Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #46
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

I'm in the minority as well I guess. I would never leave an infant or small child in a car alone, running or not. That is just so unsafe! If parent A needs to walk her child in she needs to take the infant in as well. I don't care about letting the car run, I care about the safety of the child. When this happened near us we called the police, and stayed on the phone with the dispatcher until she was able to get a police car close enough to pull the guy over. This was during the summer, in 100+ degree weather, car was OFF, windows were UP, no a/c running and the baby was screaming in the backseat, his sister was trying to calm him down but it wasn't happening. We sat there for 5 minutes (DBF was at the ATM) with the a/c on and no one came out, the line inside was HUGE and we had no way of knowing who was with the kids so I called the police, he came out 10 minutes later and I have no idea how long they had been waiting. We tried to open the doors (at the dispatchers request) and they were locked. We followed the guy out of the lot, told dispatch he was going the same way we were going and a cop caught up to him a minute or two later and pulled him over. No idea what happened after that but the guy didn't even try to comfort his screaming kid (assuming it was his kid), he just got in his car and left. so ya, I would have called the police.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #47
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapquitler

with my car, I can't push the lock button on the remote to lock the doors while the car is running, but I CAN press the lock button on the door to lock them if the car is running (and in fact, as soon as I put the car into gear, they lock automatically).
Also, if my car is running and I have a door open--the door lock won't work either. This prevented me from locking my keys in a couple of times when my remote's battery was dead and I got into the habit of locking the doors using the button in the door before closing my door.

When I was a kid, my mom would leave me and my sis (we couldn't have been more that 6 and 8 at the most) in the car while she would go into the grocery store. Gone for more than 10 minutes to be sure--and it was perfectly acceptable, although it gives me the creeps now. Times have changed! She would leave the keys in the ignition. If we had been less afraid of the wrath of mom, we could have gotten into some trouble "pretending" to drive
Dream 4-night Bahamas Halloween 2012
Fantasy 7-night Western 9/12
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #48
CheekyRose
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
Smash the window and steal the baby ?!? The paranoia of some on the DIS never fails to amuse me.

I personally don't think it's a big deal to leave an infant in a car seat under these circumstances as long as the A/C or heat is on to keep the climate in the car at a safe level. A bigger concern for me would be that the parent would get into the habit of leaving the baby in a car and might forget him/her in the car when they go to work. Babies tragically die every year from being forgotten in hot or cold cars.
Call it paranoia if you like, I call it awareness. It can, and has, happened. Not often, but the possibility is there and for me, not worth the minor inconvenience of carrying the baby into the school when dropping off the older one.
CheekyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:32 PM   #49
wdw_girl_18
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennesawNemo View Post
Maybe my cars are old and cheap, but how do you lock your car and keep it running at the same time?
Remote start!
Old 01-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #50
Sam81
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheekyRose View Post
Call it paranoia if you like, I call it awareness. It can, and has, happened. Not often, but the possibility is there and for me, not worth the minor inconvenience of carrying the baby into the school when dropping off the older one.
I totally agree! We have called the authorities numerous times because parents had their children in unsafe motor vehicles. If your automobile does not meet the highest crash test ratings and we see you out - phone call.
Sam81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #51
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Find me ONE legitimate news story where someone smashed a car window to steal a baby. One. Parental "awareness" is a good thing, but it is wasted and dulled when used for worrying about remote "possibilities" like someone smashing a car window to steal a baby .
Old 01-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #52
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam81 View Post
I totally agree! We have called the authorities numerous times because parents had their children in unsafe motor vehicles. If your automobile does not meet the highest crash test ratings and we see you out - phone call.
What?
msjprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #53
Heidict
I'm not witty enough for a tag... but you can count on me to save all the good deleted posts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewings71 View Post
I'm in the minority as well I guess. I would never leave an infant or small child in a car alone, running or not. That is just so unsafe! If parent A needs to walk her child in she needs to take the infant in as well. I don't care about letting the car run, I care about the safety of the child. When this happened near us we called the police, and stayed on the phone with the dispatcher until she was able to get a police car close enough to pull the guy over. This was during the summer, in 100+ degree weather, car was OFF, windows were UP, no a/c running and the baby was screaming in the backseat, his sister was trying to calm him down but it wasn't happening. We sat there for 5 minutes (DBF was at the ATM) with the a/c on and no one came out, the line inside was HUGE and we had no way of knowing who was with the kids so I called the police, he came out 10 minutes later and I have no idea how long they had been waiting. We tried to open the doors (at the dispatchers request) and they were locked. We followed the guy out of the lot, told dispatch he was going the same way we were going and a cop caught up to him a minute or two later and pulled him over. No idea what happened after that but the guy didn't even try to comfort his screaming kid (assuming it was his kid), he just got in his car and left. so ya, I would have called the police.
That situation is so different then the OP though. How horrible for that poor baby. I don't blame you for calling the cops and I think most of us here would do the same thing in that situation. I can't imagine how hot it must have been in that car. I hope there was hell to pay when the cop pulled him over.

In the OP situation, I don't think I would do it. My DH drops off our oldest at the schools before care program ever morning before bringing our infant to the babysitters and he always brings her in with him even though the school is remote and it literally takes him 2-3 minutes. It just takes a few seconds to pop the car seat out and back in.

Heidict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:50 PM   #54
Heidict
I'm not witty enough for a tag... but you can count on me to save all the good deleted posts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjprincess View Post
What?
I know, I was thinking the same thing. So, this person doesn't like the look of your car, doesn't feel it meets their standard of safety, so they call the cops? Wonder how that call goes down.

Heidict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:52 PM   #55
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam81 View Post
Please tell me you're kidding.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:57 PM   #56
sunshinehighway
DIS Veteran

If its legal to leave the child in the car, I don't see what the problem is. Is parent B going to call the police and tell them parent a is doing something legal?

There are many things people do that I wouldn't or don't agree with. As long as what they are doing is legal, its not my place to say anything.
sunshinehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #57
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
There is also a (more likely) possibility that you will be run over in the parking lot.

"Hello, I notice you left your baby in the car. I know it's not illegal, but I am uncomfortable with your decisions as a parent, so please do things my way."

BTW, I've never done it, and carrying 2 infant carseats across a parking lot and down a flight of stairs was not fun that year, especially since I then drove to another school, parked down the street, and loaded those seats into a snap and go to pick up the next kid. However, I do what I feel is best for MY children. Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable, so I'm bringing them for selfish reasons. If someone wants to leave a baby in the locked car for 5 minutes - more power to them.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #58
wgeo
That's the kind of day where you can't open your mouth without a song jumping right out of it!

Parent B would have a big problem at my DD's elementary school. This school requires parents to pick up their kindergarten aged kids BUT the parents are not allowed inside the school building (for safety reasons!). So the parents walk up the back door, right off of the parking lot and stand there until the teacher standing in the doorway identifies the parent and sends the kindergarten child out to their parent. And since our city has no bus service that means 90 parents/caretakers standing in line outside waiting to be seen by the teacher.

I live in WI and sometimes it is crazy cold out or just bad weather in general, and seriously probably 15 cars at a time are sitting in the parking lot, running, with younger kids in them.

If you would ask me if it was a good idea I would say no, but then when it was me in that situation I did leave my youngest in their car seat in a running car a couple of times when the wind chill was below zero, I figured it was the lesser of two evils. Didn't feel great about it, but I did it.

DH me DS 10 DD 9

WDW Trips: 1982, 1987, 1994, 2011, 2012, 2014
Disney Magic: 2014
wgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #59
Dallas_Lady
I only work for the vacation money

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim929 View Post
If parent B was so concerned, why didn't they say something directly to parent A. I don't agree with leaving the baby in the car, but I wouldn't of said anything I would of just sat in my car til the parent came back.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakiraMarlena View Post
If Parent A is leaving the child in the car for less then 10 minutes, and state law says they can do so for up to 10 minutes, then Parent A is not violating state law. Parent B would get nothing out of going to the police in that instance. .
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
I think that Parent B is the one that needs to be talked to. Leaving a baby isn't ideal but if it's legal then they should mind their own business. Plus you don't videotape like that.
And This.
Dallas_Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #60
Sam81
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
Please tell me you're kidding.
Why take a chance? I feel better notifying the authorities that a child could potentially be in an unsafe situation. Literally two weeks ago my wife notified that authorities of 2 children in a 2011 Sienna. That mini-van only received three stars on the frontal impact test. Those children could potentially be at risk in a front collision! Again why take the chance!
Sam81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: