Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 01:41 PM   #16
Wishes Count
I Make the Magic! CP 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliSW View Post
I'm upset they all say 'approximate dates June- Jan' so I can't apply. I won't be done until the end of June
I would contact recruiting and ask them. I would think if you were the best candidate and were who they wanted they would wait for you until the end of June.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #17
delmar411
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliSW
I'm upset they all say 'approximate dates June- Jan' so I can't apply. I won't be done until the end of June
Done what at the end of June? If you are in a CP they may be willing to release you to the PI.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire
delmar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2013, 07:00 PM   #18
ks12345
Earning My Ears

I've just applied to my first Professional Internship and received an immediate email rejection? Could I have done something wrong in the application process or has this happened to other people that apply?
ks12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:06 PM   #19
AliSW
\

I'm not done with classes until June :/
I did email them asking about start dates though!
AliSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:01 PM   #20
Wishes Count

Last edited by Wishes Count; 01-31-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Wishes Count is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:36 PM   #21
Wishes Count

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks12345 View Post
I've just applied to my first Professional Internship and received an immediate email rejection? Could I have done something wrong in the application process or has this happened to other people that apply?

It could be that you didn't meet the qualifications. I've heard that they use tracking software to scan resumes, so you need to tailor your resume to each specific resume.

Were you rejected for more than one? Are there others you are still interested in applying to? If so I would apply for another with a more carefully crafted resume
Old 01-31-2013, 07:37 PM   #22
Wishes Count

So now that the positions have been posted for a few days, What ones are you interested in applying to?

I haven't applied yet, as I'm trying to make sure my resume and digital portfolio are just right but I am interested in

Lodging MI

Alumni Only: Guest Relations, Park Event Operations Assistant, Cast Activities, Events and Recognition. (Maybe Guest Correspondence or Services for Guests with Disabilities)

Regular PIs:
Catering and Convention Services
Disney Fairytale Weddings
Recruitment Marketing Graphic Design Internship
Distribution Marketing Services Graphic Design Internship
Disney Institute Graphic Design Internship
Graphic Design - Communications Internship
Communications Internship
Yellow Shoes Associate Art Director/Graphic Design Internship

Maybe this one - Yellow Shoes Associate Copywriter Internship

It seems like a lot but but 4 of the Graphic Design ones are essentially the same position, just in different departments. I know they say you shouldn't apply to a lot because it makes you look bad, but I can't see the difference in only apply to 2 vs all 4 if they are essentially the same position.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:36 PM   #23
njbeaven
Fall 2011 PI Hopeful!

I did the Conservation Education Presenter PI back in Fall of 2011 and applied for Guest Relations and Theme Park Ops Mgmt.

This is my blog: http://nickwdwfall2011.blogspot.com
njbeaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #24
HyperionDreamer
Mouseketeer

Disappointed not to see any availabilities in Imagineering, or any other opportunities for those with a background in architecture, design or construction management. I was really excited to try for an Imagineering PI, but after some further research, it sounds like internships in Imagineering only open up on an "as-needed basis." There go my immediate plans for working for Disney my first few months out of college when I graduate this spring... unless I either do a second CP or try for a PI in a field I don't have experience in, which I might at this point.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:57 PM   #25
delmar411
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks12345 View Post
it happens when you answer no to any of those questions at the end of the application. Like if it asks if you are fluent in another language and you say no, then you are out. Or it asks if you can do or are familiar with xyz (something specific to the job) and you say no, then you are out.

I had one go instant NLIC but I knew it would when it asked about other languages.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire
Old 02-01-2013, 06:59 PM   #26
delmar411
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionDreamer View Post
Disappointed not to see any availabilities in Imagineering, or any other opportunities for those with a background in architecture, design or construction management. I was really excited to try for an Imagineering PI, but after some further research, it sounds like internships in Imagineering only open up on an "as-needed basis." There go my immediate plans for working for Disney my first few months out of college when I graduate this spring... unless I either do a second CP or try for a PI in a field I don't have experience in, which I might at this point.
I'm surprised there isn't something. Did you search by keyword or look through each and every one? I originally searched by keyword and it missed 2 that I found by going page by page.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:09 PM   #27
delmar411
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishes Count View Post
So now that the positions have been posted for a few days, What ones are you interested in applying to?

I haven't applied yet, as I'm trying to make sure my resume and digital portfolio are just right but I am interested in

Lodging MI

Alumni Only: Guest Relations, Park Event Operations Assistant, Cast Activities, Events and Recognition. (Maybe Guest Correspondence or Services for Guests with Disabilities)

Regular PIs:
Catering and Convention Services
Disney Fairytale Weddings
Recruitment Marketing Graphic Design Internship
Distribution Marketing Services Graphic Design Internship
Disney Institute Graphic Design Internship
Graphic Design - Communications Internship
Communications Internship
Yellow Shoes Associate Art Director/Graphic Design Internship

Maybe this one - Yellow Shoes Associate Copywriter Internship

It seems like a lot but but 4 of the Graphic Design ones are essentially the same position, just in different departments. I know they say you shouldn't apply to a lot because it makes you look bad, but I can't see the difference in only apply to 2 vs all 4 if they are essentially the same position.
Unless you've worked as a caterer or as a wedding planner, I wouldn't waste my time applying for those. They are extremely competitive esp the wedding one and very highly qualified people still get NLIC'd. There are only 2-4 spots for the wedding one each semester. And they make no sense as everything else you are looking at is graphic design.

I would narrow your focus to the graphic design ones. Focus on figuring out how you will explain to/show them that you meet each and every one of the preferred and basic qualifications on each and every internship you apply for. Show them how bringing you onto the team will make their department work better and how your experience/skills sets you apart from the crowd.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:30 AM   #28
ashdanielle
Earning My Ears

Red face

I am so glad that someone has started this thread! I am currently in the process of applying for professional internships for the first time and reading some of the old threads have been so helpful and insightful to the process and what to expect! It's also really nice to hear that everyone is in the same boat as me!

My name is Ashley and I am still currently "in progress" for a lodging management internship and college alumni internship (I completed two internships in housekeeping in 2008 & 2010). I have my first phone interview this Thursday at 11:30 and I am so nervous!! If any of you have already gone through you interview any advice would be really helpful!!

I just wanted to introduce myself and thank everyone for posting on this thread. It's really helpful!
ashdanielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #29
Wishes Count

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmar411 View Post
Unless you've worked as a caterer or as a wedding planner, I wouldn't waste my time applying for those. They are extremely competitive esp the wedding one and very highly qualified people still get NLIC'd. There are only 2-4 spots for the wedding one each semester. And they make no sense as everything else you are looking at is graphic design.
I have two years experience in event planning, where I was the sole person in charge of planning events for groups of 20 to 300. I have a broad range of skills because I have 2 majors and 2 minors. Hopefully by looking at my resume it makes sense.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #30
delmar411
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishes Count View Post
I have two years experience in event planning, where I was the sole person in charge of planning events for groups of 20 to 300. I have a broad range of skills because I have 2 majors and 2 minors. Hopefully by looking at my resume it makes sense.
As long as it makes sense by your resume then go for it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: