Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 08:36 AM   #1
Bnb0627
Mouseketeer

School privacy issue?

Are teachers allowed to discuss children's (not a specific child but children who transferred from a different school) grade performance with other staff or general public? At a school board budget meeting that ended up being charter school k-3 vs regular public K-12 a parent against the charter stood up and said charter has high test scores but I hear the students who come back to regular public in 4th grade this year are struggling. Now how would they know this unless teachers were discussing it with friends and family?
Bnb0627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:40 AM   #2
firecracker725
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnb0627 View Post
Are teachers allowed to discuss children's (not a specific child but children who transferred from a different school) grade performance with other staff or general public? At a school board budget meeting that ended up being charter school k-3 vs regular public K-12 a parent against the charter stood up and said charter has high test scores but I hear the students who come back to regular public in 4th grade this year are struggling. Now how would they know this unless teachers were discussing it with friends and family?
As long as it's a generalized statement (i.e. "The kids coming to us from school A sure are having trouble keeping up.) I don't see any issue with it. Where you have major legal issues is when you start naming children.

-------------
firecracker725 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2013, 08:46 AM   #3
Lorelei Lee
DIS Veteran

Of course they talk about their students. As long as it's generalities there are no privacy issues.
Lorelei Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:51 AM   #4
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

I hear schools' test scores being discussed on the local news and in the papers all the time. It's pretty much a matter of public record.
Lynne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Overviews of test scores are public record here, so no, I don't believe it is a privacy issue.

Unless individual names are mentioned, there is no problem.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:55 AM   #6
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

It doesn't have to be a teacher talking- I could tell you all through my daughters school years which kids were "struggling" simply by my daughter coming home saying "I got a A on my test and missed one word, joey missed 20 words, tommoy missed 3 words and mary got them all right etc" "Joey, Sue, Myron and Calen get taken out of the room for testing because they need extra help" kids are a wealth of information.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:55 AM   #7
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

Plus parents in general talk...the parent may have "heard" that those kids are struggling when they come back. You hear tons of talks amongst parents on any sideline and on the bleachers.
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:58 AM   #8
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilgail2 View Post
It doesn't have to be a teacher talking- I could tell you all through my daughters school years which kids were "struggling" simply by my daughter coming home saying "I got a A on my test and missed one word, joey missed 20 words, tommoy missed 3 words and mary got them all right etc" "Joey, Sue, Myron and Calen get taken out of the room for testing because they need extra help" kids are a wealth of information.
Absolutely. My kid is in first grade and he can tell you the DRA level of each student in the class, who had a time out, you name it.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:10 AM   #9
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Because kids or other parents are talking? Why does this knowledge HAVE to come from teachers?
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:12 AM   #10
Bnb0627
Mouseketeer

I know test scores are public I have no issue with that. My thoughts were if there are only 8 students coming from that school all 300 people now know they are struggling (if that's true). It's a small community everyone knows everyone
Old 01-16-2013, 09:15 AM   #11
Bnb0627
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon
Because kids or other parents are talking? Why does this knowledge HAVE to come from teachers?
I have nothing against teachers. The simple fact is I overheard a group of them talking how they were going to bring down the charter school and they have to get the community on board and who can we get to point out their flaws. So basically that person was given a script to repeat at a community meeting.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:20 AM   #12
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

As long as things are discussed in generalities and not specifics, I don't see a problem with it. Similar to a hospital, it's OK to discuss "our infection rate has gone up by 3% in the past month". It's not OK to discuss "Bill Smith got an infection this past month".

I'm also curious as to why you jumped right to the teachers being the ones to spread the news? That kind of stuff is usually fodder for discussion amongst parents in my experience.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:25 AM   #13
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

We switched to a public school this year from a Catholic school. The first question I get asked from my friends from the old school is "How is she doing in comparison to the other students with a public school education? Is she struggling?" Parents want to compare. In our case, the parents want to know if they are paying for a decent education or a crappy one. I get their point and am happy to share our experience.

Parents talk way more than teachers!!!
Old 01-16-2013, 09:31 AM   #14
Bnb0627
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE="

I'm also curious as to why you jumped right to the teachers being the ones to spread the news? That kind of stuff is usually fodder for discussion amongst parents in my experience.[/QUOTE]

All I did was ask the question how else would they know? And many people have answered that questioned for me. Thank you. The teachers know about the kids grades before even the parents so naturally I would question that, especially when I hear a conversation by a group of teachers that seems childish.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #15
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Or the parents of the struggling children could have talked to other parents. I know that among the kids in my DD dance class we always talked about how our kids were doing in school. So I knew that kids at XYZ school were doing one type of work and kids at my child's school (in the same district and the same grade) were doing something different.

It sounds like what you hear was general information, why would there be a problem with that? Now if you said "The 3rd grade math teacher said that Tommy Jones is failing math", that's different. And here, the standardized test grades are published in the newspaper by class/grade/school, so I would know that minority race children in third grade at ABC school did better on the math portion of the CMTs than white children in third grade at LMNOP school. Again, it's kind of specific, but not really identifiable.

I don't see the problem. Why are you asking?
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: