Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Disney Discount Codes and Rates
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 10:19 PM   #166
Huff
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,706

True we can afford to go to WDW if we give up a yearly week long family vacation for a year or two to save up enough. Kids are growing up fast so thats not going to happen. We're gonna go on vacation but it won't be to Disney this year most likely unless theres some steep discounts. Really would like to but Disney high rates plus airfare make it several $1000 more to go and thats beyond our budget.
__________________
1979-2012 Disneyland AP'ers
2005 Offsite
2006 POP
2007 POP
2008 POP
2010 POP
2011 POP
2012 POP
2014 POP
Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:22 PM   #167
DIS B
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 101

For over 20 years I have stayed on property and loved it (many of those years, I was not footing the bill, as I was too young), but we have been finding more offsite properties lately. We go quite often since we are FL residents and AP holders, so Disney is usually a weekend destination for us. I love staying on site and am a Deluxe girl because we spend time at our hotel. Plus, we have a young child and the transportation is much easier on the boats and monorail (read: don't have to fold up strollers). For us, it's that the prices have jumped so high over such a short period that its frustrating and off-putting. We are going the same dates this summer as last and are paying over $100 more a night. Same hotel, same dates, same view. I don't care how much $ you have, it's pretty tough to swallow that increase. People who are good with $ and have $ want to get the most for their money. All I'm getting for $100 more a night is another years wear and tear on the room.

I really think I'm going to write a letter to Disney and just tell them how I feel. It might do nothing, but maybe if they keep hearing it and less rooms are booked, things will change. Also, to the poster who said something about getting discounts, I have two thoughts on that:
1. Pass holders have always received discounts
2. They are the new Kohl's. They have raised their base prices because they know people feel better when they are getting a discount, even though they jack up prices to come out the same. Case in point: JCPenney's new structuring flopped.
DIS B is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-02-2013, 12:04 AM   #168
WILDERNESS FAN 55
CANNOT GET ENOUGH
 
WILDERNESS FAN 55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 862

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIS B View Post
For over 20 years I have stayed on property and loved it (many of those years, I was not footing the bill, as I was too young), but we have been finding more offsite properties lately. We go quite often since we are FL residents and AP holders, so Disney is usually a weekend destination for us. I love staying on site and am a Deluxe girl because we spend time at our hotel. Plus, we have a young child and the transportation is much easier on the boats and monorail (read: don't have to fold up strollers). For us, it's that the prices have jumped so high over such a short period that its frustrating and off-putting. We are going the same dates this summer as last and are paying over $100 more a night. Same hotel, same dates, same view. I don't care how much $ you have, it's pretty tough to swallow that increase. People who are good with $ and have $ want to get the most for their money. All I'm getting for $100 more a night is another years wear and tear on the room.

I really think I'm going to write a letter to Disney and just tell them how I feel. It might do nothing, but maybe if they keep hearing it and less rooms are booked, things will change. Also, to the poster who said something about getting discounts, I have two thoughts on that:
1. Pass holders have always received discounts
2. They are the new Kohl's. They have raised their base prices because they know people feel better when they are getting a discount, even though they jack up prices to come out the same. Case in point: JCPenney's new structuring flopped.
You're getting all the refurbishments in the parks and the grounds . Also new Fantasyland. That's what you're getting for that extra $. Go ahead and write the letter if it makes you feel good but WDW is selling those rooms at a high pace.
__________________
We're not the only people on this Island and we all know it!

Off site 72-76-76-77-78(MM 50th b-day) 79-81-82-85-86 FW-84-86-88-90-90-91-92-95-96
Poly 87 GF 88 CR 90 CBR 91-06-10
Disney Inn 93 ASM 95-96-02 CS 98
POFQ 97 DIXIE Landing 00 POR 07-08 WL-11
DL-Honeymoon-77 03 OKW -13 BLT-13 BWV-13
Trips planned 2015 WDW 2016 Aulani 2017 WDW XMAS
WILDERNESS FAN 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:33 AM   #169
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders
 
maxiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The West side of the mitten
Posts: 22,929

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIS B View Post

I really think I'm going to write a letter to Disney and just tell them how I feel. It might do nothing, but maybe if they keep hearing it and less rooms are booked, things will change. Also, to the poster who said something about getting discounts, I have two thoughts on that:
1. Pass holders have always received discounts
2. They are the new Kohl's. They have raised their base prices because they know people feel better when they are getting a discount, even though they jack up prices to come out the same. Case in point: JCPenney's new structuring flopped.
If they are the new Kohl's, then why are they not offering discounts hand over fist? They have cut way back on the specials they offer.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:55 AM   #170
DIS B
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDERNESS FAN 55 View Post
You're getting all the refurbishments in the parks and the grounds . Also new Fantasyland. That's what you're getting for that extra $. Go ahead and write the letter if it makes you feel good but WDW is selling those rooms at a high pace.
No, that's what my park ticket gets me. As far as the hotel refurb, the Poly hasn't been redone in quite some time, so I'm not on board with your statement.
DIS B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #171
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran
 
Mousemommy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 11,157

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIS B View Post
No, that's what my park ticket gets me. As far as the hotel refurb, the Poly hasn't been redone in quite some time, so I'm not on board with your statement.
It's being done right now.
__________________
(DH) (ME) (DD10) (DD8) (DS Due 1/12/15!!)



PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:02 AM   #172
DIS B
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
If they are the new Kohl's, then why are they not offering discounts hand over fist? They have cut way back on the specials they offer.
Well, my point was since 2004 FL residents and AP holders always got 40% off and the base prices were much lower. They since hiked the base price drastically (not the usual $5-10 more a night)and lowered the discount for us. There was nothing wrong with the economy in 2004, so it makes me think they are just getting greedy.
DIS B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #173
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders
 
maxiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The West side of the mitten
Posts: 22,929

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIS B View Post
Well, my point was since 2004 FL residents and AP holders always got 40% off and the base prices were much lower. They since hiked the base price drastically (not the usual $5-10 more a night)and lowered the discount for us. There was nothing wrong with the economy in 2004, so it makes me think they are just getting greedy.
Any business is open to make as much money as they can. Calling a business greedy is like blaming snow for being white. It is what it is.

To me it sounds like their discounts were more than generous to start with. Can't blame them for cutting back. I know many businesses have. Even Barnes and Nobles has cut down on member discounts.

Last edited by maxiesmom; 03-02-2013 at 10:53 AM.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #174
WLSILVERCREEKSPRINGS
DIS Veteran
 
WLSILVERCREEKSPRINGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 711

Despite higher prices, Disney is filling the rooms, so they're doing what they are supposed to do. Fill the rooms at the most profitable rate that the market will bear.

Disney is not the only ones to do this, the resort that we stay at in Myrtle Beach raises their rates every year, the dog food we buy has gone up over 20% in the last 4 months, despite the government's insistance that we don't have inflation, prices are rising and they will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by WLSILVERCREEKSPRINGS; 03-02-2013 at 11:23 AM. Reason: sp
WLSILVERCREEKSPRINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:20 PM   #175
Tink415
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 971

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
If they are the new Kohl's, then why are they not offering discounts hand over fist? They have cut way back on the specials they offer.
I booked for next month today. I was able to get 30% off on Disney's website. I found out a few hours later I could get another 20% off using Orbitz. Many many resorts were available.
Tink415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:22 PM   #176
Huff
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,706

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLSILVERCREEKSPRINGS View Post
the dog food we buy has gone up over 20% in the last 4 months, despite the government's insistance that we don't have inflation, prices are rising and they will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.
While true its looking sad except for those that are fortunate to be rather wealthy. We used to make yearly vacations to WDW and stay for 7-10 days each trip and loved every minute. Disney has priced us out of being able to do that any longer. We have to save for a few years, cut the number of days, stay offsite, eat cheaper meals etc. or decide to vacation elsewhere when weighing the value for our money. True, Disney is a business and are going to maximize their profits. Still sad that so many can no longer enjoy what Disney has to offer.
__________________
1979-2012 Disneyland AP'ers
2005 Offsite
2006 POP
2007 POP
2008 POP
2010 POP
2011 POP
2012 POP
2014 POP
Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:24 PM   #177
WILDERNESS FAN 55
CANNOT GET ENOUGH
 
WILDERNESS FAN 55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 862

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLSILVERCREEKSPRINGS View Post
Despite higher prices, Disney is filling the rooms, so they're doing what they are supposed to do. Fill the rooms at the most profitable rate that the market will bear.

Disney is not the only ones to do this, the resort that we stay at in Myrtle Beach raises their rates every year, the dog food we buy has gone up over 20% in the last 4 months, despite the government's insistance that we don't have inflation, prices are rising and they will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.
EXACTLY I cringe when people post about needing free dining or bigger discounts. You want to go this year you're going to pay a little more.It's a cyclical thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huff View Post
While true its looking sad except for those that are fortunate to be rather wealthy. We used to make yearly vacations to WDW and stay for 7-10 days each trip and loved every minute. Disney has priced us out of being able to do that any longer. We have to save for a few years, cut the number of days, stay offsite, eat cheaper meals etc. or decide to vacation elsewhere when weighing the value for our money. True, Disney is a business and are going to maximize their profits. Still sad that so many can no longer enjoy what Disney has to offer.
You do NOT need to be wealthy to go to WDW AllStar resorts perfect for smaller budgets. Certain times of year they are a downright bargain. Tickets are always a little high but the quality you get for that $ needs to be considered.While you may not be vacationing the same way you used to it is probably partially due to changes in your life not just Disney price increases.I haven't gotten a raise in 4 years and WDW prices have gone up so yes I adjust maybe less days no Luau gather some food from local groceries. It happens! But it IS still something EVERYONE can do.They just have to want to.
__________________
We're not the only people on this Island and we all know it!

Off site 72-76-76-77-78(MM 50th b-day) 79-81-82-85-86 FW-84-86-88-90-90-91-92-95-96
Poly 87 GF 88 CR 90 CBR 91-06-10
Disney Inn 93 ASM 95-96-02 CS 98
POFQ 97 DIXIE Landing 00 POR 07-08 WL-11
DL-Honeymoon-77 03 OKW -13 BLT-13 BWV-13
Trips planned 2015 WDW 2016 Aulani 2017 WDW XMAS
WILDERNESS FAN 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:20 AM   #178
kydisneyfans
It may be because they are too embarassed to show it in public
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Georgetown
Posts: 3,694

It really depends on the family involved for a Disney vacation. There are 3 of us.

We like to drive instead of fly, $175 in fuel was our cost last October for our trip of 865 miles each way. Others spend upwards of 1K to get there quicker.

We stayed at Pop on the free dining package-we had more food than we could handle. Others stay high end, that's fine too.

In the past, we have used YES tickets, but that price skyrocketed this year.

Basically out of 3 trips last year, one to Nashville, one to Disney, and the other to Panama City Beach, the Disney trip was the cheapest.

If the rumor is true of no free dining or for mods/deluxe only, plus the increased YES tickets, then the Disney vacation this year will by much, much more expensive. More expensive to the point that it will likely price us out of taking that trip this year.

It's up to Disney whether they want us or not.
kydisneyfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:37 AM   #179
davedmaine
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,945

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDERNESS FAN 55 View Post
You're getting all the refurbishments in the parks and the grounds . Also new Fantasyland. That's what you're getting for that extra $. Go ahead and write the letter if it makes you feel good but WDW is selling those rooms at a high pace.
With that new Fantasy Land, Disney should be paying us. What a disaster..
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #180
lmhall2000
May the road rise to meet you....May God hold you in the palm of His Hand.
 
lmhall2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Space town, AL
Posts: 5,476

I have usually been right on my prognostications..nothing special, just a sharp eye on the economy.

While Disney may have been able to fill the rooms in the past 5 years, I see a halt this year that will result in some major deals being offered. If they're smart, they will roll them out combining discounted room/free dining or a buy 4 nights get 3 free kind of deal...

The fall out from the new health care bill meant our monthly costs went up over $400 a month for a family of five, on top of that our previous no deductible went up to $2500...most insurers are requiring families to pay out $2500 or more a year before they will ever pay one dime even for a simple doctor visit...

My husband received a 2% raise and is making less this month than last year! Our utility bills have almost doubled in the past 5 years, gasoline has more than doubled in the past 5 years...the simple fact is that families (the ones that 'fill' the parks) have less and less money for vacations..it's a simple supply/demand/ability to pay situation.

Like others have said, I flew to Orlando for $38 round trip from Birmingham to Orlando 6 years ago, you think that will ever happen again? You can't even find it for 10x that now...they will offer deals but it will be for the periods when few can go..with schools being more and more abusive with their powers over students...less families able to take their children out...the deals will come in the months of September/November/January/May...that's my take.
__________________

lmhall2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.