Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 06:40 AM   #16
mouselike-harrier
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
I like CSR as much as CR and more than the Poly.
This. We have stayed at all the Deluxe resorts and my kids still talk about CSR. The grounds are quiet and beautiful and they absolutely loved the bus service which is hands down the best we ever experienced.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:44 AM   #17
Mariannekay
Now, think of the happiest things. It's the same as having wings.

The main selling point for me was the queen sized beds! We fell in love with CSR during our last visit! Larger rooms, comfy beds, loved the slide door between bathroom area and bedroom. Loved it!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2013, 08:26 AM   #18
Cinderumbrella
Wench

We have been deluxe folks for years. But if we want a budget trip, or a quick trip where we won't spend much time in the room or resort, then its Pop all the way for us!!

However, we are trying a moderate again this year for the first time in almost 8 years. We steered away from deluxe simply because we are taking an extended trip and the cost was going to be too much.

The mods appeal to me because of the queen beds and a slide at the pool, something the values just don't have.

We specifically chose POR because of the boat to DTD, the large food court options and I think the Royal Rooms look FANTASTIC in terms of decor and attention to detail.
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~
Grand Floridian August 1997

Cinderumbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:50 AM   #19
Order66
DIS Veteran

We have stayed twice value (ASSp) and 4 times at mods (POR and CBR). We prefer the mods. I've never gone without some kind of discount, room or FD, and have found that the price is only about $50 a night more than a value for us.

The rooms are nicer and a little bigger. POR and CBR have 2 sinks making it faster and easier for 4 people to get ready in the morning. The grounds are themed much prettier and more relaxing. POR has sitting areas along the river I enjoyed sitting at with some coffee in the am while CBR has nice courtyards and a beach I found great for unwinding in the evening. The values don't offer much in the way of a quiet area to relax. The pools are bigger, nicer and have slides (the kids find this important!). The pool area at POR at least has shaded areas to sit in (I find this important!). As other have mentioned- hot tubs. Bus waiting areas are covered- no baking in the sun on concrete.

The thing about the values I did like was that no matter where you were the common building didn't seem so far. So walking to the food court or gift shop was no big deal. Everything is a bit more spread out at the mods.

regards
Order66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #20
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

Selling point of a Mod- a bit less chaotic than a value (and fewer athletic groups) and the best part...

... hot tubs!

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #21
KMcCP
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessz79
We have only done CBR as a moderate, but this is what we like about it compared to Values:

*Better pools with a slide
*A TS restaurant in addition to CS, in case we want to use TS but not leave the resort
*Better landscaping, prettier surroundings
*Lots of places to walk and my DH appreciates jogging trails
*Recreational Rentals- bikes, boats, etc.
*Nicer rooms (though CBR is still lacking queen size beds!)
*Tends to be quieter and more relaxed in general

We still use Values relatively often.

Another great value is the Swan and Dolphin. It is almost at a moderate price (and if you are a teacher or nurse, much more so) and you get a Deluxe experience. If you love the Epcot resort area, this should be a definite consideration.
What do nurses get?
Old 01-16-2013, 09:31 AM   #22
shoney
DIS Veteran

I have only stayed at a mod, POR. Our previous trips were offsite, mostly timeshares.

Hot tub...yuck! It was one big warm kiddie pool! Really, it was loaded with kids everytime we went to the pool area.

I chose POR because it was only slightly more than a value and it included the regular dining plan, instead of quick service.

Deluxes were pricing out at least $2, 000 more at the time. I didn't feel that that was worth it.

The grounds themselves were nice. Pool with slide was a plus. We really enjoyed our meal at boatwrights. having the boat to DTD was great. Bob in the lounge was fun.

We were not impressed with the room itself....refurbished mansion.
shoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:40 AM   #23
Dixiemom
DIS Veteran

Have stayed at CSR and Pop. My husband loved that CSR had the fitness center (the only mod that does)....the kids LOVED that pool and its' slide! The Pepper Market was really good, as was the Maya Grill. Just the kids and I went to Pop this past June. Good food court, although we went to AoA's one night and it was awesome (I loved the tandoori options)......they loved Pop, but they were 11 and 7 at the time and to be honest they don't care where we stay as long as we hit the waterparks LOL I did miss the queen beds but with just the 3 of us it wasn't that big of an issue.

Lynn, mom of 2

DS 14, DD 9
Dixiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #24
ABtwinmommy
Mouseketeer

I have never stayed at a value as they just don't appeal to me at all. The size/bed size and theming of the mods appeal to me much more. Also several mods have onsite ts restaurants, and the Port Orleans resorts have easy access to DTD by boat, where there are many more dining options as well as shopping and entertainment. From what I have read the mods are much calmer and quieter than the values, and that is very important to me. The pools are nice and not too crowded in my experience. And last but not least, the price is right. I consider mods to be very affordable and nice resorts to stay at. While I do want to try several deluxes in the future, I think the prices are kinda crazy. So for now I am very happy at the mods.
Planning next trip to my happy place ~ Jan/Feb 2014-CR/BC
ABtwinmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:44 PM   #25
nessz79
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMcCP View Post
What do nurses get?
I'm a teacher, so I dont' personally use the nurses' rate. However, it is generally a good deal cheaper than the regular rate. It is not always offered so you have to check your dates.

For example, we went this past October for the Food and Wine festival. The regular rate was around $229 and we paid $159. That's about the price of a moderate. Not everyone likes the Swan and Dolphin (it's not Disney owned and has less of a Disney feel in some opinions), but we felt it was worth it.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:09 PM   #26
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

IMO, as far as the resorts themselves go (i.e., aside from location, which, IMO, is the biggest advantage of deluxe over moderate), the moderate resorts give you about 80% of what the deluxe resorts offer at 50% (or less) of the price. Aside from location, the only advantages of deluxe over moderate that we mainly care about are somewhat larger rooms and more and better on-site table service restaurants (for example, we're not into club level).

On the other hand, there are several perks that are available at deluxes that are also available at moderates but not available at values. These include queen beds (except CBR), hot tubs, water slides, covered bus stops, better landscaping and, to us, more subtle and attactive overall theming that provide a more relaxed and resort-like feel than the values (which, to us, feel more like oversized motels with over-the-top Disney theming).
Old 01-16-2013, 07:18 PM   #27
KMcCP
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessz79

I'm a teacher, so I dont' personally use the nurses' rate. However, it is generally a good deal cheaper than the regular rate. It is not always offered so you have to check your dates.

For example, we went this past October for the Food and Wine festival. The regular rate was around $229 and we paid $159. That's about the price of a moderate. Not everyone likes the Swan and Dolphin (it's not Disney owned and has less of a Disney feel in some opinions), but we felt it was worth it.
Good to know- thanks! I'll have to look into it.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:18 PM   #28
pokanos
Earning My Ears

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouselike-harrier View Post
This. We have stayed at all the Deluxe resorts and my kids still talk about CSR. The grounds are quiet and beautiful and they absolutely loved the bus service which is hands down the best we ever experienced.
We're choosing CSR for our trip in Nov. and the beautiful grounds and bus service are 2 of the draws for us. We are also traveling w/my bff who is not very into everything Disney. She has only been to DL once and wasn't overly impressed. I convinced her that there will be plenty for her to enjoy besides Princesses and Goofy at WDW! I'm thinking CSR will make a good impression on her. I am really hoping to find our "home" resort. This is our 3rd mod out of 4 so crossing fingers!
pokanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:07 AM   #29
iman
Mouseketeer

We either book a moderate (POR) or a deluxe like the beach club. The reason for the moderate's appeal, imo, is the rooms are slightly larger and everything just seems a little bit less "frenzied". We stayed at All star sports once, and it was fine but there were was so much 'activity' it just seemed too 'busy'.
iman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:21 AM   #30
UrsulaGirl
Earning My Ears

For girls trips with my mom and sister, it's a moderate all the way. Extra bus stops and coffee makers in the rooms are what make the difference for us. We eat a small breakfast in our room, make our own coffee, and then head out of our room to the closest bus stop and our day has begun!
UrsulaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: