Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
mcuoghi
Mouseketeer

Ear Hat Embroidery?

It's been a few years since I've been to Disney and it will be the first time I'm taking my children. I wanted to get them ear hats, but I wanted the pretty curly embroidery for their names. Do they still do this in the parks? If not, I'm thinking I may just order them online ahead of time. Thanks!

Last edited by mcuoghi; 01-15-2013 at 08:02 AM.
mcuoghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
mattsdragon
DDC #595
Lookin' for the Bare Necessities

1).. . . Welcome to the DIS

B. . . great typo in the thread title, "Eat Hat Embroidery". . .made me think this was going to be some sort of "Eat Love Pray" randomness.

mattsdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #3
iwish81792
Mouseketeer

The embroidery on ear hats is definitely still done. In Magic Kingdom, you can get names embroidered at The Chapeau on Main Street and Fantasy Faire in Fantasyland. However, the embroidering is now done by machine, and is consequently more uniform and less loopy. But the "Traditional" font offered in these locations is a cursive writing that looks similar to the vintage style.

and just around the corner is a Fantasyland!
iwish81792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
tink18
Mouseketeer

It is still done and comes in 2 fonts, the standard block writing which is made up of little dashes like - - - - or the more curly font. the curly font costs more not much more but more. You also choose your thread color. I had my graduation hat last summer and had my name stitched onto it at the gift shop by Philarmagic, i hadn't bought it there and had no problems having them do it without a receipt so you could order the hats online and then get them embroided in the parks to ensure you get the font you like
tink18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #5
mickeyonasticky
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink18 View Post
It is still done and comes in 2 fonts, the standard block writing which is made up of little dashes like - - - - or the more curly font. the curly font costs more not much more but more. You also choose your thread color. I had my graduation hat last summer and had my name stitched onto it at the gift shop by Philarmagic, i hadn't bought it there and had no problems having them do it without a receipt so you could order the hats online and then get them embroided in the parks to ensure you get the font you like
This response is full of misinformation.

Like iwish81792 said, they do still do the embroidery at several shops around the parks. They do not do the hand-embroidery anymore; it is all done by embroidery machine.

There are several fonts to choose from. If you choose Traditional (which is similar to the hand-embroidery from back in the day), that is $3 on top of the cost of the hat. If you choose the other fonts (Fun, Script, and I think there's another one), I believe it's $7 on top of the cost of the hat. There are also different colors to choose from: gold (not metallic), white, black, blue, and pink.

I just checked out the embroidery option on disneystore.com, and it's an ugly block print, much like what I'm typing in right now. Ugh. How boring. If I'm getting classic Mickey ears for someone, I always get them the Traditional font in gold.

Also, if you decide you'd like to get them embroidered in the park, there's literally no reason to order them online ahead of time. Just buy them in the shop where you decide you'll get them embroidered.

Last edited by mickeyonasticky; 01-14-2013 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Added something else :]
mickeyonasticky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:04 AM   #6
mcuoghi
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone! I just didn't want the boring block letters that they offer online. I'm going to wait and get them in park! Thanks again!
mcuoghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:25 AM   #7
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

In November, I had it done (by machine) at the Big Top Souvenirs shop in the Storybook Circus area of New Fantasyland.
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: