Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 11:56 PM   #1
Suzanne74
DIS Veteran

What has changed the last 2 years? Looking for suggestions!

When we will go in August it will have been 2 years I used to be so in the loop and now I am out.

We will not have a dining plan so the skies the limit.

Besides Chef Mickey's traditional arrival dinner, CRT breakfast for my DD's 4th birthday celebration, and the new Belle's (we will do counter lunch) I am trying to decide where else we should go. We have a just turned 4yr old and 11yr old DD's.

The above is my limit on character meals!!

We will be staying at Saratoga Springs and have never eaten anywhere in DTD but Wolfgang's so I would love a suggestion there.

Looking for a suggestion in Epcot. Have done Seasons, Coral Reef, LeCellier, and Japanese Steakhouse and liked them all. An Italian restaurant years ago that was horrible. Counter service outside Mexico was a big no too.

Debating trying Ohana again. It has been a while and I think 4yr old would like it if they still do all the hula hoops and parade. Wasn't a fan of Whispering Canyon Cafe, Sci-Fi or 50's Cafe. Any other semi-kid involved restaurants that have even decent food?

What is decent for a counter service in AK and DHS? We usually do Pizza Planet for the kids and Flaming Tree BBQ once Tusker House counter service closed. Anything better??

Thanks in advance!!
09/11 - Kidani 1 bdrm villa savannah view!, 09/08 - Disney Cruise 4 night Wonder , 11/07 - Grand Floridian Christmas trip, 08/06 - POP Century (free dining), 10/05 - Coronado Springs Resort (free dining), 05/05 - Polynesian Lagoon Concierge, 09/04 - Old Key West 1 bdrm villa, 09/04 - Dolphin , 04/00 - Offsite, 06/98 - Contemporary, 08/96 - Contemporary Wing Room, 05/92 - Offsite, 08/90 - Disneyland, 4 other times with my family as a kid. All offsite.
Suzanne74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:42 AM   #2
jml06fsu
Earning My Ears

It seems as if you're interested in places that will be fun for your kids, so here's what I think based on that...

As far as DTD food:
I have not tried it yet, but i've heard great things about Splitsville. I'm not sure if your family ever goes bowling, but my co-workers say it's a fun time and the food is great. They have your basic bowling alley food (pizza, burgers, etc.) and they also have sushi, filets, and salads.

T-rex and rainforest cafe totally get points for atmosphere, they're both really cool inside, but the food just reminds me of what they serve at applebees or fridays. If you're okay with that (I know I am) I would definitely lean more towards T-Rex. The inside of that restaurant is so cool!

Ohana still does the coconut races/hula hoop stuff. I enjoy the food there...sometimes they have an "off" day, as most restaurants do. I would definitely go back if you enjoyed it the first time.

I hope that helped a little..
jml06fsu is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2013, 06:56 AM   #3
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne74 View Post
When we will go in August it will have been 2 years I used to be so in the loop and now I am out.

We will not have a dining plan so the skies the limit.

Besides Chef Mickey's traditional arrival dinner, CRT breakfast for my DD's 4th birthday celebration, and the new Belle's (we will do counter lunch) I am trying to decide where else we should go. We have a just turned 4yr old and 11yr old DD's.

The above is my limit on character meals!!

We will be staying at Saratoga Springs and have never eaten anywhere in DTD but Wolfgang's so I would love a suggestion there.

Looking for a suggestion in Epcot. Have done Seasons, Coral Reef, LeCellier, and Japanese Steakhouse and liked them all. An Italian restaurant years ago that was horrible. Counter service outside Mexico was a big no too.

Debating trying Ohana again. It has been a while and I think 4yr old would like it if they still do all the hula hoops and parade. Wasn't a fan of Whispering Canyon Cafe, Sci-Fi or 50's Cafe. Any other semi-kid involved restaurants that have even decent food?

What is decent for a counter service in AK and DHS? We usually do Pizza Planet for the kids and Flaming Tree BBQ once Tusker House counter service closed. Anything better??

Thanks in advance!!
I wouldn't waste a Disney dining experience opportunity on Rainforest Cafe. It is a national chain. T Rex is the same menu (same owner) but a different theme.
I love Raglan Road in DTD. It is an Irish restaurant. It is beautiful with great food and wonderful entertainment in the evening. They have a live band and Irish Step Dancers that I think your girls would enjoy.
In Epcot we love the new Via Napoli in Italy for pizza. It is excellent.
Lots of folks love Biergarden for little ones. There is an Oompah band and they invite folks to the dance floor to dance. It is a German themed buffet.
Have Fun
Old 02-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
vicb
DIS Veteran

My kids are just about grown up now but I will suggest a few of their favs (that are not on your tired list) when they were younger:

Marrakesh: they liked the kebobs and the belly dancer. we could order the appetizer sampler plate so they could taste some different things. Usually Aladdin and/or Jasmine are in the market place area for photo ops. Close to France where we could get a pastry for dessert before Illuminations.

Les Chefs in France: have done lunch there with the kids (dinner with adults)
Mac and cheese and profiteroles (ice cream, cream puff and hot fudge)
Had seat in the glass area and could watch out on world showcase, french mime/juggler did show right outside of window and Remy visited our table.

Biergarten: had a lot of fun but haven't been back. The atmosphere was better than the food IMHO but we were glad we went and the kids enjoyed the show.

At MK we always eat lunch at the Plaza, it is a tradition, good sandwiches and ice cream, view of the castle out the window.

You might enjoy a meal at one of the Boardwalk area restaurants then rent a surrey bike for a family ride.

Garden Grill was another fav of the kids in Epcot.

Also, Boma for breakfast at AKL. We slept in a bit that day, had a late breakfast, toured the Lodge to view the animals. It is a beautiful resort then hopped the resort's bus to Epcot for the afternoon.

Good luck.
vicb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:21 AM   #5
jwfla422
DIS Veteran/Philly Native

We were just in WDW last week. We had a wonderful meal at one of the (fairly) new restaurants in Italy @ Epcot-Via Napoli. You must check out my review on it- when I look at the photos I get hungry all over again! LOL

http://www.disneydiningreviews.com/v...nch-review.htm

We also really like Paradiso 37 in DTD, it has been a must do for us when we go to DTD. Here's a review:

http://www.disneydiningreviews.com/p...-37-dining.htm

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: