Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 05:46 PM   #16
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

One of my favorite souvenirs to buy is a Disney Beach Towel from the ship or Castaway Cay...though they do take up a lot of room in a suitcase. I was soooooo tempted to "accidently bump" one of those dream pillows into my suitcase. I can only imagine what they'd charge for one of those!!!

Scrappy_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #17
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Our stateroom host looked at me strangely on day 1 when I pointed out that there was no laundry bag and I'd need to have one since I didn't want to be charged for it at the end of the cruise. Yes, check the room when you enter. Make sure you have 2 wave phones, the red pillow (new ships), laundry bag, etc. If anything that is SUPPOSED to be there is missing at the end, you will be charged...then you have to argue that it was never there to begin with. I'm probably just a jerk, but the first time they charge me for something that I didn't take will be the last time they'll see me on one of their ships. I find "the card" offensive and the implication that I'm going to steal their stuff is just inappropriate.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #18
DahliaRW
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
Our stateroom host looked at me strangely on day 1 when I pointed out that there was no laundry bag and I'd need to have one since I didn't want to be charged for it at the end of the cruise. Yes, check the room when you enter. Make sure you have 2 wave phones, the red pillow (new ships), laundry bag, etc. If anything that is SUPPOSED to be there is missing at the end, you will be charged...then you have to argue that it was never there to begin with. I'm probably just a jerk, but the first time they charge me for something that I didn't take will be the last time they'll see me on one of their ships. I find "the card" offensive and the implication that I'm going to steal their stuff is just inappropriate.
I imagine they only have the card because it's been a problem in the past. That I can understand. And if they don't warn you people can "innocently" declare they didn't know and try to get the charge reversed. I'd rather people pay for what they stole then have higher cruise fares to cover what DCL anticipates will be stolen. It's sad that people think they can just take things.
Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise January 18-25, 2014
Walt Disney World (Port Orleans Riverside) January 25-29, 2014 (Epcot, AK, MK, Epcot, HS)

DahliaRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #19
tinkerone
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy_Tink View Post
One of my favorite souvenirs to buy is a Disney Beach Towel from the ship or Castaway Cay...though they do take up a lot of room in a suitcase. I was soooooo tempted to "accidently bump" one of those dream pillows into my suitcase. I can only imagine what they'd charge for one of those!!!
the pillows sell in their shops for $200 each. bet the "accidental bump" doesn't sound so good now.....lol.
tinkerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #20
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerone View Post
the pillows sell in their shops for $200 each. bet the "accidental bump" doesn't sound so good now.....lol.
Seriously, I heard that before!! They are pretty, but so not $200 worth a pretty!! Not that I'd ever do it, I was just teasing.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #21
tinkerone
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy_Tink View Post
Seriously, I heard that before!! They are pretty, but so not $200 worth a pretty!! Not that I'd ever do it, I was just teasing.
your so right, not worth it, but they must sell. even if I had the $$ to toss at a $200 decorative pillow, I wouldn't. however, again, someone must be purchasing them.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:51 PM   #22
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Personally, I don't take it personally when the card shows up in my room. We didn't have them on our first cruise, so I'm sad that they had to start doing this. It seems to have started after the Dream & Fantasy showed up (and the ensuing "look what I found on eBay!" items were disappearing from the ships).

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:24 PM   #23
Cruise
Wake up, your month is up!;)

Quote:
, the red pillow (new ships)
Just as a note, they've apparently put these on the older ships now as well. They were on the Wonder as of 12/09/12. They were also available in the gift shop for sale.

I agree with kcasher - I find "the note" slightly offensive - as if they're saying "we already suspect you're going to do this"...no matter how nicely they try to word it.

Cruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #24
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

I WILL confess to taking Mickey Soap from the Resorts!!

Old 01-15-2013, 09:17 PM   #25
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise View Post
Just as a note, they've apparently put these on the older ships now as well. They were on the Wonder as of 12/09/12. They were also available in the gift shop for sale.

I agree with kcasher - I find "the note" slightly offensive - as if they're saying "we already suspect you're going to do this"...no matter how nicely they try to word it.
What I found jarring about the note is that it just appeared at the last night, and I couldn't tell if it was directed at me or if everyone got one. We had asked for extra pillows and an ice bucket, so I wasn't sure if it was a reminder that these things would be checked. Why not just put a permanent note in the room for the wave phone and other items? Or they could just have you sign a box at check in that you agree to pay for anything missing.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:39 PM   #26
tinkerone
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
What I found jarring about the note is that it just appeared at the last night, and I couldn't tell if it was directed at me or if everyone got one. We had asked for extra pillows and an ice bucket, so I wasn't sure if it was a reminder that these things would be checked. Why not just put a permanent note in the room for the wave phone and other items? Or they could just have you sign a box at check in that you agree to pay for anything missing.

Nancy
i do understand what your saying, please understand that, however, i would be willing to bet there has been more than a few guests who read that note and thought 'better unpack that and put it back'. as i mentioned earlier i was surprised that brents news cast mentioned it soooooo many times. to you and me its common sense, but again........there are those out there who think its okay and need a little reminder. don't take it personally.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:59 PM   #27
eyesing4u
DVC Member

Taking things out of hotel rooms is quite common in other cultures, so I wouldn't be offended by the note. I just see it as Disney's way of nicely informing people that this is wrong to do so.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:53 PM   #28
ohanaMAMA
DIS Veteran

Reminds me of when we were leaving the hospital with dd12. I asked the nurse what belonged to us and what we should leave and she said "honey, if it aint nailed to the wall, you were already charged for it, so take it away" LOL We ended up with 8 or 10 recieving blankets..a couple 6 packs of formula.. a pack of diapers.. totally offtopic.. but funny to me.
08' Mommy and Daddy ALONE on the WONDER!
'10 POR took our niece Patience with us!
'12 POFQ with the Reeses and the Stickles

ohanaMAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:21 AM   #29
mammacaryn
Don't be a JERK!

Quote:
I find "the card" offensive and the implication that I'm going to steal their stuff is just inappropriate.
Most hotels we stay in have a price chart listing the prices of towels and linens or at very least a card that states if you like the linens and would like some for your home to contact the front desk and they will supply you with prices. We don't stay at overly swanky places either. I think its pretty common because so much stuff accidentally leaves.....it's a deterrent.

January 2009 Disney Wonder-Bahamas
March 2010 Disney Magic-Western Caribbean
March 2011 Disney Dream-Bahamas

mammacaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:18 AM   #30
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerone View Post
your so right, not worth it, but they must sell. even if I had the $$ to toss at a $200 decorative pillow, I wouldn't. however, again, someone must be purchasing them.
I would imagine that the main purpose is to advertise what they will charge you if you take it from your room.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August
Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: