Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 04:37 AM   #1
marvel
DIS Veteran

OZFOREX Prepaid Travel Card

Was looking at the options for travel cards, I already have the Commbank one but see that the Ozforex one has no load fees, and excellent conversion rates. Wondering if anyone has used these yet. I just received mine, you need to appy online and get the card before you load it up.

It has no cross conversion fees when moving from say US to Euro, and no montly inactivity fees. And the card comes with your name on it.
marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:46 AM   #2
Sugarglider
DIS Veteran

wow - OZFOREX offer this now! Last time i looked at them they only did EFT transactions on your behalf or sold you cash.
this is a good improvement cause their exchange rate can be slightly better than others!
thanks for sharing.
Sugarglider is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2013, 05:13 AM   #3
marvel
DIS Veteran

After reading that some predict the dollar to go back to parity, i was thinking getting some for future trips. all the other cards charge $15 for the card and 1% each load.
marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:37 AM   #4
WAMUMOF4
DIS Veteran

Aus post also have some that are free with no fees to load if charged at the post office.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:59 AM   #5
gogo65
Cheering for Disney

I just bought the aust post one today.
No fees to buy or load as wamumof4 mentioned.
I have never used a travel card preferring to use my credit card and ATM wherever I am, as I believe the fees on travelcards are not worth it. However we did have some trouble in Africa last year getting cash in certain areas and didn't want to risk being penniless in Guatemala if the ATM's don't work.

The aus post is a visa card so can be used wherever visa is accepted, so hopefully won't have to many problems. We only put $500 on it for emergencies and otherwise will just use our standard ATM cards wherever we go.

Found out about the ozforex one today, has a $15 fee and the exchange rate is 99.1.
Aus post is no start fee and exchange rate is 99.2.
ATM fee is $2 for aus post and $2.95 for ozforex.
Looks like the aust post Load and go is the best option.
There is no conversion fees if you withdraw in USD, euro, GBP or NZD.
Will let you know of we have any issues when we use it next week
DL Carousal Inn and Suites 12/09
Paris Disney 07/11
WDW Allstar Music 4/12

gogo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:25 AM   #6
Sugarglider
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogo65 View Post
I have never used a travel card preferring to use my credit card and ATM wherever I am, as I believe the fees on travelcards are not worth it.

Found out about the ozforex one today, has a $15 fee and the exchange rate is 99.1.
Aus post is no start fee and exchange rate is 99.2.
ATM fee is $2 for aus post and $2.95 for ozforex.
Looks like the aust post Load and go is the best option.
There is no conversion fees if you withdraw in USD, euro, GBP or NZD.
Will let you know of we have any issues when we use it next week
So your normal credit card and ATM card are not charging you a foreign ATM fee and an exchange rate rate fee on every transaction?

I had a sweet deal with the NAB where they had no fees but you paid the prevailing exchange rate at the time of sale. But they have withdrawn that option and now only offer their own Travellers card (with NAB branding). they are charging 1% for loading and can't find a purchase price - looks free. Up to 10 currencies can be loaded
Old 02-21-2013, 06:11 AM   #7
gogo65
Cheering for Disney

I have the bankwest plat card(mastercard) which is fee free for overseas transactions.
Yes my normal ATM charges fees, but similar to a travel card, I normally just don't see the value in a travel card as the fees are similar to my normal ATM plus there are the setup fees and reload fees.
DL Carousal Inn and Suites 12/09
Paris Disney 07/11
WDW Allstar Music 4/12

gogo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:57 AM   #8
Aussie Wendy
DIS Veteran

We have used the Aussie post travel card and plan to use it again for the upcoming trip. The fact you can load different currencies on the one card and load Aus $ and convert to the foreign currency when the rates are great immediately sold us initially as well as low ATM withdrawal fees etc. DD just got back from using it all the time to withdraw cash throughout Asia with no worries and when it ran low she texted us and we just loaded some more $ on her behalf from Aus as she was having trouble with internet access in some places to do it herself.

I have also read about some issues with Ozforex earlier last year where there were complaints I think that the advertised sample exchange rates and rates actually used when converting cash had big differences and rate used was much poorer than others in the market at that time (so people felt sucked in to buy) but not sure if it was a genuine issue as we weren't getting one so I had no need to follow up on the complaining-it might be a furfy or different now.
TR Exploration Europe

Me DH DD:

Aussie Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:36 AM   #9
Sugarglider
DIS Veteran

Today I received an email from Qantas saying they are going to offer a multi-currency Mastercard / Travelcard which will be combined with one's frequent flyer account.
Looks like everyone is in this game now!
Old 02-24-2013, 06:02 AM   #10
Snickals
Australian Princess...in Training

I got the email from Qantas too, tempting but I've always used Travelex with no problems.
29 October - 11 December 2013 - Pop Century Resort first 3 weeks Pennsylvania for 3 weeks; experienced snow for first time!

Snickals is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: