Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #31
LiveYourLife
I am the one who knocks...
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: On a plane to Vegas
Posts: 1,001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillpie View Post
God, could you be any ruder and insensitive?? For all we know, Terry will be coming back with very sad news tonite, and she has to come and read this?
Terry, I'm so sorry you're going thru this, as fellow pet lovers, we all can understand. I hope you come back with good news for us.
I am just posting what I am thinking BECAUSE I am a "pet lover". The thought of someone's pet suffering unnecessarily, like I said, just boggles my mind.

Tell me, as a "pet lover" would you have done the same if you found yourself in the OP's shoes?

I wouldn't have. I would have called the closest Emergency Vet I could find, and taken my pet in, if they suggested I do so, based on the symptoms presented. As a pet owner, it is my responsibility to provide food, shelter, and medical care for my pet. Yes, medical care can be expensive, but it comes with the (wait for it, here is that big word again) responsibility of having a pet.

Yes, maybe my post was rude and insensitive, but I just don't understand how people can just sit back and watch an animal suffer.
__________________
Have an A-1 Day!
LiveYourLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #32
DisneyFan32WI
Sometimes I just like to be plain and boring
 
DisneyFan32WI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: usa
Posts: 4,557

Update please!
__________________
DisneyFan32WI is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-16-2013, 07:34 PM   #33
SeaSpray


Frankly Scallop, I don't give a clam!
Loud people give me Skull Pain!
Call me "impatient"
 
SeaSpray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 16,587

Hey everyone, I'm sorry for not getting back here sooner. I'm actually home sick from work tonight, and DH and I had to go to Boston to see a specialist (for DH, not for our cat).

Ok, the vet is optimistic that Mushu will be ok.

Right before we brought him over, he apparently had a pretty big bowel movement which we didn't see until we got back home (the litter box is in the laundry room), but I'm still glad that we brought him in even if we had seen that he went because the vet took blood to run some tests, he manually cleaned him out (sorry if this is TMI), and he said that he removed all soft material, but there was one small hard piece that he removed that was about 6" deep into his colon/large intestines.

Also, he gave Mushu fluids via IV (subdermal) because he said he was slightly dehydrated, and also gave him a spoonful of something called Laxatone, and gave us the tube to take home. We'll give him a spoonful each day for the next couple of days, and then give this to him if/when he gets constipated again.

We asked about his food (he eats Iams formula for mature cats) but the vet said that that shouldn't be what causes this. At first the vet thought that Mushu had been constipated more often than he actually has been. He asked if he's constipated weekly! We said "No, maybe twice a year".

Thanks for all of the comments here and good thoughts.

Mushu still seems to be moving a bit slowly, but he's SO much better than he was yesterday morning!!

Anyway, the vet will call back with the blood work results, but Mushu is really starting to act like his old self again. We are so relieved.



P.S. I never said that the cat was bleeding and sitting in his litter box!?
__________________
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
John Terry Craig Robby Mushu BrownFamilyVacations.com

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*













































































~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
SeaSpray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:42 PM   #34
Jillpie
Can you package some Main St. music and send it to me?
 
Jillpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Ma., BCV
Posts: 8,278

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveYourLife View Post
I am just posting what I am thinking BECAUSE I am a "pet lover". The thought of someone's pet suffering unnecessarily, like I said, just boggles my mind.

Tell me, as a "pet lover" would you have done the same if you found yourself in the OP's shoes?

I wouldn't have. I would have called the closest Emergency Vet I could find, and taken my pet in, if they suggested I do so, based on the symptoms presented. As a pet owner, it is my responsibility to provide food, shelter, and medical care for my pet. Yes, medical care can be expensive, but it comes with the (wait for it, here is that big word again) responsibility of having a pet.

Yes, maybe my post was rude and insensitive, but I just don't understand how people can just sit back and watch an animal suffer.
I understand where you're coming from, we own two labs, so I get what you're saying. The problem I'm having is your insensitive delivery. As a Dis member for 10 years now, I'm very familiar with Terry's posts. She is a kind and very caring person, I can assure you she didn't sit by idly and watch her cat suffer. And the fact she hasn't returned with an update, tells me it may not be good news. In the future, if you have a super strong opinion, can I ask that you are just a little kinder, more sensitive in trying to get across what you're saying, thanks.
__________________
My happy place
Jillpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:49 PM   #35
Jillpie
Can you package some Main St. music and send it to me?
 
Jillpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Ma., BCV
Posts: 8,278

Fantastic news Terry, wonderful!
__________________
My happy place
Jillpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:50 PM   #36
SeaSpray


Frankly Scallop, I don't give a clam!
Loud people give me Skull Pain!
Call me "impatient"
 
SeaSpray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 16,587

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveYourLife View Post
I am just posting what I am thinking BECAUSE I am a "pet lover". The thought of someone's pet suffering unnecessarily, like I said, just boggles my mind.

Tell me, as a "pet lover" would you have done the same if you found yourself in the OP's shoes?

I wouldn't have. I would have called the closest Emergency Vet I could find, and taken my pet in, if they suggested I do so, based on the symptoms presented. As a pet owner, it is my responsibility to provide food, shelter, and medical care for my pet. Yes, medical care can be expensive, but it comes with the (wait for it, here is that big word again) responsibility of having a pet.

Yes, maybe my post was rude and insensitive, but I just don't understand how people can just sit back and watch an animal suffer.
Not sure if you were directing this to me specifically, or in general, but we took Mushu to the vet yesterday morning, which was less than 12 hours since his first signs of distress and he DID have a bowel movement during that time, (plus the other bowel movemen right before we brought him) but he still seemed like he wasn't well and was lethargic. I posted my original post at about 1am on Tuesday morning, and we brought him in that same morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillpie View Post
I understand where you're coming from, we own two labs, so I get what you're saying. The problem I'm having is your insensitive delivery. As a Dis member for 10 years now, I'm very familiar with Terry's posts. She is a kind and very caring person, I can assure you she didn't sit by idly and watch her cat suffer. And the fact she hasn't returned with an update, tells me it may not be good news. In the future, if you have a super strong opinion, can I ask that you are just a little kinder, more sensitive in trying to get across what you're saying, thanks.
Thank you!

I do apologise to everyone for not updating last night, or earlier today, but in addition to take Mushu to the vet and the lack of sleep from worrying about him all Monday night/into Tuesday morning, we had other doctor appoinments to get to yesterday afternoon, and today.
__________________
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
John Terry Craig Robby Mushu BrownFamilyVacations.com

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*













































































~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
SeaSpray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:50 PM   #37
LiveYourLife
I am the one who knocks...
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: On a plane to Vegas
Posts: 1,001

Seaspray, I'm glad your Mushu is on the mend, and I hope all is well with your DH. A good update, indeed.
__________________
Have an A-1 Day!
LiveYourLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #38
SeaSpray


Frankly Scallop, I don't give a clam!
Loud people give me Skull Pain!
Call me "impatient"
 
SeaSpray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 16,587

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveYourLife View Post
I am just posting what I am thinking BECAUSE I am a "pet lover". The thought of someone's pet suffering unnecessarily, like I said, just boggles my mind.

Tell me, as a "pet lover" would you have done the same if you found yourself in the OP's shoes?

I wouldn't have. I would have called the closest Emergency Vet I could find, and taken my pet in, if they suggested I do so, based on the symptoms presented. As a pet owner, it is my responsibility to provide food, shelter, and medical care for my pet. Yes, medical care can be expensive, but it comes with the (wait for it, here is that big word again) responsibility of having a pet.

Yes, maybe my post was rude and insensitive, but I just don't understand how people can just sit back and watch an animal suffer.

I just want to reiterate that, based on Mushu's symptoms, the vet did have us come in yesterday morning, but didn't feel it was a life-or-death immediate type of this. Probably because he was drinking water, and had had the bowel movement on Monday night.

I agree with you regarding pet responsibility too, but I do think you got a little upset and assumed something, because I hadn't replied before tonight.


All is well now.
__________________
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
John Terry Craig Robby Mushu BrownFamilyVacations.com

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*













































































~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
SeaSpray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:00 PM   #39
SeaSpray


Frankly Scallop, I don't give a clam!
Loud people give me Skull Pain!
Call me "impatient"
 
SeaSpray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 16,587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillpie View Post
Fantastic news Terry, wonderful!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveYourLife View Post
Seaspray, I'm glad your Mushu is on the mend, and I hope all is well with your DH. A good update, indeed.
Thank you!! We are very happy to see our Mushu returning to his usual spry behavior.
__________________
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
John Terry Craig Robby Mushu BrownFamilyVacations.com

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*













































































~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
SeaSpray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:10 PM   #40
LiveYourLife
I am the one who knocks...
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: On a plane to Vegas
Posts: 1,001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillpie View Post
I understand where you're coming from, we own two labs, so I get what you're saying. The problem I'm having is your insensitive delivery. As a Dis member for 10 years now, I'm very familiar with Terry's posts. She is a kind and very caring person, I can assure you she didn't sit by idly and watch her cat suffer. And the fact she hasn't returned with an update, tells me it may not be good news. In the future, if you have a super strong opinion, can I ask that you are just a little kinder, more sensitive in trying to get across what you're saying, thanks.
Ah, the proverbial "I'm a longtime poster and you are just a newbie, so watch what you say" smack down. Thank you, may I have another?!?!

Seaspray said, and I quote "I guess the thought of watching him die in front of me is really freaking me out.". She also mentioned switching off shifts with her DSs sitting with the cat because she needed a break, so yes, that did come across as she idly sat by, and watched her cat suffer. Either there was some over-exaggeration there, or it was true.

Now at this point we are bickering over nothing because Mushu is on the mend, which at the end of the day....is all that matters.
__________________
Have an A-1 Day!
LiveYourLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:11 PM   #41
luvsmickeymouse
Opt to Adopt!
 
luvsmickeymouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Lakes Region, NH
Posts: 2,625

Yay! I can almost hear the relief in your post! I am happy for you!
__________________
luvsmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:20 PM   #42
SeaSpray


Frankly Scallop, I don't give a clam!
Loud people give me Skull Pain!
Call me "impatient"
 
SeaSpray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 16,587

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveYourLife View Post
Ah, the proverbial "I'm a longtime poster and you are just a newbie, so watch what you say" smack down. Thank you, may I have another?!?!

Seaspray said, and I quote "I guess the thought of watching him die in front of me is really freaking me out.". She also mentioned switching off shifts with her DSs sitting with the cat because she needed a break, so yes, that did come across as she idly sat by, and watched her cat suffer. Either there was some over-exaggeration there, or it was true.

Now at this point we are bickering over nothing because Mushu is on the mend, which at the end of the day....is all that matters.
I did say that, and I really was freaking out at the time. He was basically sleeping but seemed very lethargic, and I let my imagination run away with me. So in retrospect, I guess I was exaggerating.

I don't think that because we didn't wisk him away to the ER that we were sitting idly by and watching him suffer, though.

And you're right, the main thing is that Mushu is on the mend.

But as much as *I* may have been overly upset with the situation when I first posted, I think you were pretty harsh in your overall assessment. Let's call it even.
__________________
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
John Terry Craig Robby Mushu BrownFamilyVacations.com

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*













































































~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
SeaSpray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:24 PM   #43
LiveYourLife
I am the one who knocks...
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: On a plane to Vegas
Posts: 1,001

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpray View Post
I just want to reiterate that, based on Mushu's symptoms, the vet did have us come in yesterday morning, but didn't feel it was a life-or-death immediate type of this. Probably because he was drinking water, and had had the bowel movement on Monday night.

I agree with you regarding pet responsibility too, but I do think you got a little upset and assumed something, because I hadn't replied before tonight.


All is well now.
Apologies to you Seaspray, my post did come off as witchy. The way you wrote in your OP about watching your cat die in front of you, and switching off shifts with your DSs sitting with Mushu
because you needed a break, my mind went a running and I just wanted poor Mushu to not have to suffer.
I truly am glad for you and your family that he is doing well now that things are "moving". That laxatone stuff is like a miracle goo for cats!!! Again, my apologies for being insensitive to your situation.
__________________
Have an A-1 Day!

Last edited by LiveYourLife; 01-16-2013 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Changed word
LiveYourLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #44
beaucoup
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,429

Glad the cat was seen by a vet & is going to be ok. But in the future, if you think your cat is dying & you are faced with watching him die, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take him to the Emergency Vet at Tufts in Grafton, MA or one closer, I provided the info to you up thread in post #21. Open 24/7/365. They are never closed. http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...2&postcount=21

There is no reason to ever be sitting there watching your pet die & waiting 12 hours to be seen by a vet.

Keep the emergency vet info handy. No need to call first. Just get in the car ASAP & drive there. Walk straight in with pet & they take them IMMEDIATELY! There are absolutely wonderful there.
beaucoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:54 PM   #45
FLherewecome
Earning My Ears
 
FLherewecome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 70

Such great news! I was thinking about the poor little guy. Hopefully he will be back fully to his old self very soon.
__________________
FL Here We Come !!
FLherewecome is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: