Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Disney Discount Codes and Rates
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 01:26 PM   #106
asmit4
DIS Veteran

What I can afford or what I think is 'price gouging' is irrelevant. The ONLY goal of Disney (and ALL companies) is to make as much $ as possible. DW is about supply and demand. If you can sell out all of your rooms for $200 a night you'd do it, BUT if you can STILL sell all of those same rooms for $300 you'd do it! You sell at the top price that demand will accept.

Each family has to decide what a trip to DW/staying onsite is worth to you. You have to figure out your own demand for the product Many have said it's too much $ and the hotels are not fancy/large enough (and I personally agree with them)....so they do not bother staying onsite anymore. I also know many who think DW is horrifically expensive, hate the planning and will never take their kids there- onsite or offsite.

If enough people start to feel like those above, disney will have to reduce their pricing. Until then- DW is what it is- a BUSINESS who's ONLY interest is to MAKE MONEY. DW provides a fantasy world for all of us disney lovers but do not EVER forget what the #1 GOAL is and ALWAYS will be.....MAKE money. (and as stockholder myself- I'm cool with that
November 2013- Wyndham Bonnet Creek/AS Sports
October 2014- DVC- Saratoga Springs/Wyndham BC
asmit4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:09 PM   #107
tink1953
Tink rocks!!!!!!!

I think someone had posted that if people stopped booking a reservation in hopes of getting a code or discount then Disney might give better offers to get people to book?? They don't see the need to discount resorts that are full or close to being full

tink1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-31-2013, 06:16 PM   #108
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink1953 View Post
I think someone had posted that if people stopped booking a reservation in hopes of getting a code or discount then Disney might give better offers to get people to book?? They don't see the need to discount resorts that are full or close to being full
It's not Disney's first rodeo - they account for the number of bookings that will cancel without a discount. They know how it works.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:16 PM   #109
HippieChickadee
Mouseketeer

I agree.

Let's take a family of 4.

at a value resort 5 nights- approximately $120 a night

Park 5 day tickets (we will round and not add the extra $57 dollars for hopper) $260

So without food, we are at $1640 that doesn't include airfare or gas depending on how they get there

Just adding the dinning plan for 5 days that's an added $1100 making the trip $2740 dollars for a family of 4!!!!!!!!!
HippieChickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:19 PM   #110
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieChickadee View Post
I agree.

Let's take a family of 4.

at a value resort 5 nights- approximately $120 a night

Park 5 day tickets (we will round and not add the extra $57 dollars for hopper) $260

So without food, we are at $1640 that doesn't include airfare or gas depending on how they get there

Just adding the dinning plan for 5 days that's an added $1100 making the trip $2740 dollars for a family of 4!!!!!!!!!
That honestly doesn't seem unreasonable to me at all.

If we go to Myrtle Beach for a week we're paying around $1000 for the hotel for the week. We eat dinner out each night as a family and get groceries for inside the condo or whatever for the day. Toss in some entertainment and we're easily at that price.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:27 PM   #111
HippieChickadee
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
That honestly doesn't seem unreasonable to me at all.

If we go to Myrtle Beach for a week we're paying around $1000 for the hotel for the week. We eat dinner out each night as a family and get groceries for inside the condo or whatever for the day. Toss in some entertainment and we're easily at that price.
Right. But not everyone is as well off as you.

MOST families don't have almost 3 grand to spend on a vacation but Disney is DISNEY. The happiest place on earth. Where memories are made. (fill in any other line you can remember from Disney ads).

It's just a sad thought to me that only those who think 1000 dollars for a resort for a week, as you said, is not unreasonable.

I say, for many, it's not possible.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:40 PM   #112
jsrj21
Frathouse

I agree with most on this thread. I was just mentioning to my wife the other day that we will probably never be able to stay at a resort above moderate. I'm a teacher - enough said! Even so, my DW, DS, and me usually do a 10-day trip with room, MYW w/park hopper, water park, etc and spend about $5000.00 after airfare etc. Prices are definitely getting out of reach at other resorts we'd love to stay at, specifically Poly and AKL.

Many have mentioned the reality of WDW being a business and that is very true. However, I wonder if at some point the average family will be able to really afford a one-week vacation at WDW. That's why we cherish and feel blessed that we can go for the foreseeable future. The memories have been priceless!
July 2001 -CBR, July 2002 - CBR, July 2003 - CBR, August 2004 - CBR, August 2006 - CBR, August 2007 - CBR, August 2008 - CBR, August 2009 - CBR, August 2010 - CBR, Xmas 2010 - [One Day @ MK], August 2011 - CBR, August 2013 - CBR, August 2014 - CBR [Son's HS Grad Trip], and I pray for many more visits to come......
jsrj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:15 PM   #113
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:

MOST families don't have almost 3 grand to spend on a vacation but Disney is DISNEY. The happiest place on earth. Where memories are made. (fill in any other line you can remember from Disney ads).

It's just a sad thought to me that only those who think 1000 dollars for a resort for a week, as you said, is not unreasonable.

We will just have to agree to disagree then I guess. Even if I couldn't afford the prices you mentioned, it would seem unreasonable... I just wouldn't be able to afford it.

When you're throwing all these components into the mix (hotel, food, entertainment/tickts, etc) it has to be anticipated that you aren't going to walk out paying $1500 for a family of 4. But it's not unattainable. It's not half of someone's yearly salary just for a vacation.

And you certainly don't have to feel $1000 for a resort a week is fine to vacation at Disney. There are plenty of places for less off property. If someone feels comfortable spending $30/night for a room somewhere nearby it is available. I think the Best Western we stayed at on the drive home one year was around $75 for the night for far less than what Disney gives for a room... Disney being around $95 for a value isn't outrageous for what it is.

What's the average vacation budget for a family of 4?
Old 01-31-2013, 07:22 PM   #114
RainK
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFFYCAT View Post
I find Disney no more expensive then some other vacation spots.

Maybe because I'm in New York and used to "expensive" hotels.
$300 a night for a run down cabin in Lake George, $200 for a hotel in Cortland, NY is common.

So the budgets at $100 and mods at $175 in Disney seem good to me.
Noone sqays people have to stay deluxe.

It's the airfare that I dislike the most.

I agree with you. Coming from Boston, we go back to Disney because it IS so affordable for our family of 4. (especially if you get a discount). There is something to do for everyone.
We stay in Values mostly, don't rent a car, and check airfare prices daily to get best rates.
We are used to $200 + a night hotels in this area so $95 for a Disney resort is a steal!!!

August 2013 Beach Club
August 2011 POP
May 2010 CBR
October 2008 ASMO
September 2006 & 2007 POP
Previous 2 visits off site
RainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:24 PM   #115
WILDERNESS FAN 55
CANNOT GET ENOUGH

Quote:

You are correct that not all can afford but that is not Disney's fault or problem. They created the AllStars with the knowledge that more people with lower incomes could enjoy their parks from their grounds(angering many of the Days Inn operations!) At times those rooms are $69-$79 per night. That's about as low as they are going to go. People with lower incomes obviously neec to prioritize what's important in their life and odds are it's not a WDW vacation every year.....but it may be every OTHER year or every 3rd year. They need to go the time of year when prices are lower. And when adding up a cost you can't blame Disney for gas or airline costs! I know it's part of a vacation but they have no control about that. P.S. A dining plan would be the last thing a guest with little resources should buy. Earl of Sandwich instead!

Off site 72-76-76-77-78(MM 50th b-day) 79-81-82-85-86 FW-84-86-88-90-90-91-92-95-96
Poly 87 GF 88 CR 90 CBR 91-06-10
Disney Inn 93 ASM 95-96-02 CS 98
POFQ 97 DIXIE Landing 00 POR 07-08 WL-11
DL-Honeymoon-77 03 OKW -13 BLT-13 BWV-13
Trips planned 2015 WDW 2016 Aulani 2017 WDW XMAS
WILDERNESS FAN 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:17 PM   #116
Laketravis
FP+ is just fantastic, that is really what I think. Oh by the way - which one's Pink?

I'll say this - no matter which side of the fence you are on, worth it or not worth it, can afford it or not afford it.....there are a LOT of posts popping up lately on this and other forums about how expensive WDW is becoming.

So perception at some point becomes reality. If I were Disney, I'd be a little worried at this point. I think they are basing their long term pricing strategy on short term resurgence due to pent up demand. Many people postponed their WDW visits during the four years from 2008-2012. Now, for a variety of economic reasons, they are back with a vengeance and increased park attendance is a fluke - many of those visitors won't be back next year, or even the year after that - because (I know it's a shock) not everyone goes to WDW once a year. In fact, those of use who do are a tiny minority.

And I do agree that other destinations aren't cheap either. Even Vegas isn't the cheap getaway it used to be (I stayed at the Cosmo twice last year, had lunch with Larry Flynt, just not at the same table. But his gold plated wheelchair was within kicking distance and I couldn't believe how it's now fashionable in Vegas to charge as much as possible for as little as possible).

Of course, at those other destinations I don't have to wait an hour in line for anything or make dining reservations six months in advance, but that's a whole other topic.......

Last edited by Laketravis; 01-31-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Laketravis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:21 PM   #117
HippieChickadee
Mouseketeer

Whether you agree or disagree that 2000+ dollars on a family vacation is a lot of money or not... one thing we can agree on without a doubt is that an AVERAGE family cannot afford it.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:47 PM   #118
WILDERNESS FAN 55
CANNOT GET ENOUGH

I disagree that 2000.00 is a lot .If a family wants/needs that time with each other than it is worth the money. Again maybe not every year but what they get out of it can be worth more than the money spent.

Off site 72-76-76-77-78(MM 50th b-day) 79-81-82-85-86 FW-84-86-88-90-90-91-92-95-96
Old 01-31-2013, 08:59 PM   #119
WILDERNESS FAN 55
CANNOT GET ENOUGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laketravis View Post
I'll say this - no matter which side of the fence you are on, worth it or not worth it, can afford it or not afford it.....there are a LOT of posts popping up lately on this and other forums about how expensive WDW is becoming.

So perception at some point becomes reality. If I were Disney, I'd be a little worried at this point. I think they are basing their long term pricing strategy on short term resurgence due to pent up demand. Many people postponed their WDW visits during the four years from 2008-2012. Now, for a variety of economic reasons, they are back with a vengeance and increased park attendance is a fluke - many of those visitors won't be back next year, or even the year after that - because (I know it's a shock) not everyone goes to WDW once a year. In fact, those of use who do are a tiny minority.

And I do agree that other destinations aren't cheap either. Even Vegas isn't the cheap getaway it used to be (I stayed at the Cosmo twice last year, had lunch with Larry Flynt, just not at the same table. But his gold plated wheelchair was within kicking distance and I couldn't believe how it's now fashionable in Vegas to charge as much as possible for as little as possible).

Of course, at those other destinations I don't have to wait an hour in line for anything or make dining reservations six months in advance, but that's a whole other topic.......
I disagree on the "fluke" statement. Many many people are repeat customers and have been for a long time.And there are so many new families that "can't wait" to take their kids to the Happiest Place on Earth.
I live in Ill and just about every summer we head up to Wisc....I wish I could make dinner resv 6 months in advance so I wouldn't wait an hour just to eat!
Also my last 7-8 trips to WDW were all in Jan or Nov and the lines those times of year are really short except for the slow loading rides like SOARIN. I know not everybody can go "off" season, but highly recommended if long lines are a problem.
Damn I swore I wasn't going to reply on this thread anymore. Gotta get back to the FP+ thread

Old 01-31-2013, 09:07 PM   #120
RD-SOX
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazertechie View Post
The average price of gas in January 2001 was $1.45/gallon. The average price of gas this week this year is $3.30/gallon That's a 127% increase

The rack rate of a standard room at AKL the last week of January this year is $313 a night. That's a 124% increase.
I wish my paycheck increased like that!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: