Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #1
pixxi
Mouseketeer

Question family food dining plan advise needed

We booked bounce back last year and received free quick service dining plan. We usually stay at a moderate resort but are staying at AOA due to family size.

It will cost 699.49 to upgrade to a regular dining plan for 9 days (4 adults, 2 children). The difference between what we would be getting for free and paying for the upgrade are

-loose 1 snack a day
-swap a quick service meal for a table service

It's would cost us about 78.00/day just to get a sit down meal. We would look at the character meals but it doesn't seem worth it. Plus we have to add the 18% gratuity (about $25/meal).

We have usually received the regular dining plan for free. I just don't really see the benefits for paying the upgrade. We have children (14,11,8,3) and it was kind of like our break to have the table service meal. Since we didn't take a midday break.

Would we get sick of counter service meals? We are going in Sept, so it will be hot.

Anyone have any experience to offer one way or the other.
pixxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
laceemouse
DIS Veteran

First of all, you will love AoA. We were just there in December, very cute and so nice and new!!

We have favorite sit down meals we want to repeat every now and then and we always have sit down places we are dying to try so we would definitely pay for the upgrade. However, sit down meals take time so if your kids just want to go, go, go skip it.

Friends who did the counter service only plan got tired of standing in line to order more than they got tired of the food. They offer a lot more variety in counter service now than they used to. The food at AoA is good too!

Also, at the MK you can do BOG for lunch, counter service and very yummy!!!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
Diegosmom
DIS Veteran

quick service only has 1 snack a day now so same on both plans...

We did quick service last year and then did 2 meals OP. We had no problem with the quick service options (even my hubby who is super picky)...and we all enjoyed the resort food...we often came back to use the pool and grabbed dinner in the food court.

Seems like with the age difference of your kids you might be splitting up during the day. This would make it easier for everyone to eat when they want.
Diegosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #4
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixxi View Post
We booked bounce back last year and received free quick service dining plan. We usually stay at a moderate resort but are staying at AOA due to family size.

It will cost 699.49 to upgrade to a regular dining plan for 9 days (4 adults, 2 children). The difference between what we would be getting for free and paying for the upgrade are

-loose 1 snack a day
-swap a quick service meal for a table service

It's would cost us about 78.00/day just to get a sit down meal. We would look at the character meals but it doesn't seem worth it. Plus we have to add the 18% gratuity (about $25/meal).

We have usually received the regular dining plan for free. I just don't really see the benefits for paying the upgrade. We have children (14,11,8,3) and it was kind of like our break to have the table service meal. Since we didn't take a midday break.

Would we get sick of counter service meals? We are going in Sept, so it will be hot.

Anyone have any experience to offer one way or the other.
There are enough different options on the QS plan that you should be OK. I would say keep the QS plan and just pay OP for a couple of nice dinners. The dinners should be less than the upgrade. I believe the snacks are the same on both plans now, so you do not "lose" a snack by upgrading if that is what you choose to do.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

The only one that may have a problem is your 8 yr old. Unfortunately, QS kids' meals are pretty much the same across the parks, so that one may get tired of QS. You could try to upgrade them to an adult which means you would need to pay for an adult ticket, but that isn't much over a 9-day period, and then they could order the regular entree, dessert, drink like everyone else.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

I would stick with free QS. I have not ever used the dining plan though. But my thoughts being the cs options are really wide range, in Epcot there wreak many different options( assuming you park hop) and the food at AOA is actually pretty good. We stayed there last summer and ended up eating there twice. You could pick a favorite and just do one sit down out of pocket.

Check out the menus on all ears for the quick service and you will see all the options. Yak and yeti cs at AK is yummy. We love fish and chips from the cart in Epcot.
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
rdhshady3
Earning My Ears

We are doing the dining plan for the first time this year and are really lookng to take advantage of the sit down meals in the evening as a chance to recharge and get a really nice meal!
rdhshady3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:00 AM   #8
Equest1610
Earning My Ears

Can you add Disney meal plan the day you check in? We were thinking about adding it and didnt know if it was too late.
Equest1610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:37 AM   #9
brymolmom
DIS Veteran

The way I've always worked the 'numbers' in my head is that if you pay OOP for more than 2 table service meals - Then you would be better off paying for the upgrade. Now this is with my own family of 2 adults and 2 children...I imagine those numbers would be different with yours.

Personally I would keep the free QS and just pay for 1 or two table meals OOP.

Especially with that large a family and that high a price for the upgrade.
brymolmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: