Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 11:50 PM   #1
SeaSpray

Frankly Scallop, I don't give a clam!
Loud people give me Skull Pain!
Call me "impatient"

Unhappy I think my cat is dying. **GREAT Update Post #33**

He seemed ok this morning, then I worked from 2-10pm, and since I got home a few hours ago, he at first was crying a lot, then threw up a few times, then seemed constipated, then he had a couple of bowel movements, and now he just seems lethargic.

Throwing up and occasionally being constipated are not out of the ordinary for him. He's almost 12 years old, he's an indoor cat, and is well cared for. When we got him as a kitten, he had been malnourished, he had a respiratory infection, was full of fleas, and also had some sort of digestion problem.

He thrived after we brought him home, and after being treated by the vet, but the vet told us that these lingering problems were due to his first few unhealthy months of life.

Anyway, now he's not doing well, and I'm freaking out. We've rushed him to the vet in the past, and he told us that as long as he's eating, drinking, and using his litter box, then there's not much else we do for him when he gets sick like this.

It just seems worse this time. OR, I feel like it's worse this time.

I just spent the last hour with the cat, and now DSs are staying with him (he's in mine and DH's bed right now), and I had to give myself a break.

I'm not usually a very dramatic person at all, but I guess the thought of watching him die in front of me is really freaking me out.

Thanks for letting me vent.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
John Terry Craig Robby Mushu BrownFamilyVacations.com

~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]

Last edited by SeaSpray; 01-16-2013 at 07:36 PM.
SeaSpray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:59 PM   #2
becpee
I see sock puppets

Sorry to hear about your kitty

I've just gotten a new little one and have become very attached to her, I don't know how i'd cope if something happened to her

Sept 2001 DL, Oct 2009 DL PPH, Sept 2012 DCL Western Caribbean, WDW Coronado Springs, Oct 2012 DL Fairfield Inn

Sept 2014 DCL Eastern Caribbean, WDW BWV, DL

becpee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2013, 12:00 AM   #3
robinb
DIS Veteran

Oh no! I hope that he's OK. Snuggle him and love him. You are a good kitty mama {{hugs}}.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:05 AM   #4
JessB320
DIS Veteran

Is he urinating or just having bms? What color are his gums? Can you take his temp? ( you can use regular digital thermometer rectally) anything he could have gotten into? Do you have Lillys ( the flower) inside?
JessB320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:00 AM   #5
kacaju
DIS Veteran

male cat going to the litter box crying...he could have a urinary blockage if you are reading this and he is still alive I;d gett him to the vet ASAP
kacaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:44 AM   #6
Princess Dolly
Unfortunately it encroached the danger zone

He's only 12. I would have taken him to the emergency vet at that point. Poor kitty.
Princess Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:21 AM   #7
turkeymama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Dolly View Post
He's only 12. I would have taken him to the emergency vet at that point. Poor kitty.
I'm a new kitty mom. Well, she's over a year old now, but she is my first cat. What is average life span for a cat?

OP, I hope your baby is feeling better. I can just imagine the emotions you are feeling. Sorry you are having to go through this with him.
turkeymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:21 AM   #8
shortbun
Peacenik

Have you taken him in? If he's crying, he's probably in pain. Dying is one thing; dying in pain without assistance is another.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:25 AM   #9
Geoff_M
DIS Veteran, DVC Member, "Cum Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc"

It might also be that your cat ate a foreign object and has a partial intestinal blockage. About three years go one of our cat's exhibited many of the same symptoms as yours (with the exception of crying). Couldn't keep food or liquids down, lethargic, constipated, etc. A couple of trips to the vet didn't yield much improvement. Then the vet had a hunch. He took a 2nd x-ray of our cat's abdomen and compared it to one from a couple days earlier. Effectively, nothing had moved within his intestines. He said this pointed to some sort of blockage, but nothing showed up on on the x-ray. We OK'ed surgery to have the vet check things out... and he found the problem. Our older son had a weight-lifting set and he used a high-density foam mat underneath it to protect the floor. Our cat had chewed off a corner of the mat and managed to swallow a piece of it the size of a Styrofoam peanut. Being foam, it didn't show up on the x-ray. The surgery was "in time" to prevent permanent tissue damage to the intestine, and the cat recovered.

One of his nicknames is now "The $2,000 Cat".

"Cry 'Havoc', and let slip Tomas Holmstrom!!!"

"In-a da crease... Out-a da crease... In-a da crease... Out-a da crease!!!!"

"Way, way back many centuries ago... Not long after the Bible began..."
Geoff_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:29 AM   #10
shortbun
Peacenik

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeymama View Post
I'm a new kitty mom. Well, she's over a year old now, but she is my first cat. What is average life span for a cat?

OP, I hope your baby is feeling better. I can just imagine the emotions you are feeling. Sorry you are having to go through this with him.
I've had many cats make it to 17-19 and one make it to 21. I currently have a 15 yo female and she's just beginning to show signs of getting old-not as able to jump on narrow ledges, sight and hearing seem to be a tad off at times. Some people think keeping them indoors helps. I don't; All my cats have been indoor/outdoor cats and I think the exersize and variation of activity have helped to keep them healthy-just like us. My 15 yo goes out twice a day or so for less than 1/2 hour now. She has a route that she walks and she's modified it over the years to make the jumps easier. I've never willingly allowed a cat to be out late at night or all night and all my cats have always had regular vacinations and preventative care as well as lots and lots of attention. Cats thrive on love and attention as well as exersize and a healthy diet, lots of water and some wheatgrass or something green if they're indoor animals or it's winter. Also and maybe most important: If you can tell a cat is sick, they are really sick. They hide minor things so take your kitty to the vet if you notice a problem.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:32 AM   #11
Princess Dolly
Unfortunately it encroached the danger zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeymama View Post

The average lifespan of an indoor cat is 13 to 17 years, but it seems to be getting longer just from reading about other people's cats. My dear Kitty lived to be 17 1/2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_M View Post
It might also be that your cat ate a foreign object and has a partial intestinal blockage. About three years go one of our cat's exhibited many of the same symptoms as yours (with the exception of crying). Couldn't keep food or liquids down, lethargic, constipated, etc. A couple of trips to the vet didn't yield much improvement. Then the vet had a hunch. He took a 2nd x-ray of our cat's abdomen and compared it to one from a couple days earlier. Effectively, nothing had moved within his intestines. He said this pointed to some sort of blockage, but nothing showed up on on the x-ray. We OK'ed surgery to have the vet check things out... and he found the problem. Our older son had a weight-lifting set and he used a high-density foam mat underneath it to protect the floor. Our cat had chewed off a corner of the mat and managed to swallow a piece of it the size of a Styrofoam peanut. Being foam, it didn't show up on the x-ray. The surgery was "in time" to prevent permanent tissue damage to the intestine, and the cat recovered.

One of his nicknames is now "The $2,000 Cat".
That was my thought. My Dolly is a hoover and I'm always watching out for signs of this.

OP, just because the cat is exhibiting similar symptoms of something in the past, it doesn't mean it's the same thing. And I wouldn't be able to watch my cat be in pain.
Princess Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:33 AM   #12
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Poor kitty
Old 01-15-2013, 08:34 AM   #13
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

My first thoguht was some kind of obstruction.
Take kitty to the vet.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:10 AM   #14
MichelleVW
I call them "the people that live in my house"

I hope your kitty is ok, and it sounds like I would find a new vet. I'm sure they could do something.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:03 AM   #15
SeaSpray

Frankly Scallop, I don't give a clam!
Loud people give me Skull Pain!
Call me "impatient"

Thanks for the replies. Mushu made it through the night, and we'll be taking him to the vet within the hour.

John Terry Craig Robby Mushu BrownFamilyVacations.com

~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
SeaSpray is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: