Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
whitek1275
Mouseketeer

4 Parks, 3 Days

Me and my girlfriend will be visiting Disney and going to the parks on May 18th, 19th and 20th. We want to do AK, MK, EPCOT and HS.

I was thinking we would split AK and MK into one day since we are more thrill ride and culture junkies, which EPCOT and HS could take up an entire day each for us.

What would be your strategy for AK and MK in one day and is this a good plan?

Thanks in advance for advice!
whitek1275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
parkhopping
DIS Veteran

This is pretty easily done, since MK usually has the latest closing time of the 4 parks. Are you staying on property? If so, I would suggest doing this on either the 19th, when MK has evening Extra Magic Hours, or the 20th, when AK has morning EMH. If you are not staying onsite, I would do it on the 18th. Either way, you will want to do AK in the morning and head to MK when you're finished there (probably around 1 or 2 pm). Have fun!

MK '99 ~ WDW vacation '01 (ASMu) ~ DL/DCA '03 ~ Now a FL resident seasonal passholder!
Everything you ever wanted to know about Be Our Guest
parkhopping is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #3
Mike7468
Mouseketeer

I'm assuming you have park hoppers? I'd split AK and HS, depending on HS closing time.
Mike7468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
whitek1275
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike7468 View Post
I'm assuming you have park hoppers? I'd split AK and HS, depending on HS closing time.
We do everything at HS, and I mean EVERYTHING. I'm not so sure about MK since I haven't been there in a while, but it doesn't hold any sentimental value between the two of us, my girlfriend never having done any Disney parks.

Why should MK be a full day? Just curious.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
Time Traveler
the best around

Quote:
The problem with splitting AK and HS is that it'd be difficult to ride Toy Story Mania in the evening. Obviously, fastpasses would have run out hours before, and the line would most likely be fairly long. Doing AK after HS isn't viable either due to the earlier closing time.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:08 PM   #6
Kimosabe
DIS Veteran

I would generally agree with AK in the morning and MK thereafter. If you're trying to stick to thrill rides/culture at AK, you've got the Safari, Everest and maybe Dinosaur, but that's about it unless you want to see the Lion King and Finding Nemo shows to fit within the "culture" tab (and they are both quite good). Kali River Rapids is neither thrilling nor cultural, so unless you're just a water ride nut, you won't miss anything by skipping it altogether.

As a general rule, people will tell you that you've got the best chance of seeing the most animals on the Safari in the morning...otherwise, I might recommend a different approach. We have hit MK at rope drop and been able to ride Big Thunder, Splash, POTC and Space Mountain within the first couple of hours, especially if one of you can grab a quick Space fastpass and get back to Frontier/Adventureland for these others.

Either way, if you're truly at the park when they open it at rope drop, you can usually knock out the major rides at either AK or MK relatively quickly and then decide what to do with the rest of your day. The timing of extra magic hours if staying on property can definitely help decide which way to go.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
parkhopping
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Traveler View Post
The problem with splitting AK and HS is that it'd be difficult to ride Toy Story Mania in the evening. Obviously, fastpasses would have run out hours before, and the line would most likely be fairly long. Doing AK after HS isn't viable either due to the earlier closing time.
This. And based on OP's preferences, it sounds like they will definitely want a full day at both DHS and Epcot. Sounds like combining AK and MK is the best way to go.

MK '99 ~ WDW vacation '01 (ASMu) ~ DL/DCA '03 ~ Now a FL resident seasonal passholder!
Old 01-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
whitek1275
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the advice guys!

The main thing for us is to have a relaxing time. Since there seems to be fewer things at the AK and MK for us to do, we didn't want to make park hopping a stressful ordeal. It sounds like hitting up AK first is the best idea.

At MK, what are the top 5-7 attractions would you say?
Old 01-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #9
Mike7468
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitek1275 View Post
We do everything at HS, and I mean EVERYTHING. I'm not so sure about MK since I haven't been there in a while, but it doesn't hold any sentimental value between the two of us, my girlfriend never having done any Disney parks.

Why should MK be a full day? Just curious.
In my opinion HS has four rides, Tot, Star Tours, RnR, and TSM, other than that you have the Great Movie ride, backlot, indiana jones, lights motor action, Beauty and the Beast. and Fantasmic, You must be planning on doing alot of shows. If your girlfriend has never been to any Disney Park are you sure she would rather do HS all day compared to the magic Kingdom. I know as far as thrill rides there is only, Space, splash, Btmr, but you still have manyother rides there. Pirates, Small world, Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, all the stuff in future land, new fantasy land. It is the crown jewel of the DIsney parks, but it is your vacation, enjoy and have fun. Just my opinion.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #10
whitek1275
Mouseketeer

Quote:
In my opinion HS has four rides, Tot, Star Tours, RnR, and TSM, other than that you have the Great Movie ride, backlot, indiana jones, lights motor action, Beauty and the Beast. and Fantasmic, You must be planning on doing alot of shows. If your girlfriend has never been to any Disney Park are you sure she would rather do HS all day compared to the magic Kingdom. I know as far as thrill rides there is only, Space, splash, Btmr, but you still have manyother rides there. Pirates, Small world, Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, all the stuff in future land, new fantasy land. It is the crown jewel of the DIsney parks, but it is your vacation, enjoy and have fun. Just my opinion.
Well me and her are huge movie buffs! So I figured she would love HS (and we will also be going to Universal for 2 days).
Old 01-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #11
Mike7468
Mouseketeer

Movie Buffs! all that needed said! enjoy.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:56 PM   #12
whitek1275
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Movie Buffs! all that needed said! enjoy.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #13
parkhopping
DIS Veteran

Quote:

At MK, what are the top 5-7 attractions would you say?
Since you are into thrill rides, you will definitely want to do Space, Splash, and BTMRR. The teacups can also fit into that category - my philosophy is that if you can walk straight when you get off, you're doing it wrong I would also recommend some of the classics:

-Pirates
-Small World
-Haunted Mansion

There is WAY more to do than just those, and I honestly enjoy just about everything in the park. And don't miss Wishes (fireworks) and Celebrate the Magic (projection show)! You'll want to be in front of the castle for those, so plan accordingly. Robo has a great map with recommended viewing locations - I'll try to find a link here...

Old 01-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #14
whitek1275
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkhopping View Post
Since you are into thrill rides, you will definitely want to do Space, Splash, and BTMRR. The teacups can also fit into that category - my philosophy is that if you can walk straight when you get off, you're doing it wrong I would also recommend some of the classics:

-Pirates
-Small World
-Haunted Mansion

There is WAY more to do than just those, and I honestly enjoy just about everything in the park. And don't miss Wishes (fireworks) and Celebrate the Magic (projection show)! You'll want to be in front of the castle for those, so plan accordingly. Robo has a great map with recommended viewing locations - I'll try to find a link here...
Nice! Are the fireworks and Celebrate the Magic back-to-back?
Old 01-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #15
parkhopping
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Nice! Are the fireworks and Celebrate the Magic back-to-back?
Yes, they are. Celebrate should be about 15 minutes before Wishes, and some nights they do a second showing of Celebrate after Wishes, usually 30 minutes later.

The second post in this thread has the map of viewing locations:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....s#post47188408

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: