Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
jensen
DIS Veteran
 
jensen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upper Midwest
Posts: 1,279

Creeping on Kids Facebook

My child doesn't have Facebook, but many of his classmates do. So, I was creeping around on their pages (public settings) to see what these kids are using it for... to decide whether I should let him open a page.

My question: Is that weird? To be creeping on those pages for that reason?

I saw something on one of the pages that bothered me and that I want to share with another parent. But, I don't want others to think I'm a freak for creeping on kids pages.
__________________
Me (41) DH (41) DS (14) DD(10)
Disneyland: March 1985 l June 1990 l January 2010
Walt Disney World: March 1998 CSR l Jan 2005 Pop Century 80's l Jan 2006 Pop Century 90's l Jan 2007 Pop Century 50's
Jan 2009 All Star Music Jazz Family Suite l Jan 2012 All Star Music Country Fair l Jan 2014 All Star Movies Mighty Ducks
jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
Squirlz
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,664

I think the fact that you're describing it as "creeping" and not just reading answers your question.
Squirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!
 
JennaDeeDooDah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirlz View Post
I think the fact that you're describing it as "creeping" and not just reading answers your question.
__________________
JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
ceemys
DIS Veteran
 
ceemys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,415

My daughter has FB. I am her "friend" as well as other family members. I am "friends" with some of her friends, but I constantly review other's pages to see what they write. If I deem it inappropriate it...I make her de-friend them. I can't control what they write, but I can control what comes up on her page. They have requested to be friends again, but I told her to tell them that if I see stuff I don't like....then they will be defriended again. They have one extra chance then all other friend requests will be denied.
__________________
DF Joe cool Mama (me) Christine DD (15y/o) DD (6y/o)



ceemys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #5
jensen
DIS Veteran
 
jensen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upper Midwest
Posts: 1,279

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirlz View Post
I think the fact that you're describing it as "creeping" and not just reading answers your question.
Facebook Creeping: An act in which one looks at a friend's/stranger's facebook profile, pictures, and recent activity.

If you don't even know the lingo...
__________________
Me (41) DH (41) DS (14) DD(10)
Disneyland: March 1985 l June 1990 l January 2010
Walt Disney World: March 1998 CSR l Jan 2005 Pop Century 80's l Jan 2006 Pop Century 90's l Jan 2007 Pop Century 50's
Jan 2009 All Star Music Jazz Family Suite l Jan 2012 All Star Music Country Fair l Jan 2014 All Star Movies Mighty Ducks
jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:09 AM   #6
jen1977
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 268

Our boys are always trying to convince us to let them have a fb, but they are 10 and 12, so not old enough by fb rules. They have tons of friends who have accounts, and I do look at them on occasion. The boys know when they are 13 they can have an account. I see no problem looking at the pages. I am shocked at how open many of their pages are, especially for children.
jen1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #7
gwynne
DIS Veteran
 
gwynne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,147

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensen View Post
Facebook Creeping: An act in which one looks at a friend's/stranger's facebook profile, pictures, and recent activity.

If you don't even know the lingo...
Some might like the term creeping and think it's perfectly fine.

It's possible others might choose another term. For them using the word "creeping" when you are knowingly reading childrens' pages has a somewhat negative connotation. (It kind of sounds creepy...)
__________________
Ginny Trip planning is half the fun!

TY Kook!
gwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
Almost anything can be fixed with pasta
Do my DH's "Shorty Shorts" count?
I go in search of code!
 
mamacatnv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Central Texas Y'all by way of N. Nevada
Posts: 9,667

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensen View Post
My child doesn't have Facebook, but many of his classmates do. So, I was creeping around on their pages (public settings) to see what these kids are using it for... to decide whether I should let him open a page.

My question: Is that weird? To be creeping on those pages for that reason?

I saw something on one of the pages that bothered me and that I want to share with another parent. But, I don't want others to think I'm a freak for creeping on kids pages.
The rule people, the rule

I Facebook stalk all the time however, I would not be calling another parent or anyone for that matter over a FB posting.
__________________
MamaCatNV
DH55 Me47DS 24 DD15
Baxter & Simon Gryffindor The Great Pyreneese
POFQ-1/1-1/9/07, ASMu-Dec 05/Jan 06 ASSp-Dec 99/Jan 00 Turn of the Century
Thanks AidensMom
mamacatnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #9
gemini2727
Mouseketeer
 
gemini2727's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 259

I go on my daughter's page frequently. I think it's my responsibility to know what she is seeing when she is on FB. It's a real eye-opener as to what kids are up to, and I have blocked certain kids' posts from showing on her wall because they are so inappropriate/vulgar. I am open with her about this, and she's fine with it. My kids have no expectation of privacy on any elecrtonic device we own and I know all of their passwords as well. I have to know what is going on...
__________________
Me , DH , DD :: (15), DD (13), DS (10)

gemini2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:45 AM   #10
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund
 
NHdisneylover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Heidelberg, Germany (formally from New Hampshire)
Posts: 13,811

My 14 year old son logged into his facebook account from the Facebook ap on my iPAD over 6 months ago--and never logged off.

I have made a point of gong n through the internet and not the ap so can keep him logged on and all the message his friends post to him or in the class page pop right up on my screen!

He knows I read them (saved backside when he forgot about a class gift exchange and i saw someone post a reminder the night before and asked if he needed to go shopping) and does not care enough to bother to log back out an in when he uses the iPAD
__________________
Hadley

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:54 AM   #11
poohfriend77
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,467

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini2727 View Post
I go on my daughter's page frequently. I think it's my responsibility to know what she is seeing when she is on FB. It's a real eye-opener as to what kids are up to, and I have blocked certain kids' posts from showing on her wall because they are so inappropriate/vulgar. I am open with her about this, and she's fine with it. My kids have no expectation of privacy on any elecrtonic device we own and I know all of their passwords as well. I have to know what is going on...
My oldest is 10, so I'm not quite there yet, but this is how I plan to handle it when the time comes. I do think I'd check out her friends' pages, and use it as a starting point for discussions with my DD. But I don't think I'd tell another parent unless it was something very disturbing/dangerous. I've kind of learned my lesson there.

My cousin's DD15 was making all kinds of posts about how she was starting birth control pills. It just seemed soooo inappropriate. Plus, there were a lot of posts about her boyfriend, their breakup, and how her life is worthless and she wanted to die. I mentioned to my mom how disturbing it all was, and she said something about it to my aunt (the girl's grandmother-- the girl, mom, and grandmother all live together). Grandma was upset and told the mom to check her page. The mom just yelled at my mom to mind her own business, and that the girl did nothing wrong. She was on BC to regulate heavy periods, not because she "needs" it yet. But come on! Is it appropriate to "advertise" that fact to the world when you are 15??? So it's quite possible the other parents know about it and just don't find it as offensive as you do.
poohfriend77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #12
lyncecelia
DIS Veteran
 
lyncecelia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 743

My step kids all have FB accounts...the younger 3 just use it for the dumb games, the oldest to interact with friends. I have it set up that EVERY TIME they post something on FB, I get a notification so that I can see it instantly. It's called "Close Friends". No one is added to their friend list without one of us 4 parents knowing (we parents are all friends and work together with them). Also, all 4 of us parents are allowed to log into their accounts at any time. The rule is that as your parent, I have every right to stalk you until you are 18, because legally you are our responsibility until then . At the same time, they know we respect their privacy, and won't look into their profile unless we felt we needed to (which is extremely rare). We use FB as a way to teach internet safety (don't post anything you wouldn't want mom/dad/step-mom/step-dad/etc. to see!) and how to not give away private information. We also use it to teach internet etiquette. (Have a problem with someone? Talk to them privately and respectfully, not on their wall and with no name-calling or threats).
__________________

Me (25)DF (33) *DF's Kids*:DSS12DSD11DSD10 DSS6
Met on the DIS, and going strong
Our Planning Journal

May 10th 2010-First date at Kona...October 2011-first trip together...April 21st-29th 2012-first trip with the kids...October 3rd-6th 2012-adults only trip
lyncecelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #13
gemini2727
Mouseketeer
 
gemini2727's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 259

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohfriend77 View Post
My oldest is 10, so I'm not quite there yet, but this is how I plan to handle it when the time comes. I do think I'd check out her friends' pages, and use it as a starting point for discussions with my DD. But I don't think I'd tell another parent unless it was something very disturbing/dangerous. I've kind of learned my lesson there.

My cousin's DD15 was making all kinds of posts about how she was starting birth control pills. It just seemed soooo inappropriate. Plus, there were a lot of posts about her boyfriend, their breakup, and how her life is worthless and she wanted to die. I mentioned to my mom how disturbing it all was, and she said something about it to my aunt (the girl's grandmother-- the girl, mom, and grandmother all live together). Grandma was upset and told the mom to check her page. The mom just yelled at my mom to mind her own business, and that the girl did nothing wrong. She was on BC to regulate heavy periods, not because she "needs" it yet. But come on! Is it appropriate to "advertise" that fact to the world when you are 15??? So it's quite possible the other parents know about it and just don't find it as offensive as you do.
Even though it wasn't received very well, I think you did the right thing and your intentions were good. You're right though, what I think is obviously inappropriate, some parents are ok with, unless of course they just have no idea what their kids are posting. This is more than likely, I'm afraid. I can't believe any parents would be ok with some of the things I see!
__________________
Me , DH , DD :: (15), DD (13), DS (10)

gemini2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #14
Lynne M
 
Lynne M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 8,901
DISboards Moderator

The entire point of a having a FB account is so others can see what you post.

If your page is set to 'public', the assumption is that you want everyone and anyone to see what you post.

There's nothing wrong with looking at anyone's public page - they want it to be seen.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:12 PM   #15
Bnb0627
Mouseketeer
 
Bnb0627's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 179

You should definitely be checking out their Facebook pages!!!!

My daughters are 8 and 9 and have Facebook because we all used to play those annoying games. I no longer play but my daughters still do. They really do not post anything on there unless they take funny pictures or videos. But they know all of our rules. One being that they must show us before they post. Their friends are our family members and a few neighbors.

One neighbor I am starting to question whether or not I should remove her as our friend. She just turned 9 and for the last three years has been friends with my daughters. Over the past couple of months my daughters have stopped wanting to play with her because of her behavior. She lies a lot. She has text me pretending to be her mom on more than one occasion and has pretended to be one of DD's other friends. She says they were just pranks. Now I'm noticing fb posts like "I'm so mad I could punch something" and "why do only ugly boys like me" she belongs to a lot of teenage pages and also messages ME daily. In the last two weeks I have 10 messages that say Hi. I don't respond. She's obviously begging for attention.

I mentioned something to her mother and she laughed and said "that kid is crazy isn't she". The mother is not the best role model and is the town gossip and speaks openly about everybody's business in front of her kid.

My girls go on FB about once a week. I'm good with that. They don't need to move any faster than that lol. I'm just annoyed by this kid and don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

When my kids decide to add more friends I will definitely be checking them out.
Bnb0627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.