Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 09:17 PM   #46
SimplyGoofy
"You are not Mickey Mouse... you are a rat!" "Rat, shmat. Besides, they're tourists. What do they know?"

(continued from previous post)

We passed by Cinderel, er, I mean, Prince Charming’s Regal Carrousel (which I never did ride—I’ll have to make up for that next time!).

We were out to try an attraction we’d never experienced before:

We’re all ready with our 3-D glasses!

And, the verdict? What an awesome attraction! We’ve been missing something that involves The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, and a crazed and frantic Donald Duck? Why have we never seen this before?! We both thought it was great.

After finding a new favorite, it was time to enjoy an old favorite:

I got a great shot of the horseless carriage:

We were pretty excited about checking out the new queue. This was an excellent addition to an already excellent attraction!

We had a great time hanging out with these guys:

We also really enjoyed the musical instruments and moving books, as well as the headstone that randomly leaked water:

Finally, I had to get a shot of my favorite headstone:

I always think that one is a riot. Don't mess with the wrong woman, buddy!

Yo ho, yo ho—it’s time to meet up with our favorite band of pirates!

Another Disney classic! I really liked the changes they made to this ride—the new part at the beginning as well as the surprise from the dive into the water… both excellent additions.

We had time for one more attraction before lunch, so we headed here:

I know Anika had been in the treehouse before, but she didn’t remember it! We both thought it was rather fun and I had a great time getting a few pictures:

Lunchtime! I was especially excited for this reservation as it was a bit of a “bonus”. Originally we’d planned to arrive on the 5th, but later decided to extend our trip by one day and arrive the day before. That allowed me to make three additional reservations—Via Napoli for dinner, GFC for breakfast, and what was up next… Liberty Tree Tavern for lunch. I was REALLY excited about it.

Up Next: Lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern

Feb 2012 - A Savanna, A Wizard, and Oodles of Food - AKL/DxDP/WWoHP
SimplyGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:21 PM   #47
blessedmom4
WE BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! ~~Nearly twice as many children die from Congenital Heart Defects in the U.S. each year as die from all forms of childhood cancers combined.

Location: I am not religious, I have a relationship with God.

Loved the latest update all the pretty smiles and the breakfast at GF looked scrumptious, especially the fruit!
blessedmom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2013, 08:30 AM   #48
luckylady
DIS Veteran

Lots of fun before lunch. Wonderful pictures. WHat's the new begining to PoC. Haven't been on that one yet.
Me Luckylady (53) DH (60) DS#1 (33)DD (25) and the "baby" DS#2 (23)
luckylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:43 AM   #49
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Wonderful pictures!
Old 01-28-2013, 09:34 AM   #50
Marsheliz
DIS Veteran

HMM, I could go for a smoked salmon bagel right about now.. And your drink looked pretty darn great too....

I can't believe you had never done Mickey's Philharmonic before.. That is seriously one of the best things at MK

Can't wait to hear about Liberty Tree.. I remember eating there a super long time ago but would love to try it next time!

No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep believing.. The dreams that you dream... Really do come true....

April 2005- Offsite.. My now DH's first time
December 2005- Offsite ( ENGAGED at MK)
December 2007- Offsite ( Pregnant with Lawson)
February 2011-All Star Sport ( Pregnant with Landen)
September 2012- 1 night @ POFQ
September 2012- 3 nights @ AOA
October 2013- Caribbean Beach Resort
June 2014- Weekend Surprise at Port Orleans Riverside!

October 2013 TR- http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3207813
Marsheliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #51
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Signing on, and I'm all caught up. I know it was a few chapters ago, but what was the deal with that lady on the plane? Talking about DisneyWorld will ruin her kids' trip? Get real, lady!

I'm glad you liked Animal Kingdom Lodge -- it's my favorite resort!

I've never had that cappucino-concoction that Stringbean steered you to, but it looks wonderful!

You're doing a great job making the most of your park-time and in looking at your Photopass pictures, it looks like you're having a great time.

Nice job on the TR....looking forward to more.
glennbo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:43 AM   #52
SimplyGoofy
"You are not Mickey Mouse... you are a rat!" "Rat, shmat. Besides, they're tourists. What do they know?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedmom4 View Post
Loved the latest update all the pretty smiles and the breakfast at GF looked scrumptious, especially the fruit!
Thanks! We had a lot of fun at Magic Kingdom that morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylady View Post
Lots of fun before lunch. Wonderful pictures. WHat's the new begining to PoC. Haven't been on that one yet.
Watch as I won't quite get it right... the beginning of the ride has a bit more build up than I remember, including drifting by an empty boat and such before reaching the more "active" scenes. Also, (I think near the beginning?) the boat rushes down with a bit of a drop. It's not Spalsh Mountain, by any means, but certainly an unexpected rush. I thought they were great additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
Wonderful pictures!
Thanks! I had a lot of fun with my camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsheliz View Post
HMM, I could go for a smoked salmon bagel right about now.. And your drink looked pretty darn great too....

I can't believe you had never done Mickey's Philharmonic before.. That is seriously one of the best things at MK

Can't wait to hear about Liberty Tree.. I remember eating there a super long time ago but would love to try it next time!
We loved Philharmagic! I can't believe we never did it either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Signing on, and I'm all caught up. I know it was a few chapters ago, but what was the deal with that lady on the plane? Talking about DisneyWorld will ruin her kids' trip? Get real, lady!

I'm glad you liked Animal Kingdom Lodge -- it's my favorite resort!

I've never had that cappucino-concoction that Stringbean steered you to, but it looks wonderful!

You're doing a great job making the most of your park-time and in looking at your Photopass pictures, it looks like you're having a great time.

Nice job on the TR....looking forward to more.
We LOVED AKL, and definitely plan to return there (whether we stay there or not!).

I don't know what was wrong with that lady... perhaps she hated to fly and the stress made her unreasonable? Who knows.

If you ever visit the GFC for breakfast, I highly recommend their frozen cappuccinos!

Old 01-29-2013, 10:39 PM   #53
SimplyGoofy

All Hail the Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake
Day 2—Part III

It was time for our lunch right here:

YAY!!! Liberty Tree Tavern, home of the OOEY GOOEY TOFFEE CAKE!!! (No, I was not excited AT ALL…)

We checked in about fifteen minutes early, but they seated us after just a few minutes. We noticed that happened a lot on our trip, so it never hurts to show up a little early!

Here’s a shot of the lobby of the restaurant:

We decided we weren’t hungry enough for two appetizers, so we decided to share the fabulous plate of Tavern Fried Cheese:

I LOVE cheese. If I ever become lactose intolerant I will be a very sad gal.

I also had to take a picture of my Sprite (not so much for the boring beverage, but more so for the fun mug!):

Anika ordered her usual water. Shockingly, no picture.

While we were waiting for our main dishes, I took a few pictures of our seating area of the restaurant, as well as this picture of Anika:

We’ll refer to this as her, “Really, Jen? You’re taking ANOTHER picture of me?” face. I have an entire collection of increasingly amusing Anika pictures with an increasingly annoyed expression as the week went on. I thought they were hysterical.

Thankfully, our food arrived quickly and Anika was spared from more pictures (for the moment, at least!).

I ordered the Tri-Corner Sandwich (roast beef, swiss, and horseradish on focaccia) with a side of New England Clam Chowder, and most importantly, a pickle:

I was in no way surprised with Anika’s order—the Angus Chuck (without cheese) Burger with a side of fries and another pickle:

She ADORED this hamburger and fries. I heard about how good these fries were for the rest of the week! My soup was quite good (it’s hard to beat clam chowder from Quincy Market in Boston, but this was tasty), but… I hated the sandwich. I have no idea why, as I love roast beef and focaccia and don’t even mind horseradish! Perhaps I caught the chef on a bad day and he decided to take it out on my sandwich? Who knows… next time I’ll try something else. Anika felt bad for me and gave me her pickle.

(I realize I’ve seemed quite ho-hum or disappointed in all of my choices—don’t worry! My ability to pick a suitable entrée improves dramatically in future meals!)

Now, it was time for the BEST PART OF THE MEAL… I hoped. We put our order in for one Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake (extra gooey, please!). Here it was:

Unfortunately, we were so stuffed from the rest of our lunch that we just couldn’t bring ourselves to make room for it.

Um, yeah, I wouldn’t have believed me either.

Anika and I polished off the whole darn thing. I will joyfully say that this dessert ABSOLUTELY lives up to all of the hype it receives on the DisBoards (and the Disney Food Blog, and about five million other Disney-related websites) because it was AWESOME. We would’ve ordered another one if only we hadn’t thought our eyes would cause our stomachs to explode at the sight of more food.

Final Verdict—Liberty Tree Tavern
Even though Magic Kingdom choices are a little slim to begin with we really loved Liberty Tree Tavern. All of our food was good (mine tasted fine even though I wasn’t in love with it) and Anika couldn’t stop talking about her darn french fries for the rest of the week. I’m STILL hearing about these french fries. Not as much, however, as I’m hearing (and thinking!) about that fabulous, fantastic, phenomenal dessert. Yum, yum, and more yum.

But no, we’ll never return.

(Kidding. We already booked another ADR for May.)

Up Next: More fun in the Magic Kingdom

Old 01-29-2013, 11:17 PM   #54
blessedmom4
WE BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! ~~Nearly twice as many children die from Congenital Heart Defects in the U.S. each year as die from all forms of childhood cancers combined.

Location: I am not religious, I have a relationship with God.

Thank... you...very...much...Now I must eat at Liberty Tree Tavern...the Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake looked delicious!

You two ladies take great pics! I look forward to the increasingly annoying ones that Big Sis took though.
blessedmom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:47 AM   #55
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Hahahaha DF always does the "increasingly annoyed as the trip progresses" photos too!

Sorry to hear that you weren't a fan of your sandwich. We had the pot roast, and LOVED it! Isn't that cake awesome though???
Stringbean&Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:14 AM   #56
Aussiesalad
Totes Mcgoats

Sounds like such a fantastic morning! I can't believe I have never started my day with a frozen cappuccino!! That must change next trip!!

Those photopass pics are adorable! You guys look great!

Ahhh we love philharmagic so much! I love how good it smells in there!!

The Ooey Gooey toffee cake looks amazing! I'm glad it kind of made up for your mediocre sandwich.
Aussiesalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:57 PM   #57
amathieu3
Earning My Ears

Love the report so far. Going on a trip with my sister in April. Though we are bringing some our kids.
amathieu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:11 PM   #58
SimplyGoofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedmom4 View Post
Thank... you...very...much...Now I must eat at Liberty Tree Tavern...the Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake looked delicious!

You two ladies take great pics! I look forward to the increasingly annoying ones that Big Sis took though.
It WAS delicious!

Thanks for the compliment on the photos! The increasingly annoyed Anika pictures are pretty darn funny...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
Hahahaha DF always does the "increasingly annoyed as the trip progresses" photos too!

Sorry to hear that you weren't a fan of your sandwich. We had the pot roast, and LOVED it! Isn't that cake awesome though???
I love that other people take those photos, too!

I may have to try the pot roast next time - I love pot roast! And yes, the cake is absolutely awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesalad View Post
Sounds like such a fantastic morning! I can't believe I have never started my day with a frozen cappuccino!! That must change next trip!!

Those photopass pics are adorable! You guys look great!

Ahhh we love philharmagic so much! I love how good it smells in there!!

The Ooey Gooey toffee cake looks amazing! I'm glad it kind of made up for your mediocre sandwich.
My cappuccino was fantastic!

We loved PhilharMagic, too! I can't believe we've never done it before.

(In case you couldn't tell from all my previous exclaimations...) that cake WAS amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amathieu3 View Post
Love the report so far. Going on a trip with my sister in April. Though we are bringing some our kids.
Thanks! I'm thrilled that you joined in!

Old 02-05-2013, 10:22 PM   #59
SimplyGoofy

Bring on the Mountains!
Day 2—Part IV

Full of Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake, it was time for more fun! We thought it might be a good idea to let our food digest a bit, so we headed over to the calm (and seated!) Hall of Presidents:

Anika LOVES the Hall of Presidents and was pretty excited to experience it again. We took a few photos before the show started, including this nice one of the atrium:

After our exploration of American presidential history, we headed for another favorite attraction that involved prolonged sitting (that cake takes some time to digest!):

I’m sure I’m not in the minority here on the DisBoards, but I LOVE the Carousel of Progress! I’m rather baffled at the folks who don’t “get” it or like it since it’s so fantastic. I’m even more baffled by the people who say their kids won’t like it since my 16 year old sister LOVES it!

When we finished singing along to the Carousel of Progress (please tell me that other people also start singing along!), we took a spin on the TTA:

Isn’t the Peoplemover the best? There’s never a wait, you get out of the sun, and there’s so much to see! I love the full, seated tour of Tomorrowland…

This is as close as we’ll be getting to this attraction:

I know it's popular with young kids, but I think until I come with young kids it's one I can pass by.

A view more views from our relaxing ride:

Before our trip, my research unfolded the fact that you could collect Fastpasses and use them any time during the day. I’m rather sad that this is no longer the case as I got pretty darn good at collecting them. Here was my Fastpass stash by 2:15 in the afternoon:

I was rather proud. It’s too bad I won’t be able to have the same collection next time (and don’t even get me started on this Fastpass Plus business…)

By this point our window was open for Buzz Lightyear!

Onward, Space Rangers!

We had fairly abysmal scores, but still had good time:

(continued in next post)

Old 02-05-2013, 10:37 PM   #60
SimplyGoofy

(continued from previous post)

It was time for to try another new ride (for us)—Splash Mountain!

We were both quite excited for another mountain adventure (as we love Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad). We had never experienced it before since Splash Mountain didn’t exist when I visited as a young child, and our last two trips have been in the winter months when it’s been under refurbishment.

I must have been a little nervous about the water and its possible effects on my camera, as this was my only Splash Mountain picture:

What did we think? While we thought it was fun (and will certainly do it each trip), we weren’t exactly overwhelmed. The storyline and scenery were interesting but it didn’t upset any of our current favorites. Perhaps I'd built up the idea of it so much since many people seem to love it?

While crossing the park to ride another mountain, we had to stop for a journey through Neverland:

I love that you ride your own ship through this ride!

After the pirate ship, it was onto the spaceship!

I didn't take any pictures of the ride itself, but did take a few of the line (and a rocket!):

We haven’t been on Space Mountain since the refurbishment and we LOVED it! I realize Space Mountain is essentially a mad mouse coaster put in the dark, but as it’s now REALLY DARK it was awesome. It’s a pretty exciting ride since you have absolutely no idea where you’re going next.

We had one final ride before we headed across the Seven Seas Lagoon:

It was time for a cruise in the jungle!

I realize the ride is a little hokey (especially when compared with the live versions over at Animal Kingdom) but I can’t imagine a Disney vacation without the Jungle Cruise.

Your skipper can make or break your cruise experience… and ours was FANTASTIC. I’m kicking myself that I didn’t record that entire cruise because she was easily the best skipper we’ve ever had. It included the usual quips, such as the “backside of water”:

A view before the tunnel:

You can't forget about the elephants (or a few elephant butts!):

Our great ride and phenomenal skipper was the perfect way to end the afternoon.

We had dinner plans at the Poly and thought it would be fun to explore the resort before dinner. We also thought it would be a nice break!

It was off to see the Poly!

Up next: Relaxing at the Polynesian

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: