Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
FergusBC
DIS Veteran

Driving from Galveston to IAH - what's it like?

We have a late afternoon flight booked for the day we return from our cruise. We were thinking of trying to book a one-way rental so that we can do some sightseeing during the day and then just drop off the rental car at the airport.

But we're also kind of small town folk (where driving is concerned!) and I started to wonder how stressful the drive would be to the airport. Is it busy freeway, lots of merging that kind of thing? Or would it be fairly do-able for someone who has never actually driven in big city traffic .

Our plan is to leave Galveston before 9:30am, drive to the space centre then get to the airport about 3:30pm...Barring any disasters, that should be doable, right?

I just don't want to end our lovely vacation with nervous breakdown in the middle of traffic
Disney Wonder, Western Caribbean, November 2013 Trip Report ("Even better than the first cruise!", says 12 year old daughter )
FergusBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
ultimate_ed
Mouseketeer

At that time of day, your drive shouldn't be terrible. As far as turns/exits go, getting from Galveston to IAH is fairly straightforward. You have to pay attention when you get to downtown to make the change from I-45 to Highway 59.

Other than that, you'll have to make the exit at NASA 1 to go to the Space Center (and then follow NASA 1 back out to get on I-45 again) - that interchange has dedicated flyover ramps now that make getting to the Space Center a lot easier than before.

From 59, you'll make the exit (which is well labeled) for IAH at Will Clayton Parkway. I've never rented a car at IAH since I live here, so I don't know exactly where the rental places are located for your drop off.

If you want to get to IAH for 3:30pm, I would plan to leave the Space Center by 2pm. Traffic along the way you would goes moves pretty well during the middle of the day, though an accident somewhere could create a big delay.
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
FergusBC
DIS Veteran

Thank you for the quick reply! That's awesome. I'll admit that words like 'interchange' and 'flyover ramps' make me nervous but I think we'll try making a reservation and if we chicken out, we chicken out LOL...We have a portable GPS so we can always bring that and listen to the nice lady... 'recalculating...recalculating...'

Disney Wonder, Western Caribbean, November 2013 Trip Report ("Even better than the first cruise!", says 12 year old daughter )
Old 01-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #4
fatfish
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate_ed View Post
At that time of day, your drive shouldn't be terrible. As far as turns/exits go, getting from Galveston to IAH is fairly straightforward. You have to pay attention when you get to downtown to make the change from I-45 to Highway 59.
Actually, I-45 will take you to IAH as well. No sense in making the trip more complicated. Take I-45 North to the Bush Intercontinental Airport exit. It is right past the Beltway 8 exit. You will actually be on Beltway 8/Sam Houston Parkway, but there is (or at least there was the last time I was there) and exit that specifically indicates its for the airport.

Give yourself plenty of time. Its a good hour to hour, on a good day, from NASA to IAH. IAH is huge, and the rental car return could be on either side of the airport, depending on which rental car company you use. Also, Houston traffic is unpredictable. You didn't say what day you were travelling, but at 2 pm traffic should not be too bad. If its raining, all bets are off. People in Houston cannot drive in the rain. I don't know why.

You will be on a major highway. At some places it is 5-6 lanes in each direction, although most of the time it will be 3-4. There are overpasses, interchanges and lanes end in the weirdest places. Be especially alert through downtown. Lanes end or peel off to another freeway regularly. Get in a middle lane and stay there. And we drive fast in Houston. Expect at least one bozo to try to run you off the road if you are not going at least 70. You do not have to drive that fast, but most people around you will be. And there are large trucks on the roads at most times of day. I'm not trying to scare you. I just want you to be prepared.

We used to have signs along the freeways here that said "Drive Friendly". I think that says it all.

Good luck!
March 2009 at SSR Aug 2009 land/sea adventure SSR / DCL

Spring Break 2010 & 2011 at Animal Kingdom Christmas 2011 on the DCL!
2013 birthday cruise on the Disney Magic!

Me dd
fatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
FergusBC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatfish View Post
Give yourself plenty of time. Its a good hour to hour, on a good day, from NASA to IAH. IAH is huge, and the rental car return could be on either side of the airport, depending on which rental car company you use. Also, Houston traffic is unpredictable. You didn't say what day you were travelling, but at 2 pm traffic should not be too bad. If its raining, all bets are off. People in Houston cannot drive in the rain. I don't know why.
LOL...rain we can do. We get lots of that! This would be a Saturday in November so am hoping it would be (relatively) quiet.

Quote:
And we drive fast in Houston. Expect at least one bozo to try to run you off the road if you are not going at least 70.
At first I was thinking 'hey, that's not so fast'...then remembered you're talking MPH! Hmm...112 km/h...okay, speedy but we do that through the mountains so shouldn't be too bad...

Quote:
I'm not trying to scare you. I just want you to be prepared.
Nope, that's exactly what I want! I much prefer to hear the worst so then when the time comes I'll be all 'well, that wasn't so bad!'...and it would be DH driving, not me, unless backseat driving counts .

Thank you for being so detailed
Old 01-15-2013, 04:26 PM   #6
wdrl
DIS Veteran

As the other posters have stated, you can take I-45 all the way from Galveston to IAH, or take I-45 to US 59. Here is a link to Houston's Real -Time Traffic Map, which also has links to traffic cams and other interesting traffic items. Galveston is off the map to the lower right and IAH is labeled in the upper center part of the map.

Its about 72 miles (116 KM) from the Port of Galveston to IAH without making the side trip to the Space Center. In good traffic, it will take 75 minutes for the drive. In normal traffic, a bit longer
Old 01-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #7
Kencad MOM
Mouseketeer

Are there any tollways from IAH to Galveston? If so how much are they?

ME 35DH 39DD 12DS8

Wonder 3/2010, Wonder 2/2012, Magic 2/2013, Magic 2/2014
Kencad MOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:31 PM   #8
wdrl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kencad MOM View Post
Are there any tollways from IAH to Galveston? If so how much are they?
No, there are no toll roads that you have to take to get from/to IAH-Galveston. However, the Hardy Toll Road runs almost parallel to I-45 between Beltway 8 and the 610-loop. It can be used to get to and from IAH, but it really is not necessary to use it instead of I-45 or Hwy 59 (aka the East Tex freeway). Here is a map of Houston's toll road system: https://www.hctra.org/tollroads_map/.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: