DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 07:16 AM   #1
torian
A whole day can be ruined with a bad cup of coffee

Stupid question...

If I were to purchase a resale contract of, say, 160 points, would I be able to split the contract up into two 80 point ones like you can when you purchase direct via disney?
torian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:23 AM   #2
cfw213
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by torian
If I were to purchase a resale contract of, say, 160 points, would I be able to split the contract up into two 80 point ones like you can when you purchase direct via disney?
No - if you want two 80 point contracts then you have to purchase them that way. With resale, this means paying closing costs twice.

September 2012 TR - COMPLETE- Are you Push?? Our sister trip around the World - A September 2012 TR
October 2013 TR - IN PROGRESS- Where are we going? What are we doing? An engagement/anniversary extravaganza! - An Oct 2013 TR

cfw213 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2013, 07:27 AM   #3
torian
A whole day can be ruined with a bad cup of coffee

thanks - thought so, which is why I prefaced with "a stupid question"
torian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:37 AM   #4
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by torian View Post
If I were buying more than one resale contract, I would negotiate discounted closing costs.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:34 AM   #5
DannysMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz

If I were buying more than one resale contract, I would negotiate discounted closing costs.

Bill
But you would likely on,y be able to negotiate one closing cost, if you were buying 2 contracts at the same time from the same resale broker. Same seller would be easier yet to negotiate, I would imagine. And how often would you find (and get accepted offers) on 2 resale contracts at the same time?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!
Old 01-16-2013, 08:54 AM   #6
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannysMom View Post
But you would likely on,y be able to negotiate one closing cost, if you were buying 2 contracts at the same time from the same resale broker. Same seller would be easier yet to negotiate, I would imagine. And how often would you find (and get accepted offers) on 2 resale contracts at the same time?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!
I would negotiate with the Broker and the closing company, not the seller. Over the years I have received reduced closing costs and commissions from Brokers.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #7
mousefan1972
DIS Veteran

Quote:
There is no such thing as a stupid question! I did not know you can choose the size of your contract(s) when purchasing direct. Our initial purchase was 450 points (we've since added on several times for a total of 700) and it was *gasp* our guide who suggested we break the 450 points into smaller contracts. Not a stupid question at all.
mousefan1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #8
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The chances of finding 2 contracts in this size range that match up with UY, price and reduced closing is very slim. Even if you could, you'll pay more per point all else being equal. Generally you'd be looking at around $8 a point or more additional all else being equal or $1200 or more total. I do not see this as a reasonable cost for the potential additional benefits provided. If you could find a private seller and control all closing costs, I'd take a different stance but that's unlikely.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:51 PM   #9
johnsbelt
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
The chances of finding 2 contracts in this size range that match up with UY, price and reduced closing is very slim. Even if you could, you'll pay more per point all else being equal. Generally you'd be looking at around $8 a point or more additional all else being equal or $1200 or more total. I do not see this as a reasonable cost for the potential additional benefits provided. If you could find a private seller and control all closing costs, I'd take a different stance but that's unlikely.
Actually while is isn't common, it isn't that uncommon either. In the last couple of years (since we purchased), I've seen multiple contracts listed separately and together on a couple of the websites. In all cases, it said that there was one closing fee. In most cases, the contracts were between 75 and 125 points each. You need to look very closely at the listings to see that they are being offered as 2 or more contracts. It just doesn't jump out and bite you.

So there is a way to get 2 smaller contracts in this way. Just don't be in too much of a hurry.

John
johnsbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #10
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsbelt View Post
Actually while is isn't common, it isn't that uncommon either. In the last couple of years (since we purchased), I've seen multiple contracts listed separately and together on a couple of the websites. In all cases, it said that there was one closing fee. In most cases, the contracts were between 75 and 125 points each. You need to look very closely at the listings to see that they are being offered as 2 or more contracts. It just doesn't jump out and bite you.

So there is a way to get 2 smaller contracts in this way. Just don't be in too much of a hurry.

John
I would think that most were from the same seller.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: