Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 06:49 PM   #31
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

You people actually READ those posts?
Old 01-14-2013, 08:31 PM   #32
avgeek81
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by talulabelle View Post
the crowd that uses FB to mourn their lost loved ones. OK, I am really not being heartless here. I totally understand the posts right after losing someone. But then, at some point you just need to stop (on FB at least) I have a couple that are weekly posting things like "I still miss you mom" "CLick like and share this picture of a candle if you love someone in Heaven" I know this sounds heartless, but after a while you need to remember your loved one more privately, "talking" to them on fb is not getting the message to them any better than just talking to them in your own heart. Like, basically, don't drag me into your mourning with you. Every damn week and every anniversary of a death , getting a lot of people to "like" your post isn't going to make you feel better. Please.
Last week was my mothers birthday and it was also my dad's(yes they had the same birthday) and my aunt's(moms twin sister) who are both passed away. I wrote a status saying happy birthday to my mom and tagged her in it. I was going to write a seperate post about my dad and aunt but I couldnt get the wording right and I didnt want people think I was oversharing. But I also didnt want family to think I forgot about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugardimples View Post
I don't like to see pictures of someone's ultrasound. It feels way too intimate to me.
My mom feels the same way. I told her I know who is pregnant does it.
avgeek81 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #33
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioNate View Post
Why don't you just hide these people? Its a serious question. I always why people keep reading when they are annoyed.

Unsubscribe from their updates. Takes like 2 clicks. There are tons of different options to customize what you see in your news feed.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #34
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

So I'm not going to get my million dollars from Bill Gates? Good thing I've been helping out that Nigerian prince then..
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:04 AM   #35
talulabelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioNate View Post
Why don't you just hide these people? Its a serious question. I always why people keep reading when they are annoyed.

Unsubscribe from their updates. Takes like 2 clicks. There are tons of different options to customize what you see in your news feed.
I have defriended a couple people and hid a few people entirely - one was always bashing Christians (defriended) another posted really inappropriate stuff (defriended) - the ones I have hid are high school friends - one is always posting conspiracy theory anti-government stuff which is just way crazy - he is a nice enough guy and I run into him occacasionally - so I don't want to defriend, but I definatey don't look at what he posts to fb either...the other is a high school friend that posts everytime a thought pops in her head - I hid her posts too. But the rest of the annoying ones are from people that are very much in my life - one is my SIL - one is the mother of one of my sons best friends. I don't want to miss all their posts- but am just so annoyed with most of them.See , for every annoying poster tht you just hide, there is someone that is related to them that can't just "hide"them.
talulabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #36
moon
DIS Veteran

How about the opposite of TMI? I'm talking about the cryptic post, such as "oh, I knew this would happen". They get asked what do they mean, but they never reply
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:29 AM   #37
RadioNate
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have defriended a couple people and hid a few people entirely - one was always bashing Christians (defriended) another posted really inappropriate stuff (defriended) - the ones I have hid are high school friends - one is always posting conspiracy theory anti-government stuff which is just way crazy - he is a nice enough guy and I run into him occacasionally - so I don't want to defriend, but I definatey don't look at what he posts to fb either...the other is a high school friend that posts everytime a thought pops in her head - I hid her posts too. But the rest of the annoying ones are from people that are very much in my life - one is my SIL - one is the mother of one of my sons best friends. I don't want to miss all their posts- but am just so annoyed with most of them.See , for every annoying poster tht you just hide, there is someone that is related to them that can't just "hide"them.
But why can't you? You can always type there name in and go to their page if you would like to see what they are up to. I'm sure I have people I'm related to that I've hidden.

They don't know you hide them.

You can also customize the types of updates you get. Don't want to see their annoying status updates? You can hide those while still getting notices when they post photos. You can hide game posts (which I do for nearly everyone) and keep other things. You can choose to get All updates, Most or Some.

You can block Country Outfitters as a whole. Just do it.

I control my facebook experience so I'm never annoyed...or I just don't care enough to get annoyed by anything any one posts.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #38
4greatboys
I will be proud to wear my lime green ribbon and will be on the lookout for others
I have 4 boys-fortunately for me the 2 littles smell pretty good ;-)
YaYa Sister

Quote:
What I wish I could post to my facebook wall:

"People, if you click like and comment on a stupid picture to "see what happens" NOTHING will happen! NOTHING except that all of your friends will be seeing that you were dumb enough to comment on the stupid picture and that you are gullible. Furthermore, no one on this planet, and most espcially FB will not donate a $1 for a like and $2 for a "share" of a horrific picture of a child suffering from a disease. Again, the only thing that will happen is all of your fb friends will see how dumb you are. Also, even if COuntry Outfitter is giving away one darn pair of boots- your chances of winning that stupid pair of boots is less than winning the Powerball jackpot, because every other idiot on the planet already liked and shared that stupid picture. All you are doing is providing Country Outfitter with free advertising on your wall. Also, that stupid picture started about 12 months ago and I'm sure they already gave the boots away...however people continue to share their ad!!!! It's over! DO you hear me?! It's over!!!! Stop posting the boots to my news feed!. WHile I'm ranting, lets also talk about your posts about your damn blogs. No one cares. Blah Blah Blah Blah. Yea yea, we all have kids, we all have jobs, we all do it. You are not funny. You think that you are more clever and more witty describing your boring life than the next person. You're not. I can read 100 blogs and they are all the same. Blah Blah Blah. SO just shut up and get out there and LIVE your life and stop trying to document it and impress us with it. Ok?

OK, we all understand? Ok, thanks I feel better "

Ah, if only I could post this ....

Thanks for the laugh this morning, I totally agree.

4greatboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #39
SC Minnie
Are we there yet???
Buying toilet paper is like flushing money down the toilet.
The folded over ones are the absolute best!!!

I hid my aunt and uncle because of all their politcal posts. It was just too much. DD actually unfriended them over it. I also hid my SIL's sister because all she ever posted was wanting people to buy Mary Kay or whatever thing she was selling. I got tired of seeing it.

Most of the other people that bother me haven't made themselves enough of a nuisance yet to be hidden or unfriended. I have done the thinks RadioNate talked about and adjusted what I see from people as they start to irritate me.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #40
ChrizJen
I am not a Koala Bear at the zoo!!
Sorry about the lack of linkage
Oh, I can't believe what I let you people rope me into!!

Over the course of a few years, many of the girls I went to high school have found and friended me on FB. It was fine, but most of them weren't much more than classmates and acquaintances even in high school. I was never very close with any of them...And now I remember why...

The DRAMA!!! OMG, I had forgotten how painfully dramatic these girls were. And they're STILL creating the same kind of drama in their lives...
"When am I going to find a good man?!?"...
"Why can't I get my life together?!?!"...
"I'm FINALLY going to stop letting people walk all over me!"...
"Does anyone have a spare car I could borrow, just for a couple of weeks until I can get mine fixed?" (yeah, that was a real one...)

You are 40 years old people...40!! If you haven't gotten your life together at this point, you should get off of Facebook and find yourself a good life coach. You're not a little girl anymore. You're a woman. Grow up and act like it. And most of these women have kids mixed up in all of this mess...
*SIGH*

I've had to unfriend mostly all of them because it depresses me that about 85-90% of the girls I went to high school with have amounted to little more than drama queens who are still waiting for someone to come along and fix all of their problems...

I'll stick with my college friends...LOL
Old 01-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #41
HippieChickadee
Mouseketeer

I deleted facebook back in may because of the stupidity. (and yes, mostly family, as someone else mentioned)

I couldn't stand the drama.

I couldn't stand the "I'm a perfect mother because look at all the things I do for/with my kids"

And as someone else brought up, "My kid(s) need something but I can't afford it, woe is me, I'm going to by my pack of cigarettes"

I don't need to know you are taking a shower now. I don't need to know you cooked dinner. I don't care that you are watching american idol.

GET OFF THE DAMN COMPUTER BECAUSE YOUR POSTS LOOK AS IF THEY HAVE BEEN AVERAGING EVERY 5 MINUTES AT THIS POINT! GO OUTSIDE!

Wow, thanks, didn't know I had to vent.
HippieChickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #42
chiefmickeymouse
DIS Veteran

I have many petty Facebook annoyances, but my favorite right now is my niece. I call her my "Yes, pleaser". Example: Chocolate cake, Yes, please! Margarita, Yes, Please! We are treated to a couple of these gems a day.

In the Also Annoying category:

Women who call small children "littles".

Women who use the word "presh". I think this is supposed to be cutesy slang for precious.

Just stop it already!
chiefmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #43
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
How about the opposite of TMI? I'm talking about the cryptic post, such as "oh, I knew this would happen". They get asked what do they mean, but they never reply
Ah yes, those people. They are another special form of drama queen, aren't they. What annoys me is when they will post something like, "I can't believe that *beep* did that. *Beep*'s about to get real." Then someone will bite and ask them what is going on to which they respond, "text me". Uh, you choose to post this stuff to make it public and then you want to get all private about it? And why should they have to text you? They asked you what was going on already. Why don't you just text them with what is going on rather then having them ask you twice?

*1993 - CBR* *1996 - CR* *1999 - Poly* *2005 - College Program* *2005 - CBR* *2006 - Off site* *2008 - ASMu* *2012 - Pop* *2012 - POR* *2013 - All Star Sports* *2013 - Disneyland* *2014 - ASMO* *2014 - AoA* *2014 - WL* *2015 - POR* *2015 - CR*

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:18 PM   #44
CheekyRose
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
Ah yes, those people. They are another special form of drama queen, aren't they. What annoys me is when they will post something like, "I can't believe that *beep* did that. *Beep*'s about to get real." Then someone will bite and ask them what is going on to which they respond, "text me". Uh, you choose to post this stuff to make it public and then you want to get all private about it? And why should they have to text you? They asked you what was going on already. Why don't you just text them with what is going on rather then having them ask you twice?
Oh yes, the attention seekers! I've got one adult FB friend who does this, but usually it's teenagers.
CheekyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #45
talulabelle
DIS Veteran

I can't stand the cryptic posts either. One I saw the other day from one of my chronic cryptic posting friends was "another one bites the dust". So, I could care less what bit the dust and I just scroll on, cuz if she can't tell me straight off the first time, I can't be bothered to ask. But of course, someones curiosity just gets to them and they ask "another what?" SO now that she feels like someone actually cares, she goes on to describe that another one of her kids just came down with the flu. Why not just say in the first post "Now Jane has come down with the flu"? Of course, then that would put her inthe posting every boring detail of her life category I guess. SO it's a lose-lose situation.

I also hate the ones that post private jokes and others that are in on it chime in . THen some poor sap asks, what are you guys talking about? and they don't answer. It reminds me of the juvenial mean tactics of high school where a person that is not "in" the crowd is ignored. So petty. If you don't want to let everyone in on the joke or story, keep it off FB and text each other privately for God's sake. We don't want to be your audience and we don't think you're cute, cool , or clever.
(funny enough, this came from the same cryptic poster I described above - she is a grown woman and SO immature!)

I also hate when some on will post "RIP John Doe" or something similar and then people who know what happened to John Doe add their sympathies and someone who had no idea John Doe is no longer with us asks "what happened to John?! I saw him last week!" and NO ONE ANSWERS! Or maybe they privately message the person because they feel it is wrong in someway to post on fb how poor old John met with his demise - YET FOR SOME REASON they think it is perfectly fine to announce to everyone on fb that John is gone. Just annoying!
talulabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: