Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What kind of a housekeeping tipper are you?
I tip from the very beginning (hoping that will get things cleaner) 69 63.30%
I tip only if everything is cleaned from the day before. 9 8.26%
I only tip if I get a towel animal. 3 2.75%
I tip differently, so I will explain below. 28 25.69%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-14-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
BensWife
Mouseketeer

What kind of a housekeeping tipper are you?

My DH and I don't exactly agree on this. What kind of a tipper are you?

'77 DL - Holiday Inn
'93 DL - Disneyland Hotel
'98 WDW - Port Orleans French Q.
'10 DL - Grand Californian (June & Aug),
'12 DL - Candy Cane Inn
'13 WDW - Saratoga Springs (SWW)
July '14 DL - DLH (just DH and ME!)
Sept '14 DL - Renting Grand Californian Villas
Nov '14 - Embassy Suites South
BensWife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:02 AM   #2
tiger4me2
DIS Veteran

I tip every day the same amount maybe first day I tip not as much as during. If the service was really bad I tip less and if really bad I call and ask why certain things wasn't taken care of ex clean glasses & bath tub still dirty etc. I usually get the same housekeeper during the week & I know my room will be perfect and when she is not there when I leave I leave a larger tip before she leaves for her day off. At times the weekend staff can be lacking but that not always the case. They do perform a service & should be left something. And like the towel animals but don't expect them nor do I get upset if I don'y get them lol
tiger4me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

I don't tip housekeeping. That's just not something that is done where I come from

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #4
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

I usually just tip at the end on the stay.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #5
AJKMOM
DIS Veteran

I leave $1 per person, per night of stay.
AJKMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
Tony NY
DIS Veteran

I tip based on the service and how nice you are to me and my family and let me sleep inn mousekkeping will alway be happy...

CSR 9/9/12 BC 5/22-5/30 GF 7/11 6/10 Disney land 11/26 - 11/30 contemporay Contempory 09,08 Contempory resort 2007 POR2006 CB Off site 04/02/01
Tony NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #7
WDW Obsessed
Mouseketeer

I tip at end of stay.
WDW Obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:05 PM   #8
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

I tip every day. $5 for two of us for housekeeping and $2 for 2 of us for turndown service.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:09 PM   #9
Ladcassidy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW Obsessed
I tip at end of stay.
Me too. Too many years of business travel to change my practice now. Also tip separately any time someone helps with a special project, delivers something to the room, etc.
Ladcassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:14 PM   #10
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

We don't normally tip housekeeping since its considered a non-tipped position at WDW. If we request something special then we do tip.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #11
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Housekeeping at WDW is not considered to be a tippable position as far as Disney is concerned. Other areas are. Do I tip? Sometimes. If I'm staying in a regular room, not DVC, and if my room is maintained very well, then I will tip. But, that will be on a daily basis. When you tip at the end of the stay, you may be tipping someone that has been in your room just one or two times. I prefer to tip in the morning if the service the day before was exceptional. We are very tidy....I even straighten the beds each morning. I hang my used towels up so as to conserve water/energy. So, not much to be done in my room. BUT...I always come back to fresh towels!!! I do want my soap/shampoo restocked though. And maybe the bathroom floor wiped down.
When staying DVC, I seldom tip. They come in one time...take out the trash and replace the towels. So, no...I don't think they need to be tipped for that small service.

Overall, I tend to not tip. I refuse to be held hostage by housekeepers expecting tips. My room isn't in good condition?? Not only don't I tip, I talk to housekeeping management.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #12
Cinderumbrella
Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
Housekeeping at WDW is not considered to be a tippable position as far as Disney is concerned....

Overall, I tend to not tip. I refuse to be held hostage by housekeepers expecting tips. My room isn't in good condition?? Not only don't I tip, I talk to housekeeping management.

Well said!
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~
Grand Floridian August 1997

Cinderumbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #13
smitch425
DIS Veteran

I voted "I tip differently" because while we don't tip everyday, we DO tip on the days we choose to have houskeeping. We don't require them to clean everyday, so we put the do not disturb sign out and they leave towels at the door. We are not the type of people who need a freshly made bed everyday and we are not messy, so housekeeping isn't necessary every single day for us.

ETA: When we tip, we do it the morning of to ensure that the person getting the tip is the person doing the work. If we ever have an unsatisfactory result, I am sure we would make a call, but so far, our houskeepers at POP have been great.

Last edited by smitch425; 01-14-2013 at 12:38 PM.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #14
Caseheidi
DIS Veteran

We tip daily, $3-5, depending on day before. I always worry if we wait to tip til end of stay, the tip could go to someone who is cleaning our room for the first time.

DLR - Aug 1980, Aug 1985, May 1988, April 2002, Dec 2002, Dec 2004, Oct 2012

WDW - July/Aug 2001 (Honeymoon!), Oct 2004, Sept 2005, May 2006, Dec 2007, Dec 2008, Oct 2011
Caseheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #15
AlohaAnnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
Housekeeping at WDW is not considered to be a tippable position as far as Disney is concerned. Other areas are. Do I tip? Sometimes. If I'm staying in a regular room, not DVC, and if my room is maintained very well, then I will tip. But, that will be on a daily basis. When you tip at the end of the stay, you may be tipping someone that has been in your room just one or two times. I prefer to tip in the morning if the service the day before was exceptional. We are very tidy....I even straighten the beds each morning. I hang my used towels up so as to conserve water/energy. So, not much to be done in my room. BUT...I always come back to fresh towels!!! I do want my soap/shampoo restocked though. And maybe the bathroom floor wiped down.
When staying DVC, I seldom tip. They come in one time...take out the trash and replace the towels. So, no...I don't think they need to be tipped for that small service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
I voted "I tip differently" because while we don't tip everyday, we DO tip on the days we choose to have houskeeping. We don't require them to clean everyday, so we put the do not disturb sign out and they leave towels at the door. We are not the type of people who need a freshly made bed everyday and we are not messy, so housekeeping isn't necessary every single day for us.

ETA: When we tip, we do it the morning of to ensure that the person getting the tip is the person doing the work. If we ever have an unsatisfactory result, I am sure we would make a call, but so far, our houskeepers at POP have been great.
We have done all these things, we have never had a problem with housekeeping at Disney, thank goodness.

When we are in a non-DVC room we tip in the morning.

We mostly only stay DVC now and we do not tip anymore, DH says we pay our yearly dues and that is enough. I am glad housekeeping doesn't come everyday with DVC, We like our privacy. Honestly, with DVC, I wash our towels daily and I clean the bathroom when we get there and I wash the dishes because I know they are clean, we only need trash service during our stay. If they left Trash Bags we wouldn't need that DH takes the trash out too.

I don't mind cleaning up after the family on vacation, I just don't want to cook.

POR June 2006 POP May/June 2008 CBR Pirate Room & BC May/June 2009 Vero Beach & CSR & AKV Kidani May/June 2010 BLT Oct 2010 BWV March/April 2011 AKV Kidani Dec 2011 BCV/BLT June 2013
WL CL & AKV - Jambo Studio CL March/April2014 AKV Kidani June 2016

June 2013 Dining Report PTR Spring Break 2014
AlohaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: