Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How many dresses for Formal/Semi/Palos
1 dresses for all 3 4 2.80%
2 dresses 18 12.59%
3 dresses 25 17.48%
Let your wife decide. You are crazy for having an opinion! 96 67.13%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-31-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
hubby_of_newtodisney
How can I go to work, when there are so many fun things to do?

Location: W Hartford, CT to Greater Boston,MA to Wildwood, MO to Stratham, NH to Ashburn, VA

Dress question - How many (for my wife)

All,

I think that she can get away with bringing two dresses - One for semiformal night and then a nicer one for both formal and Palo's night. She insists on 3.

What do you think?
Coronado- 12/00 ,AS Movies 1/01)kidless ), AKL Concierge ( ), Swan ( ), WL 10/01, Western - 1/03, AS Movies 10/04 (kidless ), Eastern - 1/05 (Could have had no more fun! ), WDW Pop - 12/05 (So much for skipping a year! ), 1/06 Universal's Hard Rock 11/06 DL Lost count!!!
hubby_of_newtodisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
hubby_of_newtodisney
How can I go to work, when there are so many fun things to do?

Location: W Hartford, CT to Greater Boston,MA to Wildwood, MO to Stratham, NH to Ashburn, VA

Wife & # of dresses for cruise

I haven't gotten any feedback, so...

Maybe an poll will help because of anonymity.
Coronado- 12/00 ,AS Movies 1/01)kidless ), AKL Concierge ( ), Swan ( ), WL 10/01, Western - 1/03, AS Movies 10/04 (kidless ), Eastern - 1/05 (Could have had no more fun! ), WDW Pop - 12/05 (So much for skipping a year! ), 1/06 Universal's Hard Rock 11/06 DL Lost count!!!
hubby_of_newtodisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-01-2012, 12:40 AM   #3
HollandmillerFamily
Mouseketeer

Of course she can get away with only two dresses... If she wears the same one to semi-formal night and Palo, the only person who will see her wearing the same thing twice is you. That said... A dress doesn't take up much space. It's vacation--let her bring as many dresses as she wants!

(Disqualifier: Unless each dress requires different shoes... SHOES take up a ton of space! :P )
HollandmillerFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:46 AM   #4
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

I'm sure she can get a way with two but clearly she doesn't want two. She could get away with zero. Let her bring three or a dozen....I'm packing a dress for almost every night. My husband has no idea what I am putting in my suitcase and I have no idea what is going in his...
Old 11-01-2012, 12:50 AM   #5
ORDisneyfans
Mouseketeer

I don't pack fo rmy husband, he doesn't pack for me! That said we only take one carry on and one personal item per person period. No matter how long we will be gone or where we are going!

Now if the question was how many "new" dresses does my wife need for the cruise that would be a whole different discussion! (I bought 5! All really nice, great brands like Lauren etc after season for less than $100 total)

I am hoping to be able to pack all of the dresses, my shorts, jeans and cute tops as well as a sweater or shrug and shoes in my carry on! Shoes can be a deal breaker! Luckily my DD and I wear the same size and flip flops don't take up much room. I always wear my bulkiest items!

HTH

11/2013 Villas GC 11/18/2011 GCH Concierge 7/13/2011 DLH 3/20/2011 GCH / PPH concierge 8/27/2010 DLH / PPH concierge 3/2010 Residence Inn11/2009 Residence Inn 6/2008 Crowne Plaza 11/2006 Residence Inn 5/2002 WDW 10 days!!! 1999Disneyland with a 2 yo!!! 1989 DH First Trip to the Mouse! Many Childhood Trips!!
ORDisneyfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:07 AM   #6
NWmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORDisneyfans View Post
I don't pack fo rmy husband, he doesn't pack for me! That said we only take one carry on and one personal item per person period. No matter how long we will be gone or where we are going!

Now if the question was how many "new" dresses does my wife need for the cruise that would be a whole different discussion! (I bought 5! All really nice, great brands like Lauren etc after season for less than $100 total)

I am hoping to be able to pack all of the dresses, my shorts, jeans and cute tops as well as a sweater or shrug and shoes in my carry on! Shoes can be a deal breaker! Luckily my DD and I wear the same size and flip flops don't take up much room. I always wear my bulkiest items!

HTH
I would love to know how you do this. Do you select a certain kind of material for the dresses? Or plan on having them ironed on ship?

My biggest question- are you a very small size? I'm a 14 so wonder if the clothes size is what makes it work.
Suggestions for learning to pack that light would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:09 AM   #7
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubby_of_newtodisney
All,

I think that she can get away with bringing two dresses - One for semiformal night and then a nicer one for both formal and Palo's night. She insists on 3.

What do you think?
Whatever fits in the suitcase and makes her happy.

Palo - could be 1
Formal night - 1
Semi Formal night - could be 1, could be same as Palo, could be a variation of Palo depending upon the dress

Semi-irrelevant, but i need to state it: I would not consider Palo and formal night as the same outfit.

HTH,
Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubby_of_newtodisney
I haven't gotten any feedback, so...

Maybe an poll will help because of anonymity.
It had been less than an hour and a half on a question that really doesn't have a true answer. We all have anonymity here.

- Dreams

Disney Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:19 AM   #8
AllyBri
DIS Veteran

I'm surprised that a husband would come here to ask a ? about his DW, not in a bad way just amazed.
Have never been on a cruise and no intention of going on one, but if I did I would take 3.

TDS 1994-2005
DVC 1994
Celebratišošn 2001
Living The Dream!

When you die
God and the angels
will hold you accountable
for all the pleasures you were allowed in life
that you denied yourself.
AllyBri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:29 AM   #9
kristof65
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORDisneyfans

Now if the question was how many "new" dresses does my wife need for the cruise that would be a whole different discussion!
That would have been the argument with my ex-wife. She would have said she was bringing three, but would bought nine to decide from. And then she would have tried to pack them in my suitcase, not hers.

With my wife now, I actually have opposite problem as the OP. I so rarely get to see her in dresses, that the more she brings, the more I'll get to see her killer legs. But she's probably only going to bring one or two.
kristof65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:50 AM   #10
Princess Sleepy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyBri View Post
I'm surprised that a husband would come here to ask a ? about his DW, not in a bad way just amazed.
Have never been on a cruise and no intention of going on one, but if I did I would take 3.
OK, I'm just curious. If you are not a cruiser (past, present, or future) what are you doing on a cruise board?

Feb 2009: Poly Jan 2010: Pop
June 2010: CBR October 2011: The Dream
November 2011: POR May 2012: AKV- Kidani
February 2013: POR May 2013: CBR December 2013: The Fantasy
Princess Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:03 AM   #11
AllyBri
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Sleepy View Post
OK, I'm just curious. If you are not a cruiser (past, present, or future) what are you doing on a cruise board?
Because I'm allowed to.
and
I have friends that cuuise and we like to chat
Why do you ask ?

TDS 1994-2005
DVC 1994
Celebratišošn 2001
Living The Dream!

When you die
God and the angels
will hold you accountable
for all the pleasures you were allowed in life
that you denied yourself.
AllyBri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:33 AM   #12
RedxPanda
DIS Veteran

Like some others have eluded. A dress, made of the right material, will take up less space than other outfits. I try to pick dresses I can at least 'share' 2 pairs of nice shoes with, to help reduce space taken.

Our first cruise was 4 nights, I brought 4 dresses + pirate costume. We did brunch, not dinner in PALO on pirate night. The formal one took up the most space, I'm going to switch that out for a nicer looking cocktail dress, on my next cruise. All the dresses I pack will be lightweight and wrinkle resistant material.

Past Sailings/Recent Trips
CCL Triumph - 7N E. Caribbean - 12/2006
NCL POA - 7N Hawaii - 3/2010
CBR - 4 Parks 4 Days - 5/2010
Disney Magic - 4N Bahamas - 5/2012 - Trip Report
Disney Wonder - 5N W. Caribbean - 1/28/2013 - CC Review - Trip Report
CCL Dream - 7N W. Caribbean - 6/22/13 - Port Reviews
RedxPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:19 AM   #13
CanuckTraveller
Mouseketeer

I bring a different dress for every night, but that's me. I have a closet full of formal dresses I rarely get to wear, so this is my chance! Plus I spend most of the day in shorts/shirts and bathing suits that take up little room in my suitcase, so I can still pack 2 adults and 2 boys in 3 suitcases to save on baggage fees at the airport.
If I were you, I'd let your wife decide
African safari, July, 2016

Past:
DCL Dream/ WDW, March, 2013
NCL Jewel, New Year's Eve, 2012
NCL Star, New Year's, 2012
NCL Sun, New Year's, 2011
Land trips to all Canadian provinces, most of the eastern US, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Cuba, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Egypt, Columbia, Puerto Rico and a few others I can't remember as a child!
CanuckTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:43 AM   #14
Princess_Kayla
Pre Published Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollandmillerFamily View Post
(Disqualifier: Unless each dress requires different shoes... SHOES take up a ton of space! :P )
So true! I have a separate bag for my shoes because I insist on having a different pair of shoes for each outfit. (Almost!)

Dream~06/15/12 Fantasy~05/31/14
Princess_Kayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:45 AM   #15
Princess_Kayla
Pre Published Author

Let her take as many as she likes (: We're taking a 7 Nigh Caribbean in 2014 and I have a dress for every night! (I'm disneybounding as the princess for dinner) ^^

Dream~06/15/12 Fantasy~05/31/14
Princess_Kayla is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: