Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
RainK
Mouseketeer

Which water park and why?

PLEASE Help me decide which water park. We have never done the waterparks before and plan on going to one this time. Typhoon or Blizzard? Which one and why?
Kids ages 9 1/2 and just 8.

August 2013 Beach Club
August 2011 POP
May 2010 CBR
October 2008 ASMO
September 2006 & 2007 POP
Previous 2 visits off site
RainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
abbie13_15
Mouseketeer

I really like the theming at blizzard beach. Both have fun rides...
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #3
erincon23
Everyone must have gotten a life in the last few days
As you can see, I have gotten sidetracked

My kids have been to both, but they prefer Typhoon Lagoon (I've only been to TL -- kids have gone with dad or with school groups). They say that the extras -- including the swim with the sharks and the slides-- are better at TL.

me DH DS16 DS20 On our last family trip, 3/09
erincon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
WILDERNESS FAN 55
CANNOT GET ENOUGH

Love the wave pool at TL and have never been on the water coaster. Been many years since I went in warm weather but this May ...well I'll be Back !

Off site 72-76-76-77-78(MM 50th b-day) 79-81-82-85-86 FW-84-86-88-90-90-91-92-95-96
Poly 87 GF 88 CR 90 CBR 91-06-10
Disney Inn 93 ASM 95-96-02 CS 98
POFQ 97 DIXIE Landing 00 POR 07-08 WL-11
DL-Honeymoon-77 03 OKW -13 BLT-13 BWV-13
Trips planned 2015 WDW 2016 Aulani 2017 WDW XMAS
WILDERNESS FAN 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
krayzmelmel
Mouseketeer

water parks

Blizzard beach theming is nicer, most of the "good" slides are on top of one huge mountain, and you either have to hike up it every time you want to slide, or ride the ski lift which usually has ridiculously long lines! The wave pool there is more bobbing, and most of the time in it is spent trying to secure a inner tube! The family boat slide at BB is much longer though!

It also seems more crowded too..

I personally like Typhoon Lagoon because of HUGE wave pool with the surf size waves (lots of warnings that you need to be a good swimmer the deeper you go) and the reef tank which is a good experience if you've never been snorkeling.. Also, Crush n Gusher is a slide that is different because it's a water coaster!

For some reason I have always found good lounge chair locations !

The lazy rivers at both are great!

Next Trip: Hopefully Tomorrow!
All my Disney experiences ~ PRICELESS :-D

krayzmelmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:55 PM   #6
Brer Shay
compulsive Disney planner

All three of mine prefer Typhoon Lagoon. When I asked why, two of them said the that most all of the park appeals to everyone since it doesn't have the "extreme" slides that BB has. My middle child, and animal lover, just looked at me. When I asked what, she said, "Three words mom, SWIM WITH SHARKS!" I had forgotten that was her favorite thing.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:03 PM   #7
Tink-n-Belle
DIS Veteran

BB.

I've been to TL 3 times and like the slides at BB better, except for the water coaster at TL. If BB had a water coaster, I never go back to TL, althought it is beautiful the slides at TL are not great and I hate the up and down stairways they have, its such a waste of energy.

BB has alot of unique slides and I love the chair lift. Get there early and the line isn't that bad.

BWV 12,11,10,09,08,07, 06(2) *BLT 13,12,11,10 *BCV 13,12,06 *AKV 08*VB 06,08 & 09*Cont 02 *Poly 86 *Grand Floridian 88 *All Stars 94 & 04 *Club villas 84,85,87,90,92 & 99 *offsite 83,81,80,76 &73
Tink-n-Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #8
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

My family loves Typhoon Lagoon. It has Crush N Gusher the water coaster. It has a Shark reef/tank where you can swim with baby sharks (in the coldest water I have ever been in in my life) and it has a wave pool that generates 6 foot waves. It is super fun to get washed away by the big waves.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:18 PM   #9
Tramp68
DIS Veteran

Typhoon Lagoon for the 6 foot waves in the wave pool

Blizzard beach for the water slides...

It depends on what you want to do...
OKW Nov 2002
OKW Feb 2005
OKW July 2007 (3 weeks)
AKV April 2008
FWC Aug 2010 (1 month)
AKV July 2011 (1 month)
OKW Dec 2013

Member OKW 1998 (55pts woo-hoo)
Member SSR 2005
Add-on SSR 2007
Add-on SSR 2010
Add-on BWV 2013
Tramp68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #10
AppleSister1
DIS Veteran

My nephews prefer TL. Mainly because of the wave pool, but also, there seem to be more rides that are cool, but not super extreme, and more slides we can do together. We are doing one water park in April, both asked for TL over BB.
1982 - WDW, Off site * 1996 - Grand Floridian * 1997 - DL, Disneyland Hotel * 1998 - CSR * 2000 - YC* 2001 - DL, Grand Californian * 2002 - YC * 2003 - YC * 2004 - BC Concierge * 2006 - YC * 2008 - YC * Jan 2010 - WL * May 2010-Poly * Dec 2010 - CSR *April 2011 - AKL CL * Sept 2011 - YC * Dec 2011 - YC * May 2012 - YC * July 2012 - Aulani * Dec 2012 - POFQ * April 2013 - POFQ * June 2014- Contemporary * October '14 Boardwalk
AppleSister1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:23 PM   #11
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

We liked BB a lot better overall, but TL does have some unique stuff. The wave pool got old quick, and only my oldest daughter really liked shark reef. But, we all loved Crushin' Gusher. As with PP, if BB had a water coaster, we'd have little reason to go to TL.

If you care to read our experience from my trip report:

Sunday 06/17/2012
TYPHOON LAGOON
Slept in a little & hit the park around 9:15. Note: Signage for this park is not the best. Where Typhoon Lagoon is not mentioned, just follow Downtown Disney directions. First stop after the locker drop-off was shark reef. DD6 couldn’t get along with the snorkel, so she & DW took off their masks & just floated. Cold water had me breathing rapidly, but I did “okay”. DD11 was a pro right from the start & loved it. Ultimately, she’d do this attraction 4 more times throughout this day. Next up Crushin’ Gusher, the water coaster. Not much line, so we do all 3 flumes twice each. This ride a HUGE hit for the entire family. Next up wave pool & we promptly get pounded complete with scrapes & spilled blood (DD6 gets a bandaid & antiseptic from the first aid station, I pass). DD6 & DW decide to hang out in the very shallow end while DD11 & I attempt to body surf. I eventually swim ALL the way out to the rope & try it from there – it actually works better (for me) at about 5’ of depth than it does out by the rope. Waste deep proves to be the place to avoid as you get knocked around A LOT. Big waves seem cool, but the novelty wears off very fast. Paid close to $40 for a couple sandwiches & hot dogs, brought our own drinks. Food was good though. Off to Storm sliders. I found them “okay”, rest of the family really enjoys them. Family raft ride and the tube slides (forget what they’re called) are all boring as can be. Worse, the line for the raft ride was 40+ minutes. Worst ride of this type ever, a real snoozer. Did the 50’ drop slide. Good drop, but as I’d later find of all Disney drop slides, your back gets buffeted around a LOT, unlike similar slides at non-Disney waterparks. So, back to Crushin’ Gusher for several more rides before calling it a day.
Side note: We noticed some Europeans & most South Americans like to get as close to naked as possible at the water parks. And it appears that women’s bathing suits in Brazil only come in size 6 or smaller. So, in Brazil, if you’re a petite gal, your suit may be risqué, but it will fit fine. If you’re a normal sized woman (or larger), well, your bikini doesn’t get more fabric, only more string LOL.

Tuesday 06/19/2012
BLIZZARD BEACH
– after a late night the previous day, we slept in & hit the park just before 10:00. This is one of those kinds of generic waterparks that other than the theming has nothing unique. That said, ALL the rides are lots of fun. And overall we enjoyed BB more than TL. DD11 wanted to head straight to the Green Slope & Summit Plummet after getting a LARGE locker, so she & I took off while DD6 & DW splashed in the wave pool. Wait for Summit Plummet was ~15 minutes. Despite the 120’ drop, you don’t get the same sensation of height that similar rides have in other parks. Partly because the tower isn’t very high off the peak, and also because of the tunnel. It also doesn’t seem as steep of a drop either. Anyway, we both got pretty buffeted around again, as DD6 & I would later experience on Slushin’ Gusher, also on the Green Slope. No idea why these slides aren’t as smooth as those in other parks. Could be too much water. Still a couple pretty decent thrill rides though. Whole family then headed to the final Green Slope ride, Teamboat Springs, which we pretty much walked right on. This is a MUCH better family raft ride than the one at Typhoon Lagoon with a couple decent drops (but nothing too scary) and it’s a long ride to boot. We did this ride repeatedly, never waiting at all, although at one point the line suddenly backed WAY up. Turns out, the ride was down for some reason. Once it came back up, the line cleared right out again. On the back side of the Green Slope is the lone Red Slope ride, Runoff Rapids. The walk up the stairs to get on this ride is a killer. We had to laugh at the warning at the top about people with heart conditions. Trust me, if your heart isn’t in good enough shape for this ride, it darn sure isn’t in good enough shape for the stairs!! That said, the open slides for double tubes were great, and the enclosed slide for single tubes was even better. So, we burned lots of calories on this attraction hoofing it up those stairs. Never much of a line, either. On the purple slope is Downhill Double Dipper and 2 mat rides. As a bonus, there is a conveyor hauling tubes & mats to the top for you on these. DDD is a very fast, 6 second ride on a tube following a 30-40 minute wait. Worth the wait once a day, but wouldn’t spend all day in that line to ride it a 2nd time. We all enjoyed the Toboggan ride (mat racers), but DW & I didn’t care for the old-school mat slides that zigzagged down the hill. Kind of hard on our 40+ year old backs LOL. Really enjoyed this park, but there is a LOT of walking required with many rides spitting you out nowhere near the entrance to anything else, nor even the entrance to the ride you just finished.

Friday 06/22/2012 – Final day in The World
BLIZZARD BEACH/TYPHOON LAGOON
– Slept in again & got to BB around 9:45. Rain would threaten pretty much all day, though we did get a handful of hot, sunny times. Grabbed a large locker & headed to Teamboat Springs. Road this several times over the course of the day and once again it shut down at some point. We overheard the workers explaining to each other that apparently it was not a malfunction, but an attempt to send a wheelchair bound guest on the ride that caused a major delay. DD6 & I did Slushin’ Gusher again, we played in the wave pool, lots of trips down Runoff Rapids, 1 Toboggan ride, and 1 round on Downhill Double Dippers (again with a long wait). We had chips & drinks, but no real meal here. Around 3:00, we planned 1 final ride on Teamboat Springs before leaving, but were driven off by nasty storm clouds.
Back to the cabin for lunch & to wait out the storm. Having 1 WPFM visit left on our tickets, we arrived back at Typhoon Lagoon shortly before 6:00 p.m. in light rain. Both girls made one more trip through Shark Reef, and we did all 3 Storm Slider slides. The rest of the time was spent on Crushin’ Gusher. With the weather, the line was so light we weren’t required to even turn in our tubes. Instead, we just went on it continuously losing count of the # of rides we took. At 7:45, the storms were coming back around & announcements of the pending park closure were heard, so we called it a day.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: