Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 07:06 AM   #1
Tiresius
Mouseketeer

Goofy/Dumbo/Coast to Coast Medal Logistics

This may be a silly question, but how does the medal process work for finishing a race that earns you multiple medals? I know that the Dumbo Double Dare is a new event, so we can't know for certain what the process will be, but if we assume it works like Goofy, what does that mean?

For example, I am running the Princess 1/2 this February, and then Dumbo in September. When I cross the Princess finish line, I get that medal. Simple. But how does it work at Dumbo (assuming its Goofy-like)? The first race is one medal, then the second race is 3 medals? How do I prove I earned the Dumbo one? Or the Coast to Coast?

I have read in various places about wristbands or wearing the same bib for multiple events. I know it will all be explained to me when I get there, but I am intrigued now. Am I going to be walking around Disneyland for two days with an entire arm full of wristbands? Am I going to be racing with multiple bands on? Am I really going to be handed 3 medals all back to back?
2014 - Jan: 10k, Donald 1/2, Discovery Cove, and SeaWorld. 2013 - Dec: 7 night Western Caribbean on DCL Fantasy. Aug/Sept: 5 days DL and Dumbo Double Dare. February: Quick weekend getaway to AoA and CBR for Princess Half Marathon Weekend 2012 - September: 5 days at ASMo for TOT 10 Miler and F&WF May: 7 Night Alaskan Cruise on the Disney Wonder 2011 - December: 1 Night at ASMo for MVMCP and CP, then 3 nights at RP for WWoHP and US May: 10 Nights at ASSp with DMom for EE5K (3rd Place!), Ep F&G, WPx2, Premium Plan (1 Night only), D23 Scavenger Hunt (32nd), Destination D. 2010 - June: 5 nights at ASSp for SWW and EE 5K Challenge (Solo) January: 5 very cold days with DMom and DSis (her first trip) for 1 night at POFQ, 1 night at AKL, 3 nights at ASSp. Mom ran the 5K, we swam in Epcot Aqua Seas, and did all 4 parks with only 2 day tixs. 2009 - August: Longest trip to date, 7 days at ASMu with my girlfriend. 2008 - September: Labor Day Solo trip at POP, first time free dining, 3 parks in 1 day and my first water park. October: MNSSHP X2 and Food and Wine Festival (Solo at ASMu). February: 3 day Solo trip at POP for P&PP and 2am in the MK (yeah EMH!). 2007 - November: 2 day Solo Trip at ASSp to see Cirque, AK, and DQ. December: DMom and Me at ASMu for Christmas with Dining and MVMCP. 2006 - May: 3 days at DL, solo (age 24), offsite. 2005 - January: 5 days at WDW, w/ DMom, POP Century. 2002 - 1 day at MK, w/ DFather, DSis (then 17), DBro (then 14)
Tiresius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:24 AM   #2
sunshine269
Mouseketeer

When I got my coast to coast they gave me a wrist band to show that. After I crossed the finish line, I got one medal them headed to C2C tent. When I got my goofy I had a goofy bib and after crossing, went to goofy table.

Jennifer
sunshine269 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
rmgreenesq
Toadi Acceleratio Semper Absurda

When I did the second leg of the coast to coast last year at the Wine and Dine, the volunteer at the packet pick up put a wrist band on my wrist. He was quite insistent on putting the band on my wrist (least I sell it or something?)

Upon crossing the finish line of the W&D, I went to the C2C table. They snipped the wristband off me and gave me the second medal.

BTW, I am doing the exact same thing as you, except my Florida race was the WDW Half Marathon. Like you, I'll be picking up the Diz 10k metal, the Diz Half medal, the Dumbo Medal, and the C2C medal. That's a lot of hardware!

Rick
rmgreenesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #4
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

I would assume I'd be wearing a wristband for the Coast to Coast like last year. When I crossed the finish, a volunteer sniped it off and another handed me the medal.

I'd assume I'd wear a Dumbo bib for the 1/2 which would give me the Dumbo medal upon completion in addition to the 1/2 medal.

Four medals in two days....that's a lot of clanging together. Cool and I can't wait!
mickeysgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:23 AM   #5
Tiresius
Mouseketeer

Thanks!

The coast to coast being a wristband I totally understand, it proves that YOU ran both coasts.

The one-bib thing I don't quite get though. What's to stop someone from registering for the double (either Goofy or Dumbo) and then just skipping the first race entirely but still getting the "double" medal at the finish of the second day's race? Yes, you paid for it, but the registration materials say that you have to actually finish the first race under the time limit. If all you really have to do is finish the second one and have the right bib on, doesn't it allow people to get around that? Not that I am suggesting it, if you want to run something as a challenge, then you better run/race/finish the whole thing in my opinion. It seems like you shouldn't be able to get the medals for races you didn't even participate in.
2014 - Jan: 10k, Donald 1/2, Discovery Cove, and SeaWorld. 2013 - Dec: 7 night Western Caribbean on DCL Fantasy. Aug/Sept: 5 days DL and Dumbo Double Dare. February: Quick weekend getaway to AoA and CBR for Princess Half Marathon Weekend 2012 - September: 5 days at ASMo for TOT 10 Miler and F&WF May: 7 Night Alaskan Cruise on the Disney Wonder 2011 - December: 1 Night at ASMo for MVMCP and CP, then 3 nights at RP for WWoHP and US May: 10 Nights at ASSp with DMom for EE5K (3rd Place!), Ep F&G, WPx2, Premium Plan (1 Night only), D23 Scavenger Hunt (32nd), Destination D. 2010 - June: 5 nights at ASSp for SWW and EE 5K Challenge (Solo) January: 5 very cold days with DMom and DSis (her first trip) for 1 night at POFQ, 1 night at AKL, 3 nights at ASSp. Mom ran the 5K, we swam in Epcot Aqua Seas, and did all 4 parks with only 2 day tixs. 2009 - August: Longest trip to date, 7 days at ASMu with my girlfriend. 2008 - September: Labor Day Solo trip at POP, first time free dining, 3 parks in 1 day and my first water park. October: MNSSHP X2 and Food and Wine Festival (Solo at ASMu). February: 3 day Solo trip at POP for P&PP and 2am in the MK (yeah EMH!). 2007 - November: 2 day Solo Trip at ASSp to see Cirque, AK, and DQ. December: DMom and Me at ASMu for Christmas with Dining and MVMCP. 2006 - May: 3 days at DL, solo (age 24), offsite. 2005 - January: 5 days at WDW, w/ DMom, POP Century. 2002 - 1 day at MK, w/ DFather, DSis (then 17), DBro (then 14)
Tiresius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:31 AM   #6
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

I would hope that Disney has already figured this out. Goofy runners should be able to elaborate on the process. Any Goody runners out there?
mickeysgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:33 AM   #7
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresius View Post
Thanks!

The coast to coast being a wristband I totally understand, it proves that YOU ran both coasts.

The one-bib thing I don't quite get though. What's to stop someone from registering for the double (either Goofy or Dumbo) and then just skipping the first race entirely but still getting the "double" medal at the finish of the second day's race? Yes, you paid for it, but the registration materials say that you have to actually finish the first race under the time limit. If all you really have to do is finish the second one and have the right bib on, doesn't it allow people to get around that? Not that I am suggesting it, if you want to run something as a challenge, then you better run/race/finish the whole thing in my opinion. It seems like you shouldn't be able to get the medals for races you didn't even participate in.
I haven't done it but if they have a computer it would take just a few seconds to look up your bib and make sure you finished the day before.
But there is no way to prove you were the person to do both races. I am running the Princess and see lots of people trying to sell their bibs. What is to stop someone selling their bib for a the first race then using the results to get a C2C?
Old 01-16-2013, 09:46 AM   #8
sunshine269
Mouseketeer

I just did the Goofy..no checking after finishing the full. They just sent me to goofy tent and they gave me my medal

Jennifer
Old 01-16-2013, 10:02 AM   #9
Haas4Concern
Mouseketeer

They seemed pretty loose with the Goofy medals. They tried to give my mom one and she was just doing the full. I would assume the dumbo medal will be similiar. I would expect them to check finish times for the C2C medal. Just speculation though.

2007 WDW 1/2 Marathon, 2012 WDW Marathon Relay, 2012 Inaugural Canton 1/2 Marathon, 2012 Ohio 2 Warrior Dash, 2012 Air Force Half Marathon, 2012 Wine & Dine, 2013 Goofy Challenge,Dumbo Double Dare 2013,Dopey Challenge 2014
Haas4Concern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #10
sunshine269
Mouseketeer

They didn't check when I did C2C either. Just saw my wrist band and have me a medal.

Jennifer
Old 01-16-2013, 12:51 PM   #11
JeffW
Earning My Ears

I was surprised at how lax Goofy medal handout was. Basically, if you finished the full with a Goofy bib on, it seemed like you got a medal at the Goofy Tent. No checking, just a line of volunteers with medals looking at bibs.
JeffW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:29 PM   #12
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffW
I was surprised at how lax Goofy medal handout was. Basically, if you finished the full with a Goofy bib on, it seemed like you got a medal at the Goofy Tent. No checking, just a line of volunteers with medals looking at bibs.
That's all it's been since they got rid of the wristbands two years ago. They are supposed to look you up in the computer, but I'm guessing the conditions made them want to get people to the food and medical tents quickly.

John
FFigawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: