know them doing this for is RSR. I understand they were trying to spread out the flow of wheelchairs because the secondary line was getting too long at times.

One of the reasons I understand them NOT doing this at other rides is the extra man power. It takes anywhere from a team of 2-4 CMs just to man the line to give out the return FPs.

I can see how this could be helpful for a few big attractions, but there are not many rides in DL with FP and most of THOSE are not wheelchair accessible. Only a handful in DCA are. Also, as others have said, this means I wait in 3 lines (for the return pass, in the line, then in the wheelchair line), PLUS the time I wait elsewhere waiting for my turn. It generally ends up being longer than the standby wait.
This Is why I asked if its only at RSR as I know Disney world definitely does not use this practice, it's unrealistic to be done with every ride and utterly unfair too IMO.
They will have to come up with something better then this! 3 lines for 1 ride, this is not equal access in the slightest.
__________________


Me 28,DH 32,DS 10, DS"Twins"8
tinkerpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #137
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran
 
tinkerpea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: RAF Henlow England
Posts: 2,106

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy

It seems to be a standard practice at DLR for RSR. While not exactly common, it does happen on occasion at WDW for any ride. If there is reason to limit access to the attraction or alternate entrance, a handwritten FP may be given. This could be due to too many already in line for the accessible ride car, a medical emergency in the alternate wait area, etc.
That's why I asked. " I've" never known this to happen at DW,
__________________


Me 28,DH 32,DS 10, DS"Twins"8
tinkerpea is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #138
blondietink
DIS Veteran
 
blondietink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Western New York State
Posts: 1,703

I have not followed any updates at Disneyland, mostly because I don't think we will ever go there. But I fail to understand why, after having issues with access at HS's TSMM, would they ever build another ride with similar line issues (stairs? really?). I also don't know much about fire codes, etc, but I have always thought the the line snaking up and down the stairs at TSMM is a real hazard if there was an emergency situation.

My DS can walk for short periods of time, so for TSMM we get a regular FP and go back at the allotted time, go through the FP lane and before going up the stairs, a CM always tries to guide us over to the accessible line (DS's disability is very visable). We politely say no, he can walk up the stairs fine and continue on. We look at the accessible line (always huge) when boarding from the regular line, and inevitably by the time we get off the ride, the same people are still waiting in the accessible line. We did try the accessible line a few times, but it takes a very long time to load/unload people from it ... and the CM's really hustle!

So, I cannot for the life of me figure out why they designed a ride with similar issues at Disneyland. Just MHO.
__________________
Barb
blondietink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:37 PM   #139
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,277

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondietink
I have not followed any updates at Disneyland, mostly because I don't think we will ever go there. But I fail to understand why, after having issues with access at HS's TSMM, would they ever build another ride with similar line issues (stairs? really?). I also don't know much about fire codes, etc, but I have always thought the the line snaking up and down the stairs at TSMM is a real hazard if there was an emergency situation.

My DS can walk for short periods of time, so for TSMM we get a regular FP and go back at the allotted time, go through the FP lane and before going up the stairs, a CM always tries to guide us over to the accessible line (DS's disability is very visable). We politely say no, he can walk up the stairs fine and continue on. We look at the accessible line (always huge) when boarding from the regular line, and inevitably by the time we get off the ride, the same people are still waiting in the accessible line. We did try the accessible line a few times, but it takes a very long time to load/unload people from it ... and the CM's really hustle!

So, I cannot for the life of me figure out why they designed a ride with similar issues at Disneyland. Just MHO.
I agree that is can long....BUT there have been times at TSMM where I have gotten right on and this has happened multiple times. It can depend on the time of the day too!! On my January trip,I rode 5 times. Twice, I literally got right on as in within a minute or two of getting to that gate...once I literally couldn't board fast enough because they were filling the 'other' empty car. Two times I waited in the 15-20 minute range and once I waited about 10 minuntes. Once it was slow enough, the CM's let this other gentleman and me ride again without getting off because there was NO ONE waiting to board the ride!!! I guess everyone can have different experiences, but I don't find TSMM to be nearly as bad as everyone else claims. Not saying their experiences are wrong, I guess I've just been very lucky!!!
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:43 PM   #140
cmwade77
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,833

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchlovestink View Post
I agree that is can long....BUT there have been times at TSMM where I have gotten right on and this has happened multiple times. It can depend on the time of the day too!! On my January trip,I rode 5 times. Twice, I literally got right on as in within a minute or two of getting to that gate...once I literally couldn't board fast enough because they were filling the 'other' empty car. Two times I waited in the 15-20 minute range and once I waited about 10 minuntes. Once it was slow enough, the CM's let this other gentleman and me ride again without getting off because there was NO ONE waiting to board the ride!!! I guess everyone can have different experiences, but I don't find TSMM to be nearly as bad as everyone else claims. Not saying their experiences are wrong, I guess I've just been very lucky!!!
It is actually rare that TSMM has a line in the accessible queue anymore at DCA and 9 times out of 10, you can ride as many times as you want in a row. Two is usually my limits, as my arm is sore after that, but they would let us go again if we wanted to.

When TSMM first opened, up through about a year and half later, the accessible queue was almost always filled. I would expect RSR to end up being the same way in the long run, but it may take a little more time to level off.

The more I think about it, the FP+ infrastructure could be utilized to fix these kinds of issues with GACs and actually provide equal access. It will probably take a bit to get it just right, but it is possible.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:36 AM   #141
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

 
SueM in MN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Twin Cities area,Minnesota,USA
Posts: 30,548
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
It is actually rare that TSMM has a line in the accessible queue anymore at DCA and 9 times out of 10, you can ride as many times as you want in a row. Two is usually my limits, as my arm is sore after that, but they would let us go again if we wanted to.

When TSMM first opened, up through about a year and half later, the accessible queue was almost always filled. I would expect RSR to end up being the same way in the long run, but it may take a little more time to level off.

The more I think about it, the FP+ infrastructure could be utilized to fix these kinds of issues with GACs and actually provide equal access. It will probably take a bit to get it just right, but it is possible.
Toy Story at WDW does usually have a long wait when we have gone (we go to WDW twice a year for long trips in non busy times). Our experience is usually what blondietink described with a long wait at the accessible boarding area.
The line usually extends at least from the boarding area back to the first bend of the ramp and we have seen it extend back to about 10 feet from the start of the ramp. We have never been able to ride twice - there are always people waiting when we reach the end and I don't know of anyone who has been able to ride twice at WDW.

I obviously don't know why everyone is in the accessible line - some are obvious with wheelchairs, etc. some have no visible need, but could have issues with stairs. My guess is that some are just there because they have a GAC and could do the stairs, but are routed there or think they need to be there because of the GAC. Even though a GAC has specific stamps, it is still pretty general and non-specific about the needs of the specific guest it was issued to.

I agree that there are probably ways that Fastpass Plus could be used to equalize waits a bit more and improve the experience. An RFID equipped GAC would 'know' where it was and could have more specific information available about the guest's needs related to their disability and the best accommodations available at that time for that specific attraction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondietink View Post
I have not followed any updates at Disneyland, mostly because I don't think we will ever go there. But I fail to understand why, after having issues with access at HS's TSMM, would they ever build another ride with similar line issues (stairs? really?). I also don't know much about fire codes, etc, but I have always thought the the line snaking up and down the stairs at TSMM is a real hazard if there was an emergency situation.

My DS can walk for short periods of time, so for TSMM we get a regular FP and go back at the allotted time, go through the FP lane and before going up the stairs, a CM always tries to guide us over to the accessible line (DS's disability is very visable). We politely say no, he can walk up the stairs fine and continue on. We look at the accessible line (always huge) when boarding from the regular line, and inevitably by the time we get off the ride, the same people are still waiting in the accessible line. We did try the accessible line a few times, but it takes a very long time to load/unload people from it ... and the CM's really hustle!

So, I cannot for the life of me figure out why they designed a ride with similar issues at Disneyland. Just MHO.
The WDW and DL rides were designed and built at the same time and the DL one opened less than a month after the one at WDW, so they had no experience with back up in the accessible line at the time to DL ride was being built.

I understand why they did it - the stairs take guest over the extra piece of track that goes to the handicapped boarding area. The bad effect is that anyone who can't use the stairs for whatever reason is forced to use the accessible boarding area to avoid them.
The good effect is that guests with disabilities have extra time to board and there is time to do a change over of the ride car to make it wheelchair accessible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerpea View Post
That's why I asked. " I've" never known this to happen at DW,
We have had a 'come back' hand written Fastpass to different attractions at WDW a number of times. The last time was as recently as on our trip in October 2012, when there was a long line for guests traveling with wheelchairs and ECVs at Jungle Cruise. I know of other people who have had the same thing happen, which is why I say it is a possibility ( maybe not likely, but possible).
It can happen any time the number of guests with special needs (whether in whelchairs or not) is greater than the attraction can handle. This could happen because of space, staffing or reaching the number of guests who would need to be evacuated in an emergency.

We have also been asked to come back at attractions without Fastpass - such as Pirates, because they did not have enough staff to move DD's personal wheelchair from boarding to the unload area. So, yes, my family has experienced it.
__________________
SueM in MN
Moderator of disABILITIES
Link to disABILITIES FAQs thread

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:38 AM   #142
Emagine
DVC Member
 
Emagine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: DVC Mom smoothered in the Homeschool Room teaching 2 Autistically Wonderful Boys
Posts: 408

Question about TSM at WDW. My son can do the stairs but we will have his Service Dog with us this trip. Can we do the stairs and let wheelchairs go where needed? I did not know if maybe they would split us up at the bottom. Instead of a party of 4, be two and hand off the dog like a swap. Just wondering how to make it easier for other ppl as well.
Emagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:21 PM   #143
ttintagel
DIS Veteran
 
ttintagel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,012

I predict that the long waits in all of the queues at RSR are more a product of novelty than anything else, and will die down the way they did at DCA's version of TSMM.

I think the main reason the waits haven't died down at DHS's TSMM is that there aren't a lot of other popular family rides in DHS, so absolutely everybody floods there.
__________________
Last visited Walt Disney World 11/27/12 - 12/03/12
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:10 AM   #144
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,277

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
Toy Story at WDW does usually have a long wait when we have gone (we go to WDW twice a year for long trips in non busy times). Our experience is usually what blondietink described with a long wait at the accessible boarding area.
The line usually extends at least from the boarding area back to the first bend of the ramp and we have seen it extend back to about 10 feet from the start of the ramp. We have never been able to ride twice - there are always people waiting when we reach the end and I don't know of anyone who has been able to ride twice at WDW.
No, it's not the norm, but Yes, I did get to ride twice in January. It was around the 21st. It wasn't busy that evening. So the CMs let us go twice. And I have seen the line empty or near empty there.
I'm going back in a little under a month. I guess I'll take some photos and post them to prove my statements since it seems that I'm not believable.
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:39 AM   #145
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

 
SueM in MN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Twin Cities area,Minnesota,USA
Posts: 30,548
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchlovestink View Post
No, it's not the norm, but Yes, I did get to ride twice in January. It was around the 21st. It wasn't busy that evening. So the CMs let us go twice. And I have seen the line empty or near empty there.
I'm going back in a little under a month. I guess I'll take some photos and post them to prove my statements since it seems that I'm not believable.
I gave our experience, which matched another posters. No one said yours is not believable, just not commonly reported by other posters.
__________________
SueM in MN
Moderator of disABILITIES
Link to disABILITIES FAQs thread

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:09 AM   #146
mrsksomeday
My Prince uses a power wheelchair!
 
mrsksomeday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 7,631

We have been to WDW eleven times. Bill uses a power wheelchair so we use the accessible ride vehice at TSMM. We have been able to stay on and continue to ride on 3 separate trips. It is not the norm, but it does happen.
mrsksomeday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #147
KPeveler
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 6 miles from Disneyland
Posts: 4,024
DISboards Moderator

There has been some nastiness in this thread recently, but hopefully we can all move on in a positive manner. Other than the recent posts, this thread has been a very good discussion. As long as that discussion continues in a positive direction, we will keep the thread open. Thanks
__________________
~Katy~

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #148
cmwade77
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,833

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPeveler View Post
There has been some nastiness in this thread recently, but hopefully we can all move on in a positive manner. Other than the recent posts, this thread has been a very good discussion. As long as that discussion continues in a positive direction, we will keep the thread open. Thanks
Interesting thing about the written word. It can be interpreted diferently by different people. I haven't read anything that I would consider nasty, just different people with different experiences talking about them.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:31 PM   #149
crashbb
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,479

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
Interesting thing about the written word. It can be interpreted diferently by different people. I haven't read anything that I would consider nasty, just different people with different experiences talking about them.
Posts have been deleted.
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:38 PM   #150
cmwade77
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,833

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbb View Post
Posts have been deleted.
Ok, that makes sense then, but I never even got them in my email.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: