Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
zoemurr
DIS Veteran

newbie questions

This is my first day planning and my first trip to this board, so if these questions have all been asked a thousand times I apologize in advance. I just realized I can actually talk DH into this..

Anyway, we're looking for 4 nights the end of August. I realize I probably should have done this a year ago. Is it worth still trying to put together? I'm not sure next year will work as well.

I was playing around on the website.

4 nights, Bahamas, Dream, Aug 25, Itin. A. When I put in that there are 2 of us (did it once by accident) an inside stateroom comes up available for $1614. Then, if I back-up and put in the kids in (12&14), not changing anything else, the cheapest room I can get is Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah for $3150. Why can't I get all of us in the inside room? It says it sleeps 4.

Are these prices terrible? Should I wait? Is there a AAA discount?

Thanks.. off to read all the other posts.
zoemurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
KBT35
Mouseketeer

The rate is so high for a few reasons. It's just before many schools go back into session form summer break and the timeframe is not too far off. If you can stand to push it out a bit like book now for spring break or just before school lets out for summer you will find a way better price. Play around with different dates and see what you get.
The reason you are not able to book all 4 of you in the inside cabin is likely because there aren't life boats available now in that section. Inside cabin for relatively 4 adults would be SUPER cramped! There is only the bed and the couch I believe. It would be different if they were toddlers but still tight for a party of 4.
I don't believe AAA offers any discounting but they may offer OBC (onboard credit). I don't really know for certain. I don't believe that are any "discounts" aside from OBC's available.

Goodluck!
My Aunt's 65th Birthday Dream Surprise May 26th-30th 2013
KBT35 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Many of the inside rooms sleep only 3. I suspect the comment you saw was that it sleeps "up to 4." That means there are some rooms that sleep 4. It is possible that they are all booked up at this point. People will cancel as the "paid in full" date nears.

IF there are no openings later on for a 4 person room, I'd book 2 cabins each with 2 people--more room, more showers, more closets.

No AAA discounts.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #4
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoemurr View Post
This is my first day planning and my first trip to this board, so if these questions have all been asked a thousand times I apologize in advance. I just realized I can actually talk DH into this..

Anyway, we're looking for 4 nights the end of August. I realize I probably should have done this a year ago. Is it worth still trying to put together? I'm not sure next year will work as well.

4 nights, Bahamas, Dream, Aug 25, Itin. A. When I put in that there are 2 of us (did it once by accident) an inside stateroom comes up available for $1614. Then, if I back-up and put in the kids in (12&14), not changing anything else, the cheapest room I can get is Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah for $3150. Why can't I get all of us in the inside room? It says it sleeps 4.

Chances are the lifeboat capacity for that room has been filled. To see if that's it, try putting 4 adults in the inside room and see if they will let you.

No AAA discount. Sometimes AAA (if you book through them) will offer perks (free photos, or such).

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
Postal68
DIS Veteran

Quote:

We are actually on that cruise and I found the rates ( 2 Adults & 2 children-12&16) were actually some of the cheapest of the summer when our kids are on break. They were basically the same price as the April and May cruises. We went in April of 2012 just because it was the cheapest Disney cruise I could find. We stayed in the larger verandah family stateroom and took the same this time, CAT 4A.
Postal68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:00 PM   #6
zoemurr
DIS Veteran

Got it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBT35 View Post
The rate is so high for a few reasons. It's just before many schools go back into session form summer break and the timeframe is not too far off. If you can stand to push it out a bit like book now for spring break or just before school lets out for summer you will find a way better price. Play around with different dates and see what you get.
The reason you are not able to book all 4 of you in the inside cabin is likely because there aren't life boats available now in that section. Inside cabin for relatively 4 adults would be SUPER cramped! There is only the bed and the couch I believe. It would be different if they were toddlers but still tight for a party of 4.
I don't believe AAA offers any discounting but they may offer OBC (onboard credit). I don't really know for certain. I don't believe that are any "discounts" aside from OBC's available.

Goodluck!
Thanks. I looked at booking for the same week in 2014 and it is $400 cheaper. Not sure that savings is worth it for us. That is the cheapest week in the summer that we can go.

School breaks are tough.. kids often have a lot of homework.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #7
zoemurr
DIS Veteran

So did you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal68 View Post
We are actually on that cruise and I found the rates ( 2 Adults & 2 children-12&16) were actually some of the cheapest of the summer when our kids are on break. They were basically the same price as the April and May cruises. We went in April of 2012 just because it was the cheapest Disney cruise I could find. We stayed in the larger verandah family stateroom and took the same this time, CAT 4A.
book a long time ago and get a much better rate? After looking at the price savings for an inside room I'm not sure that would really be worth it anyway.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:25 PM   #8
KBT35
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Thanks. I looked at booking for the same week in 2014 and it is $400 cheaper. Not sure that savings is worth it for us. That is the cheapest week in the summer that we can go.

School breaks are tough.. kids often have a lot of homework.
Yea school breaks are hard that's why I just pull him out of school just before it lets out for the summer but after standardized testing. Those last 2 weeks when they are just killing time!
My Aunt's 65th Birthday Dream Surprise May 26th-30th 2013
KBT35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:29 PM   #9
zoemurr
DIS Veteran

we don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBT35 View Post
Yea school breaks are hard that's why I just pull him out of school just before it lets out for the summer but after standardized testing. Those last 2 weeks when they are just killing time!
get out 'till the very end of June when most of the country is out anyway, so that wouldn't help. I did pull them when they were younger for DW but I can't do that for my HS kid now.

So would anyone else consider this for $3150 or am I way overspending?
Old 01-14-2013, 10:30 PM   #10
loribee
Earning My Ears

We got a on-board credit by booking through AAA.
loribee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:35 AM   #11
DisneyCruiser83
You jump, I jump, Jack!

Quote:
get out 'till the very end of June when most of the country is out anyway, so that wouldn't help. I did pull them when they were younger for DW but I can't do that for my HS kid now.

So would anyone else consider this for $3150 or am I way overspending?
The question is, is it worth it to you? What I like to do is break the price down to what it is per person / per day. For the cruise you are describing, that is $196.87. For me, that is too high even for a verandah room, but going in the summer with not much time before the 90 day mark changes things. If no other dates work for you, I would still go and see if you enjoy it. If so, book a second cruise while on board to lock in a 10% discount and some on board credit. Good luck!

"The sea is His for He made it and His hands formed the dry land." Psalm 95:5
DisneyCruiser83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:11 AM   #12
zoemurr
DIS Veteran

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyCruiser83 View Post
The question is, is it worth it to you? What I like to do is break the price down to what it is per person / per day. For the cruise you are describing, that is $196.87. For me, that is too high even for a verandah room, but going in the summer with not much time before the 90 day mark changes things. If no other dates work for you, I would still go and see if you enjoy it. If so, book a second cruise while on board to lock in a 10% discount and some on board credit. Good luck!
I guess what I was wondering is what do "seasoned" cruisers expect to pay for a cruise like this? Unfortunately it looks like if we want to go in the summer, even booking for next year this is the cheapest week and about what we would need to spend. I'm a bit surprised 'cause when we go to Disney this week there are often large discounts.

On the last day what time do you need to be off the boat?
Old 01-15-2013, 06:14 AM   #13
Cisco0214
Earning My Ears

Are you huge disney fans? Have you cruised any other lines ? Taking into consideration your kids ages ....I would look at other cruise lines Disney is good but so are many other cruise lines.
Cisco0214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:18 AM   #14
zoemurr
DIS Veteran

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco0214 View Post
Are you huge disney fans? Have you cruised any other lines ? Taking into consideration your kids ages ....I would look at other cruise lines Disney is good but so are many other cruise lines.
I think it's more about the "Disney" than the cruise.. they have been to DW 4 times and DL once.

I'm afraid if I look at other cruises I'm going to really hate this price. DH and I did Carnival 16 years ago, but that's all.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:36 AM   #15
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoemurr

I think it's more about the "Disney" than the cruise.. they have been to DW 4 times and DL once.

I'm afraid if I look at other cruises I'm going to really hate this price. DH and I did Carnival 16 years ago, but that's all.
Unlike WDW, seasoned cruisers either book the day dates release (for example, December 2012 for summer 2014) but before the prices jump or at the last second (under 75 days, waiting for GTY or guarantee rates, which can be quite affordable if they come available as cheaply as 2A 4 nights under $800). We also book on board for the 10% off. We cruise mostly during school, pulling our kids.
I've done 4 in a 10A, and would do it again. If you're flexible about ships, you can often find a cheaper sailing. Have you checked any of the DCL sailings on the classics?
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Upcoming Big Family Reunion Cruise
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: