Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 12:17 AM   #16
dragonfly57005
DIS Veteran

Do you tip them each day or at the end of your stay?
dragonfly57005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:28 AM   #17
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly57005 View Post
Do you tip them each day or at the end of your stay?
Each day. Your housekeeper may change during your stay or on your last day your regular housekeeper may be off.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #18
dminnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Mousekeeping is actually a union, non-tipped position. It's not necessary as their wages are collectively bargained for. Just FYI
I've seen comments about mousekeeping not being a tipped position. Is this really just an opinion thing on whether to tip them or not? If it's not a tipped position...just wondering then...where do the tips go that people leave for them? Are they required to turn them in to WDW or something?

We usually tip housekeeping at any hotel we stay at.
dminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #19
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzytime View Post
ME, yes. I think there was a sign at the front of the bus suggesting a gratuity, plus the bus driver mentioned it when we arrived at MCO.

We also tip housekeeping $5/day. It's not unusual for union members who have collective bargaining agreements to be tipped. Additionally, we consider it a personal service, so it seems more than appropriate.

I use DME all the time. If the driver mentions tips, he gets nothing. I can read, I know about tipping. I will not be told to give him one. I have had drivers that mentioned that 'gratuities are gratefully accepted for exceptional service', but I have to tell you, if they have to mention it, the service is no longer exceptional...at least in my opinion. But, on the other hand, I have had drivers who made my ride to my resort wonderful..and they get a tip even if I don't have a bag that they have handled!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDisney View Post
I tip everyone at WDW at least one dollar. I bring 100 single dollar bills on each trip and any cast member that says anything nice to me gets a dollar. This makes me feel less guilty that I potentially have a job that pays more than a cast member.
Wow. So do you tip people in every day life that probably make less than you do? Most CMs are not allowed to accept tips...you can get them in a boatload of trouble!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomofDisneyLoversx3 View Post
I dont care if it's a 'union non tipped job'. You make $8.46/hr (or whatever ridiculous rate min wage is) and you clean my toilet daily? You get a tip. I tip mousekeeping both am and turndown service using envelopes I make up, valet and bell services. Plus anyone else I can. That I in addition to my waitstaff.

Heather
The vast majority of housekeepers are making much more than minimum wage. Sure, those just starting out make a lot less than those that have been there, but I have to tell you that a lot of housekeepers are making more than my dd who works in a preschool!!!

If you ask at the front desk if housekeeping is a 'tippable' position, you will be told no. Within the resort. only valet and bell services are to be tipped. That's Disney's official stand...do with that what you will.

I have seen rooms that have been trashed by guests. It boggles my mind how some can leave a room in that condition. But, on the other hand, there are a lot of people like me, that leave a room very clean and neat. Other than having to change the beds, not much has to be done!! So, it probably averages out.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #20
owl0306
Mouseketeer

I probably wouldnt mind tipping housekeeping if they did a halfway decent job. Until I see an improvement no tip. Just like if a waiter is awful his tip gets slashed. I tip for good service and do not for subpar service
owl0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:18 PM   #21
norrodh
Earning My Ears

Wow. So do you tip people in every day life that probably make less than you do? Most CMs are not allowed to accept tips...you can get them in a boatload of trouble!!!

Where are you getting your information from that they will get into a boatload of trouble? First of all, if a guest wants to tip a castmember, they can!! Disney never want to insult the guest so if a guest INSISTS on leaving a tip for a housekeeper, bus driver, etc. they are able to do so!! Why is there so much misinformation on here? I know for a fact that the hairwrappers, artists, face painters are all 3rd party vendors and they are allowed to accept tips but because there are people like you who say that cast members can't accept a tip, no one tips them!! I am a former bus driver and we could not ask for tips but if a guest insisted on giving us a tip, we were able to do so as long as if they insisted after us saying NO 3x (which is soooo ridiculous)!! So Guests as long as you keep insisting to give the tip, give it!!! Its funny to me that the servers can accept tips and they dont do as hard of work as alot of others!! Not that they don't work hard but theres alot of buffets, etc. You should tip your housekeepers, your hairwrappers, face painters, bell hop, etc. and the bus driver if they do something special for you!! The Mears bus drivers expect tips and they will be the ones to mention it!!! If disney can nickel and dime you to death with the soda cups, etc. and you accept it then you can give a tip to someone who is doing a service for you personally!!
norrodh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:38 AM   #22
never2old4fun
Earning My Ears

I don't tip housekeeping based on whether they're in a union or not.
I've traveled quite a bit over my many years and don't base tipping on whether the staff is represented or not.

I tip housekeeping usually $4 per night for two adults.....not based on their income but the fact they do a fine job cleaning our room.
never2old4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:26 AM   #23
DisneyFan2013
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDisney View Post
I tip everyone at WDW at least one dollar. I bring 100 single dollar bills on each trip and any cast member that says anything nice to me gets a dollar. This makes me feel less guilty that I potentially have a job that pays more than a cast member.
Sounds crazy to me, but do whatever makes you happy!

July 1997- Dixie Landings
November 2012- Port Orleans-French Quarter
November 2013- Coronado Springs
September 2014- Port Orleans-French Quarter
DisneyFan2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:06 AM   #24
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrodh View Post

Where are you getting your information from that they will get into a boatload of trouble? First of all, if a guest wants to tip a castmember, they can!! Disney never want to insult the guest so if a guest INSISTS on leaving a tip for a housekeeper, bus driver, etc. they are able to do so!! Why is there so much misinformation on here? I know for a fact that the hairwrappers, artists, face painters are all 3rd party vendors and they are allowed to accept tips but because there are people like you who say that cast members can't accept a tip, no one tips them!! I am a former bus driver and we could not ask for tips but if a guest insisted on giving us a tip, we were able to do so as long as if they insisted after us saying NO 3x (which is soooo ridiculous)!! So Guests as long as you keep insisting to give the tip, give it!!! Its funny to me that the servers can accept tips and they dont do as hard of work as alot of others!! Not that they don't work hard but theres alot of buffets, etc. You should tip your housekeepers, your hairwrappers, face painters, bell hop, etc. and the bus driver if they do something special for you!! The Mears bus drivers expect tips and they will be the ones to mention it!!! If disney can nickel and dime you to death with the soda cups, etc. and you accept it then you can give a tip to someone who is doing a service for you personally!!
Where do I get that 'misinformation'? From the myriad of WDW CMs that I know...past and present! One girl I know, that was working at GS in MK, was hard pressed by a guest to accept a tip. She repeated that she was doing her job, and wasn't allowed to take any gratuities! She says they are told to repeat this three times..if the guest is insistent, they can take the tip but have to turn it into their manager.
I have had housekeepers refuse my tip...have been told, by that housekeeper, that she isn't allowed to take a tip! I have had housekeepers leave tips on the counter...day after day. On the other hand, I've had the majority of housekeepers take the tips.

I figure those people who are currently, or in the past, CMs, probably have a good handle on what's appropriate and acceptable. That's where I get my information!
As far as CMs doing something 'special' for me...I'm not sure what that would be. I expect my room to be made up properly. I expect trash to be emptied and beds made, the bathroom area cleaned. That's the housekeepers job. Bus drivers? Some of my favorite people in WDW. But, I expect them to drive the bus safely, and to be friendly when a guest hops on board. That's their job. I'm not sure what a driver is going to do to make my ride more special.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: