Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
HawkeyeFan
Earning My Ears

Question Opinions on our reservations please!?! :)

We are embarking on our first ever Disney World trip with our 4 children next month, ages; 9, 8, 4, 1. We are staying at the AOA and decided to go with the dining plus plan so I made some reservations a month or so ago. Can you please let me know what you think? Our plan is to try get up at a decent time each morning so we can get to the parks early in the day.

Also, if we have our Dining Plus Plan and don't eat that last day we are there, does that give us more meals per day? If so, maybe I can upgrade to a higher scale restaurant to use those points? Any suggestions are MUCH appreciated.

1st day(arrival day-no park) Get settled into our room and Boma for dinner
2nd day Hollywood Studios and 50's Primetime for lunch.. back to the hotel to swim and quick service for dinner.
3rd day Animal Kingdom and Tusker House for Character Breakfast Dining beforehand.
4th day Magic Kingdom and Kona for our dinner reservation - Fireworks show afterwards
5th day Epcot and Ohana for dinner
6th day... depart for home

Thanks so much in advance! I am getting quite nervous and hope I am making the right decisions.
HawkeyeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
julie4423
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFan View Post
We are embarking on our first ever Disney World trip with our 4 children next month, ages; 9, 8, 4, 1. We are staying at the AOA and decided to go with the dining plus plan so I made some reservations a month or so ago. Can you please let me know what you think? Our plan is to try get up at a decent time each morning so we can get to the parks early in the day.

Also, if we have our Dining Plus Plan and don't eat that last day we are there, does that give us more meals per day? If so, maybe I can upgrade to a higher scale restaurant to use those points? Any suggestions are MUCH appreciated.

2nd day Hollywood Studios and 50's Primetime for lunch.. back to the hotel to swim and quick service for dinner.
3rd day Animal Kingdom and Tusker House for Character Breakfast Dining beforehand.
4th day Magic Kingdom and Kona for our dinner reservation - Fireworks show afterwards

Thanks so much in advance! I am getting quite nervous and hope I am making the right decisions.
If you are staying 5 nights, you have 5 days worth of the DP so you have another TS to use. Can I ask why you would leave Epcot to eat? They have the best restaurant options of any park. We actually get park hoppers mostly because we eat at Epcot so often. Are you trying to find more memorable meals for the kids, or the best food? I would have different suggestions for either way.
julie4423 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
HawkeyeFan
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie4423 View Post
If you are staying 5 nights, you have 5 days worth of the DP so you have another TS to use. Can I ask why you would leave Epcot to eat? They have the best restaurant options of any park. We actually get park hoppers mostly because we eat at Epcot so often. Are you trying to find more memorable meals for the kids, or the best food? I would have different suggestions for either way.
I don't have a reason for that to be honest with you, although have heard great things about Ohana. With our kids being younger(our 8 yr old has Down Syndrome), I am wondering if there will be enough to do at Epcot to keep the young ones occupied for the day, until dinner? I am very open to suggestions and appreciate all feedback. Thanks!
Old 01-14-2013, 08:05 PM   #4
julie4423
Mouseketeer

I've never been with a 1 year old, so someone else might be able to chime in with more experience there. However, I think Epcot is awesome for kids if you know where to look. This link gives lots of info. http://www.wdwinfo.com/just_for_kids/epcotkids.htm

It mentions Akershus in Norway which I love (for myself probably more than the kids ) It's a great princess dinner for 1 credit. I've only been to dinner and loved it. The is also the Biergarten that is loads of fun for kids, and I enjoyed the food. It's another buffet though. I see you're already doing a couple others, and you might be over that with 2 very small ones. Boma was just ok IMO by the way. I felt like I had to go so far out of my way for an ok dinner, but others rave about it.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #5
HawkeyeFan
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I've never been with a 1 year old, so someone else might be able to chime in with more experience there. However, I think Epcot is awesome for kids if you know where to look. This link gives lots of info. http://www.wdwinfo.com/just_for_kids/epcotkids.htm

It mentions Akershus in Norway which I love (for myself probably more than the kids ) It's a great princess dinner for 1 credit. I've only been to dinner and loved it. The is also the Biergarten that is loads of fun for kids, and I enjoyed the food. It's another buffet though. I see you're already doing a couple others, and you might be over that with 2 very small ones. Boma was just ok IMO by the way. I felt like I had to go so far out of my way for an ok dinner, but others rave about it.

I am with you! I want to make it enjoyable for the kids but also for mom and dad. I am not stuck on any of my reservations, and would be willing to change. Thanks for the wonderful information and I will check out that link! Our kiddos are swimmers so going back to the resort a few days out of the trip for naps and pool time might be important?! This is all a bit confusing for our first trip.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:16 PM   #6
julie4423
Mouseketeer

You definitely might need the naps, but I don't know about the pool time in February. It can be pretty cold, so I wouldn't count on it. We are more on a mission never leave the parks kind of people. I could never be satisfied with 1 day at each park because there is sooo much to do. That is likely how you will feel at the end of your trip, and you'll already be planning the next trip for twice as long. It happens to all of us. That's also why I was thinking it might be better to stay in or close to the parks for ADRs. I was also thinking that since you have an extra credit to use, you could check into Hoop Dee Doo Musical Revue. It's 2TS credits for dinner and show. It would be perfect for your first night.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:20 PM   #7
TwistGrl101
DIS Veteran

Are you renting a car? If not, I don't think it's worth it to go out of your way for Boma for dinner...
TwistGrl101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:31 PM   #8
HawkeyeFan
Earning My Ears

Quote:
You definitely might need the naps, but I don't know about the pool time in February. It can be pretty cold, so I wouldn't count on it. We are more on a mission never leave the parks kind of people. I could never be satisfied with 1 day at each park because there is sooo much to do. That is likely how you will feel at the end of your trip, and you'll already be planning the next trip for twice as long. It happens to all of us. That's also why I was thinking it might be better to stay in or close to the parks for ADRs. I was also thinking that since you have an extra credit to use, you could check into Hoop Dee Doo Musical Revue. It's 2TS credits for dinner and show. It would be perfect for your first night.
Good advice! We are flying and will be renting a double jogger beforehand. Maybe I will try for the Hoop Dee Doo for our first night?! It has an opening at 4pm... flight gets in at 1:15. Not sure if that will be enough time? Was hoping to take the kids to Downtown Disney for ice cream or floats after dinner and before bed. Maybe I shouldn't pack so much into a day....
Old 01-14-2013, 08:32 PM   #9
HawkeyeFan
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistGrl101 View Post
Are you renting a car? If not, I don't think it's worth it to go out of your way for Boma for dinner...
Flying and get into Orlando at 1:15... Boma was reserved for 5:45 that night. Maybe should switch to the Hoop-Dee-Doo at 4pm?! Darn decisions!
Old 01-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #10
julie4423
Mouseketeer

It's so hard with so many choices! It never gets easier. DTD also opens up Rainforest Cafe and Trex for the kids. How much you can pack in a day really depends on your kids. Having 2 older ones might mean one of you goes back early with the little ones so that the older kids can keep going. Depending on when your flight is, you can always do DTD on your last day.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:39 PM   #11
julie4423
Mouseketeer

Are you renting a car? It's really time consuming to travel to resorts other than those on the monorail without one for ADRs. Something else to think about.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:18 PM   #12
SimplyGoofy
"You are not Mickey Mouse... you are a rat!" "Rat, shmat. Besides, they're tourists. What do they know?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFan View Post

Overall, I think your choices are great! I love 50's Prime Time, the Tusker House breakfast is awesome, and Ohana is wonderful! I've not been to Kona, but I hear nothing but good things.

I agree with the other posters that getting to resort reservations without a car is tough--the MK resorts are a bit easier as you can use the monorail. I would hesitate on recommending HDD for your first night, as you never know how your travel plans will unwind. Would you happen to be from Iowa ("Hawkeye"Fan?). If so, you could end up with the same fun weather we had last February... including a plane that was several hours late. If you want to have an ADR on the first day, I would suggest one without a guarantee or pre-payments requirement (no signature dining, character meals, or dinner shows).

Downtown Disney on your first day is a GREAT idea! The World of Disney store and toy store are awesome. Dinner-wise, there's tons of good restaurants--but I would recommend the Marketplace Wolfgang Puck Express. It has great pizza and spaghetti that you could share, and wonderful cheesecake!

Epcot has TONS for kids to do--they'll love The Land, The Seas with Nemo, and Imagination. The Seas and Imagination also have great after-attraction areas (the water tanks and a fun play area). Mission Space also has a great play area--you can enter it through the MSp exit. The world showcase is also GREAT for kids--they can buy (or you can make!) passports that can be stamped, and they have KidCot areas in nearly every country. There's also so much fun stuff to see! It was my and my sister's favorite park when we were younger (and still is!). I would also recommend eating in Epcot--not because 'Ohana isn't awesome (it is), but because there are SO MANY good places to eat in Epcot!

You'll have such a great time, no matter what you choose!

Feb 2012 - A Savanna, A Wizard, and Oodles of Food - AKL/DxDP/WWoHP
SimplyGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:35 PM   #13
HawkeyeFan
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyGoofy View Post
Overall, I think your choices are great! I love 50's Prime Time, the Tusker House breakfast is awesome, and Ohana is wonderful! I've not been to Kona, but I hear nothing but good things.

I agree with the other posters that getting to resort reservations without a car is tough--the MK resorts are a bit easier as you can use the monorail. I would hesitate on recommending HDD for your first night, as you never know how your travel plans will unwind. Would you happen to be from Iowa ("Hawkeye"Fan?). If so, you could end up with the same fun weather we had last February... including a plane that was several hours late. If you want to have an ADR on the first day, I would suggest one without a guarantee or pre-payments requirement (no signature dining, character meals, or dinner shows).

Downtown Disney on your first day is a GREAT idea! The World of Disney store and toy store are awesome. Dinner-wise, there's tons of good restaurants--but I would recommend the Marketplace Wolfgang Puck Express. It has great pizza and spaghetti that you could share, and wonderful cheesecake!

Epcot has TONS for kids to do--they'll love The Land, The Seas with Nemo, and Imagination. The Seas and Imagination also have great after-attraction areas (the water tanks and a fun play area). Mission Space also has a great play area--you can enter it through the MSp exit. The world showcase is also GREAT for kids--they can buy (or you can make!) passports that can be stamped, and they have KidCot areas in nearly every country. There's also so much fun stuff to see! It was my and my sister's favorite park when we were younger (and still is!). I would also recommend eating in Epcot--not because 'Ohana isn't awesome (it is), but because there are SO MANY good places to eat in Epcot!

You'll have such a great time, no matter what you choose!
We are indeed, from Iowa. I feel extremely overwhelmed with information on the whole trip planning and getting around. We will NOT have a car, we plan on using the busses from AOA to get around. Is this not a good idea? I tried planning our meals according to the park location for the day.

What suggestions do you all have for the night of arrival and the day at Epcot?

Again, thanks!
Old 01-14-2013, 10:45 PM   #14
vcgirl925
Raisin cookies that look like chocolate chip cookies are the main reason i have trust issues

Boma Dinner: We really liked Boma dinner. We LOVE Boma breakfast, but we did enjoy dinner as well.

50's: The food is good. The atmosphere depends on who you get as a waittress. It really makes or breaks the experience. We'e had both great ones and one very very horribly terrible one.

Tusker house breakfast: LOVE it! Food is good and characters are good.

Kona Cafe: Probably one of my FAVORITE restaurants at disney. We've been for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and we've neer been disappointed.

Ohana: We don't care for Ohana. There is always a wait even if you have a ressie. The food was just ok. We've been for breakfast with characters and dinner. Probably my least favorite on your list. But others SWEAR by it.

Overall great choices and have a good trip!

Upcoming Trips:
Caribbean Beach Resort: June 25th 2014
Beach Club Resort Sept 13th 2014

Last Trip: Port Orleans Riverside Feb 9th 2013
vcgirl925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:50 PM   #15
HawkeyeFan
Earning My Ears

What do you guys think about us switching from Ohana to Tokyo when at Epcot? That is our last full day but back at home, our kids loved the hibachi style meal and entertainment. If not, please throw out some of your favorites! Such good replies so far!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: