DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 01:00 PM   #1
Lreip
Neverland

Is it better to buy DVC on the cruise or at the resort?

I was just wondering as far as incentives. Is it better to purchase DVC while on the cruise or the resort? I've been thinking about buying for 7 yrs now. I go every year with my 10yr old son. And have done the land /sea on the Dream. I have another one booked for August 18-25th 2013 land /sea. I know probably a silly question just thought I'd ask.

1998 All Star Movie
2004 All Star Movie
2006 Wilderness Lodge
2007 Port Orleans
2009 Grand Floridian
Feb. 2010 Wilderness Lodge
Oct. 2010 Caribbean Resort
2011 Disney Dream/Port Orleans
2012 All Star Movie/Disney Dream
2013 Saratoga Springs Resort
2013 All Star Movie
2013 Disney Dream
Lreip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
luckyman_apd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lreip View Post
I was just wondering as far as incentives. Is it better to purchase DVC while on the cruise or the resort? I've been thinking about buying for 7 yrs now. I go every year with my 10yr old son. And have done the land /sea on the Dream. I have another one booked for August 18-25th 2013 land /sea. I know probably a silly question just thought I'd ask.
If you are buying DVC, I would not buy to use points for a cruise. The value in DVC is in the resorts. As far as incentives I believe they are the same. I don't think you get a better deal on the boat rather than the park. But the system is built around the DVC resorts and staying there. Points have value for other uses such as a cruise, but paying cash will always be a better value than using the points.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

To answer OP's question, traditionally better prices are offered on cruises. They often include a stateroom credit worth several hundred dollars in addition to whatever incentives are available for a land-based purchase.

But there's really no way to know for certain what will be offered, how many points you'll have to buy to get the bonus or if it will even be available on the resort you wish to purchase. I've seen situations where the cruise incentives were only for one specific resort, and buyers had to purchase 300+ points in order to get the bonus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyman_apd View Post
Points have value for other uses such as a cruise, but paying cash will always be a better value than using the points.
As stated, I have to disagree with the above. Cruising on points typically costs less out-of-pocket than cruising on cash if you're simply comparing one year's dues on the points to the cash cruise rate. However you get much greater value when using points toward DVC resort stays.

There are also more restrictions and limitations when cruising on points rather than cash.

The most sensible approach is to purchase points almost exclusively for resort stays and continue paying cash for cruises. If you really look at the economics of buying points today which are specifically earmarked for recurring cruise use, you'll find it takes an exceedingly long time to break even on the purchase.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #4
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

According to Bilby, she was making the incentives equal no matter where you bought the direct points or who you bought them from.

I don't know if they made the change but that is what she told me. Who knows what the next guy will do.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #5
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Quote:
Cruising on points typically costs less out-of-pocket than cruising on cash if you're simply comparing one year's dues on the points to the cash cruise rate.
But, you paid something for those points, and some fraction of that payment (plus, possibly, the opportunity cost on that payment) should also be a consideration. It's not cash-flow accounting, true, and people often forget that, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't!

If you are in the market for buying DVC points, conventional wisdom holds that you should "right size" your purchase based only on your expected DVC stays, not other uses of points. So, if you think you'll do one WDW stay and one cruise every two years, buy only enough for the WDW stay every two years, and pay cash for your cruises.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:51 PM   #6
Dasha Hermosilla
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz
According to Bilby, she was making the incentives equal no matter where you bought the direct points or who you bought them from.

I don't know if they made the change but that is what she told me. Who knows what the next guy will do.

Bill
We just bought direct on the Fantasy in December and there was a far greater incentive to buy at AKL. AKL buyers got a hefty shipboard credit. We bought at BLT and got nothing. BLT makes more sense for our family so we opted for that, but I sure could have used that AKL onboard credit!
Dasha Hermosilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:13 PM   #7
cc_nike
Earning My Ears

Its better to buy from home on your computer from one of the resale brokers.
cc_nike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:24 PM   #8
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_nike View Post

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:27 PM   #9
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasha Hermosilla View Post
We just bought direct on the Fantasy in December and there was a far greater incentive to buy at AKL. AKL buyers got a hefty shipboard credit. We bought at BLT and got nothing. BLT makes more sense for our family so we opted for that, but I sure could have used that AKL onboard credit!
The incentive can be different for different resorts but I was told that the incentive if bought on DCL would be the same as a contract bought at the SSR sales center. I was also told that a contract bought from a Telesales Guide would be the same as a contract bought from a Guide at a physical sales location.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:51 PM   #10
Husurdady
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_nike View Post
It worked for me. .....PS....... I didn't buy.....I sold.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:42 PM   #11
Lreip
Neverland

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT4DISNEY

Thanks everyone for your inputs. After reading through all the boards I'm seriously considering resale. Wish me luck

1998 All Star Movie
2004 All Star Movie
2006 Wilderness Lodge
2007 Port Orleans
2009 Grand Floridian
Feb. 2010 Wilderness Lodge
Oct. 2010 Caribbean Resort
2011 Disney Dream/Port Orleans
2012 All Star Movie/Disney Dream
2013 Saratoga Springs Resort
2013 All Star Movie
2013 Disney Dream
Lreip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:51 AM   #12
MommaluvsDis
DIS Veteran

But isn't it now true that you can't use resale points to cruise?
Old 01-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #13
bbn1122
DIS Veteran

We brought on the Magic in 2010. We thought it was a great incentive. We bought 200 points at BLT and got $12 off each point, plus we got a bonus 200 points that we had to bank and then to use the within a year.

We were able to stay the following year Easter week in a dedicated 2 bedroom for 5 nights for 345 points....we would have never done that with out our bonus points!

But that was 3 years ago....I guess it depends on the incentive if any when on a cruise.

Good luck
AKL - Aug 2011,
HHI - August 2012
OKW - August 2014
Vero Beach - August 2014
Magic - West Carib April 2010, 2 night NYC June 2012
Dream - 3 night - August 2011 3 Night Dream - August 2014
bbn1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #14
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaluvsDis
But isn't it now true that you can't use resale points to cruise?
Yes.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: