Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #16
Riles_and_Gabe
DIS Veteran

I had my son take Spanish. Not only do I think it will be useful later on in life here in the US but we also like to take trips to different Countries where their main language is Spanish. If he had felt strongly about another language than I most likely would have let him take that instead.

My Blog: Have Budget Will Travel

Riles_and_Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #17
XYSRUS
DIS Veteran

My oldest is in Honors Chinese III. He says it is difficult but it is also his favorite class-total immersion since October of his Freshman year.
IDK. I would let my child decide want language they want to take.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #18
runsandjumps
DIS Veteran

While I think Spanish is more practical for everyday encounters ( depending on your area), Chinese will serve her better in a career.
ETA that I had placed my son in a mandarin immersion program starting at kindergarten. I truly wish we still lived there just for since reason.

Last edited by runsandjumps; 01-16-2013 at 11:22 AM.
runsandjumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #19
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

I don't know, I am very happy I took 7 years of Spanish because it's spoken so much in the US, it's nice to be able to know what's going on. I feel like not a week goes by that I'm not using my knowledge of Spanish to translate something. It was essential when we moved down to the border, but even this morning I was proud that I knew what they were singing about while I was doing my Zumba. LOL.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #20
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by runsandjumps View Post
While I think Spanish is more practical for everyday encounters ( depending on your area), Chinese will serve her better in a career.
Well, depending on what kind of a career she chooses, Chinese MIGHT serve her better. I think if she plans to live in the US, either on the west coast or in the North East, and if she wants to work in Health care, Spanish is a much more practical useful language to be able to speak at work (for example, a doctor or a nurse can explain to a Spanish speaking family or patient about his/her treatment if he speaks Spanish). Same goes for if she wants to teach in certain areas of the country.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:29 AM   #21
mrssmith06
DIS Veteran

I would have her start with Spanish! It is easier to learn and a lot of employers these days need people fluent in Spanish.
Then perhaps she could take on Chinese next, especially if it's just to boost her college resume. Spanish is the more practical and useful choice to begin with though.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #22
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

Either of those two would be great choices. I'd pick Mandarin. I wish our schools offered it.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #23
DarthMama
Mouseketeer

I would pick Spanish, because it's used much more often in the U.S. and learning one Latin-based language makes learning others much easier. I live in an area where there are lot of Spanish speakers, and although I've never studied Spanish, I speak Italian so many times I can figure out roughly what is being said and I can figure out a lot of ads that are printed in Spanish, just going by what is similar to Italian and the few words I've picked up here & there.
DarthMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #24
gwynne
DIS Veteran

She should decide. If she truly doesn't care then this is a good time for her to work on her decision making skills. She should be able to access information about both classes through school. It's her education.

TY Kook
Trip planning is half the fun! Ad astra per aspera ~Ginny~
gwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #25
Maggie Lizer
DIS Veteran

I would let her pick, but if she asked my advice, I'd lean towards Spanish.

Honestly, the arguments for learning Chinese today are reminiscient of the arguments for learning Russian back when I was in high school (early 90s). We were wee ones during the era of perestroika, and the conventional wisdom was that Russian was a language of emerging importance. My school offered 2 years' worth of Russian, and 5 of Spanish. I had already started and liked Spanish, so I continued in it. Plus, having grown up in south Florida, I saw the utility of being able to speak and understand Spanish.

First trip with DS2 4/29 - 5/8/14.

Maggie Lizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #26
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

I'd go with Chinese.
MrsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #27
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

In the US, learning and knowing Spanish is a lot more practical than Chinese.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #28
klj27
DIS Veteran

I am steering my 8th grader towards latin. I really think that the amount of the language they learn is often lost. I have seen studies that show latin is good for raising standardized test scores and will help anyone wanting to go into a medical or law career.

'95 - Day Trip from Tampa : '97 - Villas at the Disney Institute : '98 - Boardwalk Villa : '00 - Downtown Disney : '02 - Downtown Disney : '03 - Downtown Disney : '05 - Port Orleans Riverside & Coronado Springs : '06 - Port Orleans Riverside, Wilderness Lodge & Vero Beach: '07 - Port Orleans Riverside : '08 - Port Orleans Riverside '10 Comort Inn LBV "11 Band Trip at the Rosen Plaza: '13 - Windsor Hills
klj27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:44 PM   #29
ZephyrHawk
I can nicker too, but I'm not nearly as embarrassed about that
Please don't ski with your kid on a leash
I firmly believe in ghostly figments of my imagination

I say let her choose.

And for those considering Latin, please don't. Memorizing scientific names and legalese terms doesn't require a grasp of the language (I'm an attorney with a science background...I took Spanish). My DH took Latin, mostly because he wanted to be different. The only thing he's ever done with it was translate a sign in Pompeii for me...poorly.

Polynesian Village (1983), Polynesian Village (1986), Grand Floridian (1989), All Star Sports (1997), Disneyland (1998), All Star Movies (2000), Port Orleans - French Quarter (2001), All Star Music (2002), Disneyland (2004), Wilderness Lodge (2007), Pop Century (2010), Saratoga Springs (2013), and Disney Land and Sea Extravaganza - Fantasy/Villas at Wilderness Lodge (coming Dec 2015)
ZephyrHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #30
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

I vetoed Latin, too. If you're well read, chances are excellent you'll have a good vocabulary for those SATs. I also vetoed German. It's a mystery to me why our district still offers it.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: