Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #16
TheAviator
I don't always live dangerously, but when I do, I prefer to do it at Taco Bell

LOL, I guess I look at it as that's just facebook. I do particularly enjoy those that try to make their lives look sooooo perfect when you know something ain't right, and I've actually known a few that were in affairs that would do that about their spouses, that is about as low as you can go IMO. But that's also pretty rare. Most people are just boring with the, "OK I guess I'll do some laundry today and little Johnny has to get new shoes" Oh wow, that is so awesome thank you for sharing that, so exciting.
TheAviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #17
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

My personal "favorite" is the one that says FB is going to start charging unless you post this onto your wall. I had 1 friend that did a couple weeks ago, I said "this is hoax, FB isn't going to start charging" then 3 more of her friends shared it on their wall and made comments like "better safe than sorry" so I finally posted the Snopes link on her page. lol I block the pictures of abused children and animals, I use FB for fun, not to see things I know exist already.
Oh and Country Outfitters, they are constantly giving away boots, so yes, I'll constantly enter because I work at a country bar so I wear boots 1-4 times a week.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2013, 02:15 PM   #18
talulabelle
DIS Veteran

how about the one that was some really stupidly worded legal disclaimer where people were "proclaiming" that they owned copyright to everything posted on their wall and that it was personal property not to be shared.Ha! Um if it's personal property not to be shared , here is a tip... DONT POST IT ON FB! I posted the snopes artical about it being a hoax to many people who posted it and people would not read the comments and still post under miy post "oh, wow, thanks! I'll post this right away" Stupid sheep I tell you.
talulabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #19
SC Minnie
Are we there yet???
Buying toilet paper is like flushing money down the toilet.
The folded over ones are the absolute best!!!

The ones that get me are the posts about 'I need a job so bad, my baby is sick and I can't afford medicine, etc' then the next day 'getting a new tat or piercing today!'. Use the $ for that tattoo or piercing to get medicine for your baby. (and yes, this was family )
Old 01-14-2013, 02:41 PM   #20
CheekyRose
Mouseketeer

I'm with you, OP, and I LOVE that you mentioned Country Outfitters. That's the one thing that annoys me the most lately. It wouldn't be so bad if it just popped up once when a friend originally "likes" the picture, but I get their paid advertisements, every freakin' day, telling me "so and so likes Country Outfitters". I don't care! In fact, every time I see that darn picture, the boots get uglier and uglier because I'm so sick of being spammed by them. I noticed recently a friend of mine "liked" a page called something like "shut up about country outfitters", lol, that's the page for me, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxePrincess View Post
I hate the uber-happy, seemingly perfect life people the most....especially when I know the truth. Then there's the TMI crowd. I don't need to know that your daughter lost her virginity, thank you.
eewwwwww!

Quote:
Originally Posted by talulabelle View Post
Ha ha! I have the TMIers also. They like to talk about their colonoscopys and such.

2 other trends I'm noticing are the people that use fb to rant at people (like their ex or the people at work) (I don't do that, I use the DIS for that! Ha!)

and the crowd that uses FB to mourn their lost loved ones. OK, I am really not being heartless here. I totally understand the posts right after losing someone. But then, at some point you just need to stop (on FB at least) I have a couple that are weekly posting weekly things like "I still miss you mom" "CLick like and share this picture of a candle if you love someone in Heaven" I know this sounds heartless, but after a while you need to remember your loved one more privately, "talking" to them on fb is not getting the message to them any better than just talking to them in your own heart. Like, basically, don't drag me into your mourning with you. Every damn week and every anniversary of a death , getting a lot of people to "like" your post isn't going to make you feel better. Please.
I don't know anyone who overdoes the mourning posts. If they're doing it every week that's a bit much, but lots of my friends will say something on the anniversary of a loved ones death, or on the person's birthday, at Christmastime if they loved the holiday, etc. Often, I knew the deceased too, and I like being able to share a memory or give my friend a virtual "hug". I've also shared my feelings on FB about the loved ones I've lost. Talking about the deceased can be very therapeutic, and the heartfelt comments from my friends DO make me feel better.
CheekyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:01 PM   #21
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

For me, the one friend I have that drives me the most batty is the girl I went to high school with who is going through a divorce. They married when she was 17 so it isn't exactly shocking that the marriage didn't last. From what I have gathered from her posts, he cheated. Anyway, now she posts something like 15 different pictures a day with captions about breakups. Some jewels:
"Wanna keep your girl? Respect her, care for her, love her, text her first, make sure she knows how you feel about her, and never lie."

"One day she'll start sending you mixed signals and you'll get made because she finally learned how to play your game."

"A real man never hurts a woman."

"Don't be in a relationship if you are incapable of being faithful."

"Talking about a past relationship doesn't mean you're still stuck on it. Sometimes it means you're reminding yourself what not to put up with."

"Real love doesn't care about body type, model looks, or wallet size. It is more concerned with what is inside."

Where oh where did we go to air our dirty laundry before Mr. Zuckerberg came along?

*1993 - CBR* *1996 - CR* *1999 - Poly* *2005 - College Program* *2005 - CBR* *2006 - Off site* *2008 - ASMu* *2012 - Pop* *2012 - POR Royal Guest Room* *2013 - All Star Sports* *2013 - Disneyland* *2014 - ASMO* *2014 - AoA* *2014 - WL* *2015 - POR Royal Guest Room*

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:05 PM   #22
TheAviator
I don't always live dangerously, but when I do, I prefer to do it at Taco Bell

Can one of you facebook experts answer this. I got on facebook to expand my friends and to network, so naturally I send out a lot of friend requests. Never to someone that I don't have mutual friends with, but strangers nonthe less. Last week when I was doing this, I got a notice that I was not allowed to send friend requests for 7 days. Does anyone know if this is due to someone complaining or was Facebook just doing it on its own? I didn't send out that many, and about half of them were accepted, so I don't get why Facebook has a problem with this. How does it even know if I don't in fact know these people personally?
TheAviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:16 PM   #23
Li Li
Mouseketeer

Lol! My favorite is that apparently I hate Jesus if I don't share his picture.

Sorry, PP, I don't know what is up with the friend requests issue.
Li Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:16 PM   #24
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAviator View Post
Can one of you facebook experts answer this. I got on facebook to expand my friends and to network, so naturally I send out a lot of friend requests. Never to someone that I don't have mutual friends with, but strangers nonthe less. Last week when I was doing this, I got a notice that I was not allowed to send friend requests for 7 days. Does anyone know if this is due to someone complaining or was Facebook just doing it on its own? I didn't send out that many, and about half of them were accepted, so I don't get why Facebook has a problem with this. How does it even know if I don't in fact know these people personally?

I've never heard of that but I do know of a local TV entertainer who had to stop accepting friend requests because he hit the ceiling of how many friends he could have.

I DO like the contests, though. I've won a few and so has my sister. I'll keep liking things just to win stuff.
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:32 PM   #25
DeluxePrincess
Humming the Farm Town song...

Quote:
How does it even know if I don't in fact know these people personally?
When you reject someone's friend request it asks if you know them personally. If you get too many "no" answers, I think you get this message. Apparently too many people turned down your requests and answered that they didn't know you. My MIL is on Facebook and plays bingo games. She sent out tons of friend requests to help her in the game. She got the same message you did.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #26
superme80
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
For me, the one friend I have that drives me the most batty is the girl I went to high school with who is going through a divorce. They married when she was 17 so it isn't exactly shocking that the marriage didn't last. From what I have gathered from her posts, he cheated. Anyway, now she posts something like 15 different pictures a day with captions about breakups. Some jewels:
"Wanna keep your girl? Respect her, care for her, love her, text her first, make sure she knows how you feel about her, and never lie."

"One day she'll start sending you mixed signals and you'll get made because she finally learned how to play your game."

"A real man never hurts a woman."

"Don't be in a relationship if you are incapable of being faithful."

"Talking about a past relationship doesn't mean you're still stuck on it. Sometimes it means you're reminding yourself what not to put up with."

"Real love doesn't care about body type, model looks, or wallet size. It is more concerned with what is inside."

Where oh where did we go to air our dirty laundry before Mr. Zuckerberg came along?
My cousin's ex wife does this. Some are funny, but ugh. Enough!
DH-42 ME-34 DS #1-5 DS #2 3 DS #3 1 year old
superme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:48 PM   #27
RadioNate
DIS Veteran

Why don't you just hide these people? Its a serious question. I always why people keep reading when they are annoyed.

Unsubscribe from their updates. Takes like 2 clicks. There are tons of different options to customize what you see in your news feed.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #28
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Quote:
It's because they think you are spamming people with requests, it doesn't really matter how many you send, it matters how many people say "no" and say they don't know you outside of FB. I don't send a lot of requests but I get them because of my second job, I do accept the ones I know but others I say No to.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #29
superme80
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioNate View Post
Why don't you just hide these people? Its a serious question. I always why people keep reading when they are annoyed.

Unsubscribe from their updates. Takes like 2 clicks. There are tons of different options to customize what you see in your news feed.
For me there is a lot of other post that I WANT to see. If the post get to be too much I will hide individual post. It takes a lot for me to actually hide a person.
DH-42 ME-34 DS #1-5 DS #2 3 DS #3 1 year old
superme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:43 PM   #30
penn19
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
I hate the over share about kids. Yes, I know you are excited that they used the potty. But I don't need to hear about it on FB!
Check out www.stfuparentsblog.com . It covers all the over sharing on Facebook. Some of it is really bad.
penn19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: