Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2014, 01:39 PM   #1
MinnieSummer
DIS Veteran

2Questions about New Years Eve

For the first time we are going to WDW for New Years Eve. We are still doing our Christmas trip but are going to break tradition and go back for New Years EVE only. So my questions are: Which park (including Downtown Disney) should we go to and which hotel should we stay at. I'm not even sure that DTD does anything for NYE now that it is changing so much. Do any of the hotels have big celebrations that would be better than a park? It will be the three of us and my DD15 is open for anything and my DH will go where I decide to go. Sooo suggestions?
Christmas at BLT-MKV 2010
Christmas at CSR 2009,
Christmas at WL Villas 2008
Christmas at SSR 2007
Christmas at GF 2006
Christmas at BWI 2005
Christmas at WL 2004
Christmas at CSR 2003
Christmas at AKL 2002
Christmas at CBR 2001
MinnieSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:56 PM   #2
Sharron379
Mouseketeer

We stayed at the CTP last year for our NYE trip. It was great because we did Hoop Dee Doo that night for dinner and show and then went back to the hotel and watched fireworks on the viewing deck and avoided the park crowd. I must say that trip was a nightmare bc of the crowds and will never do it again, but we still had fun.
Sharron379 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-13-2014, 08:46 PM   #3
MinnieSummer
DIS Veteran

We have always left the day after Christmas to avoid the crowds but for some reason we have always wanted to be there for New Years Eve. I don't know why but it seems like that would be a pretty cool way to celebrate. Our alternative plan is to stay home and watch the ball drop on TV which is what we normally do. Anyway, we are trying to figure out what would be the most fun for all of us. We don't need to do rides, we are looking more for the celebration. Any suggestions would be welcome.

BTW, what does CTP stand for?
Christmas at BLT-MKV 2010
Christmas at CSR 2009,
Christmas at WL Villas 2008
Christmas at SSR 2007
Christmas at GF 2006
Christmas at BWI 2005
Christmas at WL 2004
Christmas at CSR 2003
Christmas at AKL 2002
Christmas at CBR 2001
MinnieSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:27 PM   #4
hockeygirl14
Mouseketeer

I would head over to Epcot and stay at one of the resorts over there like Boardwalk, Beach/Yacht Club and walk on over to the park Lots to do and then you avoid the traffic!

Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique ICP Alumni, Summer 2013
hockeygirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:06 PM   #5
Skywise
DIS Veteran

Gonna try NYE this year. My family hasn't seen MK during the holiday season because most of them work retail (so getting time off from Nov-Christmas is nigh impossible unless you're dead or in jail... and if you're in jail you're required to break out )

We'll be staying for the 30th and the 31st and leaving the first.

I've prebooked the rooms so I can take advantage of the 190 day reservations. For the 30th my plan is to hit MK in the afternoon to catch the Christmas Parade, watch the castle lighting and then have a dinner reservation at BoG and then catch the holiday fireworks (with the dessert party) Rides will be minimal if at all and then will probably be C ticket type rides without major crowds (Mickey's Philharmagic, etc). I suspect my parents will return to the resort before the first midnight "NYE" dry run and I'm deciding if I want to stay in the park for that or try to watch it from outside the park.

For the 31st I plan to hit DHS only to see the Osborne Lights around 6pm and then hit dinner at one of the deluxe resorts, check some Christmas decorations at the resorts around MK and then watch the NYE fireworks from outside MK (probably at one of the resorts). (I'd avoid the parks altogether on the 31st but I'm not sure how else to fit the Osborne Lights in... Although maybe I could do that after Holiday Wishes?)

I suspect the crowds will be heavy on the 30th but not as heavy as the 31st and I'm hoping that DHS isn't as crazy on the 31st as MK or Epcot. Ultimately my 6 goals for the trip are - Get the family to see the MK Christmas decorations, see the christmas parade, castle lighting, see Holiday Wishes, the Osborne Lights and the NYE fireworks display. The way I've got things currently planned out are about the only way I can see it being feasible.

(My original plan was to do this on the 29th and the 30th but vacation times for some family members were already blacked out on the 29th! - Yeah SEVEN MONTHS OUT!)

If anyone has any alternative plans so I can meet my goals with less stress please speak up!

Also, if I recall, AK is pretty much dead on NYE? We haven't been to that park yet - Would it be worthwhile doing it on the morning of the 31st?
Skywise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:25 PM   #6
minniegirl19
Mouseketeer

epcot in my opinion has the best celebration. there are DJs and parties going on in every country and the fireworks are great! I would go there in a heartbeat but think about adding an extra day and staying the 30th so you can see MKs fireworks too
1995 All Stars, 1997 All Stars, 1998 Polynesian ,1999 Port Orleans Riverside, 2000 All Stars, 2001 All Stars, 2002 Polynesian, 2003 All Stars/ Swan and Dolphin, 2004 All Stars, 2005 Polynesian, 2011 All Stars, 2012 Disney College Program, 2012 All Stars, 2013 Pop Century, Disneyland May 2013, August 2013 Art of Animation, August 2014 Wilderness Lodge
minniegirl19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:33 PM   #7
robinb
DIS Veteran

Can you return for 2 days? The MK shows their NYE fireworks on the 30th so you can enjoy them a bit early. We always do Epcot for NYE itself. It is very crowded but fun. If you don't want to brave the parks the Boardwalk has a DJ for the night and you can see a lot of the fireworks from there. I have also heard of a party at SSR. You may want to consider renting DVC points for a cheaper way to be onsite. If you have SPG points, you can book at the Swan or Dolphin.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:43 AM   #8
dis_guy
DIS Veteran

+1 for EPCOT!

I think it's the best NYE celebration by far and it can handle very huge crowds which is exactly what you will get!
Old 05-14-2014, 11:48 AM   #9
Ksquared
Mouseketeer

We were at Disney this year for the first time for NYE but we stayed offsite for our trip. So we decided not to spend NYE itself in a park (crowds were pretty heavy on the 30th and we've heard it can take hours to get out of the parking lot on the 31st if you drive).

We spent the day from afternoon into the evening at Downtown Disney. We had allot of fun. We left before midnight as the kids wanted to go back and swim but it was festive and we enjoyed the atmosphere.

If I was staying onsite, I'd stay at a Boardwalk resort. If I was choosing a park, it would be EPCOT. If you don't care about fighting the crowds in a park, then go with a Downtown Disney resort and spend time there. Fantasia mini golf is another fun thing to do that day too. You can go over earlier in day and reserve your time.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:21 PM   #10
Skywise
DIS Veteran

Anyone know how crowded the waterparks are on NYE? (assuming the weather is accomodating. )
Old 05-14-2014, 01:19 PM   #11
robinb
DIS Veteran

I would book your night(s) ASAP as things will book up even at outrageous pricing.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:32 PM   #12
Skywise
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
I would book your night(s) ASAP as things will book up even at outrageous pricing.
That's an understatement!
Old 05-14-2014, 02:01 PM   #13
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
That's an understatement!
The ALL STARS is $180 per night , but staying on property is never more important than over NYE. OP, if you have Starwood points, the Swolphin is just 10,000 points for the night. That would be your best bet IMO.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:12 PM   #14
karenklo
DIS Veteran

We were just there this past NYE. First the MK does a trial run of the NYE fireworks on the 30th. It was great to see them a day early. On the 31st we did AK during the day then hopped over to Epcot at 2 pm. AK was packed, just like every place else! We had a great time! Just took our time and really enjoyed the park! At Epcot it was very packed! We were going to stay till midnight but got tired and headed back at 10pm to POR. It was a great trip. Despite the crowds, we had fun! FP+ helped with planning.I would love to go back this year, but not sure about timing it this year.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:41 PM   #15
Poohs Pal
DIS Veteran
Beautiful and smart so she says

We have been to Disney 2 x for NYE. We don't bother with the parks until after that so can't say which park to choose. We stayed both time's at the BWV. The older adults went to Jellyrolls. The little one's and their parents partied on the village green. They had a blast. They give out hats and horn's and have a D.J along with a very BIG dance party. I did sneak out of Jellyrolls and join the kids for about an hour and really enjoyed myself. It was my niece with her 5 year olds twin girls and my DD bought them a princess crown and wand for the party. They looked so cute dancing. The NYE energy on that Village Green was amazing... Looking forward to being able to do this again when their baby sister is old enough to enjoy.
Poohs Pal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: