Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #1
nwbearcat
Earning My Ears

Thoughts? 1 night hyatt MCO 6 nights Poly

Long story short. We want to do an 8 day trip. My ceiling to stay at the poly with dining and hoppers for the trip is 5k plus airfare. Right now it is 5500 plus airfare. We fly from the midwest so we lose half the day. First flight out at 8 doesn't arrive into mco till 12:15. Probably don't get to hotel till 2ish at best.
I have three ideas....

Fly into mco and stay at Hyatt. Taking away 1 night at poly + food +Tix drops price over 700 dollars down to 4800. Get up first thing in the morning and take either magic express or rent a car (we will at some point anyway to go to beach for a day, but usually at car care center) I hear deals can be had on hyatt via priceline.

Go to moderate hotel and hang out for a night... We can get one of the mod's for 180 dollars vs. 431 on a friday at the Poly... Could just stay there, swim and enjoy resort or we could opt to get an extra day of hoppers if we chose, then wake up next am take a cab/rent car and go to the poly early. That would put us right about 5k mark.

Stay at downtown disney. Do same as above. Probably more expensive or less convienient than other two options.

Lastly bite bullet and pay extra $700 for poly.... My wife thinks it is waaay too much work to have to transfer hotels. She sees it as being stressful and isn't in favor. She suggested we just go for 7 days 6 nights. I don't like that idea because one of our days is shot just getting to the world!

I have tried to call a couple times to see if cm's would help a guy out a bit for a few hundred dollars, (Its worked in the past, but to this point I haven't had any luck)

Any help thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Anyone tried the above mentioned? Is it a pain? Is it worth the savings? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by nwbearcat; 01-15-2013 at 11:39 AM. Reason: context error
nwbearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
bigbabyblues
DIS Veteran

I don't know what your dates are, but have you looked to see if the spring discount applies?
bigbabyblues is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
nwbearcat
Earning My Ears

That is with the spring discount... Poly is only a 20%. Some of the others are higher. My daughters 8 and 6 are huge magic kingdom people or I would go over to the yacht/beach/boardwalk area because they are cheaper...

We got a very good deal on the poly last year and it spoiled everyone!!! it was soooooo easy to move around the world. That monorail is awesome.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:44 PM   #4
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

If your plane arrives at 12:15, I don't think I'd stay at the Hyatt in the airport. What would you do all afternoon?

I'd choose the moderate or value resort for ease in moving your stuff the next day and just hang at the resort that afternoon and a meal at DTD that night. Move to Poly the next morning. Save $700.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #5
nwbearcat
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM View Post
If your plane arrives at 12:15, I don't think I'd stay at the Hyatt in the airport. What would you do all afternoon?

I'd choose the moderate or value resort for ease in moving your stuff the next day and just hang at the resort that afternoon and a meal at DTD that night. Move to Poly the next morning. Save $700.
If we end up going to the Hyatt we would probably take a later flight... I think the last one arrives at MCO around 7pm. But I do get your point... My thought would be go get gatorade and other groceries with a rental car so I don't have to bring them down with us.

I am a little leery of the split stay thing, just out of pure ignorance... I don't know how feasible it is to get from one resort to another with all our stuff and still make it to the opening of a park. With a rental car at the Hyatt I know I can get the family up in the morning, go to the poly, and leave our bags in our car until our room is ready. In the meantime I can check in and hit the parks. Maybe it is that easy with a room transfer if the poly will hold our bags, I am not sure...

Also thought about just going to the poly and doing out of pocket dining instead of plus. But my daughters 8 & 6 still like the character meals like crt, crystal palace, ohana, chef mickey, be our guest, etc.... My wife and I don't usually eat lunch but with all those character meals it will end up being a wash I am afraid.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #6
jennybdis
Mouseketeer

We are getting in around the same time as you and have opted to do POR for the first night--no tickets, no dining. Bright and early, we'll be moving over to the Beach Club to unpack (if we're able to get in our room early), pick up our tickets and begin the dining plan.

I'm doing mostly as insurance--you just never know what's going to happen with flights, and I'd kick myself if I paid for a deluxe place to relax and sleep and our flight was massively delayed and we arrived at 3 in the morning.

I'd rather do this than the Hyatt. The price difference isn't that huge, and I'll be on Disney property, able to go do to Downtown Disney, eat at any non-park Disney restaurant, the kids will be able to swim, etc.
jennybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:03 PM   #7
lindsroc
DIS Veteran

We are flying in late on a friday so the kids dont miss school, staying at the hyatt in the airport and then taking magic express to the boardwalk on saturday. i figure at least that way we will get a good night sleep and be ready to go 1st thing sat morning.

1st Disney trip Oct 29 2007 - Saratoga Springs ... Trip #2, April/May 2009 - Coronado Springs Resort
Trip #3, May 2010 - Offsite ... Trip #4, May 2011 -Polynesian
Trip #5, October 2013 - Boardwalk Inn
lindsroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:07 PM   #8
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

If you're taking the early flight, you're getting in BEFORE resort checkin time. There's no way I would do a split stay with a flight like that. (and I'm a fan of split stays) I would just go to the Poly. You are getting the benefits of the resort and you're getting there closer to checkin time.

Now if you WANT to take a later flight, that's different. Then relax at home, take a later flight, get in late, and stay at the Hyatt. It's a fun place to stay. But I don't do that unless I'm getting in after 10pm (or at the end of the stay, if I'm leaving mega-early).

In your case, with a shorter flight (you say you lose half the day, I disagree considering we're flying in from WA...and there's another thread about someone flying in from Alaska if you want to think of THAT flight to compare!), I'd catch that 8am flight, get in at noon, and enjoy hours and hours left in the day in the parks or at the resort. Remember, the time change works in your favor that first evening, because you'll be more awake than some others.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:21 PM   #9
FantasiaMagic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM View Post

I like this idea. I def don't think you should pay $700 after losing 1/2 day. Maybe try a mod/value you have been interested in trying but always want to go to the POLY instead...

Good Luck with everything and have a great trip to the world!

-FantasiaMagic

AKV Kidani August 2012 TR: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2975354
FantasiaMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:00 AM   #10
graceandhayes
Mouseketeer

My advice would be to go straight to the Poly when you arrive at MCO. I would not buy park tickets or dining plan for that day. You can either spend that afternoon at the Poly and eat out of pocket at Capt Cooks or Kona Cafe, or after check-in head to DTD and spend the evening there. You will wake up your first day in your resort room, refreshed and ready to hit the parks.

We drive to WDW and usually arrive early afternoon. Last year we stayed our first night at the Wyndham Lake Buena Vista across from DTD, after spending the evening at DTD. We woke up the next morning and drove to the Poly, checked in, gave them our luggage, had breakfast at Kona, and headed to MK. It did save us some money - the Wyndham was only about $100 for the night - but it was not worth it. Checking out of the Wyndham, driving to the Poly, checking into the Poly, etc. meant we got to the MK late our first day. From now on we have decided no hotel/resort hopping. We will just pay extra for the first night at the Poly, but will not get park tickets or dining plan for that day. We will just visit DTD or enjoy the Poly on arrival day.
graceandhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:46 PM   #11
nwbearcat
Earning My Ears

I didn't realize you could get one day at poly without getting the dining plan. I knew you could do it without park tickets but didn't realize you could do a day out of pocket. That might be the best solution if that is the case!
Old 01-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #12
nwbearcat
Earning My Ears

I didn't realize you could get one day at poly without getting the dining plan. I knew you could do it without park tickets but didn't realize you could do a day out of pocket. That might be the best solution if that is the case!
Old 01-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #13
graceandhayes
Mouseketeer

Yes, you can even book a room only reservation at any WDW resort without buying park tickets or the dining plan. I have been told by CMs some adults spend their entire vacation at a resort, and never visit a park. Our next trip we plan to drive to WDW on Saturday and arrive in the early afternoon. We will check into the Poly and spend the day at the resort or DTD, and pay for meals out of pocket. We will spend Sun - Thurs at the parks, and drive home on Friday. So we purchased 6 nights at the Poly, and 5 days Magic Your Way Plus Dining.
graceandhayes is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: