Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
Kitty 34
Hums in her sleep, but never when she's awake
I only raise tomatos for those cute caterpillars... but I won't go near a tomato
Never underestimate the TF!!!

Question I have a couple of questions for Substitute teachers and full time teachers.

I'll start with the full time teachers........when a teacher is taking a maternity leave at your school (I think most leaves are 6-8 wks) does your school post that position or do you find your own sub and clear it with the principal?

Substitute teachers........if you have done a long term (maternity leave of 6 wks or so) did you actually apply for said position or did they (the teacher/principal) come to you and ask if you'd be interested?
Old 01-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #2
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

I got my teaching job because I was the preferred sub at a school. I was requested by most of the teachers so when a full time job came up, I was essentially offered the position prior to interviewing. Because I was so well known at this school, I was offered a long-term sub position the day before it was to be posted online. I accepted so the secretary put me in the position without ever posting the position. However, there were other situations where the long term position was posted without knowing who would fill it.

When I found out I was pregnant, I started "test-driving" subs. When I would have a Dr's appointment, I would have a sub. Then, the next day, I would talk with my students about how they felt about him/her. A few weeks later when I had to go to a workshop or something, I'd get a new sub and get a feel for how my students felt about this one. My principal told me that I could choose my own long-term sub (contingent upon her approval) or that they could just post the position and see who took it. Lucikly, I found one that seemed to be a good fit for my students and he was just put in that position. He was a football player for the university in our town (major Division 1 university) so all the boys idolized him and the girls all had huge crushes on him. This lead to him having great classroom control and lots of work getting done. Unfortunately, part way through, he was offered a full time teaching job. At that point, the position was posted online in our district's subbing database and another sub picked up the job and took over for the rest of the year.
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2013, 04:01 PM   #3
daisyduck123
I just love those parmesan mashed potatoes at Chef Mickey's!
I don't know how to cut & paste
Disney has made my family & I "park snobs"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty 34 View Post
I'll start with the full time teachers........when a teacher is taking a maternity leave at your school (I think most leaves are 6-8 wks) does your school post that position or do you find your own sub and clear it with the principal?

I'm a full time elementary classroom teacher.

We can do it either way:

1) If we want to do it ourselves, we can. After we have secured the sub, we just notify the secretary that "so & so will fill the position". This person is usually a sub that has been in the building before. It's just easier to get someone familiar with our school's routines. We almost never have someone who is not a regular in our school.

2) If we don't want to, one of our school secretaries will take care of everything.
daisyduck123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:04 PM   #4
#1hoosierfan
DIS Veteran

I am a full-time teacher. I have a feeling that this is going to different for each district.

Right after I graduated I got a maternity position and the teacher "chose" me. When I had my first son, I pretty much chose the lady that would fill in for me. With my second, the principal had a "family friend" that he wanted to fill-in. I got to sit in our the interviews and had a say.... the family friend was my second choice.

Maternity positions are not posted in our district.
March 2012 - CBR
October 2011 (wine and dine half-marathon)
March 2011, June 2010
#1hoosierfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #5
horseshowmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty 34 View Post

Substitute teachers........if you have done a long term (maternity leave of 6 wks or so) did you actually apply for said position or did they (the teacher/principal) come to you and ask if you'd be interested?

Our school (and school district) is pretty small so we're pretty limited on subs. If a teacher knows they are going to be out, they can let the principal know that they would like to have x as a sub, and unless the principal has a problem with it, their request would be honored. Generally, we try to get one of our subs who is a retired teacher to take the long term position because none of our other subs are equipped to "run" a class for that long.
horseshowmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:30 PM   #6
clarkshel
DIS Veteran

I guess the answer to this is different depending on where you live. At the board my wife teaches at, in Canada, they can pick the subs hey would like to have. When my wife graduated from university, she subbed at a few different schools. One of the schools gave her a temp contract to cover the year maternity leave a teacher was on. My wife ended up getting a permanent contract at that school. The cool thing about the board she works at is the system is all automated. When you need a sub, you phone an automated system and state your reason for a sub. Then you have the option to specifying the sub you want, or let the system pick one.

Last edited by clarkshel; 01-15-2013 at 04:37 PM.
clarkshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:53 PM   #7
MM27
DIS Veteran

For regular sick days we can pick our subs. We fill out a form online and request the person we want. Maternity leave is a posted position. We currently have 4 teachers out on leave and they interviewed for all of them and made them do a demo lesson.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:54 PM   #8
LA PIG
Mouseketeer

In my district, all leave positions must be posted. The principal or department head may have someone in mind for the position, but the position must be posted. We can certainly request to have someone fill our position, but it is not guaranteed. If a more qualified, outside candidate applies, chances are that that person will get the job.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #9
BrerMom

My hero, zero

Depends on the district. For my first child, I was responsible for finding, interviewing, and training my "replacement." For the 2nd and 3rd kids, I made recommendations and the administration chose and took care of the details. Much easier on me.

Everybody's got the right to be different even though at times they go to extremes.
Aim for what you want a lot - Everybody gets a shot. Everybody's got a right to their dreams...

Everybody's got the right to some sunshine Not the sun but maybe one of its beams. One of its beams.
Rich man, poor man, black or white, pick your apple, take a bite,
Everybody just hold tight to your dreams. Everybody's got the right to their dreams...
BrerMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #10
soccerchick
Dis Veteran
My husband has rice duty

I've never seen a long-term sub position posted - I've never posted one as a dept. chair or as a teacher.

Here, long-term subs are different from regular subs and have higher requirements/qualifications and receive higher pay.

We usually put out feelers to the LT subs we know when we have a pregnancy or illness. If the ones we know aren't available, we ask around at others schools close by to see if they have someone they recommend. We will do short, pretty informal interviews.

Long-term sub jobs are great ways to be first in line when a job opens up. We hired my LTS from my second pregnancy to work in our school .
soccerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:49 PM   #11
bigbabyblues
DIS Veteran

Not a teacher, but a school secretary. Our administrator takes care of getting subs for all the teachers.
bigbabyblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:55 PM   #12
DisneyJen0504
Married my Prince Charming. Mommy to Avery

Full time teacher here. All leave positions must be posted even if the administrator has someone in mind. Day to day subs are rarely considered for long term leaves bc they need to be a certified teacher to fill a leave position whereas a substitute just needs a certain #of college credits. In my district long terms are interviewed and do a demo lesson. While we can recommend someone, we don't have much input.
The Carsons Head to Disney World 2012
Girls Trip: Dancing in Walt Disney World 2009
DisneyJen0504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #13
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

At my kids' school, it falls to the clerk (my wife), the secretary, or the principle. Typically, it starts with secretary. Long term require a certification, so they are often retired teachers who previously worked in the district. Teachers can make requests, but administration has the final call.

For those wondering the difference, secretary in our district is a year round job, clerk is basically the same job, but not year round.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:02 PM   #14
Kathi OD
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the nevermind we know what was thereRedhead
Guess what - Doesn't like the cheese soup

In our district, the position is posted and supposedly you have no choice who is chosen to replace you. In reality, if you have a preference, you can mention that you would like "x" to come in for you. However, that doesn't guarantee that "x" will get the job.

Usually, the person chosen will either come from the current substitute pool at the school, or be someone who has a connection with an administrator or teacher already in the district.

"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts." -- C. S. Lewis
Kathi OD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #15
Kathi OD
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the nevermind we know what was thereRedhead
Guess what - Doesn't like the cheese soup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
At my kids' school, it falls to the clerk (my wife), the secretary, or the principle. Typically, it starts with secretary. Long term require a certification, so they are often retired teachers who previously worked in the district. Teachers can make requests, but administration has the final call.

For those wondering the difference, secretary in our district is a year round job, clerk is basically the same job, but not year round.
Amazing the differences in policy & procedures across the country. In my district, a secretary or clerk would never be included in the hiring process, even at the substitute level.

"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts." -- C. S. Lewis
Kathi OD is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: