Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #1
westjones
Mother of Two Disney Princesses
Boy I learn something new all the time on these boards!

Gift amount for your children's BF or GF?

I have been wondering.....how much do you spend on a gift for your child's girlfriend/boyfriend for Christmas?

Last month, I bought a few things for my DD's boyfriend which all came to about $50. They had been dating a year (last year they had just started dating, and I spent about $10 for a gift for him that year, but this year I spent a bit more).

I guess I thought that seemed like a good amount, but then she goes to his dad's side of the family for Christmas and there the grandmother gave her $50 in cash, and the dad gave her a lotion/bath set along with $100 in cash! (If some of you may recall, the mother of the boy doesn't like my DD so she was not included in Christmas with that side of the family, this is the dad's side....the parents are divorced).

So what do you guys usually spend when it comes to your child's boyfriend/girlfriend?
westjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:07 AM   #2
maslex
DIS Veteran

Not sure how old these kids are but my son (will be 16 in March) has been seeing the same girl for a little over a year now.

Last Christmas they were only together about 1 month so I didn't get her anything. This past year, I bought her two body sprays from Bath & Body works. That's it.

If they were older, I'd probably spend a bit more. I think what you spent is fine.
maslex is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #3
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Um am I supposed to get them a gift? So far nothing. DS's(18) girlfriend came and stayed with us over Christmas. I was thinking about getting her something and ds said not to. So I didn't.
I think what you did was kind and generous!
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
westjones

Oh, I should have said, they are 19 and in college. And I did see the boy almost every day last semester leading up to Christmas (he was at our house a lot).
Old 01-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
lovesmurfs
I need to start thinking of pithy things to say
It costs him money every time I watch!

My son (turning 19 Sunday) has had several long-term girlfriends. Up until this year, I never bought anything for any of them. He's been dating his current GF since early May, and she's over at the house a LOT.

Bought her a little handmade pottery tray for her dresser and a scarf -- not more than $20 total, but I was happy with the thought.

ETA: My son's GF's family gave him a CAT hoodie.

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain

"Some people are like Slinkies. They serve no useful purpose, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs."

Last edited by lovesmurfs; 01-16-2013 at 03:13 PM.
lovesmurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:59 AM   #6
yoopermom
Suffers from too many teenage Stephen King influences

I do really think it's the thought that counts. DS18 has had his first really serious gf since summer, and for Xmas I bought her a fancy picture frame and had their homecoming picture put in it, along with a giftcard to their favorite restaurant. Maybe $40 total.

Terri
yoopermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:01 AM   #7
westjones

Thanks for sharing everyone. I was just a bit surprised at the generosity of the boy's family (and wasn't really sure of the 'protocol' for gifts to daughter's boyfriend).
Old 01-16-2013, 11:44 AM   #8
pat fan
I'm leaving now so I don't have to witness what comes next

Geesh....guess my DS's GF made out pretty well! Since this was the first Christmas either of my boys has had a significant other, I asked my sister who has been there done that what the protocol was. She said same # of gifts as everyone else, but lower $$ per gift.

I think I got her one less gift than my boys, but they were all much less expensive gifts than I got my boys. Still, I spent a pretty good amount on her. The most expensive thing was a sweater at $30, the cheapest was a can opener (they had us over at Thanksgiving and there's was broken!).

BTW, they have been together almost a year and living together since Oct. I do think they moved in together too quickly and told them so, but she's a sweet girl and they seem pretty happy together.

In retrospect, I probably spent too much, but what are you gonna do? My DS loves her and I want them to know she is welcome in the family.

"Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure I love my country with all her faults. I'm not ashamed of that, never have been, never will be."
-- John Wayne
pat fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #9
Patience
DIS Veteran

My oldest daughter has been seeing the same boy for about a year and a half now. I bought him a $25 gas card and a college t-shirt for Christmas. They are both 18.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #10
kim929
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat fan View Post
BTW, they have been together almost a year and living together since Oct. I do think they moved in together too quickly and told them so, but she's a sweet girl and they seem pretty happy together.

In retrospect, I probably spent too much, but what are you gonna do? My DS loves her and I want them to know she is welcome in the family.

To me this is a different situation. They live together, so almost a dil/sil I did as your sister did. They each received XX amount of gifts, I spent a little less $ on them, but not much.

My ds has had the same gf for over a yr. He is 18 she is 17. They are still in school, I bought her a few gifts but not as many as the bf/gf who are living together I spent half what I spent on my son.
kim929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:04 PM   #11
Princess Dolly
Unfortunately it encroached the danger zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by westjones View Post
I have been wondering.....how much do you spend on a gift for your child's girlfriend/boyfriend for Christmas?

Last month, I bought a few things for my DD's boyfriend which all came to about $50. They had been dating a year (last year they had just started dating, and I spent about $10 for a gift for him that year, but this year I spent a bit more).

I guess I thought that seemed like a good amount, but then she goes to his dad's side of the family for Christmas and there the grandmother gave her $50 in cash, and the dad gave her a lotion/bath set along with $100 in cash! (If some of you may recall, the mother of the boy doesn't like my DD so she was not included in Christmas with that side of the family, this is the dad's side....the parents are divorced).

So what do you guys usually spend when it comes to your child's boyfriend/girlfriend?
The Rule.

I don't think there is one hard and fast answer, each family has different means and some families place more emphasis on gifts.
Princess Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #12
Fire14
Spartan Living in land of Buckeyes.

When I was dating and what my Brothers Girlfriends got.
A pj set, Lotion/shower gel combo from B+BW, A nice pr of earrings( prob 20.00 ish), a sweatshirt from Jcpenny ( 15-2o ish). One year I got a couple gift of popcorn tin from BF grand parents ( not living together). I personally didn't expect anything and was happy with what I got.
Even now my dad usually gets us either a couple gift of 25-50.00 gc or seperate gifts, this last Xmas I got check for 30.00 ( car issues up wazoo) dh got 2 pr lounge pants ( neither of us cares but I swear one pr were recycled gift, others from walmart).
Old 01-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #13
moorhunhe
Mouseketeer

I've been together with my current boyfriend now for almost 3 years (in May).
And he's been with us for 2 Christmasses (should have been 3, but we were seperated for 3 months back in 2010 over Christmas).

Anyways, my mom likes to be fair to all the children, and got all 5 of us (me, brother, sister, sister-in-law, my boyfriend) a number of gifts that would add up so that every child had gotten something for the same amount.
(my parents decided to spend 100 € for each child, and if they couldn't find enough gifts, they gave us an envelope with the rest of it in cash).

Way too generous if you ask me, haha, I'm very gratefull, but I really don't need 100 € worth in presents.
I told them that last year, but if it's what they want ...

DLRP 15x
moorhunhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #14
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

DGD's BF is really more than a BF, but not quite a fiance. They've been together for more than a year, she's 21 and he's 23.

We gave them a joint gift of a new TV (theirs died), gave her $100 IKEA gift card (her request) and him a $100 gift card toward a pair of Doc Martens he had been saving for. His family was equally generous to DGD.

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:33 PM   #15
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

I'd say what you did was fine OP. Generous, but not too over the top...
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: