Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
JackieO
Mouseketeer

Any home-schoolers with fun learning idea for on board?

Hi, we are a home-school family. I have a DD in college (she's not home-schooling anymore ), a DS in 11th grade and a DS in 2nd grade. I'm always looking for new things to learn and teach. Any fun ideas for for things to look out for on board? Did you ever get home and wish you had taken time to learn about something while on board or before you went?
JackieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #2
reagansmom
Mouseketeer

We don't homeschool, but do pull DD out of school to go to Disney. I found a great book that focused on Homeschooling at Disney. Look for Magical Mouse School house. There's a website, too.
reagansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #3
pannm
Mouseketeer

We are a home school family! I, too, am hoping to hear of any ideas! We are spending a few weeks (before we leave for our cruise) studying the countries/areas that we're stopping in. I'm teaching my girls about parts of the history of the Gulf of Mexico and what types of marine life live there.

We are doing a dolphin swim and excursion and turtle farm in Grand Cayman. There is an entire section of their ciriculum just for marine life and habitats that will be covered in that excursion!!! Our library has 'ciriculum videos' that work along with lesson plans. We were looking through it last week and there was a video on dolphin education...."HMMMM, they could watch a video about it and pick up a few minor things that they may or may not remember...OR we could DO IT and they'll remember it for LIFE!!!" Needless to say, we didn't check out that video. All the kids in her grade will watch it by the end of the year though (in public school!).

Also, in the kids club they do experiments at times. There has been times where kids can actually make a volcano and make it 'errupt'...things like that would be very fun and educational all at the same time!

Feb/March 2013...FIRST CRUISE (certainly NOT the last!)...July 2012, 4 nights Paridise Pier Disneyland...Sept. 2011, 4 nights pop century 3 nights AKL...March 2011, 11 nights pop century on dinning plan...May 2010, 8 nights all-inclusive Dreams Cabo...December 2010, 5 nights-Royal Pacific Universal resort...October 2009, 5 nights Wilderness Lodge...February 2009, 10 nights split between pop century and animal kingdom lodge...December 2007, 7 nights pop century
pannm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:05 PM   #4
kalc12345
DIS Veteran

We are homeschoolers What we do is study about the places we are going a couple of weeks before we leave. For cruises you can also do a study on the ocean. We don't really do anything while on vacation.

kalc12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:06 PM   #5
jahber
DIS Veteran

We homeschool, and although I wouldn't count most days of a cruise as "school days," there is so much to learn! However, if you are specifically studying marine biology, I would personally be fine with counting a dolphin excursion as a half-day of school (field trip!!).

But we all know it doesn't have to be "school" to learn something new. Specifically, there are nautical terms (starboard, port, etc); navigation and astronomy, especially as you can often see more stars at sea than at home; geography (my kids loved watching the bridge report on the tv--it shows your path in relation to land/water masses); marine life, as you mentioned; and any number of new experiences on a ship! I wouldn't necessarily consider most of these "school," but they are still learning!

I am looking forward to the Panama Canal cruise as a true educational experience and may even count the canal passage as a school day if the kids are able to absorb enough. We'll see . But even Mexico or the Bahamas offer opportunities to actually experience a new culture rather than just reading about it.

Have a great cruise. But most of all, have FUN!!!!
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:13 PM   #6
DahliaRW
DIS Veteran

Love this thread! We won't do formal school on this thread, but I do plan to study a bit about the countries (especially geographically) as well as a bit about ocean/ocean life so my kids will know what they are looking at.

Aside from that, I love homeschooling because we can cruise whenever! Avoiding the crowded and more expensive school holiday time!
Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise January 18-25, 2014
Walt Disney World (Port Orleans Riverside) January 25-29, 2014 (Epcot, AK, MK, Epcot, HS)

DahliaRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
happycorgi
Earning My Ears

One thing to do is at night bring a portable telescope and have them pilot out the stars on graph paper. We do this all the time at home. Print out a list of constellations and where they are in the night sky.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:23 PM   #8
Kimbo71
Mouseketeer

Another homeschooling family.....I was glad to see this thread. Hadn't thought about stuying the marine biology of the Gulf Coast. We leave in a month, so we WILL be checking out some fun library books re this, hopefully next week.

Kimbo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #9
akeogh
Earning My Ears

Blockade Runners during Civil War

My 3rd grader did a report on the Blockade Runners between the Confederate states and Nassau during the Civil War. There are some history markers regarding Blockade Runners in downtown Nassau.
akeogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #10
kalc12345
DIS Veteran

Here are a couple of things I found to do before we went on our WDW vacation 2 months ago.

http://www.enchantedhomeschoolingmom...e-writing.html

trying2walkwisely.blogspot.com

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/098...reative=399373

http://fabulousclassroom.com/2011/02...es-activities/

http://www.lessonplanet.com/search?k...d&media=lesson

When we go on Disney cruises we learn about the ocean and the fish/sharks/etc. We love learning about things before our vacation

kalc12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #11
MandyGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycorgi View Post
One thing to do is at night bring a portable telescope and have them pilot out the stars on graph paper. We do this all the time at home. Print out a list of constellations and where they are in the night sky.
We're not homeschoolers, although I work with some through tutoring! But I had to share I love this idea! We are doing the EBTA and I think I will look for a small lightweight telescope to see if we can squeeze it in the bag. Not much light pollution in the middle of the Atlantic!

But it sure would be nice if Disney CMs had a constellation party on a sea day for that cruise for any of you DCL folks lurking these threads!
MandyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #12
alliesmommy
Just the two of us

We are a homeschooling family too! My DD is a kindergartener and we are bringing her phonics books along in the cruise. I want to keep her on track with the phonics curriculum. I'm hoping there will be lots of teachable moments on this cruise. It's our first, so we are winging it.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #13
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

We don't homeschool and this isn't as obvious as science or math but for the older child, I can't think of a better environment to study/observe customer service, psychology, child care, basic photography, etc.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 01-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #14
UmmGooD
DIS Veteran

We don't home school but our daughter is in a classic model Christian school so she does have school at home 2 days a week. One thing I really love our kids to understand is the culture of the people they will be interacting with on the ship. Spend time getting to know your stateroom hosts, where they are from, what languages they speak, the differences between their home countries and the places you are visiting (or the US for that matter). I think there is lots to learn just from the vast people and the cultures that are present on any cruise ship.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #15
LemonPie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmmGooD View Post
We don't home school but our daughter is in a classic model Christian school so she does have school at home 2 days a week. One thing I really love our kids to understand is the culture of the people they will be interacting with on the ship. Spend time getting to know your stateroom hosts, where they are from, what languages they speak, the differences between their home countries and the places you are visiting (or the US for that matter). I think there is lots to learn just from the vast people and the cultures that are present on any cruise ship.
If there was a "LIKE" button I would click it. The CMs are a wealth of information from all over the globe. Perhaps taking a world map and marking places that the CMs you encounter are from would be interesting. Our favorite was Natalia from Italy.
LemonPie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: