Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #1
daughtersrus
DIS Veteran

My DD was hired for her 1st teaching position!

DD#2 graduated in Dec with a degree in SpEd teaching. She filled out application for over 75 school districts in the Chicago area.

She had two interviews before Christmas and was offered jobs by each of them. She decided to turn them down because they were both for teacher aid positions. She did the math and decided that the hourly wage wasn't worth the cost of travel. She also considered that they were both small districts so the opportunity for a teaching position wasn't that great.

She was a little bummed but decided to stick it out.

She got a call a week ago Friday but was working with the camp from our park district with the special needs kids. It was the only day that she worked. I took the message and told the lady that she wouldn't be available until after 5pm. She told me who she was and that she really wanted to speak to DD. She gave me her personal cell# and asked DD to call her whenever she could.

Long story short, DD called and they set up an interview. She was interviewing for 3 open positions. 1 was a contract teaching position, 1 was a long -term sub teaching position probably lasting until the end of the year and 1 was for a teacher's aid position.

Saturday, the SpEd director left a message asking DD to call her cell as soon as she could. She offered DD the contracted teaching position!

DD is so excited as our we. The school board is set to approve her hiring tonight and DD should be starting very soon. She will be teaching a classroom of about 5 elementary students that all have Autism.

The best part of all is that the school is less than 1 1/2 miles from our house. It's a huge school district (3 high schools, 6 middle schools and 20 elementary schools) so hopefully she'll have a position next school year as well.
daughtersrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:41 PM   #2
lynxstch
Love that Figment!
Turkey, Clay, and my favorite all time christmas song..all on the same day..it doesn't get any better!
Learned the hard way not to store meltables in the oven

Congratulations to her! Sounds like it will be a very rewarding job. Your daughter must be very special to be selected to work with those special kids, not a job everyone can do. I wish her all the luck in the world!
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

Congrats to your daughter. BTW that is not a huge district at all. Our district is one of the largest in the country and that is smaller than one of our regions.

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Talking Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
daughtersrus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Hands View Post
Congrats to your daughter. BTW that is not a huge district at all. Our district is one of the largest in the country and that is smaller than one of our regions.

Thanks!

For the Chicago suburbs, its' big but compared to Chicago Public Schools, I'm sure it's not. We have a lot of school district that are high school only so they may have only 2 schools. We have a lot that are elementary only and they usually only have 4-6 schools. There's even an elementary district that she applied that is only 1 building. That building houses the classrooms as well as the administration departments.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

We have 6 regions all with multiple high schools, middle and elementary schools. we are in region 6 with 5 high schools. Entire district has at least 30 high schools and numerous middle and elementary schools. I have 4 within 10 blocks of my house.

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Talking Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #6
jackemail
DIS Veteran

Retired SPecial Ed teacher here (31 years)..congrats to your daughter!

It is a VERY difficult, but very rewarding, choice.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #7
Lorelei Lee
DIS Veteran

Congrats to your daughter, daughtersrus.

My daughter is working on a master's in education and special education. She is working as a teaching assistant, in a nursery school half a mile from our house. She didn't major in education in college and won't have a teaching license until she finishes her master's. Her father is a special ed teacher, so she knows how tough, and how rewarding, it will be.

Last edited by Lorelei Lee; 01-14-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Lorelei Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #8
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Hands View Post
What kind of response was that?

OP- congrats to your daughter. My son will be applying for positions for the next school year. He's majoring in deaf studies and is looking to get into the school district to be an interpreter for the kids.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #9
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Congratulations to your daughter! I believe God has a special place in heaven for teachers of students with special needs. I hope she loves her new class.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:10 PM   #10
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

Congratulations to your daughter

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #11
doxdogy
Owned by doxies!
I remember the day I turned into my parents

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorsenuf View Post
What kind of response was that?

OP- congrats to your daughter. My son will be applying for positions for the next school year. He's majoring in deaf studies and is looking to get into the school district to be an interpreter for the kids.
I agree, how is it even relevant to the OP's post. OP congrats to your daughter!!!!
doxdogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:28 PM   #12
BlovesC
home is where the Yeti is!
When the ride attendants ask me to tug on the yellow strap on my seatbelt, I never do it. I just stare at them in defiance

Location: Originally Jersey Shore, now Central FL (hopefully not for much longer)

Congrats to your daughter! In this economy it's a huge achievement to land a job, especially one you've been training hard for!

And I don't see why it's relevant, but that school district is HUGE compared to the I went to.

B & C , Local AP/TiW holders & resort junkies!
12/08: CR & SSR|10/09: VWL| 1/10:AKL&POFQ| 10/10:AKL| 1/11:CR| 2/11:POFQ| 1/12:AKL|5/12:BC|
9/12:BC| 10/12:SSR| 1/13:ASMu| 5/13:BC| 6/13:POP| 8/13:WL| 10/13:POFQ| 12/13:Disney Dream| 1/14: ASMu| 3/14: BC
BlovesC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #13
daughtersrus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlovesC View Post
Congrats to your daughter! In this economy it's a huge achievement to land a job, especially one you've been training hard for!

And I don't see why it's relevant, but that school district is HUGE compared to the I went to.
Thanks everyone.

The only reason that I posted the size of the school district was that DD was looking for the potential to either be hired as a teacher if she accepted an aid position, or the potential to keep the teaching position if hired.

Since she's certified age 5-22yo, she wanted to be in a larger school district. The more positions they have, the better. That's all I meant. Sorry!
Old 01-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #14
Lorelei Lee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlovesC View Post

OP mentioned the size of the district because it's relevant to her daughter's employment, i.e., that because it's a comparatively large district there will likely be an opportunity to keep teaching during the next school year. why someone would focus on the size of the district is beyond me.
Lorelei Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:36 PM   #15
BlovesC
home is where the Yeti is!
When the ride attendants ask me to tug on the yellow strap on my seatbelt, I never do it. I just stare at them in defiance

Location: Originally Jersey Shore, now Central FL (hopefully not for much longer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daughtersrus View Post
Since she's certified age 5-22yo, she wanted to be in a larger school district. The more positions they have, the better. That's all I meant. Sorry!
Oh no, don't apologize! I meant that I didn't see why it was relevant for a previous poster to critique the size. It could be a 2 school district, doesn't lessen the achievement of finding a job! But yeah, I can understand why the larger district would be better for her.

B & C , Local AP/TiW holders & resort junkies!
12/08: CR & SSR|10/09: VWL| 1/10:AKL&POFQ| 10/10:AKL| 1/11:CR| 2/11:POFQ| 1/12:AKL|5/12:BC|
9/12:BC| 10/12:SSR| 1/13:ASMu| 5/13:BC| 6/13:POP| 8/13:WL| 10/13:POFQ| 12/13:Disney Dream| 1/14: ASMu| 3/14: BC
BlovesC is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: