Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Disney Discount Codes and Rates
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 02:26 AM   #151
OThopeful35
DIS Veteran

If people do not want to read these types of posts....why do they click on them? The posts I want to read, I click on them, the one's that I don't want to read...I pass by them

POR~Aug 2010 (1st visit) POFQ Aug 2011 POP/POFQ Aug 2013
OThopeful35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #152
OklahomaTourist
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by allboyhouse View Post
I don't get something.....and I know this is going to sound bad.....but why are there so many people on Disboards complaining.....if you aren't happy with how Disney runs things and say there's more value elsewhere why are you on a forum for Disney lovers??? Lol I'm not trying to be mean but post after post on many threads complaining. Just don't go. Go somewhere else. Yes I love free dining. Saves us over $1600. Am I gonna be bummed if I don't get it for my trip? Yes. Does that mean I'm gonna be priced out? By no means. Because I'm booking within my means. We can't afford deluxe so we don't book deluxe and hope for a discount to make it affordable. We go every other year or so. People are mad because they can't go twice in a year. Or can't afford a deluxe so can only stay value or moderate. So what!! Disney is so much more than the room or food or rides. It's a combination of everything they do and do very well. If you don't like the prices or the rooms or the food don't complain. Just don't go and stop complaining!
Always get a kick out of people who post a gripe about people posting gripes.

Its a free message board. People can say what they want within the terms of the board. If this were to turn into some Disney sycophant site, where only Good Things Are Allowed To Be Uttered, it would be worthless.
OklahomaTourist is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #153
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by OThopeful35 View Post
If people do not want to read these types of posts....why do they click on them? The posts I want to read, I click on them, the one's that I don't want to read...I pass by them
Old 02-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #154
tink1953
Tink rocks!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieChickadee View Post
Exactly. I went to Disney 4 times last year (and I live in NY). I'm not saying I hate Disney, it's just my opinion it's overpriced for the average family. I am not complaining for me (obviously the price didn't stop me) I am complaining for the families with children who would love Disney as a get a way but can't afford 2-3 grand to do it.

People take things so personally.
I agree with you
...we can afford it and help take our sons and families...but what about those kids that have parents who can't afford to take them to Disney....this is who Disney has out priced and these kids might never have the joy of experiencing Disney world....this is not what Walt would want.

Its not the fact that people will still come to Disney world but the fact that many will never be able to come if they continue to raise prices...

tink1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #155
maxiesmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink1953 View Post
I agree with you
...we can afford it and help take our sons and families...but what about those kids that have parents who can't afford to take them to Disney....this is who Disney has out priced and these kids might never have the joy of experiencing Disney world....this is not what Walt would want.

Its not the fact that people will still come to Disney world but the fact that many will never be able to come if they continue to raise prices...
Most kids never get to go to WDW and go on to have happy lives. I know as much as we all love WDW and Disney that may be hard to fathom, but it is the truth. My parents couldn't afford to take me, I never went until I was an adult and could pay for it myself. Let's not get crazy and say that Walt would want them to charge only a pittance, so that everyone could go. Walt was a shrewd businessman. Disney is a business, and not a charity.

Last edited by maxiesmom; 02-18-2013 at 01:51 PM.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #156
Luv2run2WDW
Earning My Ears

on another note...

I love Disney and will always go! The problem I am having, is that my family is growing up...my son is almost 19 and my daughter is 17. We are having trouble finding a room we can fit into. And then we also have the girlfriend etc.... my point being, even a room at POR is too small for even the 4 of us. As is the family suites at Art of Animation. My son is 6'3" and my daughter is
5'9" and they just can't sleep comfortably on those beds. We are forced to book 2 rooms or use the Fort Wilderness Cabins. So....DVC here we come! As we can only fit in a villa or cabin, I just as well buy DVC and get a room we are all comfortable in, but does not break the bank. Just a thought....
Luv2run2WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:57 PM   #157
tink1953
Tink rocks!!!!!!!

Not at all what I said....Walt would want families to be able to go...
Businessman or not he wanted the average family to enjoy his dream

tink1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #158
maxiesmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink1953 View Post
Not at all what I said....Walt would want families to be able to go...
Businessman or not he wanted the average family to enjoy his dream
I think the average family can still go if they choose to. But the reality is it is not a priority for everyone.

Some families may choose to have new cars, a new phone every year, and then they can't afford a trip to WDW. Some may be more like me--I drive an older car, most of the phones I have had were hand me downs from my gadget crazed nephew, and I don't buy new clothes every time the season changes.

Most people could swing a trip to WDW. Maybe not every year, and maybe they wouldn't stay on site. But it is not out of reach to all but the most wealthy among us. Not that I think any business owes it to anyone to make their product affordable for all.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:15 PM   #159
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
I think the average family can still go if they choose to. But the reality is it is not a priority for everyone.

Some families may choose to have new cars, a new phone every year, and then they can't afford a trip to WDW. Some may be more like me--I drive an older car, most of the phones I have had were hand me downs from my gadget crazed nephew, and I don't buy new clothes every time the season changes.

Most people could swing a trip to WDW. Maybe not every year, and maybe they wouldn't stay on site. But it is not out of reach to all but the most wealthy among us. Not that I think any business owes it to anyone to make their product affordable for all.
I have to agree; I am single with no children, so it is just my income. I am working in a job where I do get lots of benefits, but low pay and we have not had a raise in almost seven years.

Yet, I manage to go either to Disney or a cruise every year, sometimes both like last year.

I make it a priority. I have no mortgage, no car payment, I set up a vacation fund each month and make sure I put the same amount in to cover my trips and my expenses. I don't have a fancy car or house, basic cable, basic phone package, etc. I don't eat out lunch every day or dinner; I keep my expenses to a minimum.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:34 PM   #160
wdw4rfam
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by allboyhouse View Post
Oh I'm not saying limited.....it's just every other post is the same gripe. And I'm not taking it personally. It just gets old to see constant negativity post after post, especially when people are complaining that they will only get to go once this year or cant afford to stay at such and such deluxe resort so their trip is ruined. I think most people come here to get help planning their trips and share info etc. I don't speak for everyone but I have three teenagers if I want to hear someone complain. Maybe we need a separate board for people who need a place to complain then the rest of us can get the info we need without scrolling through pages of negativity!
Well, I'm assuming you read the first post here.....and yet you still chose to sit and read AND respond to it, even though its just one of those "gripes". So if you are just on here looking for quick advice on how to plan a trip, why do you spend time reading and responding if you dont want to hear it

2014 CSR-11 days**2013-POR 12 days**2012- POR- 9 days**2011- All Star Music-10 days** 2010- POFQ- 10 days** 2009- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2008- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2006- Pop Cent.- 7 days** AllStar Movies 7 days** 2004-Fl Resident....too many to list** 2003-Grosvenor** 2002- All star movies- 5 days

wdw4rfam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #161
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

Quote:

I couldn't agree more! Our family is living proof of this.

When my kids were growing up and we lived up north (MD & WV,) I was a stay at home mom. We had four kids full time and my stepson 50% of the time. Our income was below the federal poverty level. Way below the "average" American family.

Even so, our kids grew up going to Disney every few years. True, we couldn't go every year, or even every other year. But every three years was plenty for my kids to experience Disney at all different ages.

Between times we were avid campers and frequented state parks. For $6 per night, my kids had a blast and we saved towards our big vacations.

We have always lived in modest homes, never purchased a new car, never ran up credit card debt, and ate at home 99% of the time. I couponed and planned meals. None of us every felt deprived. It's not like we gave anything up for Disney, just lived within our means and saved.

None of our kids ever wore or asked for designer clothes, with the exception of one instance. Our oldest daughter asked for a pair of Timberland boots back when those were in style. She got them for Christmas.

The average American family can easily afford Disney if it is a priority for them. If fancy homes, new cars, smart phones, designer clothes, and eating out are priorities then expensive vacations are something they sacrifice for those choices. When money is limited, people just need to realize that they can't have everything they want.

BTW - We ALWAYS stayed on site and that was before the value resorts were even built.
FortForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:45 PM   #162
wdw4rfam
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
I have to agree; I am single with no children, so it is just my income. I am working in a job where I do get lots of benefits, but low pay and we have not had a raise in almost seven years.

Yet, I manage to go either to Disney or a cruise every year, sometimes both like last year.

I make it a priority. I have no mortgage, no car payment, I set up a vacation fund each month and make sure I put the same amount in to cover my trips and my expenses. I don't have a fancy car or house, basic cable, basic phone package, etc. I don't eat out lunch every day or dinner; I keep my expenses to a minimum.
Same here. Its figured into our bills. We keep everyday expenses down, and budget so we can go every year. We have something to look forward to every year, and if you dont have that who cares if you have the nicest car/house on the block? Not going to live to pay bills, to us a vacation is a necessity. With that being said, I still stalk the discount board to make sure we are getting the BEST price, and have yet to pay full price for ANY trip. Yes, we have seen the prices go up every year, but if needed we will just shave days off, but still go.

2014 CSR-11 days**2013-POR 12 days**2012- POR- 9 days**2011- All Star Music-10 days** 2010- POFQ- 10 days** 2009- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2008- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2006- Pop Cent.- 7 days** AllStar Movies 7 days** 2004-Fl Resident....too many to list** 2003-Grosvenor** 2002- All star movies- 5 days

wdw4rfam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #163
jojosam
Mouseketeer

While I think that in the end this is a no-win debate (can you really win anything so subjective), I very much agree with a few PP who stated that it is a matter of priority. We have been a single income family since DD was born. We have had few vacations in our almost 11 years of marriage, aside from weekend trips and one quick trip to Jamaica. I coupon, shop sales, and we mostly eat at home, because we knew that there were sacrifices to me staying at home with the kids.

That being said, when an opportunity has presented itself for us to have a vacation, we have always found a way to do it. DH was working in AZ for a month, so the kids and I joined him at his hotel for a week. Last minute flights were expensive, but we balanced that by getting a 2nd room at government rates. Since vacations had been so rare, we enjoyed ourselves and allowed the week to be a treat... we ate, we swam, we relaxed... and it was worth the cost... to us.

Last year we felt the kids were finally old enough to do Disney and not flake out in the middle of the day, so we started to plan. Yes, we are lucky, as the military discounts made it more affordable. But we know we could have done it in a more cost effective way... we just chose not to. It was a family vacation and we were going to enjoy ourselves, not stress over a few hundred dollars. In the end, 5 nights cost us about $2800 (we drove, 4 day hoppers, stayed in the Cabins, regular dining plan with 2 adults and 2 kids).

This year I am itching to go back. 4 days was rushed and we want to explore more. I am sure Disney depends on people wanting to come back because there is so much to see. Our original plan was 8 nights in the Cabins, DxDP, 4 day hoppers with Water parks.... it was going to be about $5000 plus tips and extras (DD is going to be 10, so 3 adults and 1 kid). By considering a switch to camping in an RV and lowering the dining plan, it will be less than $3000 for the same 8 nights. Yes, we could make it even cheaper by nixing the dining plan, but we like the convenience. It's what works for us.

I guess what my long drawn out post is trying to say is that every family has an individual limit. We treasure family time because sometimes DH can't be with us. Yes, prices have gone up... but is it worth it to you to find a way to get to Disney? If yes, have fun. If not, remember that Disney does not owe anybody a vacation.
jojosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:40 PM   #164
WILDERNESS FAN 55
CANNOT GET ENOUGH

Quote:

Very well said. I've been going since 1972 and for many years I scratched and saved for THE trip. I gave up many other things during the year to put some $ away. That was MY choice. Frankly Disney DID do something for families...they created the Value hotels! At certain times of year you can still get those for 79.00 a nite.They were never intended to be as cheap as a days inn, however You do get to stay on WDW property at get Disney service so that is always going to be extra.As always the ticket seems to be the killer for families so you just need to tighten your belts and save.

Off site 72-76-76-77-78(MM 50th b-day) 79-81-82-85-86 FW-84-86-88-90-90-91-92-95-96
Poly 87 GF 88 CR 90 CBR 91-06-10
Disney Inn 93 ASM 95-96-02 CS 98
POFQ 97 DIXIE Landing 00 POR 07-08 WL-11
DL-Honeymoon-77 03 OKW -13 BLT-13 BWV-13
Trips planned 2015 WDW 2016 Aulani 2017 WDW XMAS
WILDERNESS FAN 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #165
twoplustwins
DIS Veteran

As a family of six, it is quite costly for us to spend a week at WDW. While I would love to go every year, we simply cannot afford it. We save where we can for however long it takes to be able to go. We are going in June and then will start saving again!

Nov 2009 - POR
Jan 2012 - CBR
June 2013 - CSR
November 2014 - Pop

WDW is my happy place!
twoplustwins is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: