Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 09:09 PM   #16
hellow
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM27 View Post
For regular sick days we can pick our subs. We fill out a form online and request the person we want. Maternity leave is a posted position. We currently have 4 teachers out on leave and they interviewed for all of them and made them do a demo lesson.
That is how it works where I work too. I am currently a substitute teacher. I had to be licensed by the state as a teacher, and interviewed to be on each district's sub list. Sometimes I get called in that morning, and sometimes (like this week) I get asked by the teacher to sub for prearranged leave. For the longer prearranged jobs, I often do the lesson planning as well. I am not a retired teacher, but I did go back to become a teacher after working in business for 25 years, so I am a "seasoned" employee.

All LT sub jobs (like maternity leaves) would require a separate application and interview, just like for a full time teaching job.
hellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:06 PM   #17
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathi OD View Post
Amazing the differences in policy & procedures across the country. In my district, a secretary or clerk would never be included in the hiring process, even at the substitute level.

To be clear, they aren't really hiring. Someone else has already chosen that person for the "pool". They just make the arrangements for who works when.
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2013, 12:17 AM   #18
IDoDis
Knows the password to get into the Water Buffalo Lodge

I am a full time teacher. When i had my kids I chose my sub each time who were regular subs at my school. One sub was an assistant who had just graduated from college and was looking for a teaching job. I provided lesson plans for the first week. After that the sub was on her own. My district doesn't have paid maternity leave. Teachers have to use banked sick leave days or take leave without pay.
Disney World ~ Pop Century, May '06
Disney World ~Windsor Hills, May '08
Disney World ~Wilderness Lodge, June '09
Disneyland ~ Offsite, Oct '10
Disney World ~ Boardwalk Inn, June '12
IDoDis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:48 AM   #19
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

I teach full time.

We sub internally. When someone is going to be out for an extended time, the administration tries to get teachers who are free during those periods to cover the classes. In fact, just before Christmas, I covered a first period class for a good friend who was recovering from surgery.

We're paid extra to cover the classes.

numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:33 AM   #20
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc View Post
I teach full time.

We sub internally. When someone is going to be out for an extended time, the administration tries to get teachers who are free during those periods to cover the classes. In fact, just before Christmas, I covered a first period class for a good friend who was recovering from surgery.

We're paid extra to cover the classes.
Do your elementary level teachers have free periods to do it this way? Or just MS and HS?
Old 01-16-2013, 07:41 AM   #21
Kitty 34
Hums in her sleep, but never when she's awake
I only raise tomatos for those cute caterpillars... but I won't go near a tomato
Never underestimate the TF!!!

Thank you. Some interesting and different answers. It's amazing the different policies required.

The reason for my questions.......I'm a veteran sub, 30 years this week at the same and only school district. I have done 16 long term jobs, ten being maternity leaves. I have a teaching degree but my certificate expired way back ironically before I did any of these long terms.

Anyway, I was aked in Oct by the building principal to cover for a pregnant 4th grade teacher due in Feb. Our school had a change over in administration (including our Super) in the fall and just yesterday (3 wks before teacher is due) they have decided to post the job. In my 30 years I was always just asked (sometimes begged ) to do a long term position.

But it sounds like that is fairly common practice to post the job. Hopefully they find someone in the next three weeks!!
Old 01-16-2013, 08:08 AM   #22
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!

....in our district, our subs aren't considered 'daily' or 'long-term' subs. However, if a teacher has had a particular sub for their class [that they like]and they know that they are going to be out for an extended period of time, the teacher will sometimes request for that particular sub to fill in, although the sub may turn down the long-term offer.....
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath..."
kimmar067 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:26 AM   #23
kirstenb1
DIS Veteran

I've subbed both long and short term. Our system lets teachers select a "preferred sub", so I see the listing or get a call about it before it goes out to all the subs, if the teacher wants. I have a BA in History, but no Ed courses. I'm signed up for only 2 schools, dd's elementary, and a special needs preschool, but I keep very busy, working most days of the week. I love my job!!!

For long term assignments, I'm sure a licensed teacher would be preferred but we're a small rural district, so there aren't too many of them signed up to sub.
kirstenb1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #24
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

In our district, someone on maternity leave would have an interim teacher fill in for them. Not a sub. Usually. The school would post the interim position on the district job website and interview certified teachers for the position.
MrsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #25
DisneyJen0504
Married my Prince Charming. Mommy to Avery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathi OD

Amazing the differences in policy & procedures across the country. In my district, a secretary or clerk would never be included in the hiring process, even at the substitute level.
Same here.
The Carsons Head to Disney World 2012
Girls Trip: Dancing in Walt Disney World 2009
DisneyJen0504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #26
horseshowmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty 34 View Post
Thank you. Some interesting and different answers. It's amazing the different policies required.

The reason for my questions.......I'm a veteran sub, 30 years this week at the same and only school district. I have done 16 long term jobs, ten being maternity leaves. I have a teaching degree but my certificate expired way back ironically before I did any of these long terms.

Anyway, I was aked in Oct by the building principal to cover for a pregnant 4th grade teacher due in Feb. Our school had a change over in administration (including our Super) in the fall and just yesterday (3 wks before teacher is due) they have decided to post the job. In my 30 years I was always just asked (sometimes begged ) to do a long term position.

But it sounds like that is fairly common practice to post the job. Hopefully they find someone in the next three weeks!!
Sounds like that's your answer. In our school district, the superintendent is elected. We've had three different superintendents the last three elections. Believe me, all of them do things differently and want to change LOTS of things. I would imagine that's what's happening in your district as well. You might want to get your license renewed just as a precaution. It may be as simple as contacting the state dept. of education and requesting that it be renewed. Can't hurt to check.
horseshowmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:14 PM   #27
Kitty 34
Hums in her sleep, but never when she's awake
I only raise tomatos for those cute caterpillars... but I won't go near a tomato
Never underestimate the TF!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseshowmom View Post
Sounds like that's your answer. In our school district, the superintendent is elected. We've had three different superintendents the last three elections. Believe me, all of them do things differently and want to change LOTS of things. I would imagine that's what's happening in your district as well. You might want to get your license renewed just as a precaution. It may be as simple as contacting the state dept. of education and requesting that it be renewed. Can't hurt to check.
I'll be 59 next week. I was planning on retiring this past fall anyway but have to stay "active" until next January. So no, I don't have any plans on renewing anthing........was just wondering what were other schools' policies on these matters.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #28
torinsmom
I have someone coming to scoop
I don't know how a man could wear them

Timely post---I start a 4 week leave tomorrow, not for maternity leave, but for ankle surgery. I picked my sub; someone who has never subbed before. She is my assistant at an afterschool tutoring job and she is amazing. She is thinking of changing her major to teaching and this should be a good experience for her.
August 3-11, 2008--Pop Century Grand Gathering
July 6-13, 2009--Universal Studios
June 16-25 2010--Universal AND Disney for 10 days (Emerald Island)
August 10-20 2011--Universal and Disney(Indian Creek)
July 6-14 2012--Universal and Disney--doing YES again!
July 14-21 2013--Universal and Disney with family
torinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:25 PM   #29
HsvTeacher
DIS Veteran

We can choose our daily and long-term subs from an approved sub list. For long-term subs, we have to choose someone who is a certified teacher. The positions are never posted.
Once a Year from 1992-1997-Off Site*September 2008-ASMu*March 2009-POP *May 2009-SSR and AKV Kidani*June 2009-Vero Beach*October 2009-AKV Kidani*May 2010-AKV Kidani*June 2010-Vero Beach*June 2010-AKV Kidani*July 2010-SSR*October 2010-SSR*December 2010-Swan*December 2010-DCL Wonder*December 2010-AKL CL Jambo*April 2011-VWL*May 2011-My Sister's House*June 2011-BCV and BLT*June 2012-AKL CL Jambo*June 2012-DCL Fantasy*June 2012-AKV Kidani*July 2013-SSR*March 2014-AKV Kidani

(Me) (DH) * DVC Members (AKV) Since February 2009

HsvTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:38 AM   #30
Kathryn Merteuil
Barden Bella

It all depends on the district.

Around here the administration takes care of all of it; short term, or long term.
Kathryn Merteuil is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: