Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Disney Discount Codes and Rates
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #31
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdisney77 View Post
uh oh...(ducking for cover)
Ahhhh, just a comment from someone trying to stir the pot.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #32
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by spel View Post
Yes. We can't afford it. So we stay off-site and really love it. Tons of space, beautiful resort, separate bedroom for the kids, washer & dryer. And we like the flexibility of having a car and not relying in the buses.
As an AP holder, I go to WDW 4-6 times a year. I love WDW but for the first time we stayed offsite this past Oct/Nov. I always swore I would never stay offsite. However, we loved it so much, we have decided all of our trips will be offsite from now on. I came straight back and booked a one bedroom villa at Bonnet Creek for my upcoming May trip. I normally stay at the moderates, but if I can get a one bedroom villa with a fully equipped kitchen cheaper than I could even a value room (much less my preferred moderate) why wouldn't I. Even with the discounts Disney is offering now, my current reservation for a one bedroom at Bonnet Creek is still cheaper. I think Disney has finally ran us to offsite. I prefer having a rental car to using Disney's crowded buses and have an AP, so don't have to pay for parking. We can get better, but cheaper meals right offsite. With Disney's increasing prices for room and meals, staying onsite has lost it's appeal. I don't agree with the poster who says his 2 y/o daughter is going to stay 2 y/o for the next two years. Cheating Disney is wrong and is not the answer. Those of us that think Disney prices are too high need to speak out by spending our resort dollars and meal dollars elsewhere. Maybe then Disney will lower their prices.

Last edited by aubriee; 01-15-2013 at 01:16 PM.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2013, 01:18 PM   #33
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laketravis View Post
There are gradual price increases to cover costs and margins, and then there are substantial price increases intended to test the markets elasticity.

What I've seen over the last three years is the latter. Disney is most definitely testing the limits of perceived value by reducing or eliminating discounts and raising prices by double digit percentages.

Unfortunately, until it impacts demand, someone at corporate is getting slapped on the back for their ingeniousness:

"Dang, Fred! All this time we could have been charging THIS MUCH? !!!"

This year, I'm staying off site. I'll free up yet another space onsite for a Disney Apologist who's pleas for "Thank you, sir...May I pay even more?" will be happily accomodated.

Sorry, that makes no sense. I'd like to see what evidence you have..
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:03 PM   #34
emerald51362
Mouseketeer

Where has everyone stayed off site
emerald51362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #35
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
I always wonder why, when you can see how something makes sense from a business standpoint, that makes you a Disney Apologist. No one likes to pay more for anything. It is just some of us can see how it makes sense from the other side of the paycheck. Doesn't mean we like it, just that we understand it.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:26 PM   #36
maxiesmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald51362 View Post
Where has everyone stayed off site
We have stayed off site a few times. Always at the Staybridge Suites, LBV. It is right by Down Town Disney. We can get a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom unit with a full kitchen for around $200 a night. Usually less. And that includes a continental breakfast. They have a park shuttle too, but we have never used it.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:31 PM   #37
OklahomaTourist
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arielfan View Post
Is it just me or is the pricing to stay on property getting crazy?? Even with 30% off to the general public is nuts!! Discounted price to stay at Animal Kingdom is over $300 a night, really and a moderate is nearly $200.00 a night! They are making it very hard for a family too take a vacation there. Any thoughts....
Whether prices are "nuts" is probably dependent on the person/family, but I can agree with you that they're trending that way. I can offer personally we've opted to curtail our trip this year because of the price increases.

We've been to Disney four times previously, and stayed at SSR the last three. We've enjoyed staying there tremendously, but when I booked the trip this time, the price for the 7-day stay we wanted was close to 30% higher than our last visit (give or take, haven't done the hard numbers). And that's with the 30% discount! (Caveat - we have a party of five including my mom, and that drives a need for a place like SSR rather than a Moderate like POR, or even a value like one of the All-Stars).

My wife and I thought long and hard about that kind of cash. We even considered (and priced) a really nice off-property location we've used that would have saved us about 60% each day. Mind you, I've always been one to tell people to stay on property. But, this time, I actually *had* to consider off-site.

After much consideration, contrasting the hassle of off-property versus the length and cost of our stay, we decided to shorten the visit from a 7-day to a 5-day. Although we hated the idea of the shorter stay, we hated the idea of staying off property even more. I hated to shorten our trip, but pricing made it a practical necessity in our case. And its not like we've gone cheapskate - we're still dropping a huge wad of cash in Mickey's pocket...
OklahomaTourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:41 PM   #38
maxiesmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklahomaTourist View Post

We've been to Disney four times previously, and stayed at SSR the last three. We've enjoyed staying there tremendously, but when I booked the trip this time, the price for the 7-day stay we wanted was close to 30% higher than our last visit (give or take, haven't done the hard numbers). And that's with the 30% discount! (Caveat - we have a party of five including my mom, and that drives a need for a place like SSR rather than a Moderate like POR, or even a value like one of the All-Stars).
I'm not sure if it would appeal to you, but you could get a Family Suite at ASMU for much less than even a studio at SSR. Many of my trips to WDW are as part of a family of 6, so I know once you get over the standard 4 people, finding cheapish accommodations becomes even harder than usual.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:50 PM   #39
Laketravis
FP is just fantastic, that is really what I think. Oh by the way.. which one's Pink?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
I'm sorry. What part did you not understand?

In regards to evidence, simply Google "Disney Profitability". You'll see plenty of results.

For instance (and certainly not indicative of all of them):

"...per-room spending rose 6 percent on higher rates and fewer discounted room nights. Disney Co. Chief Financial Officer Jay Rasulo called the results "further evidence" that the company's efforts to wean travelers off of promotions "continues to pay off."

And that is over a year old, before the most recent double-digit increases in some rack rates and re-alignment of pricing seasons.

It's called "testing the market". Kind of like squeezing a pig until it screams.

So far, nobody is screaming loud enough.

Gotta hand it to Disney, though. Whether you agree with it or not, the type of brand loyalty they instill in some of their customers (admirers?) is amazing.
Laketravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #40
gratefulfred
Mouseketeer

I just saw on another site that they took away the no expiration option on the tickets yesterday. If true isn't this another attempt to squeeze every penny out of their guest. My plan for next visit was to buy 10 day no expiration tickets so I could have 2 future visits at today's prices. They are probably planning on breaking the 100 dollar mark in the next few months and want to take away the ability to save a few dollars for the future by eliminating it now. As far as cedar point being expensive the entire industry follows disneys lead when disney raises prices they all do shortly after, not because they need to but because disney sets what they can get away with
gratefulfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:45 PM   #41
maxiesmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefulfred View Post
I just saw on another site that they took away the no expiration option on the tickets yesterday. If true isn't this another attempt to squeeze every penny out of their guest. My plan for next visit was to buy 10 day no expiration tickets so I could have 2 future visits at today's prices. They are probably planning on breaking the 100 dollar mark in the next few months and want to take away the ability to save a few dollars for the future by eliminating it now. As far as cedar point being expensive the entire industry follows disneys lead when disney raises prices they all do shortly after, not because they need to but because disney sets what they can get away with
If you were only using the tickets over 2 trips, non expiring tickets wouldn't have saved you much, if anything. We booked a bounceback during our trip in December, so I checked to see if it would have saved us money to upgrade the 5 day hoppers we had to 10 day non expiring hoppers then and there. It wouldn't have.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #42
Disney-Kim

Always planning our next trip !!

YES, I agree Disney's prices have gone nuts. I posted this a while back and got a little jumped on just like you are....but we have been going to Disney for many many years and the prices this last 2 yrs have gone really high for rack rate.
yes, there are discounts...but for many of us the discounted prices are the same as rack was just a couple years ago. I am not talking 5-10 yrs ago...I am talking 2-3....

In comparison.....we paid about $360 per night for a garden view jr suite at the Royal Hawaiian in Waikiki this year, for about $100 more a night we could have had the ocean view. ok thats $460 night for an ocean view jr suite at a 5 Diamond top rated in HI hotel...ocean front. this was a AAA rate.

now Disney....$428 a night for the Polynesian Garden view, $575 night for lagoon view...this is with 30% too

~ WDW Boardwalk Inn May 13 ~Disneyland GCH Sept 12 ~ Disneyland GCH Nov 2011 ~ CBR May 2010 ~Polynesian Sept 09 ~ POR May09 ~ VWL May08 ~ Polynesian May07 ~ BCV May06 ~ VWL May05 ~ VWL May04 ~ BWV May 03~ Yacht Club Concierge Sept 02 ~ Polynesian Concierge for our Honeymoon May 02 ~ Beach Club 09/01 ~ CSR, POR, POFQ, and CBR on our previous trips back to 1992~
Disney-Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:07 PM   #43
gratefulfred
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
If you were only using the tickets over 2 trips, non expiring tickets wouldn't have saved you much, if anything. We booked a bounceback during our trip in December, so I checked to see if it would have saved us money to upgrade the 5 day hoppers we had to 10 day non expiring hoppers then and there. It wouldn't have.
In september i checked the price of a 10 day non exp park hopper with water park and it came to $57 a day. In five or six years when they are way past the $100 a day tickets i'm gonna really regret not getting these
gratefulfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #44
pjhootch
Mouseketeer

There is a difference between discussing and complaining, I guess. Nothing wrong with discussing how expensive Disney is getting. Everyone on these boards likes going or is planning to go, so probably not many Disney haters around.

I've always liked going and have taken budget trips and blow out trips. It depends on finances and mood. However, I do like to feel like my money is well spent. That is entirely subjective, no doubt. It is impossible to quantify "value" in the same way for all of the individuals on this board.

What is nuts for me to pay is clearly worth it for someone else. I won't pay for water unless someone is dehydrating. Even then, I may make them walk around looking for a water fountain! If I have to break down and buy a bottle of water, they better save that puppy and fill it up at the next fountain!

I really do think the room prices are getting out of line once you get beyond the value resorts at the rock bottom value season. I think the sit down restaurants are outrageous for the quality of the food that is served, but sometimes we go to the nicer restaurants just to enjoy the ambience and we deal with the price.

As for where we've stayed off site, I barely remember now. Embassy Suites, Quality Suites, The Safari place... Comfort Suites. We started out as a family of 2 adults, one older child and twins 10 years younger. Now we are all adults and have to book 2 rooms- we just adjust.

Naturally we expect Disney to be in the money making business, and no one is better at sucking the money than the Mouse. Being patient, doing research and not getting caught up in the frenzy of buying unnecessary trinkets all help save money.
pjhootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #45
PrincessAlways
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubriee View Post
As an AP holder, I go to WDW 4-6 times a year. I love WDW but for the first time we stayed offsite this past Oct/Nov. I always swore I would never stay offsite. However, we loved it so much, we have decided all of our trips will be offsite from now on. I came straight back and booked a one bedroom villa at Bonnet Creek for my upcoming May trip. I normally stay at the moderates, but if I can get a one bedroom villa with a fully equipped kitchen cheaper than I could even a value room (much less my preferred moderate) why wouldn't I. Even with the discounts Disney is offering now, my current reservation for a one bedroom at Bonnet Creek is still cheaper. I think Disney has finally ran us to offsite. I prefer having a rental car to using Disney's crowded buses and have an AP, so don't have to pay for parking. We can get better, but cheaper meals right offsite. With Disney's increasing prices for room and meals, staying onsite has lost it's appeal. I don't agree with the poster who says his 2 y/o daughter is going to stay 2 y/o for the next two years. Cheating Disney is wrong and is not the answer. Those of us that think Disney prices are too high need to speak out by spending our resort dollars and meal dollars elsewhere. Maybe then Disney will lower their prices.
Very well said!! I'm an AP holder too. Haven't stayed offsite in quite awhile, but this may be an option for the future. I'm trying to set up an April trip & waiting for AP rates is making me crazy!
POR, 2003 OKW,2004 Poly, 2005 SSR (June), Pop (Sept), CSR (Nov), 2006 OKW (May), Swan (Sept), OKW (Nov), 2007 Pop (Feb), OKW (June), CR (Sept), BWV (Nov), 2008 CSR (April), OKW (July), SSR (Dec)2009 Pop (March) OKW (May) BLT (Nov), 2010 BLT (May) AKL (Oct) 2011 SWAN (March) BLT (June) AKL (Nov) OKW (Nov) 2012 BWI (March) OKW (May) POR Royal (Oct) OKW (Nov) 2013 BWV (Apr) offsite (July) Kidani (Dec) 2014 AKL (April)
PrincessAlways is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: