Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
adisneytattoo91
Practically Perfect in Every Way

Can't decide on a cruise! Any Sept/Oct/Nov cruise experts!?

I'm having some major Disney drama I cannot decide which cruise I want to go on! Well, let me rephrase that, I know EXACTLY what cruise I want to go on, it's just a matter of when. My husband and I just got married on the Disney Dream in October of 2012 to the Bahamas. We swear we left our soul on that ship, we think about it every day, bring it up, reminisce, even our text tones are the announcement chimes from the ship!

Now my dilemma is this, we already have done an October cruise, and went and did MNSSHP in the parks. My question is, if we do the 7 night Western Carribean cruise on the Fantasy, is it worth going in Novemeber to the Christmas Party? What the problem is, is if I can be that patient Has anyone cruised in November? Is the weather still okay? And if it worth it to spend a night in the park for the Christmas party? HAALLP!

WDW 2007 BoardWalk
WDW 2011 Beach Club Villas
WDW 2012 All Star Music
DCL 2012 Disney Dream - Bahamas
Disney Fairytale Wedding 2012
WDW 2012 Coronado Springs
WDW 2012 Port Orleans Riverside
DCL 2013 Disney Dream
adisneytattoo91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
reimero
DIS Veteran

My big concern about September is that it's the height of hurricane season. Given the drama from a couple of months ago, I strongly suggest waiting till November. You have a better chance of not having mother nature ruin things.
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #3
adisneytattoo91

Quote:
Originally Posted by reimero View Post
My big concern about September is that it's the height of hurricane season. Given the drama from a couple of months ago, I strongly suggest waiting till November. You have a better chance of not having mother nature ruin things.
Oh my goodness, I totally forgot about that
Old 01-16-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
disneypoor
DH thinks I have a "thing" for Mickey!

We have done September and November. Our best weather was in September. It was a perfect cruise weather-wise. We love cruising in November and catching MVMCP at Magic Kingdom. The crowds have always been minimal when we've attended the party, and my kids even rode Splash Mountain three times in a row without getting off. The ship gets decorated some time close to Thanksgiving, and that is also something to consider. It is beautiful all decorated for Christmas.

I'm no help, huh? Lol! We are cruising again next September but have done many November cruises. You can't predict the weather, so I would say go with the one you think you want the most and hope Mother Nature is kind.

Susan

09/93 Honeymoon at WDW, 03/01 First time to WDW with kids,
06/02 WDW, 11/03 First trip to Disneyland, 05/05 BIG family trip
to WDW POR, 06/06 First cruise on the Wonder/WDW ASM,
11/06 Disneyland, 03/07 7 Night Eastern, 09/07 3 Nights on the
Wonder, 03/08 Cruise to the Hawaiian Islands, 11/08 DD on the Magic,
11/09 3 Nights on the Wonder and WDW, 07/10 Family Vacation to WDW,
02/11 3 Nights on the Dream, 06/11 Alaskan Cruise on the Wonder, 03/12 One Week in Maui,
07/26/12 Bay Lake Tower 1st DVC Stay

Upcoming Trips: 03/16/13 5 Night DCL Western, 07/13 Villas at Grand California
Trip Reports: 06/06 Wonder, 03/07 Eastern, 06/11 Alaskan Cruise
disneypoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #5
dizney-cruiser
DiZney CraZy ºoº
we dont want no stinkin snow in NJ!!

Cool

We have cruised multiple times in October. Many times our excursions on Castaway Cay have been cancelled due to winds (but we were still happy to be on vacation!)

Last year, we spent 2 weeks on the Fantasy. The first week, we did the Eastern Caribbean for Thanksgiving. Castaway Cay was freezing!! I was all swaddled up in towels and didn't even want to think about getting in the water. The next week, Castaway Cay was so warm I spent most of the day in the ocean.

Ya just never know . . .

dizney-cruiser
(Janice)

2004 (Wonder); 2006 (Magic); 2007 (Wonder); 2008 (Magic Double Dip);
2010 (Magic Double Dip);
2011 (Dream B2B),
2012 (Fantasy B2B) 2013 (Fantasy)
2015 (Fantasy?)
dizney-cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #6
scrapbookmomma74
We love DCL!!!

We are booked on the Fantasy Sept. 28 Western. I wasn't sure if MNNSHP might be going on when we return on Oct. 5. We are going for our anniversary, along with my in-laws, who will also be celebrating an anniversary.
Join us!
A lifetime of memories at the "World"! 1974, 1975, 1983, 1993, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, DCL Magic 2010, DCL Magic 2011, DCL Dream 2011, DCL Magic 2012, DCL Fantasy 2012, DCL Dream 2012, DVC Member Cruise Dream 2013, DL Resort Summer 2013, DCL Fantasy 2013, DCL Magic 2014
[/url][url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
scrapbookmomma74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #7
joelnkelly
Mouseketeer

August-October the weather is just to darn unpredicatable for cruising in my opinion. You might luck out and have the best weather ever, or you might have hurricanes bearing down on the tropics. I myself would book November out.
joelnkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #8
kcashner
DIS Veteran

We've done lots of fall cruises. Two had serious weather impacts. We went to Key West before there was such a thing as a Western. The captain decided to stay close to home and see which way the storm moved before heading for our scheduled ports. Not a big deal--we got to see someplace different.

The other had much bigger impact. Our 7 night cruise became 4 1/2 days and we rode a bus to Ft. Lauderdale to board. We could have canceled with full refund, but we were already at WDW for the week before. Was it great? No. But DCL was fair to us and we were treated amazingly when we finally got onto the ship. On the positive side, the ship was spotless. She had come in a day early to drop passengers at PC (the reports were that the port would be closing) and then went out to sea with just the crew. We were told that they were assigned to cleaning teams and the ship was made to sparkle.

So, one big glitch out of MANY fall trips--not bad at all. We love September cruises for the weather, the prices, the availability, the guest mix on the ships.....so more good than bad.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:34 PM   #9
jahber
DIS Veteran

As a Floridian, mid-October is my cut-off date for cruises. After that, it's just too likely to be too cold for me. We sailed over Halloween right after Sandy and it was so cold not a single family member would dip a toe in the water at CC. So take that into consideration if you're from the south. If temps aren't a concern and you really are worried about a hurricane, grab a great deal and sail in November!
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:38 PM   #10
wendyoconnor
DIS Veteran

We don't let the potential for bad weather stop us from cruising in the fall, the prices are much better then the summer. We too were on the same cruise as the PP and Disney was fantastic in how they handled everything. In 2005 we had a cruise change from an eastern to a western after we left port because of Hurricane Rita, we still had a great time. We are cruising again in October 2013 for my birthday and August 2014 for our wedding anniversary. I would rather risk a cruise during hurricane season then trying to fly during the winter.

Fort Wilderness 6/1992, Disney Magic 9/4/04, Disney Magic 9/18/05, Disney Fantasy 4/21/12, Disney Fantasy 10/19/13 upcoming Disney Wonder cruise 6/8/2015
wendyoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #11
bitlerzx4
DIS Veteran

okay this just me start to rethink our Fantasy Oct 26th cruise......

March 2001(just us) October 2008 (as a family of 4) December 2011 Dream/WDW October 2013 Fantasy Cruise

bitlerzx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #12
adisneytattoo91

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahber View Post
As a Floridian, mid-October is my cut-off date for cruises. After that, it's just too likely to be too cold for me. We sailed over Halloween right after Sandy and it was so cold not a single family member would dip a toe in the water at CC. So take that into consideration if you're from the south. If temps aren't a concern and you really are worried about a hurricane, grab a great deal and sail in November!
When we cruised October 14-18, the weather was the most perfect weather we could have asked for. I mean granted, anything over 60 degrees is warm if you're from Pittsburgh, LOL. But the cruise that set sail immediately after us, was the unfortunate cruise that went through Sandy so that's why I'm a little nervous. But seeming we want to do the western Caribbean one, I suppose it'll still be warm since we'll be further south

WDW 2007 BoardWalk
WDW 2012 All Star Music
DCL 2013 Disney Dream
Old 01-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #13
adisneytattoo91

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
We've done lots of fall cruises. Two had serious weather impacts. We went to Key West before there was such a thing as a Western. The captain decided to stay close to home and see which way the storm moved before heading for our scheduled ports. Not a big deal--we got to see someplace different.

The other had much bigger impact. Our 7 night cruise became 4 1/2 days and we rode a bus to Ft. Lauderdale to board. We could have canceled with full refund, but we were already at WDW for the week before. Was it great? No. But DCL was fair to us and we were treated amazingly when we finally got onto the ship. On the positive side, the ship was spotless. She had come in a day early to drop passengers at PC (the reports were that the port would be closing) and then went out to sea with just the crew. We were told that they were assigned to cleaning teams and the ship was made to sparkle.

So, one big glitch out of MANY fall trips--not bad at all. We love September cruises for the weather, the prices, the availability, the guest mix on the ships.....so more good than bad.

WOW! That's crazy! But yes, as of prices, I priced the exact same cruise in July, as my original in November, and the difference in price was $2,500+. Same thing with over holidays, we thought it'd be really fun to do a thanksgiving, or christmas cruise, and the price literally jumps almost $3000+ from the week prior.

WDW 2007 BoardWalk
WDW 2012 All Star Music
DCL 2013 Disney Dream
Old 01-16-2013, 01:37 PM   #14
manateesmom
Mouseketeer

We always cruise in September. Once, it was raining in Miami for sail-away. Once, we passed through an area where a hurricane had been, and the water was a bit choppy one night, and on the cruise line's private island we noticed that there was some beach erosion and the hurricane had stirred up cooler than normal water (fine, but not bath water temp). We've never had any bigger issues.

I'm scheduled to cruise again in September. It's just great temperatures, great prices, less crowded ships.

Lots of people on cruise boards talk about not cruising in hurricane season. That's 6 months long! Then you get into "sick season." Influenza, norovirus, colds, all sorts of respiratory and GI problems seem to kick into full swing by October and keep on going through March, and I'd rather have to deal with weather than with being sick. I've been on Cruise Critic a long time, and have seen some of the "never sail during hurricane season" folks struck down by norovirus My in-laws are wary of sailing during hurricane season, and had horrible rough seas when they sailed in January. Bottom line is that weather can usually be avoided, cruise lines typically do the best they can to keep you out of harm's way (yes, there are exceptions), and I am personally more concerned about germs than about weather.

So, there are always risks. Buy travel insurance and go when you like. I never regret when we sail, and plan to keep doing it.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #15
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Hey it's the Weather you just never know . We sailed 9 times (since 2001) with DCL; once in April (worst weather of the bunch); 7 cruises in the months of September & October, never a weather issue and our last cruise was on the Dream, this past, January 2nd through the 6th. Strangely enough, the weather for January was fabulous, it was in the 80s & sunny every day (go figure). I guess we've just been lucky . But for us we just book our cruises when we can go & what we can afford, the weather just can't be predicted..
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
christmas party, disney fantasy, fall, walt disney world

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: