Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
1pixiemom
Long Time DIS Board user

Just found out I have gestational Diabetes

Just found out I have gestational diabetes at 9 weeks and we leave for Disney World in 3 days..... dont even know if I can see the nutritionist before I leave Im so worried that something is going to go horribly wrong.... Not to mention eating at DW is going to be hard...

These are our ADR's

Boma's
Crystal Palace
Ohana's
Ragland Road

any food suggestions would be very helpful...
1pixiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
keltiesmom
Mouseketeer

I haven't got diabetes, and never have, but my ex did and I took a course with him. Take my advice lightly, fruit can cause your sugars to spike quickly so if your low they are a great option and small amounts with all of your walking should be ok. Carbs on there own also will spike your sugars, eat them with protein to help keep your sugars even. Try to stick to a healthy diet with lots of veggies and a fair amount of protein.
keltiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #3
scchristo
Earning My Ears

Although I did not have it, my sister did. From what I can remember, pasta was a "problem food" for her until she discovered that "al dente" pasta did not cause her numbers to spike. She also only ate Sara Lee wheat bread. She ate peanut butter toast/sandwiches every night to keep her blood sugar stable overnight. I know that doesn't help for Disney, but it's what I have to offer .
11/2013 - POP - Coming soon!

scchristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Called the doctors office today and let them know that you need some guidelines before you go. They may not be able to get you into a dietitian that quickly, but at least should be able to give you some basic guidelines to go on.
Gestational diabetes is a pretty broad subject and exactly what/how your doctors treat it is going to be individual to your situation.

Keep in mind that sometimes the sugar-free items on the menu have as many carbs or even more than the regular items. Carbs are the issue, because they break down into sugar. The more complex carbs you are eating, the more slowly they will break down. Simple sugars, like those found in fruit, tend to make sugar available faster, as another poster mentioned.

You want to steer clear of sugared drinks, like soda pop, but also artificially sweetened diet pop. The sugar sweetened ones can raise your glucose level very quickly and both can dehydrte you.
And many of the sugar free or no sugar added dessert items use artificial sweeteners, which can cause stomach upset or diarrhea for some people (although other people may have no problem with them).

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr

Last edited by SueM in MN; 02-19-2013 at 09:08 AM.
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
DisneyMom5
DIS Veteran

I agree, call your doc.

That said, what I had to do was eat frequent smaller meals that were protein rich with a smaller carb.
For example, a cheese stick and nine triscuits for a snack.
Pick high fiber choices, plenty of protein, lots of veggies and greens, not so much potatoes or starch, and don't be lured by sugar free pop or desserts. They are NOT wise calorie choices and not good for you or baby.
All the walking will help burn calories too. Do not forget to snack, but always a carb AND a protein.

It's not the same as regular diabetes. Your body isn't functioning right, and it's not really about what you are eating.
Diet didn't help for me, and I was rigid about it. I finally needed insulin.
NOT everyone does, though. But I want to encourage you that no matter if you do or not, you will be ok.
I felt so empowered by being able to administer the insulin myself, after being so frustrated that correct eating didn't help my symptoms.
They finally told me it wasn't my fault, that GD isn't food related. WHEW.
I had felt like such a failure up till then.
All this to say, when you get back, and you have your appts., and you learn all you are to do, don't get overwhelmed.
It's not what you are doing, it's what your body is doing. And the moms I know are very strong and smart, and can do just about anything if it protects their kids!
DisneyMom5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #6
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

Just a question from someone that ended up with a high risk pregnancy: Did the doctor ok you to still go? If yes, maybe go over to the diabetic foundation web site. They have tons of information and lots of support. Out side that, tons of water, check your blood sugar often (you will be walking a lot), frequent small meals or snacks, try to keep carbs whole grains, watch your feet for swelling, take lots of rest breaks, carry quick sugar snacks for any lows and try to limit those Mickey Bars!
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #7
JennyKS
Mouseketeer

I would have been about 12 weeks when we went in December. I was literally diagnosed the day before we left. Got my meter that day and the first day I started checking my blood sugars was the Saturday we left.

Actually buffets are the easiest to control your sugar because of the options you have.

I'm at 23 weeks now and I have been on medication since we got back from Disneyworld.

Walking helps a ton. Drink lots and lots of water. Eat lots of protein. I had to stay away from sugar, pasta and rice.

Not that you are like me, but I had to stay away from carbs for breakfast. I had omlets.

My doctor knew I was going to Disney and was fine with it. I also have high blood pressure so I stopped by the first aid stations every couple days to keep that in check.
JennyKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:43 PM   #8
Selket
Yes I AM being whiney about not getting a postcard!
I will measure, nest, lift and squeeze

I had GD with one pregnancy. If you don't understand what carbs are - educate yourself about carbs and what foods are high in carbs (pasta, breads, desserts, anything with sugar like drinks and juices). Of course you need to eat carbs so you wouldn't have to avoid them completely - just try to go light on them.

Avoid bagels, pastries, most desserts. Potatoes and breads in moderation as well as pasta. Fruit is tricky - but fruits with more fiber like apples will generally raise the blood sugar less quickly than less fibery fruits.

Meats, cheese and vegetables (not potatoes though!) have much fewer carbs - but balance out your plate with some pasta/bread/potato

Breakfast is the meal that generally the one where carbs will spike your blood sugar so eggs/meat along with a bit of bread (english muffin) is a good choice. I would eat cereal because I LOVE cereal but I had to have a small bit.

You should also keep up with your dairy and still have milk and yogurt, etc. Look for sugar free yogurt if you can.

Walking after a meal really does help - as mentioned.

I agree to call your doctor and talk to them. My doctor was NO help and I had no idea what to do for 2 weeks until I could get into the nutritionist and boy did I do the wrong things - LOL! Now I'm a freaking expert because my youngest child was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 9 years ago (I did not have GD with him ironically so don't worry). Type 1 is different than type 2 or GD but GD is more like type 2.

Call your doctor and read up what you can on GD - it should help.
Universal: HRH, 2010
Selket is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: