Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
sunnydays28
Mouseketeer

POR vs. Poly

I thought I had it all figured out until I saw pics of how close Poly is to MK.

Considerations:
~it is only a $300 difference to us from our current plans
~we plan on spending the equivalent of 2 full days at MK (will have park hoppers)
~I have never stayed on a monorail
~we will not be back for 4-5 years
~we are switching mid-stay from AoA LK suite so this would be mostly for the adult theming and relaxation
~but I do want my turning-5-while-there girl to love the second half of the stay too
~she is going to have an evening at Neverland, convenient to get her there
~would love to watch the fireworks from the beach, be able to see the castle at night/from our resort

But:
~We are going to the beach for 3 days after leaving Disney
~staying at POR means we can use the amenities at FQ too, so we are getting to experience 2 resorts for 1

Thoughts?
sunnydays28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
Yellosno
DIS Veteran

Sounds to me like there are more pros for Poly than Por, but $300 is a pretty big amount of money. Depending on if it is reasonable for you to spend the extra 300 I would go for Poly but Por would still be great if you couldnt afford it.
August 2005 Beach Club & Polynesian
January 2008 Wilderness Lodge
August 2011: Port Orleans French Quarter
July 2012: Saratoga Springs & Pop Century
August 2013: Boardwalk & Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yellosno is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-12-2013, 07:35 PM   #3
Reagan&Co.
DIS Veteran

I haven't stayed at either, but I was shocked that the price difference might only be $300 more for the Poly! We have POR ressies but I think we're dropping the dining plan ( the kids aren't gonna eat $55 worth of food each day). I could spring $300 more for Deluxe!!!

Thanks for the thought.......!!! I may have to call
October 2009 POP Free Dining!!!
June 2010 Skipped Disney for Harry Potter
May 2013 POR
May 2014 Disney Dream
Reagan&Co. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:37 PM   #4
Ro Z
DIS Veteran

IMO and I love POR was just there in Nov. and Dec! But POLY is great! If the $$ is not an issue I would choose it in a heartbeat!
Ro Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
Amy&Dan
Huge, huge thongs of them
I think Disney's main purpose in life is to drive us all crazy!
Feelings are seldom about logic

I am a major POR fan. However, for a short stay and only $300 difference I would go with the Poly in your situation.

We stayed at the Poly once for a few nights before a longer stay at OKW. While I haven't been able to justify the expense of going back, I have never regretted staying there and getting to experience all it has to offer.

Your dd, especially at her age will be as enthralled with Part II of the trip as she is with the first part!

I love all levels of Disney resorts and once we went from Boardwalk to All Star Music and it was still fun!

Amy&Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #6
mickey2minnie1
DIS Veteran

My DD loved the Poly at 5. she loved playing in the sand while the fireworks went off. She loved Captain Cooks, walking around the GCH, swimming in the pool and the monorail. She is 10 now and still loves it.

I would do it for time and convenience if for nothing else. It is a beautifully relaxing resort. We love it!!
June 2010 3 nights at the Poly w/ DH
Oct/Nov 2009 8 nights at the Poly GVCL
Oct/Nov 2007 9 nights at the Poly

Me DH DS 16 DS 13 DD 11 Sebastian 5
mickey2minnie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:31 PM   #7
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

For $300 I have to say POLY! POLY! POLY!!!!
Old 01-12-2013, 09:41 PM   #8
disneydreamin247
DIS Veteran

Hands down Poly. Your DD will love the pool, the monorail and boat to MK, and the gorgeous GCH. My son who is now 8 adores the Poly, as does my 1 year old DD.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:10 PM   #9
Singinglizzie
DIS Veteran

I have stayed and both, and if it is only a $300 dollar dif and you don't mind spending the $$, I would choose the Poly. The convenience of the monorail is so worth it, and as you mention you won't go again for awhile. Besides the options for dinning at the Poly, you can easily get to the Grand Floridian and Contemporary for additional shopping and meals. The Poly is also very relaxing after a day at the parks. I did like POR very much and staying there is a good value, but again, having the monorail is so nice. Honestly, you won't go wrong with either choice, but the Poly has the edge!
Old 01-13-2013, 12:15 AM   #10
polyfor4
Mouseketeer

For only a $300 difference I would run to the Poly! We're debating Poly vs POR for our May trip but the price difference is tremendous- if it weren't for money we would be at the Poly no questions asked. The amenities are out of this world, in our minds a park day is just as good as a day at the Polynesian. The MK views, fantastic beach, fun pool, great food are all reasons to love the Poly but then you also feel like you're staying at true Disney original. POR is a great, relaxing, beautiful hotel but there is no way its amenities even combined with POFQ compare to the Poly. I promise it will be the best $300 you ever spent! Also you are going to love AoA- we stayed in October and were blown away by how incredible all of the theming is and the suites are a perfect size. It sounds like you have a great trip ahead of you

May 2014 BWI/ Poly CL
May 2013 AoA/ Poly CL Nov 2013 Pop
Sept 2012 AoA May 2012 Pop/ Poly Feb 2012 POR
May 2011 Pop/ Poly April 2011 CSR
Dec 2010 POR May 2010 POR
Dec 2009 CBR May 2009 Poly March 2009 POR

polyfor4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:05 AM   #11
jemmouse
DIS Veteran

First thing if you don't mind me asking, the difference was only $300.00? HOW??? But besides the point that is AWESOME, price difference

I have stayed at both Poly and FQ, sister resort to POR...with that being said, here goes...

POLY, the monorail is to say the least, AWESOME! Pool if you are going at a busy time can get very cramped, not as large as POR...Busses, well not in my opinion the best, just because of wait times...Food court, I honestly find better at POR...Ambience, I don't know sure Poly might be better but I honestly never felt I was missing out at POR.

I would say for $300.00 difference, go to Poly. I don't think you will ever see that low of a difference again, in my opinion....

Have a FUNtastic vacation
Old 01-13-2013, 02:42 AM   #12
Cindie-rella
...Laughter is timeless. Imagination has no age. And dreams are forever.

I'm also shocked at the low price difference. How many days are you staying ? These 2 resorts were my dilemma too. We love (esp DH) POR. Never tried the POLY before. I had originally booked royal room at POR then changed the ressie to the POLY. The price difference for us was almost triple that of POR ! It was something like approx. $350-$400/nite difference... Make sure you have the price you were quoted right and if it is only $300 more...you had better run to the phone and book the POLY !!!!
P.S. Or did you mean $300 per nite?

2000 ASMo 2005 POR 2006 AKL 2007 POR 2008 AKL/OKW 2013 POLY
Cindie-rella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:08 AM   #13
nkereina
Wendy Darling

I've stayed at and love both, but for only $300 definitely do Poly!!

Also, as far as sharing with POFQ, we found the walk between POR and POFQ to be long enough where we only did it once on our trip. It's about a 10-15 minute walk along the path in the direct sunlight so it was hot. We didn't like their pool as much as POR's and since they have no quiet pools, there was a good amount of people there. We were also there for breakfast which was packed, and we had to eat in the lounge. Didn't feel the need to go back.
nkereina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:46 AM   #14
rutgers1
DIS Veteran

Love both hotels. I would go with the Poly, but if there are better things you can do with that $300, I am sure you will not be disappointed with POR.

We are part of the Disney Vacation Club, and one of my very few regrets is that we can no longer stay at those hotels. Well, we can, but the trade-in deal is not very good.
rutgers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #15
xipotec
Grinning Ghosts

You must stay at a monorail resort at least once, just be careful as you may never go back!!!

I also vote the Poly. Best thing in the world not to have to use buses...
Before that too many to list
!

SOME IMAGINATION, HUH??? - Mickey Mouse
xipotec is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: