Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

Buy CDs at Amazon? Check your cloud player

Amazon now has a service called "autorip" for many of the cds they sell. When you buy an "autorip" eligible cd, you get a free MP3 of the songs on your cloud player.

You might not even know you have a cloud player account, but if you have an account on Amazon, you do have one. They give you 20gb of storage for free just for having an account with Amazon.

I didn't know about this, but someone told me about it and I checked over the weekend. I have 430 songs on my cloud player. I don't buy a ton of cds from them, but the service seems to be retroactive for several years! I bought a boxed set in 2010 and all the songs from it showed up on my free cloud account.

So you can go on your phone or iPad, or computer and listen to these songs via the cloud. If you want to you can even download the songs to your device. In theory you could buy a cd, give it to a friend, and still listen to the songs on the cloud.

The catch? Well you only get 20 gb free, after that they offer additional cloud storage which you pay for. I'm sure that's what they have in mind.

Not everything is an autorip, but many selections are. Pretty cool deal for free, and still a pretty cool deal if you buy additional storage.

If you've never checked your cloud player, just go to Amazon, and just below the search box you'll see a row of various options to select from. Cloud player is the third option from the left.

One other thing, if you buy an autorip cd from Amazon, your music goes into your cloud player instantly. You can enjoy the music even before the cd arrives in the mail. This is supposed to work for movies too, but I didn't have any dvds on my cloud player.

Enjoy!
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:22 PM   #2
ChrisFL
Disney/Universal Fan and MALE

CD? I can't even remember the last time I bought a CD!

Disney Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS
ChrisFL is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2013, 08:37 PM   #3
Micca

Chris I think many people are in your camp, and I can understand why. Some people still prefer physical media. The thing is, anything you don't own on physical media *could* go away or otherwise be compromised. That's cool if you're willing to risk that.

Forgot to mention that if you've bought autorip cds for friends or family as gifts, those too will be in your cloud player. (I believe you can delete them).
Old 01-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #4
topolino
I don't mean those kind of gestures!
Not everything we eat needs to be healthy. Live a little!

Pretty cool, I just checked it out. I have 148 songs in my Amazon Cloud Player. All the songs that I have on there, I also have on my iTunes, but it's good to know they are in this cloud too. Who knows, someday I may need to retrieve them.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:20 PM   #5
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micca View Post
Amazon now has a service called "autorip" for many of the cds they sell. When you buy an "autorip" eligible cd, you get a free MP3 of the songs on your cloud player.

You might not even know you have a cloud player account, but if you have an account on Amazon, you do have one. They give you 20gb of storage for free just for having an account with Amazon.

I didn't know about this, but someone told me about it and I checked over the weekend. I have 430 songs on my cloud player. I don't buy a ton of cds from them, but the service seems to be retroactive for several years! I bought a boxed set in 2010 and all the songs from it showed up on my free cloud account.

So you can go on your phone or iPad, or computer and listen to these songs via the cloud. If you want to you can even download the songs to your device. In theory you could buy a cd, give it to a friend, and still listen to the songs on the cloud.

The catch? Well you only get 20 gb free, after that they offer additional cloud storage which you pay for. I'm sure that's what they have in mind.

Not everything is an autorip, but many selections are. Pretty cool deal for free, and still a pretty cool deal if you buy additional storage.

If you've never checked your cloud player, just go to Amazon, and just below the search box you'll see a row of various options to select from. Cloud player is the third option from the left.

One other thing, if you buy an autorip cd from Amazon, your music goes into your cloud player instantly. You can enjoy the music even before the cd arrives in the mail. This is supposed to work for movies too, but I didn't have any dvds on my cloud player.

Enjoy!
Beatles maybe???

Thanks for the heads up, Ron. I went to my account, 211 songs. And now they are on my phone and tablet. Thanks.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Dan Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:52 PM   #6
Lintasare
Holy
Hello. My name is Inigo Peeptoya...you ate my father...prepare to die
Ok fess up...who killed the riddle?

I logged into my Cloud Player and there were over 250 new songs thanks to this Autorip thing. Even some stuff from CDs I no longer have. This is awesome.

Lintasare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:46 AM   #7
Micca

Quote:
Originally Posted by topolino View Post
Pretty cool, I just checked it out. I have 148 songs in my Amazon Cloud Player. All the songs that I have on there, I also have on my iTunes, but it's good to know they are in this cloud too. Who knows, someday I may need to retrieve them.
That's certainly a benefit of the cloud--it is possible to download songs to your computer.

I have a 32gig iPod touch for most of my music listening, but my phone is only 16 gig so there isn't a lot of storage there. That's where the cloud comes in handy(as Dan mentioned).

Also consider that automobiles are becoming connected to the web. You won't need a phone or an iPod to listen to content in your car, just the internet interface on your dashboard.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:56 AM   #8
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFL View Post
CD? I can't even remember the last time I bought a CD!
lol..me neither
Old 01-16-2013, 09:32 AM   #9
SueInBoston
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Murphy View Post
Beatles maybe???
Strange...my Beatles box set didn't show up in my cloud player...but all those rap albums my son purchased are (which I can care less about )
SueInBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #10
Micca

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueInBoston View Post
Strange...my Beatles box set didn't show up in my cloud player...but all those rap albums my son purchased are (which I can care less about )
Sue not every purchase is available for autorip, I suspect that may be the case with The Beatles. However my John Lennon boxed set from 2010 was there, and the McCartney tracks I bought were there. If an album is available for autorip it will be designated on the order page for that disc.

One of the cool things was my pre-order for the Sandy benefit concert tracks appeared on the cloud the day it was released. I don't even have the actual cd yet, but the songs are available to me.

If your son isn't using the cloud player, you could delete the unwanted tracks to free up space. Or I'm sure Amazon would love for you to purchase some additional storage
Old 01-16-2013, 10:04 AM   #11
lynxstch
Love that Figment!
Turkey, Clay, and my favorite all time christmas song..all on the same day..it doesn't get any better!
Learned the hard way not to store meltables in the oven

another DIS'er here who never knew she had a cloud player on Amazon, lol. I do buy cd's (don't own an MP3 player or i phone), but I went on Amazon to look. I DO have a cloud player, but there's nothing on it. It told me I had accept the terms of something to get to it, but there's no songs there. Maybe nothing I bought was auto rip..but thanks for the heads up!
Old 01-16-2013, 10:08 AM   #12
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Quote:
Sue not every purchase is available for autorip, I suspect that may be the case with The Beatles. However my John Lennon boxed set from 2010 was there, and the McCartney tracks I bought were there. If an album is available for autorip it will be designated on the order page for that disc.

One of the cool things was my pre-order for the Sandy benefit concert tracks appeared on the cloud the day it was released. I don't even have the actual cd yet, but the songs are available to me.

If your son isn't using the cloud player, you could delete the unwanted tracks to free up space. Or I'm sure Amazon would love for you to purchase some additional storage
The way I read it, Ron, it that music purchased from Amazon does not count against your storage limit. And I have 5 G, not 20 G as my free amount.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Old 01-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #13
Micca

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxstch View Post
another DIS'er here who never knew she had a cloud player on Amazon, lol. I do buy cd's (don't own an MP3 player or i phone), but I went on Amazon to look. I DO have a cloud player, but there's nothing on it. It told me I had accept the terms of something to get to it, but there's no songs there. Maybe nothing I bought was auto rip..but thanks for the heads up!
You might poke around the cloud player a little bit and see what happens. My list was empty when I first logged in. A few minutes later there were 250 songs, then 432 songs. I think maybe it doesn't activate until the first time you actually log in.

It's possible that none of your purchases were autorip, or maybe you haven't bought anything for a while? I was surpised to see some stuff from 2010 in there so it's retroactive to at least a couple of years. If you lookup some of your cd purchases on Amazon there will be a small graphic by the album art that says "auto-rip."
Old 01-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #14
SueInBoston
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks!!
SueInBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:17 AM   #15
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Quote:
You might poke around the cloud player a little bit and see what happens. My list was empty when I first logged in. A few minutes later there were 250 songs, then 432 songs. I think maybe it doesn't activate until the first time you actually log in.

It's possible that none of your purchases were autorip, or maybe you haven't bought anything for a while? I was surpised to see some stuff from 2010 in there so it's retroactive to at least a couple of years. If you lookup some of your cd purchases on Amazon there will be a small graphic by the album art that says "auto-rip."
I had some in there from a 1998 CD purchase, Hootie and the Blowfish.

Why she runs.....

dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: