Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
Robinette
DIS Veteran

Earliest flight out of Vancouver?!

I was invited to go on a Disney Cruise to Alaska this June and everything is booked and paid for. I'm a lucky girl - I know However, just noticed the flight leaving Vancouver is taking off at 10:30 am!! Is that even enough time to get to the airport from the port? What is the earliest they will allow us to disembark?
Robinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

My parents were on this cruise out of Vancouver in 2011. They were off the boat by 8am (going at a leisurely pace), but going through customs took a while (they said). They called me by 8:45 am.

You can walk off the ship as soon as it clears customs, so I'd imagine by 7:30 a.m. My parents said that the lobby was hectic and it was less organized than when the Wonder was in Orlando. Then it just depends on how long it takes you to get through the custom building itself.

For comparison sake, I once walked off the ship in Orlando (also on the Wonder) at 7:00 am and was at my car by 7:15 am.

With Vancouver, it's hard to say unless someone here has actually walked off the ship right when they were allowed to.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2013, 04:45 PM   #3
comet1
Earning My Ears

From what I have read, that is too early, you must clear Canadian customs when you get off the ship,it is 30-45 minutes to the airport, then you check in, you must clear US customs and security at the airport. 1pm should be the earliest time your flight is booked for.
comet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
CMOORE185
HH 240 Points, SSR 260 Points

Disney will tell you the earliest flight you should book is 12:00 pm. I am cruising in July an booked my return flight at 11:40 am.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
kt-scarlett
Migraines are stupid, throw rocks at them.

My flight is also at 11:40 am. Fingers crossed we make it, Disneyland awaits!

HOTEL ROYAL PLAZA '86 CARIBBEAN BEACH RESORT '92 DIXIE LANDINGS '97 WILDERNESS LODGE '97 OLD KEY WEST ‘98 SWOLPHIN '98,'00, ’01, ’03, ’04, ‘05 VILLAS AT WILDERNESS LODGE '01, ‘08, '11, '14 BEACH CLUB '02, '10 BOARDWALK INN ‘02 BEACH CLUB VILLAS '03 BOARDWALK VILLAS '99, ’00, ’02, ’03, ’04, ’05, ’06, ’07, '08, ‘10, '11, '12, '13, '14 POP '10, '12, POFQ '11 POR '11, '12 DCL WONDER TO ALASKA '13 VILLAS AT GRAND CALIFORNIAN '13 ANIMAL KINGDOM VILLAS '14
kt-scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:43 AM   #6
Robinette
DIS Veteran

Thanks for your input. I called Delta and it's an additional $688 to change the flight - per ticket!!! Decided we will talk to guest services as soon as we board the ship and request to disembark as early as they will allow. Someone mentioned to take our luggage with us in the morning, not leave it in the hallway the night before for the crew to take. I read the airport is 12 miles (30 minutes) away. I'm thinking we'll make it, albeit rather hectic.
Robinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #7
comet1
Earning My Ears

Keep an eye on your flight schedule. If it changes before you fly most times the airline will let you change to another flight free.

Good luck
comet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:41 PM   #8
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinette View Post
Thanks for your input. I called Delta and it's an additional $688 to change the flight - per ticket!!! Decided we will talk to guest services as soon as we board the ship and request to disembark as early as they will allow. Someone mentioned to take our luggage with us in the morning, not leave it in the hallway the night before for the crew to take. I read the airport is 12 miles (30 minutes) away. I'm thinking we'll make it, albeit rather hectic.
You will definitely want to keep your luggage with you because if you don't, you have to wait til they have offloaded the luggage to the terminal before they let people off that aren't hand-carrying their luggage. Having your luggage with you, you can dash off the ship as soon as they say "go."

If you have arranged transportation through DCL, they were very organized in 2011 in getting people to the motorcoaches that go to the airport. However, you have to wait for the motorcoach to be full and that includes getting the luggage loaded underneath - and then when you get there, getting it all off. We noticed that there were plenty of taxis available. If you haven't arranged transportation, you might want to consider making some privately to help you get to the airport faster.

Another thing is to be sure to go ahead and have your US Custom forms filled out before you get off the ship - you'll need those ready at the airport before you get in the Customs line - they will not let you fill them out while you're queued up. Our experience was that DCL did not provide these in the cabin the night before but you can get them at the Guest Services or ask your stateroom host for the form in addition to the Canadian one.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #9
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

The ship doesn't get into Vancouver until a bit later than at PC. Don't put your luggage out because they don't have enough room to put all of the luggage out and you have to wait for your character tag to be called to leave and retrieve it. We stayed at the Pan Pacific and every morning there was a long line of taxis waiting to pick up people getting off ships. It cost us the same for the four of us to take a cab to the airport than it had to take the train thing downtown when we arrived -- and SO much easier with all our luggage and two kids. When we go back, we will stick to the taxi. It took us 1 1/2 to 2 hours to get to our gate after arriving at the airport at 6:00 a.m. for clearing customs and checking in with the airline. That was before the ship passengers would have reached the airport so don't know how long it would take adding that number. We spent the day we got off the ship riding bikes through the park and exploring a bit more, then stayed at a hotel close to the airport.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August
Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:45 PM   #10
lady9
DIS Veteran

Definitely keep your luggage with you and walk it off the ship as soon as it clears. You may want to be waiting in the lobby so you are one of the first off and through customs. There are plenty of taxis usually but to be sure, I'd have a car waiting. Our driver was parked right by the curb. We had no problem making an 11:30 flight. We were at the gate by 10ish. You will be pushing it for 10:30, but if the stars align for you, you'll make it
lady9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:03 PM   #11
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady9 View Post
Definitely keep your luggage with you and walk it off the ship as soon as it clears. You may want to be waiting in the lobby so you are one of the first off and through customs. There are plenty of taxis usually but to be sure, I'd have a car waiting. Our driver was parked right by the curb. We had no problem making an 11:30 flight. We were at the gate by 10ish. You will be pushing it for 10:30, but if the stars align for you, you'll make it
If you were at the gate by 10ish, then she's not going to make the 10:30....I learned the hard way. Alot of airlines have a policy to NOT allow boarding 15 minutes before push back from the gate so that no one delays the plane. Let's say you get there at 10;15 am, planes at the gate, door is closed. You're still out of luck. And they're not going to page you to board b/c you probably haven't checked luggage.

Happened to me in Oakland, flying to LA, for an interview. I was 20 minutes "early." Never will do that again.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: