Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 09:18 AM   #61
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Princess'_Daddy View Post
Educating my children is as much a part of my responsibility as a parent as clothing them, feeding them and protecting them. In fact, I view educating them as doing all three, and a whole lot more, for their entire lives.

I just don't understand the perspective that children should pay for their own educations.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #62
TXinmyheart
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I just don't understand the perspective that children should pay for their own educations.
I just don't understand the perspective that parents should pay to their children's college education. Or that kids shouldn't have debt. When does it stop?
TXinmyheart is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #63
soccerdad72
DIS Veteran

Nope, planning on them both getting athletic scholarships. (kidding )
soccerdad72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #64
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

We do not pay our daughter's way. She is a sophomore in college. Fortunately, or rather UNfortunately, our income is very low so she gets the Pell grant. She went away to a state college for her first year, then chose to transfer to a local school and changed her major fron theater to culinary. She is happy as a clam AND she is saving money like crazy. At this point the sum total of her student loans is about $5000, and she's paying that down now. When she graduates she will have minimal debt.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:29 AM   #65
GrnMtnMan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkernj View Post
I think there was a pretty lengthy discussion about this on the budget board a while ago. It got pretty heated.
It might have been this one.
Dolphin 10/04
DL - Grand Californian 3/06
Disneyland Paris 9/07
Swan 9/08, 6/10
BLT 9/09, 12/10 - Father-Daughter Trip, 10/11, 10/12, 10/13, 10/14

Disney-Like: Atlantis - Paradise Island 3/01, 3/02, 9/03, 9/05, 3/07, 4/08, 3/09, 4/10, 3/11, 4/12, 3/13, 4/14, 4/15
GrnMtnMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #66
A_Princess'_Daddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXinmyheart View Post
I just don't understand the perspective that parents should pay to their children's college education. Or that kids shouldn't have debt. When does it stop?
And different perspectives are what make the world go around!
Old 01-16-2013, 09:34 AM   #67
GrnMtnMan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ummmm...It doesn't, if you love them more than money for yourself. There are limits to this, of course, but only after all options have been explored.

We hope that our children have a better life than ourselves. More economic freedom, more options for professions, basically more choices. I hope to teach my children to be good people as they grow and hope that they learn to not feel entitled to things...and that gifts are gifts, not obligations. If I fail to do this, paying for a college education will be towards the end of a series of parenting failures, not the beginning. Could be the last chance I have to provide them with a means of being self-sufficient.
Dolphin 10/04
DL - Grand Californian 3/06
Disneyland Paris 9/07
Swan 9/08, 6/10
BLT 9/09, 12/10 - Father-Daughter Trip, 10/11, 10/12, 10/13, 10/14

Disney-Like: Atlantis - Paradise Island 3/01, 3/02, 9/03, 9/05, 3/07, 4/08, 3/09, 4/10, 3/11, 4/12, 3/13, 4/14, 4/15
GrnMtnMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:36 AM   #68
Saphire
Loves to hear good news
I can't believe they pulled it off!!!

Location: Down By The River Charles...Boston, You're My Home!

We had nothing saved by the time our three went to college. I worked part time hours so I could be home with them before the age of 5, and worked really hard to teach them to learn to read, learn to be curious, etc. Then when they went off to school I continued part time, so we didn't have that extra to put aside.

We took out loans and will be paying for a while, they also took out loans. And each college gave them a significant scholarship. For masters and doctorate programs, they are on their own, but they chose great fields so will be able to pay it off over 15-20 years.

I don't think there is a right way, it is really personal matter and I have seen kids do great with all kinds of scenerios.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:36 AM   #69
Tinkermommy
Not too exciting but we all can't have a tipped uterus!

Quote:
I am of the Clark Howard camp that you cannot borrow for your retirement. I personally think it builds character and makes for a better student when they have skin in the game.

I see it all the time with business people with the difference in the way they treat things, shop, vacation when someone else is not picking up the tab.
Clark Howard says save and secure your retirement first. He doesn't say don't pay your child's college education.

We are able to do both. We will have both of our children's undergrad paid for (state college level tuition). Anything beyond that will be up to them.

Our priorities are:
Retirement savings
Savings (general)
Bills/living expenses
Kids education funds
Anything else (entertainment, vacation, etc)

So while I don't think you should go in debt for your kids and risk your future, it's a high priority for us. Way more important than Disney vacations or eating out, new cars, etc.

Today's landscape has changed. A college education is the entry ticket to most good careers, not a nice to have.

Full disclosure, my husband and I neither one received help from our parents. Mine weren't able to and his just didn't.

Tinkermommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:36 AM   #70
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Educating my children is as much a part of my responsibility as a parent as clothing them, feeding them and protecting them. In fact, I view educating them as doing all three, and a whole lot more, for their entire lives.

I think a lot of how you (general you) feel about paying for college education has to do with your financial situation.

Not always, but I believe it is a big factor.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #71
PlutoPony
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Anyway - if you do not intend to save any money for your child's education I hope that you pray for (1) a child with a 3.85 or better GPA, SAT score of 2050 or better, and the desire to take multiple AP courses (2) a child who excels at a sport and is recruited by a Division 1 school (3) a child suitable for community college to bachelor's program with free or reduced tuition in your state.
I have a senior as well and mostly agree with your quote in red, except to add that for a good amount of merit aid at good schools class rank is as important as grades and test scores. In our area you need to be in the top 5% of your HS graduating class, top 10% may get you a little $ as well but not as much. And over 2200 SAT seems to be the minimum to even be considered for full rides in our area, with a GPA of 4.0 or higher.

We expected merit aid to be competitive but it's MUCH MUCH more so than we thought it would be.
PlutoPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:42 AM   #72
robinb
DIS Veteran

I believe that student loans are the new indentured servitude. Too many young people end up with too much debt that cannot be discharged. I know someone who is in her 50's and still paying off student loans from 30 years ago.

We have been saving for our DD's college since she was a baby and we have almost 4 years at a state school set aside. If she wants to go to a private school then she will have to pay the difference herself or get scholarships. FTR, I went to a state school and paid my way 100%. My DH went for free to a private school where his father was a professor.

We believe that going to college is a requirement and providing that education is part of being a parent. I have a hard time wrapping my head around the "My kid is 18 and now an adult and ON THEIR OWN!" attitude that is common on the DIS.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #73
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

I can't find the post where someone mentioned "honoring my parents' sacrifice", but I thought it was spot on.

IMO, the NYT article was ridiculously simplistic. Laughable, even. Things just aren't that simple. A responsible, hardworking kid isn't suddenly going to start blowing off classes and become a lazy student just because mom and dad are footing the bill. Do some kids do that? Of course. Some kids do that even when they are paying their own way. Some kids take college seriously, some don't.

My parents paid 100% of my college tuition, room and board at a small private college. They didn't want me working during the semester so I could focus on my studies. Were they rich? No way. Mom was a teacher, Dad was an electrician. They saved long and hard to pay for my education. And believe me, I was conscious every single day of the gift that they'd given me, and the sacrifices they made for it.

If anything, I worked harder because they were paying for it, and I didn't want to throw away what they'd worked so hard for. And 30 years later, I'm still reaping the benefits of that gift. It's given me choices and options in life that I never would have had otherwise, and I've told them often how grateful I am for what they did for me.

I'm well aware that this isn't an option for every parent, and it's every family's choice to make. Just wanted to say that it's not always true that kids goof off because mom and dad are paying.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:48 AM   #74
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
I believe that student loans are the new indentured servitude. Too many young people end up with too much debt that cannot be discharged. I know someone who is in her 50's and still paying off student loans from 30 years ago.

We have been saving for our DD's college since she was a baby and we have almost 4 years at a state school set aside. If she wants to go to a private school then she will have to pay the difference herself or get scholarships. FTR, I went to a state school and paid my way 100%. My DH went for free to a private school where his father was a professor.

We believe that going to college is a requirement and providing that education is part of being a parent. I have a hard time wrapping my head around the "My kid is 18 and now an adult and ON THEIR OWN!" attitude that is common on the DIS.
I believe an education beyond high school is a requirement, not necessarily a 4 year university.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:48 AM   #75
A_Princess'_Daddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
I think a lot of how you (general you) feel about paying for college education has to do with your financial situation.

Not always, but I believe it is a big factor.
I absolutely agree with that. Like any expense, if there is no money to pay for it, parents simply cannot afford to help. That is different, in my opinion, than choosing not to pay when you (same general you) could pay, and that is what I sense some people are stating as their values. And that is fine and it is their value, I just do not agree with it personally. Doesn't make it wrong, just makes it not how I'll plan to deal with my children's education.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: