Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 01:14 AM   #1
mmcxiiad
Mouseketeer

2 rooms but stay in one.... one is concierge?

tried to search for this but couldn't find an answer.

We have a sizable discount we got from a previous cruise (long story but lets just say we were quarantined for most of the trip). Anyway, we are looking to use it now and trying to get the most out of it.

We have 6 people and this means 2 rooms. I have read a bit about people booking 2 rooms but switching who sleeps where. My questions is what would happen if one room was the 1 bedroom suite on the dream/fantasy and the other was the cheapest room available.

My thought is to book it like this:

1 bedroom Suite:
1 Adult & 1 Child

Interior room
1 Adult & 3 Children

My thought is no one would sleep in the interior room, and we would all stay in the suite. But then I started thinking about the specifics.

Would there be an issue since we are not all listed as concierge guests?
mmcxiiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:26 AM   #2
mrkyyyle
Mouseketeer

I don't know that there would be an issue with people sleeping in the room, but it would be tight to fit 6 people even in the 1bd suite.

Queen bed in the bedroom, full size pull out couch and a twin pull down bed I believe it was.

Only the 2 people registered for the concierge room would be able to use the lounge / sundeck though. Your KTTW is gold if you are a concierge guest, and the concierges themselves have usually memorized names and faces by the first morning so they know who shouldn't be there and will ask them for their key if they question it.
mrkyyyle is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2013, 01:29 AM   #3
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:29 AM   #4
mmcxiiad
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the reply, our kids would be 9, 7, 4 and 2. We aren't big people so I didn't think room size would be an issue.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:33 AM   #5
mrkyyyle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear3412 View Post
Hi Bear!
mrkyyyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:36 AM   #6
Golden Rose
Princess by Choice

Yes, you would have an issue if you want to use some of the perks of concierge. Those booked in the second room would get none of the benefits of concierge, except that no one would stop them from sleeping in the concierge room. How much do you care about the lounge and the sundeck?

I guess the one adult booked in concierge could go ahead and reserve a cabana or palo/remy early, so you could use the early booking window. Concierge generally gets dining requests filled, so you could certainly make sure they know which seating you want and who you want to be seated with (just yourselves, or with another family), and you could have the rooms linked so that you'd all be seated together. So you could take advantage of some of the perks, I guess.

(me) (DH) (DS 9) (DD 3) (4 cats)
Golden Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:37 AM   #7
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkyyyle View Post
Hi Bear!
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:50 AM   #8
mmcxiiad
Mouseketeer

I appreciate the responses. Obviously, I don't want to do something that is going to make the trip more complex.

We are also thinking about bringing someone to help with the kids. If we did that it would change everything as I would put everyone in the concierge room except her and the two year old. Obviously she wouldn't get all the perks, but that would be far less complex.

I am just not sure if we are going to bring her and trying to see if this could work out.... which unless I hear otherwise, I am going to say that it would add a whole layer of complexity to what should be a care-free trip.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:51 AM   #9
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

I am actually interested in hearing the answer to this question as I have thought of doing this as well. We have 6 people as well and on the Dream series it is hard to know what to do. I thought of booking the exact same arrangement you are talking about but just basically using the one room.

(Me and DH), (DD12), (DS11), (DS7),(DD7) &
wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:58 AM   #10
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Only those people booked in concierge get the concierge perks. Reality--since reservations are linked and the concierge staff wants to say "yes," you will be able to book reservations for both rooms (cabana, adult dining, excursions). You might have to technically wait for the window to open for the second room in order to have them added, but there will miraculously be an opening for them.

If you have food from MDRs served in your suite, no one cares who is there to eat it. No one cares who sleeps where. But only those booked in concierge can go to the "public" concierge areas of the lounge and sundeck.

It sounds like if you bring a nanny along, the whole thing is easy--as you said, you'd put nanny and 2 year old in one room. This is not the cheapest booking way (it would be better to put an older kid in that room as 2 year old will be charged a lower cruise fare), but it would be simpler. Dining reservations would be linked, so no issues there.

Do be aware that at boarding, those in a regular cabin will not be permitted to wait in the concierge area or to board at the number 1 slot.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #11
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Bring the nanny...problem solved
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #12
Weedy
DIS Veteran

What perks of concierge's were you planning on using? Will the one's you want be available to the whole family? The sun deck? No. A cabana? Probably. You may be better off just booking to nice connecting family staterooms with verandas. Have a great cruise, I sure it will be wonderful no matter what cabins you book.
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:21 AM   #13
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSnell1981 View Post
Bring the nanny...problem solved
Bring me! I'd be happy to share a room with a 2 year old and agree never to come to your suite, ask you freebies from the C lounge, will walk onto the ship with the common folk...whatever you need!

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #14
mmcxiiad
Mouseketeer

Nancy, thanks for your generous offer. Unfortunately, if I made the offer public that we are thinking about taking someone along, the list of people in front of you might be a bit extensive.

Should we do it, and some complication come up that they are all unavailable, you will absolutely be the next one on my list!
Old 01-16-2013, 12:53 PM   #15
scrapbookmomma74
We love DCL!!!

Is your discount for only 1 room or for your entire party? What about booking 2 connecting verandah rooms? You will have lots of room without the added drama of trying to "work" the concierge system.
As someone who has cruised 7 times on DCL, both concierge and non-concierge, I don't see all the hoopla about concierge. I'd rather have more space for my family at a more affordable rate. I don't feel that the fee for concierge is worth it.
We have done our family of 4 in 2 connecting inside rooms with virtual portholes and also in 2 connecting verandah rooms. I LOVE to be able to put the kids in bed and shut that door for a little privacy. Our first cruise was in a deluxe oceanview with verandah for the 4 of us, and I wouldn't give up the 2nd bathroom now for anything! lol
(a 12 year old girl uses the bathroom space a LOT!)
Good luck deciding and happy cruising!
A lifetime of memories at the "World"! 1974, 1975, 1983, 1993, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, DCL Magic 2010, DCL Magic 2011, DCL Dream 2011, DCL Magic 2012, DCL Fantasy 2012, DCL Dream 2012, DVC Member Cruise Dream 2013, DL Resort Summer 2013, DCL Fantasy 2013, DCL Magic 2014
[/url][url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
scrapbookmomma74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: