Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 05:42 PM   #16
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

There is the people to learn from, there are the ports going to, there are the younger kids clubs, detective game on the new ships(logic), manners for formal night. Really the list can go on even if you think about the logistics of getting there and packing and souviners. You can turn all that into lessons.

As a homeschooling family, all our vacations turn into some kind of informal learning. I can't seem to help it But all my kids(DH, DD, and DS) really enjoy the trips.

Have fun!!!

Chrissy
chris31997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:30 PM   #17
DahliaRW
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonPie View Post
If there was a "LIKE" button I would click it. The CMs are a wealth of information from all over the globe. Perhaps taking a world map and marking places that the CMs you encounter are from would be interesting. Our favorite was Natalia from Italy.
Oooh, that would be fascinating. My middle child is totally enthralled with foreign countries right now (though who knows in a year). It would be fun just to make a list and map them when we get home too!
Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise January 18-25, 2014
Walt Disney World (Port Orleans Riverside) January 25-29, 2014 (Epcot, AK, MK, Epcot, HS)

DahliaRW is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2013, 06:35 PM   #18
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Great thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyGirl View Post

But it sure would be nice if Disney CMs had a constellation party on a sea day for that cruise for any of you DCL folks lurking these threads!
How cool would that be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmmGooD View Post
One thing I really love our kids to understand is the culture of the people they will be interacting with on the ship. Spend time getting to know your stateroom hosts, where they are from, what languages they speak, the differences between their home countries and the places you are visiting (or the US for that matter). I think there is lots to learn just from the vast people and the cultures that are present on any cruise ship.

Love!

We were going to go to the pirate museum in Nassau anyway...maybe we should do some last-minute studying about the pirates that lived there.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:42 PM   #19
meajuly5
DIS Veteran

Simple idea--world map. Have your child locate the country where each cm they encounter is from. You could chart the distance they each traveled etc later
meajuly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:55 PM   #20
GusGus77
DIS Veteran

Great idea! We are a new homeschooling family (dd is between pre-K/K right now) and I love the map idea for our cruise next November!
GusGus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #21
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Love this thread!
We spent a lot of time looking up! Not only did we study the stars but we learnt about clouds. There's some great handy printout guides on pinterest.

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

fredgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:07 PM   #22
usfourandnomore
Krazy Kruisers

Love this thread!! We home school as well. We have traveled with DCL twice. I love the world map and stars ideas. How wonderful if the Kid's Clubs would implement some of these ideas in to their programs!! The learning possibilities while traveling with your kiddos whether you home school or not are endless....AND the best part is most of the time they are learning and don't even realize it. That is my favorite kind of learning!!

usfourandnomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:08 AM   #23
Tamiele
Earning My Ears

We are homeschoolers too. One thing my son enjoyed (12 years old) was the Captain's Discussion. They had the captain do a Q & A in one of the lounges. He loved it!
Tamiele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:11 AM   #24
elmo2200
cruisey moms choose DIS!!

Kimbo71- We homeschool too! DS is an 8th grader and DD was homeschooled until the 11th grade (she is a senior this year). The kids help do research for the trip and then there is unstructured learning on the trip. We love checking out new wildlife. I hope to take the kids on the beach the night before to stargaze and look for crabs and such.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:11 AM   #25
DarthTod
Mouseketeer

I don't homeschool, but when I take my kid to different biomes, I like to have him look at the native animals and try to determine what ecological influences might have caused them to evolve differently than animals in our home environment. On Western Caribbean cruises, there is also the chance to talk about the Yucatan peninsula and the extinction level event that occurred there 66 million years ago. Kids are usually pretty thrilled with the idea of massive asteroids crashing into the planet. The plate tectonics of the Caribbean are also a pretty interesting topic and a good entry into all kinds of discussions on continental drift, Pangea, etc.

And yeah, my BS was in geology ;-)
DarthTod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:54 AM   #26
Aigantighe
Earning My Ears

We're not home schooling but we are looking to pull the kids out of school and kindy here in New Zealand for a cruise during term time so we are really interested in learning opportunities. A great thread - thanks! Travel is one of the only things you buy that makes you richer and not poorer so a big overseas trip for DD7 and DS4 will be a great educational moment!
Aigantighe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:08 AM   #27
jmrbc9900
Earning My Ears

There's also budgeting stuff. Spending $ on the ship so easy because u are using a "credit card". Basic math - add up receipts each say to see if u are staying on budget.

Sent from iPad
jmrbc9900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #28
JackieO
Mouseketeer

I realize now that I titled this thread wrong. I should have just said "educational ideas" and left off the "home-schooling". Everyone is interested in educational opportunities.

Great ideas so far on those teachable moments. I'm going to use the world map for CM's homes, star gazing, and budgeting ideas for sure, and we're going to the library for books on the countries we'll be visiting today. Keep the ideas coming.
JackieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #29
meajuly5
DIS Veteran

Really enjoyed this thread and decided to do some of hese things too on our summer cruie tonalaska! Hope the kids enjoy e naturalists and will definitely incorporate the stargazing etc.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #30
meajuly5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by usfourandnomore
Love this thread!! We home school as well. We have traveled with DCL twice. I love the world map and stars ideas. How wonderful if the Kid's Clubs would implement some of these ideas in to their programs!! The learning possibilities while traveling with your kiddos whether you home school or not are endless....AND the best part is most of the time they are learning and don't even realize it. That is my favorite kind of learning!!
Very true! That would be great

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: