Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #1
webzila
Earning My Ears

Questions about Cruise with 10 month old

I am sure this has already been asked before, I just can't find a thread with the answers to all the questions -- We will be taking a 6 night cruise out of Galveston in March. The baby will be 10.5 months old.

What exactly should we bring and what can we have Disney provide us?
I think we already called Disney to reserve a diaper genie, crib, and a high chair. Seems like they changed their website - before we could see the items we reserved and now we can't. Anyways, are there any other items besides these that they provide?

We are going to bring diapers, formula, and bottles.
Are we allowed to bring canned baby food?

Washing the baby on board - we were thinking about bringing an inflatable bath. Is this the best and easiest option or are there any other products that are smaller?

Excursions - we plan on doing something at both stops - there are several excursions with no age limit but they all say that there is a short ride to wherever the excursion starts from. Are car seats required for these or do we just hold the baby?

We plan on bringing an umbrella stroller with us. Nothing fancy, just a cheap one. Do these work pretty well for infants on board. Is there room for them?

Lots of questions
2010 - Carnival Conquest (Galveston)
2011 - Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas (Galveston)
2011 - Carnival Conquest (Galveston)
2012 - NCL Spirit (New Orleans)

Upcoming:
March 2013 - Disney Magic (Galveston) [...with a new 10 month old at the time of sailing..yay]
webzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #2
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

I would bring a stroller that your baby will be comfortable in. One that tilts back will help with naps when out or in the ports...or even at dinner time. Not sure which ports you are going to, but buses don't have carseats and most of the transportation in ports doesn't even have seatbelts.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #3
UmmGooD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by webzila View Post
I am sure this has already been asked before, I just can't find a thread with the answers to all the questions -- We will be taking a 6 night cruise out of Galveston in March. The baby will be 10.5 months old.

What exactly should we bring and what can we have Disney provide us?
I think we already called Disney to reserve a diaper genie, crib, and a high chair. Seems like they changed their website - before we could see the items we reserved and now we can't. Anyways, are there any other items besides these that they provide?

We are going to bring diapers, formula, and bottles.
Are we allowed to bring canned baby food?

Washing the baby on board - we were thinking about bringing an inflatable bath. Is this the best and easiest option or are there any other products that are smaller?

Excursions - we plan on doing something at both stops - there are several excursions with no age limit but they all say that there is a short ride to wherever the excursion starts from. Are car seats required for these or do we just hold the baby?

We plan on bringing an umbrella stroller with us. Nothing fancy, just a cheap one. Do these work pretty well for infants on board. Is there room for them?

Lots of questions
We brought our 3 month old on a MR cruise last March and I can explain what we brought and you can decide if that will work for you. If you have any questions you can always PM me because I don't check the boards much anymore.

Disney provided a pack and play/crib and diaper genie. We didn't ask for a high chair as our little one was still being breast fed. He did have acid reflux bad at that age and we had to have refrigerated medicine during the cruise and Disney provided an actual refrigerator for our room as the cooler supplied would not guarantee that it would be cold enough constantly. We carried the medicine in a collapsible ice chest that we rolled around until our rooms were ready. So if you need something to be kept cold like formula or medicine I would ask for a refrigerator.

For what we brought we brought diapers and wipes (lots and lots). We also brought the basic medicine for our children like Motrin, Tylenol, in case they had an issue while on the ship. I have heard that you can have your server puree food for your child if you would like that but I couldn't imagine a problem bringing on your own baby food.

For excursions we did not take the baby on one that required transportation so we didn't experience that. As far as I understand, even with Disney transfers, if the transportation is on a bus then you do not need a car seat. For me if it was a taxi or SUV I would want my baby in a car seat.

We brought an Inglesina Zippy stroller (high end umbrella folding type stroller) and it fit fine in the room and through the door. It was about as big as I would take on the ship though. There were times we wouldn't use it because getting on an elevator with a stroller on the ship was a major pain. The only time we would use it is if he was napping and we didn't want to stay in the room. We used a front pack to hold him when he was awake.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

As to the refrigerator -- the newer ships already have refrigerators in every stateroom; the classic ships only have a "cooling box" hence PP's need to request a fridge for medicine.

You can bring jarred baby food, but not homemade. No homemade food is allowed onboard, and nothing that is already opened.

OP - since using bottles, you can also request a bottle warmer to have in your stateroom. DCL also provides strollers - free with a refundable deposit - though you may prefer to use your own.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:29 PM   #5
vbgal
Earning My Ears

We cruised with our 11 month old last March to the MR.

He was already a steady walker and not a fan of the stroller, so we didn't bother brining one onboard. If you do bring a small umbrella stroller, it can easily fit in the room & hallways. Some folks brought big strollers and it was difficult in elevators and walking down the hallways.

We didn't bring an tub. We just bathed him in the bathroom. He likes showers so we just showered him. The tubs aren't huge.

We didn't do any off shore excursions. It was our second Disney MR cruise. We let the kids have the run of the pools.

The CM had a high chair at dinner and always brought him a drink and a small snack before dinner. They played with him and kept him pretty entertained.

He hated the nursery but we did see quite a few kids there.

We did let him play at the Oceaneers club (with his big sister) during the open house.

We lived on deck 4 on the lounge chairs during the day, watched movies by the pool in the morning, and sat on the verandah in the evening.
He had a lot of fun exporting and CM were so friendly and played with him.

I did have my Beco butterfly that I carried him in and that was so much easier than lugging a stroller.
vbgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:26 PM   #6
manateesmom
Mouseketeer

We cruised RCCL with DS, so this is more in general what you might bring on a cruise rather than specific to DCL.

I would suggest lots of diaper rash cream. For some reason, DS never usually got diaper rash, but got something bad on the ship. Lots of wipes and diapers. Likewise, DS had kind of borderline allergies/sensitivities, and seemed to have eczema flareups on vacation, so any lotion or cream for that. Obviously something like Tylenol or Advil as well.

Sunscreen, a sun hat, and one of those "rash guard" swim suits with at least half sleeves. The sun is intense, want to protect babies.

We just took DS into the shower with us to clean him up. I would not personally bother with a separate inflatable tub We did bring his shampoo/wash.

On RCCL, they had a "toy exchange" deal where you could "rent" a bag of toys from the nursery, and trade those out. Don't know if DCL has something similar, but we did also bring small toys and his favorite snacks. We were more concerned about packing for the flights than for the cruise, honestly, and made sure we had books, the ipad, snacks, a complete change of clothes (or 2), and a blankie for naps/nursing in a backpack that we carried on.

We also used an umbrella stroller, one that reclined (Cybex Topaz), and found it useful to contain DS while we'd sit and have a coffee. He did fall asleep in it, and allowed us to wander around.

manateesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:12 PM   #7
ElenaRN
Mouseketeer

We cruised with DD when she was 9 months old.

We had a Pack n play waiting for us in our stateroom, but we didn't request a diaper genie, though we know they have them if you want.
There was a high chair waiting for us at dinner and it was no issue at all getting one when we were at breakfast or lunch. I think you can also request a bottle warmer.

We brought lots of diapers, including swim diapers and wipes.
DD was nursing and eating solids. We brought some jars of baby food, but I think it was unnecessary. The staff in the dining rooms will pretty much puree whatever you ask them to and most of the time she just ate cut up pieces of what we were eating.

As far as the bath, I believe all the staterooms (except HA) all have a bathtub. So I don't think you really need to bring an inflatable. The tubs are smaller than a regular tub and you can always put a small towel on the bottom before you fill it to give some extra traction.

We didn't do any excursions, but I assume that much like Disney transportation, there are no car seats.

We brought a Combi stroller. An umbrella stroller would not have worked for us. DD needed to be reclined if she was going to nap in stroller. The Combi folds small and it fit into the closet.

We also brought our Ergo carrier, which we used ALOT. Much easier than always pushing the stroller around the ship and having to wait for the elevator.

Hope that helps!
Old 01-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
ccarter
Earning My Ears

Just got off the Wonder yesterday from a 4 day cruise to the Bahamas with my 9 month old granddaughter and she had a great trip.

DCL provided a pack and play...it was in great shape but we requested an extra blanket to fold up and line it with as the padding isn't very thick. With the blanket it was fine.

They provided a high chair at all meals.

Once we landed in FLL we made a trip to a Babies R Us and got bottles of premixed formula so we didn't need to worry about water to mix powder with and they don't have to be refrigerated prior to opening them. She also bought the new pouches of baby food that are available and a package of the take and toss baby spoons. Safer than glass and easier to pack, you just squeeze bites onto the spoon as you feed them. Miss Halle liked eating food from the regular menu better, though! Our servers were great about bringing her mac and cheese, veggies, whatever they had that she would eat.

Definitely bring tons of wipes and sunscreen. Ditto the earlier recommendation about the sun hat as well. We also had the sleeved-type swim shirts for her and they worked great.

I also highly recommend a smaller type of stroller. We intended to bring her full size one, but not enough room in the Yukon after we piled 6 adults, 2 car seats, and all the assorted luggage. We squeezed in her umbrella type (although it is a better quality one, not the cheapy type) and it was a life saver. The big stroller would have been unmanageable in the elevators and hallways, but having a stroller to put her in instead of having to lug her and hold her in lines was great.

Our shuttle company (MJS Transportation) provided a car seat for us to and from the Port of Miami but port excursions would not have had them.
ccarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #9
webzila
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the answers everyone.
2010 - Carnival Conquest (Galveston)
2011 - Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas (Galveston)
2011 - Carnival Conquest (Galveston)
2012 - NCL Spirit (New Orleans)

Upcoming:
March 2013 - Disney Magic (Galveston) [...with a new 10 month old at the time of sailing..yay]
webzila is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: