Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #31
Albort
ODV Crew
The challenge is - who can find me?

Chinese is very difficult to learn... If shes up for the challenge, Chinese!
Old 01-16-2013, 03:05 PM   #32
mnrose
DIS Veteran

My daughter studies Mandarin. It is a very useful language as, I believe, it is the most widely spoken language in the world. Whether we are ready or not, China (and Asia) are on the rise and will continue to be so in the decades to come. Plus, even for American corporations, there are 1.5 billion people in China, many of them wealthy or middle class (nearly 3 times as many wealthy and middle class people in China as compared to the entirety of the United States). That is an attractive market for any US based company. For that reason, I believe Chinese language skills will prove to make one more employable in the next generation.

That being said, it is also a VERY difficult language to learn. It is nothing at all like English. Spanish would be easier to learn.
mnrose is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2013, 03:09 PM   #33
soccerdad72
DIS Veteran

Just let her pick one of them. Odds are pretty good that it's not going to matter in the long run. If she's not thinking of language or International Business as a major in college, it's just another liberal arts credit that will be forgotten about a few months after she's done taking them.
soccerdad72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:24 PM   #34
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

I disagree that it doesn't matter. It might well be that having one of these languages gives her the edge. I work in higher ed and I see that with the graduating seniors on the job hunt.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #35
soccerdad72
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
I disagree that it doesn't matter. It might well be that having one of these languages gives her the edge. I work in higher ed and I see that with the graduating seniors on the job hunt.
Again, it depends on the job as well as the level of competency with the language chosen. Unless someone is going into a profession where foreign language is necessary and they've taken enough courses to become reasonably fluent in that language, it's just another line on a resume.
soccerdad72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #36
PollyannaMom
I was a click-clack champ!!

I'd advise my own child to go with Spanish, but it depends a lot on the things she wants to do. International business? - Chinese would be an edge. Medicine or teaching - Spanish is useful in a lot of places.

me, DH, DS(13), and lots of pets
PollyannaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:35 PM   #37
RitaZ.
Move on don't hesitate
Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerdad72 View Post
Again, it depends on the job as well as the level of competency with the language chosen. Unless someone is going into a profession where foreign language is necessary and they've taken enough courses to become reasonably fluent in that language, it's just another line on a resume.
So true, especially the parts that I bolded. The level of competency is what gives you an edge.
RitaZ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:35 PM   #38
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by klj27 View Post
I am steering my 8th grader towards latin. I really think that the amount of the language they learn is often lost. I have seen studies that show latin is good for raising standardized test scores and will help anyone wanting to go into a medical or law career.
I highly recommend Latin. My DD is a junior, and currently taking Latin 3 Honors. We made her take it not so much for if she wants a medical or law career, but because her English Vocabulary, grammar and writing were a little lacking. Taking Latin has helped her tremendously in her English classes! Her vocabulary has expanded unbelievably, her grammar and writing have improved exponentially and her English grades have skyrocketed. The portions of the class that related to history and culture have also helped her a lot in her World history class and the unit on Roman & Greek gods in English class. I'm sure that the Latin class is also part of why she did so well on the PSAT (at least according to her).
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:45 PM   #39
ChrisFL
Disney/Universal Fan and MALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyannaMom View Post
I'd advise my own child to go with Spanish, but it depends a lot on the things she wants to do. International business? - Chinese would be an edge. Medicine or teaching - Spanish is useful in a lot of places.
I don't know if Chinese would be better. Also, are we talking about Mandarin or Cantonese? I'm guessing Mandarin, but Cantonese is the language spoken in Hong Kong and parts of southern China.

Mandarin is spoken in a lot of mainland China and some parts of Malaysia and Singapore.

English is the official language of international business, and most countries in Asia are learning that now.

I didn't have the choice in High School, I had taken Spanish and then had a choice between Russian and Japanese. I took Russian and regret it, because I've never been able to use it in real life, but I could have used Japanese.

Realize that spanish uses 99% of the same letters as english and that makes a MASSIVE difference in learning a language. Chinese letters are nothing at all as they often are more like words than letters.

Think about this- The entire western hemisphere only has a couple of main languages, English, Spanish, and to a lesser extent Portuguese and French.

Disney Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS
ChrisFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #40
frndshpcptn
Disney's Ultimate Fan, and our very own Travel Channel television star!!!
Really knows how to have a good time at the WORLD!

Mandarin.

If she wants to go into business of any sorts this will be a HUGE advantage to her (as long as she masters the language).
frndshpcptn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:06 PM   #41
jme829
Proud mother of 3.....4 if you include my husband!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
I vetoed Latin, too. If you're well read, chances are excellent you'll have a good vocabulary for those SATs. I also vetoed German. It's a mystery to me why our district still offers it.
Our schools offer German too. In 7th grade they take a trimester in each Spanish, German and Mandarin Chinese. Then in 8th grade they can choose which of three (or none) to study full year.

I was pushing dd13 toward Spanish, she hated it, and Chinese even more. She chose German for 8th grade this year. She loves it. It's her favorite and best subject. She will take German 2 as a freshman next year and plans to go all the way though AP German eventually.

DH and DD19 took 3 years of Spanish and I took 2 years, but dd13 just fell in love with German. She is going to a weekend immersion camp in the spring for school and is counting the days!

1997 Wilderness , 1999 Port Orleans, 2000 (offsite), 2002 (offsite), 2006 (offsite), 2013 (offsite)
jme829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:10 PM   #42
mdsoccermom
DIS Veteran

What is this "we" stuff? Let her decide. If she doesn't care one way or the other, force her to make a decision on HER class.

It's important that she learn a language, but I personally don't think it matters which one. It would only matter if she is planning a career which is language heavy and she may not be thinking about that right now.

Step aside and let her do it.
mdsoccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:24 PM   #43
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

I'm sure it's Mandarin and not Cantonese or any of the other dozens of Chinese dialects. Mandarin is taught to all school children in the PRC and has been for decades.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:42 PM   #44
maps
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone for your points of view. This certainly is not a life altering decision for us or my daughter. It was more of "Hey Mom and Dad, what do you think--Mandarin Chinese or Spanish?".

Valid question and since I vacilated back and forth with many of the same reasons presented here, I figured I would just get some other opinions.

Thanks again!
maps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #45
JVL1018
Forever Mickey's daughter
I hate stickers on fruit, it skeeves me.
If someone doesn't like it, tough noogies
"Nakey Boy to the rescue!!!"

Has she taken any language yet?

My town offers Mandarin starting in 8th grade, however Spanish is a required class from 3rd through 7th, so I feel like since the kids have invested 5 years in Spanish, they should keep going, in the hopes that they will eventually become fluent.

JVL1018 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: